• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Slings used on M4 rifles in Iraq / Afghanistan?

Re: Slings used on M4 rifles in Iraq / Afghanistan?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: g3ninfinite</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stockton</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J.J. McQuade</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stockton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A single point sling is my choice. Transition and hands free are optimal. M4 is never on my back so a two point is total shit. </div></div>

I've yet to find a quick way to secure a single point sling. It is always flopping around and in the way. It is difficult to move quickly without controlling it with at least one hand. There are times when your m4 may need to be out of the way, like running to the breach with a charge that requires 2 hands, climbing a wall or building, moving a casualty or anything else that really requires 2 hands.
Taking a knee with a single point and your hands full pretty much puts your muzzle in the dirt, snow or mud. Or worse in a casualties face. An uncontrolled hot barrel especially if you have been shooting suppressed can be a hazard.
I believe single point slings have their place, but to say that your weapon will never be on your back is a pretty narrow minded view of combat and situations that may arise. </div></div>

I think either you are Retarded,a PV1, a Pogue, or a deployed FOBit. I never said YOU would never put your weapon on your back. I said "I never put it on mine". PAY ATTENTION. A weapons catch...thing that catches your weapon to your side will keep muzzle out of the dirt and from dangling while you jerk off at whatever you are doing. Another dipshit! </div></div>

I think he said somewhere else that he was SF.
</div></div>

Doesnt matter and dont change anything.

DZ-

I wouldn't go so far as to call the average soldier a shit bag. In the nature of this fight and how it relates to garrison life, there are many other things to consider.

Yes, depending on the platoon, changes can be made within that platoon. Again, a specific example to counter a generalized statement. However, given the inarguable fact that most soldiers simply do not seek the same goal as we do here ( to improve use and application of weapon systems outside of what we are paid to do), the same argument could be made against soldiers who don't do crossfit every day after work. Most don't need to, to pass their PT test. The Army dictates they pass, not pull a 300 while wearing body armor. Same thing applies to shooting. The Army dictates that they pass rifle Qual. A lot of joes simply can't afford or can't access and retain personal weapons. Most don't. Some do. Good for the ones that do.

I think we are running along different sides of the same fence, with the same goal in mind. Obviously our experiences are different, so this will color our opinions.

Keep in mind, you are not an average soldier. I would say most here, if they are here to learn improvements as applicable to their job, are not average soldiers.

As CMS said, the average guy works with what he is issued. That's the bottom line. Until doctrine is changed to address the inadequacy of that, then yes- doctrine matters.

Not quite sure what your experiences have been regarding these issues.

In an attempt to make sure I was not missing something, I posed my original statement that you took issue with, in the form of a question, to some friends (some still in boots, some out).

These friends include but are not limited to: 1LT previously assigned to 1-12INF with recent experience in A'stan and avid off-work shooter and competitor when he has time, a former 82nd guy, a current Drill Sergeant, and a former SFC who retired from the 82nd and has held multiple positions including as a sniper in all 3 types of Big Army divisions (Mech, Light, Airborne).

They all agreed, the average guy uses his sling as nothing more than a way to hold his weapon. As such, the whiz bang features that we here desire and find useful, are meaningless to the average guy.

Gunfighting is such a small part of the fight today, that it is simply just glossed over. Other things are at the forefront of the training. This is sad, when the fight transitions to the shooting part.

Still waiting on your list of why I posted "vile disinformation" as it applies to the average guy.

Shit bags are shit bags, they are not average.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stockton</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J.J. McQuade</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stockton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A single point sling is my choice. Transition and hands free are optimal. M4 is never on my back so a two point is total shit. </div></div>

I've yet to find a quick way to secure a single point sling. It is always flopping around and in the way. It is difficult to move quickly without controlling it with at least one hand. There are times when your m4 may need to be out of the way, like running to the breach with a charge that requires 2 hands, climbing a wall or building, moving a casualty or anything else that really requires 2 hands.
Taking a knee with a single point and your hands full pretty much puts your muzzle in the dirt, snow or mud. Or worse in a casualties face. An uncontrolled hot barrel especially if you have been shooting suppressed can be a hazard.
I believe single point slings have their place, but to say that your weapon will never be on your back is a pretty narrow minded view of combat and situations that may arise. </div></div>

I think either you are Retarded,a PV1, a Pogue, or a deployed FOBit. I never said YOU would never put your weapon on your back. I said "I never put it on mine". PAY ATTENTION. A weapons catch...thing that catches your weapon to your side will keep muzzle out of the dirt and from dangling while you jerk off at whatever you are doing. Another dipshit! </div></div>
Just talking yourself deeper into the heaping pile of shit you started to try to make us eat with your previous posts. Grow up and if you have something wise to add then please skip the one point sling BS you were trying to sell.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stockton</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J.J. McQuade</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stockton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A single point sling is my choice. Transition and hands free are optimal. M4 is never on my back so a two point is total shit. </div></div>

I think either you are Retarded,a PV1, a Pogue, or a deployed FOBit. I never said YOU would never put your weapon on your back. I said "I never put it on mine". PAY ATTENTION. A weapons catch...thing that catches your weapon to your side will keep muzzle out of the dirt and from dangling while you jerk off at whatever you are doing. Another dipshit!</div></div>

Different slings different purposes. Single point slings can be awesome, or they can suck. Single points work great when you have smaller, or lighter weapons. Single points are excellent with MP5's and slick M4's.

However you are not going to see a single person carry a M240 with a single point. Larger, heavier weapons generally require wider straps, and more then one point of connect to hold the weapon from flopping about, E.G., the M16 rifle is generally better off with a 2 point sling over a single point.

Then there is the mission. If your doing something like rock climbing, fast roping, carrying crates of MRE's, etc, you may need the ability to secure your rifle. Single point slings by them selves don't do well for this.

Few things are as funny as watching someone with a single point transition to a pistol and then have their hot suppressor slap them in the groin.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stockton</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J.J. McQuade</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stockton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A single point sling is my choice. Transition and hands free are optimal. M4 is never on my back so a two point is total shit. </div></div>

Just talking yourself deeper into the heaping pile of shit you started to try to make us eat with your previous posts. Grow up and if you have something wise to add then please skip the one point sling BS you were trying to sell. </div></div>

I'll go as deep as you want kiddo. Do you have an argument or just butt hurt to logic and opinions?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stockton</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Do you have an argument or just butt hurt to logic and opinions? </div></div>

My guess would be more along the lines of him being annoyed with your lashing out at someone due to a different opinion, insulting that same man's intelligence, and making inflammatory, highly inaccurate statements about his military profession and experience (which ironically enough, is leaps and bounds above yours unless you've failed to update your little signature line.)

That's just my guess... maybe I'm wrong, but I doubt it.

HOLY SHIT! And here I just wanted to know about slings! LOL!!!

I'm not mil/leo, but just an average shooter looking to finally add a usable sling to rifles.

Who knew this would start such a shit storm!
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tigerbikes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Blue Force Gear Vickers is a quality sling.
It has similar function as the VTAC and allows for multiple attachment options.</div></div>

Not trying to start a shitstorm of pissing match but I would go with the BFG VCAS over the VTAC due to the fact that both products originated in the same unit with high speed operators BUT the VCAS was first to the market. Not knocking the VTAC but I'll stick with an "original" product any day of the week over a "copy" and twice on sundays. This is my preference and opinion and not meant to start any types of arguements or pissing matches.

FYI I think Kyle had his lsing to market before LAV.

Kyle's first sling left with me a little disappointed due to the loose tail when you cinched it in, he changed it, but I vastly prefer Larry's and also since I consider him a friend would rather run his slings as they are now probably on the same level as Kyle's sling.

Stockton, I'd run a single point on a breaching shotgun with a weapons catch, but I don't think those are great options for a M4 issued troop, secondly your reply's really leave a depth of your not knowing what you don;t know pretty evident, you may want to return the backhoe and stop digging yourself in a rather astoundingly deep hole. I'd only met JJ in passing, but I've seen him shoot, and know where he works and his experience base, and your on the end of a lossing and embarrasing proposition.

[/quote] I'll go as deep as you want kiddo. Do you have an argument or just butt hurt to logic and opinions? [/quote]
First of all I am a highly experienced shooter with the AR platform and for one you said the comment about the two point only being able to be used on your back so the two point slings were all shit.
Yes you are in the military that does not prove you have any experience to comment on such issues.
I do appreciate your service to this country but at least give a reason why you like single points other than some uneducated comment about two points. I have both types of slings and would say the V-TAC is my personal favorite along with the [censored] tactical padded slings. Two point allow for many holds and different ways to carry compared to a single point. Shooting comps where you are quickly moving from one target to the next a single point is useless in just about every case. We host military shoots and the bottom line is every single person we have shot with who is current military doesn’t shoot vary well due to the lack of experience and practice. Now the guys who have been there and served are another story. One thing about comps is the targets don’t shoot back. A two point also allows ways to stable the rifle for shots out to 400-600 meters. I was coming from your statement about how all two points suck and how much you like getting banged in the knees. JMHO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KevinB-KAC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FYI I think Kyle had his lsing to market before LAV.

Kyle's first sling left with me a little disappointed due to the loose tail when you cinched it in, he changed it, but I vastly prefer Larry's and also since I consider him a friend would rather run his slings as they are now probably on the same level as Kyle's sling.

Stockton, I'd run a single point on a breaching shotgun with a weapons catch, but I don't think those are great options for a M4 issued troop, secondly your reply's really leave a depth of your not knowing what you don;t know pretty evident, you may want to return the backhoe and stop digging yourself in a rather astoundingly deep hole. I'd only met JJ in passing, but I've seen him shoot, and know where he works and his experience base, and your on the end of a lossing and embarrasing proposition.

</div></div>

Yes Kevin, maybe I am a little biased due to knowing Larry!!! LOL. Sling preference, as with alot of other weapons related gear is subjective. Whatever the end user prefers will be the "best" for them.

3 deployments and all with a VTAC. Many copy the design (Vickers). Kyle's the man!

Rich

The newest attack PM from Stockton, the irony is killing me.
Start of PM
"ALL two point slings are shit"

Where did I say that?
Where did I say that my way was the only way?
Where did I say you have to like my way?
Where did I say yours or anyone else OPINION on slings was shit?

NOWHERE

"I don't give a rats ass who, what, where you shoot or shot. You are absolutely nothing and nobody to me. You definitely don't impress me and neither does anyone else. Kinda feel a little sorry for you that you have to tell me your abilities in order to justify your words. Kick sand unless you got something else. Maybe if you quit fucking around with one way ranges and man up, you can try a two range and then have your own opinion on what works for you in the Sand Box as what was requested. But I doubt you have what it takes."
End of PM

Its funny how he spends so much time making sure I know what he thinks when he states he simply does not care, yeah right prove it and shut the hell up already. Whats even more funny is he has yet to say why he likes the single point so much more and only attacks without anything to back it up yet that is his claim all along is back it up. I know a bunch of guys who have served that are honest and have learned that some of the basic gear they have used could have been upgraded to much better more comfortable stuff like a two point rather than their single point slings. Plus if you read the previous posts every person agrees that two point works better for everything. But like I stated above if you like getting banged in the knees I would keep my single point on my gun at all times.
And for stockton here is a video with the two point everyone has been saying to use and I was amazed that not all the positions were on his back. And look at how your hands can also be free but if when needed shouldn't the rifle be in you hands not hanging on your sling after all. Remember your words, "A single point sling is my choice. Transition and hands free are optimal. M4 is never on my back so a <span style="color: #CC0000">two point is total SHIT</span>."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhojNCdksYw&feature=player_embedded

Stockton, did you just win some major call of duty championship or something? You sound like a freaking poser and here's why: 1) Anybody with any time behind a single point sling knows there large number of limitations and drawbacks as well as the fact that they are for a very specialized purpose. 2) Anybody with time behind a 2 point sling knows that while not as free as a single point they are 10 times more universal. Truly the closest you can come to a one size fits all sling. 3) Any body who has the proper training/know how knows that a 2 point sling becomes an incredibly useful stabling device for many of the different shooting positions. (I don't know how to shoot like this but even I know how damned useful it is and I'm just a broke ass civie!) and 4) You're arguing with how many freaking people who are all singing the same tune and providing a lot of great evidence for there reasoning! You have yet to provide any for yours. On top of that there all guys who have been there done that, multiple deployments in the sand box, many years on the thin blue line, many years working in the industry and some of them even special forces. Who the hell try's to call SF guys an idiot about combat?!?!?! On top of it the first person who contradicts you gets blasted with foul words instead of a reason explaining you're position.

You sir are an idiot!

Glad to see I am not the only one getting PM's..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is my post
"A single point sling is my choice. Transition and hands free are optimal. M4 is never on my back so a two point is total shit."

Where do I say ALL two points are shit?
Where do I say single point is the only way?
Where did I say everyone else who had an opinion was shit?

NOWHERE

In fact I used MY as a keyword as to keep it as MY experience and professional likes. You idiots think I'm preaching facts outside your own preferences. I personally never asked for any of your opinions and was o ly giving mine to the OP.

I don't care about who you are or what you did. Not impressed one bit. You wanna open your pie hole and assume I said something I didn't then I'll kick you in your balls like any man would.
</div></div>

I'm not sure if his kid got on the computer, or he's off his med's.
Regardless the recent postings don't make a wick of sense.

Most every type of sling has a place where they shine. Like I said Single point is dran nice for vehicle ops, because hands free you can drag weapon out with you. Two and three points in a Hunvee suck because they hang up on everything as you un ass the vehicle.

While moving around, military, single points suck because go to knee and muzzle goes in ground. Same thing for LE when handcuffing.

Three points have a greta place in the ability to fng strangle you, snag on everything but guys like the cool look. LOL

Anyway, to say no need for ability to shoot slung up because most guys dont know how is to sell yourself and troops short. Strive to get better. Strive for guys watching your six to get better. We dont want our troops same level as asss hats we fight. We have to be far better so more of us come home

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most every type of sling has a place where they shine. Like I said Single point is dran nice for vehicle ops, because hands free you can drag weapon out with you. Two and three points in a Hunvee suck because they hang up on everything as you un ass the vehicle.

While moving around, military, single points suck because go to knee and muzzle goes in ground. Same thing for LE when handcuffing.

Three points have a greta place in the ability to fng strangle you, snag on everything but guys like the cool look. LOL

Anyway, to say no need for ability to shoot slung up because most guys dont know how is to sell yourself and troops short. Strive to get better. Strive for guys watching your six to get better. We dont want our troops same level as asss hats we fight. We have to be far better so more of us come home</div></div>

http://www.hqda.army.mil/leadingchange/aiep/ASP.htm

I'm more than willing to submit an idea, if you are willing to help me with the training/mission benefits as they apply to the average joe.

I believe I've made clear in my other posts that I do not discount the usefulness of such training and implementation, but, rather that the average guy on the ground has no use for equipment without the training. Introduction of equipment, without training, leads to confusion and even worse- ends up being improperly or ineffectively used until the training is there. Such ineffective or improper use can have no consequence or it can have grave consequence.

I'd prefer not to confuse the poor dears with husker du's and husker don'ts, in the mean time.

Wow, y'all sure get fuzzed up about a length of nylon webbing
laugh.gif

CS1983, I will do for Army what I did for USMC, when they first looked at my Quick Cuffs, before adopting them. I will fly out and train the trainers on my dime. I believe in the product and how properly used we can work better as a fighting force.

I will train all the trainers the Army wants at Camp Roberts or Ligget also free, as I have done many times

Other than that I will train any soldier, Marine, Sailor or Airman free when I run my classes out here. I usually set aside a few free slots for active military.

Send me a PM with contact info and I will send you a set up to TxE. No charge, no expectations on my end.

Mike,

Most gracious offer, but, I actually have already owned one of your slings and enjoyed it immensely! Unfortunately, it was sold with most everything else during a rough financial period.

If you don't mind, and the offer stands, I will run the idea by a few people who are still in (I'm no longer in) that could affect a mindset change at the platoon level and above.

The main guy I have in mind is a SFC 19D w/B4 from his prior Infantry days. He will know how to use the thing and explain it to higher ups. He is the CSM's go to Platoon Sergeant and soon to be a frocked 1SG in 5/7 Cav. If anyone can get through to the command on the usefulness and implementing both the equipment and training, he can.

Many thanks!

CS1983, this is a brand new sling. No one but a very few folks have owned one yet. I came up with this after being in box awhile. I have been working on this, changing and changing it again and again for lats year. I like final results,as have several who TxE'd in harms way.

This sling is designed for everyday use by everyday fighters on M4 type weapons.

Ah, ok. Shall I contact him? I'd think in the spirit of the T&E, it would be best conducted by someone who could truly benefit and affect a mindset change within a unit that is composed of a mix of MOS's and skill levels.

Once I get your go ahead, I'll send him an email and if he is willing to do it ( can't see him saying no), I'll provide both of you with each others contact info.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr blasty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stockton, did you just win some major call of duty championship or something? </div></div>

grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Blew Coffee on that one . . . . . .

BMT

This is a really interesting post, and several good slings have been mentioned. You asked specifically what type of slings were being used. I'm a retired LEO, and I did five, (yes 5) years in Afghanistan as a CIVPOL Contractor. I was embedded with the 10th Mountain (Vermont) in the Konduz area, later with the 116th MPs at Shinwar, and later with various Marine Units & Blackwater (USTC) at FOB Lone Star, actually TSS Lone Star. We used different slings at different times. For mouned (vehicle) or dis-mounted (walking patrols) nearly everyone used a short piece of sling strap fastened to sling loop at the butt of their M4, and this was attached to their vest. Usually, via a D-ring or some type of snap hook. Some of the guys, and nearly every contractor used 550 cord braided, and attached to two snap hooks. The vest attachment worked best, and these slings were 8 to 14" in length, depending on where they were attached to your vest, etc. We kept our weapons attached to us in the vehicles and while walking. This isn't flashy, or high-speed, but it works, and it is what's really used. However, while on FOBs or bases, we used a regular sling because we were required to have a weapon with us everywhere we went. When you are not in "full kit" there is no place to attach you sling. Obviously, 240B and 249 gunners used different padded systems, but that's not the topic here. Naturally, this was not a 100% rule. However, for guys that actually left the FOB this is the rule. If they don't accept it at first, they will aftr a few patrols. Interestingly, the real gear nuts were often guys that never left the FOB, and had office or TOC jobs. Yes you are right: you don't want a single point slapping you in the junk when you are running, etc. Back on civilian LE Patrol, all the patrol guys wanted single point slings because that's what the SWAT guys used. The patrol guys would get themselves all tied up in these things, snagging on their badge, radio, etc. Really a stupid idea for a uniform patrol officer. A simple, basic sling is best for patrol. Get a sling that fits your need & purpose. These guys that buy slings that change fom a one to a two to 3 point sling are not interested in using their weapon, and are more interested in playing with gadgets. Reminds me of kids playing with transformer toys.