• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater Slumdog Millionaire

Re: Slumdog Millionaire

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This film has already won many awards and is likely to get some Oscars.
It is one of maybe five must see films of 2008.

Highly recommended.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1010048/

</div></div>

Remove that Piratebay link bro Frank don't need that kinda heat.

I couldn't find the rules. I was going to check if it was banned.
But now you have to edit your post since you show the link
smirk.gif

It's running on the FX network now. Last night it was on right before Justified. Next showings are this Sunday.

This is one of my favorite all-time movies, in no small part because I've spent some time in India, which gives me a great deal of empathy for the plight of the Indian 'peasants' as well as a bit of extra insight into the movie's cultural nuances. Like its depiction of the tolerable levels of cruelty to members of any lower caste. The TV gameshow host is pretty rough on Jamal because he's a lowly "chai walla", which is like ridiculing someone because they're a busboy. Only he's doing it on national TV (in a nation with more than a billion people).

"Walla," by the way, is the indicator of your profession. A "chai walla" might be someone who either sells or serves chai. In either case, his business is chai, a spiced tea, the Indian national drink.

One point of cultural clarification I think makes the movie more meaningful concerns the Indians' curious head waggle, which looks like a cross between shaking their head and nodding off. To westerners, this looks like an expression of disagreement but in fact it's just the opposite. It's more like the Indian equivalent of <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">Fookin-A!</span></span>

Second that. It also shows how hard life is in emerging market and also, how universal, human greed and desire to exploit others, even small children, for one's gain is.