• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Smack the SMILEY Winter 2010 ---> RESULTS BELOW!!!

Re: Smack the SMILEY Winter 2010 ---> ENTRY OPEN

Aww, man. I just shot today and my new ammo does not look like it works at 50 yards. It does great at 100, but stinks at 50. I have one more shot, but it looks like I will be turning in a relatively low score this time around.

Well, we have made it back from a GREAT day of shooting!! The morning started off at 9 degrees, and quickly warmed up to 31 degrees. Very slight breeze blowing, quartering away right to left.

I have got to tell you, putting the Mossberg Plinkster in the retirement bin was the best thing we could have ever done!! My In-laws are still here from Texas, and he has a super sweet Marlin Model 25. I gave him my CenterPoint scope, and that thing just flat out shoots. My wife has been feeling somewhat better, and her shooting sure shows it!!

I have an idea of the best of our scores, and I believe it to be right around 155. No... it wasn't MY target... it was my father-in-laws target. He was grinning from ear to ear. I was very happy for him and everyone else. It was an awesome family outting today!!

Thanks again JB, for doing all you do to keep this awesome competition afloat. It is really a blast!!

DK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">looks like I will be turning in a relatively low score this time around. </div></div>

Dude... what happened?? You are my hero!! Oh, I get it. You decided to give the rest of us a chance huh?? Muchly appreciated!!

DK

I have one more chance. I got to my last target and only managed to get off the cold bore shot. I got full points for it. I will need to shoot the rest of the target this coming weekend. I also need to do all of my centerfire next weekend. I hope it works out...

Don't worry I will hold up the bottom of the pack. LOL I thought I had a decent load worked up for my rifle but either it or I let myself down. I got my current rifle late last year and due to work have never got a good load developed for it.

To give you an idea of how bad it was on the 1st target My cold bore shot and my confidence ended up almost touching. Neither were where they were supposed to be and I didn't aim for that to happen. But like always it was a blast.

I got my 10PC picked up this weekend. I didn't use it for the competition though. I should be receiving my scope early next week, so you can bet I will be heating up the barrel for the Spring '11 Smiley with it.

Carter, you are still my Rimfire Hero!! You are just too dang consistant to be out of it for very long. I have faith in ya Brother!!

DK

Greene, it ain't no big thang man. I have graced the absolute bottom of the barrel before with an absolute ZERO score.

There are just some records you don't wanna go after... LOL!!

DK

Shot my first target today, centerfire. Boy was it terrible. But I didn't expect much, have only put 1 1/2 boxes of shells through the rifle since I got it 3 weeks ago, and that includes rounds for the target. On top of that the wind was blowing 10-20 mph at about 2:00. Decided not to go for the rimfire just yet, hopefully we will have a little calmer day. Had fun anyhow and will be looking forward to the Spring Shoot.

I did get one Snowflake and the Confidence shot though, on the same target and almost on top of each other. Finally figured things out a little towards the end.

LOL I may give you a run for your money and take that zero record from you.
laugh.gif

YOU CAN HAVE IT!! Like I said, there are some records you don't want to be a part of... that is 1 of them!!

DK

Anyone know when the next Round is.
The last date listed is 02/21, for the Snowflake entries.

I'd like to see about getting some of the locals out to shoot this on our Range.

The dates all stay fairly close to the same time all year long for each match. Here is the list that shows the dates from 2010.

DK

Dates: Basically will be about the same for 2011

•Spring '10 Match
&#9702;19 March 2010: Begin accepting Spring entries
&#9702;12 April 2010: Spring Match Starts!
&#9702;3May 2010: ENTRY POSTMARK DEADLINE
&#9702;24 May 2010: Send your finished Spring targets back!

•Summer '10 Match
&#9702;18 June 2010: Begin accepting Summer entries
&#9702;12 July 2010: Summer Match Starts!
&#9702;2 August 2010: ENTRY POSTMARK DEADLINE
&#9702;23 August 2010: Send your finished Summer targets back!

•Fall '10 Match
&#9702;17 September 2010: Begin accepting Fall entries
&#9702;12 October 2010: Fall Match Starts!
&#9702;1 November 2010: ENTRY POSTMARK DEADLINE
&#9702;22 November 2010: Send your finished Fall targets back!

•Snowflake '10/'11 Match
&#9702;17 December: 2010: Begin accepting Snowflake entries
&#9702;10 January 2010: Snowflake Match Starts!
&#9702;31 January 2011: ENTRY POSTMARK DEADLINE
&#9702;21 February 2011: Send your finished Snowflake targets back!

Well, sent in my entries. I shot well enough, but DAMN is it hard to concentrate in 10 degree weather and snow...below is the damage.

The 308: Not sure I will get points for "lil bastard" or not. Confidence shot was damn near a double. I had to look and look for it. It is there, but only by "insert favorite body hair here".
183975_1430022050945_1844673127_833636_5848663_n.jpg

The 22:
184146_1430022370953_1844673127_833637_3846607_n.jpg

Nice shooting!! I am sure that you will be up there with the best of them. 10 degrees is pretty cold, but we were a bit warmer than that... but not by much.

DK

OK guys, new dates for 2011 are up on the site.

http://www.smackthesmiley.com/calendar.htm

Also, regarding the yearly subscription, here are the details:

NEWS – STS Annual Subscription.: You can now pay for a year’s worth of targets at one time so you will be never forget a deadline and miss a match. This will also save you some postage throughout the year. For instance, you can pay for 2 of each class for each of the 4 matches during the Spring match, then at the beginning of each of the year’s matches you will automatically receive the proper number of targets in the mail. Subscription participants will be listed on the homepage so they know they will receive their targets.

Well guys... I don't know. I may have put up a target and I may not. I tried to measure my last shot a bunch of times. I may have edged the tip of a snowflake and I may not have. Jason will have to decide.

In the meantime, this was my first time shooting the centerfire STS. I was still in load development, which is why this picture makes sense (or maybe it still doesn't).

02-20-11STSKeyhole.jpg

That's right... I was killing two birds with one stone by chronying my load and shooting STS at the same time. I grazed the side of my CED Millenium 2 infrafred screen. Thank God, the chrony survived... and that was one lucky cold bore smiley!

I think that is the first keyhole on STS ever! And it made such a nice pattern since it was on the CBS. I thought y'all would get a kick out of that.

BTW... I think I did find my load. I shot my first two targets with 175 gr FGMM. The next two shot with my handloads were far better. I hope to be a player in the CF in the future. Obviously, not so much this time around.

I'll tell you what... it is a little rougher shooting the CF at 100 yards than it is shooting the RF at 50. Just an observation.

Good luck, everyone!

This is definitely a target worthy of anyones "Wall of Shame".

I had to laugh, not at you, but with you, I've done similar.haha

Shot mine saturday in the wind. Not my best outing. That was the last one with the br. My 260AI should by done for the spring match.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill the Lurker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is definitely a target worthy of anyones "Wall of Shame".

I had to laugh, not at you, but with you, I've done similar.haha</div></div>

It is pretty funny. I went from STS Hall of Fame to STS Hall of Shame in 3 months.

At least you got to the Wall of Fame... the rest of us are clawin our way around. Most of us are just dinosaurs that haven't found our way to the tar pit yet.

DK

p.s. - Glad the chrony survived!!

Carter, very nice. That will look good on the site
wink.gif
My dad shot my first chrony...with my 223...it was fatal
frown.gif
Dead center
wink.gif

JB

Carter that is still a good target. Well done!!!

Myself and dad are in for the yearly subscription for sure. Good idea and I encourage all to do it. Plus it is for a good cause.

Thanks again Jason, I know it is a ton of work. Tip of the hat to you sir.

-Jake

Carter's worst attempts look like alot of best attempts that I have seen. Well done as always. Gives us something to shoot for!!

DK

Just got back from a little bit of snowy range time... it was FREAKIN COLD!! Wind through the gulch was variable from 12 to 17mph mostly... gusts to 23. BUT, that is what I love about shooting in Windy Gulch... canyon walls to channel the wind!!

All I can say is, I am absolutely lovin the 10PC!! I shot some of the 200 rounds of Ultramax that I had sittin in the garage, plus 20 rounds of some Lake City brass reloads my buddy Vince cooked up for me. He loaded 5 rounds of each specific set, and I REALLY liked set #3!!

I have some copies of the Smiley targets that I use for practice, and I will just say that I am very pleased with the results. I also have some other dot targets. I have a 5-shot group from Vince's cookings that is sitting from, best the set of calipers can tell to be around .643 CTC. I am going to have to get the recipe and get it posted. I will be using some more of these on the next Smiley Tourny for sure!!

DK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: z71rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Carter's worst attempts look like alot of best attempts that I have seen. Well done as always. Gives us something to shoot for!!

DK</div></div>

The miss on the CBS wasn't bad. The miss on the 40 pt confidence shot was a killer!

So what you are saying is... we still have a chance!! LOL!!

DK

Chance? I don't have anymore chance than a snowflake in Arizona in July.

But it was fun shooting it. I will be doing this more often.

I cant wait to see the results, I hate seeing my scores but they seem to keep getting better.

"I cant wait to see the results, I hate seeing my scores but they seem to keep getting better. "

That is precisely the point of this excercise!!!
I am only competition I worry about.
grin.gif

Love this match but why is it that i always wait till the last day to shoot my target. Most of the time the weather is terrible windy rain snow etc. I'll get it next time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ollie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most of the time the weather is terrible windy rain snow etc.</div></div>

We almost always shoot in "real world" conditions for this match. It only adds to the challenge of what those men and women who do this for a living have to deal with!! Keep shootin!!

DK

The weather was not too great when the wife and I shot either. It was kinda rainy and really cold but there was no wind to speak of. That makes it nice for the little 22LR's and our Rem 700 22-250. We will see. I think the wife beat me again on the rimfire with my rifle....Makes me feel really good!!!!!
laugh.gif

Jake

I shot mine a few weeks ago and killed the cold bore shot then couldnt hit the broad side of a barn. Hopefully I win something good. I had a blast shooting so i will be in for the spring/summer shoot. good shooting to everyone..

DD, you got just as good a chance to win something as anyone else... that is part of what makes this so great!! Keep shootin Bro!!

DK

Tick tick tick tick tick... just wishing, being patient. LOL!!

DK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Niles Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?
sick.gif
</div></div>

What he said
grin.gif

Sorry guys, the results have obviously been delayed, just moved into a new house (well not new, but different), and the internet hook up has been delayed...not to mention moving is a hassle...so that should be taken care of soon and I hope to have the results posted by this weekend.

JB

Sounds good! Can't wait to see my name at the bottom!!!
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ogreshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He is just trying to find a gentle way to say I beat you, that is all.

Ogre. </div></div>

Hey Ogre... He don't have to be gentle to tell me my score is stinkin up the competition. I am actually getting used to that situation. However, I have the shootin little 10PC that is gonna be in on the next round of things.

We will see what it is like to load up one of my 10 rounders and shooting the whole target including the confidence shot without a reload!! Hehe...

DK

I myself have no delusions of grandeur. I am just thankful that all my shots were on paper and at least relatively close.

Am pretty proud of the 22 rimfire target, but I still missed one of the targets. I am thinking I can only get better, but also know that I can go down the tubes faster than being flushed...is fun and for a good cause.

Re: Smack the SMILEY Winter 2010 ---> RESULTS

<span style="font-weight: bold">SMACK THE SMILEY WINTER 2010-11 RESULTS</span>

Congrats to <span style="font-weight: bold">Bill the Lurker and Tuna921</span> our WINTER Match Winners as well ac <span style="font-weight: bold">JCVibby and Carter Mayfield</span> our 2010 Agg winners!

<span style="font-weight: bold">With the Winter match, we raised another $320 for AmericanSnipers.org!! That puts the total at over $7400 raised from the Smack the Smiley Match!</span>

Competition was tough as usual, with many good scores. You gotta nail everything to be near the top and it took a score of 200 or better to get you in the top 17 in CENTERFIRE or top 11 in RIMFIRE this time! Pretty crazy stuff!

Results should be up on the website soon, but here they are below for those that can't wait
smile.gif

RESULTS:

http://smackthesmiley.com/results.htm

CENTERFIRE

CF_Winter2010_11_1of2.jpg

CF_Winter2010_11_2of2.jpg

RIMFIRE

RF_Winter2010_11.jpg

Pictures of the WINNING TARGETS:

CENTERFIRE WINNER
CF_Winter2010_11.jpg

RIMFIRE WINNER
RF_Winter2010_11-1.jpg

http://smackthesmiley.com/pics.htm

As it is the end of the Smiley season, the aggs have been compiled and there were some interesting results and some incredibly tight scores and very small group aggs...check out those group aggs for an average of 4 3-shot groups...shot from the ground!

CENTERFIRE Score and Group Agg:
CF_Agg_2010_11.jpg

RIMFIRE Score and Group Agg:
RF_Agg_2010_11.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Prizes should be on their way in the next week or so...if you have an address change and you won a prize, let me know ASAP.</span>

Good job guys and gals!!

<span style="font-weight: bold">PRIZE WINNERS</span>

**Please don't forget the prize donors when you need some gear**

Prizes are given away as a raffle using the completed targets you send back. So there is no incentive to cheat, as the winner has no assurance of getting any prizes. If you send back a completed target in both RIMFIRE and CENTERFIRE class, you have 2 chances to win.

Winter 2010/11 PRIZES:

--BILL F - US Optics: ONE Certificate for 20% off any scope purchase
More Info: http://www.usoptics.com/

--DVIBBERT- Controlled Chaos Arms: ONE $500 Complete Rifle Refinish Package
More Info: http://www.controlledchaosarms.com/

--CRIS F- Manners Composite Stocks: ONE Certificate for $475 off your custom stock order.
More Info: http://www.mannersstock.com/Tactical.html

--JCOLEV- Rock Creek Barrels: ONE Certificate for 1/2 off retail price of any barrel
More Info: http://www.rockcreekbarrels.com/

--JACOBK- Badger Ordnance: ONE Certificate for "Badger Surprise" - could be M5 triggerguard or rings and/or bases
More Info: http://www.badgerordnance.com/index.php

--MELISSAK- Seekins Precision: ONE Certificate for Choice of Rings or Base (Non-Custom)
More info: http://www.seekinsprecision.com

--REM'06- Berger Bullets: TWO Certificates for 300 bullets (600 bullets total) of Winner's Choice
More Info: http://www.bergerbullets.com/

--OGRESHOOTER - Sierra Bullets: ONE Certificate for 500 Bullets
More Info: http://www.sierrabullets.com/index.cfm

--STEVENW & Z71RAT- TAB Gear: TWO Certificates for TAB Gear Sling in choice of color and swivel/hook type
More Info: http://www.riflesonly.com/store/TAB/index.html

--SHELDONF - Center Shot Rifles: ONE certificate for 3-Port “Muscle” Brake
More Info: http://centershotrifles.com/sales/

--SEAAGGIE- Lapua: ONE Certificate for "Lapua Surprise" - could be 200 Lapua bullets or cases
More Info: http://www.lapua.com/

--MR.T - GA Precision: ONE Certificate for Choice of: ½ off Chamber-job, side bolt release mod or Badger Bolt Knob and Installation
More Info: http://www.gaprecision.net/

--LINEDRIVE301FT - Badger Ordnance: ONE Certificate for Tactical Bolt Knob and Installation
More Info: http://www.badgerordnance.com/index.php

--DAPS- AZ Precision: ONE Certificate for FREE VARMINTER KNOB and install
More Info: http://azprecisiongunsmithing.com/Products.html

--GUNNERBMG- Tactical Intervention Specalists: ONE Certificate for sling (choice of type and color)
More Info: http://www.tacticalintervention.com/

--JLAW973- Big River Tactical: ONE $50 Gift Certificate
More Info: http://www.bigrivertactical.com/homepage.html

--ZACHK - SWFA: ONE $50 Gift Certificate
More Info: http://www.swfa.com/

--JCVIBBY - Ivy Rods: ONE Certificate for a custom crafted stainless cleaning rod
More Info: http://www.ivyrods.com/

--SEVENMM- Lucas Bore Guides: ONE bore guide (w/ insert) of choice from Mike Lucas
More Info: (803)-356-0282

--GREENE - J. Dewey Mfg.: Dewey Cleaning Rod and Cleaning Kit (22cal)
More Info: http://www.deweyrods.com/

--HILLBILLYSNIPER- Bruno's Shooters Supply: ONE $25 Gift Certificate.
More Info: http://www.brunoshooters.com

<span style="font-weight: bold">FYI - I start accepting entries for the SPRING match on Mar. 18 -- Don't forget, I will be instituting a subscription program this year, where you can pay for the whole season at once, then I will send you your requested number of targets when every match rolls around. Also, targets will now be $4 each, as it has been at $3.50 for 4 or 5 years now while my time investment has doubled</span>

Cheers,
JB

Z71Rat, I was only teasin about beating you. I seemed to have done well with the rimfire. That said, I left a little to be desired on the centerfire.

Better luck to me next time.

Good shooting everyone!

What a great season. Congrats to JCVibby, Tuna921, and Bill the Lurker. Tuna921 edged me 3 out of 4 matches... nice score! I was very lucky this round. My confidence shot looked just like Tuna921's. Could have gone either way. I will be back to Eley for 50 yards.

Jason, thanks for putting this on with everything you have going on. Also, thanks to the many sponsors (even though I didn't win anything this time). Also, many thanks to the snipers out there who will receive the proceeds.

Ogre, no offense taken... trust me. I have said it before, and I will say it again... you guys humble me. Great shooting gang!! It was a blast as always.

I am surprised I got 2nd place this time around. I honestly didn't think I did that well. I knew the 3-shot group felt really good, but I had no clue on the total. The sad reality though, me and my family and friends have the bottom spots taken up on the Rimfire for aggregate!! LOL!! Oh well, win some and lose some.

I will be heatin up the 10PC next time around. I can't wait to see how this thing with the 10 round magazine shoots out the Smileys!!

DK

The match went over well enough that my wife and son want to shoot. What a great way to get together as a family. My dad is going to shoot it again as well. Can't wait to sign up!

Jason, as said above, thanks for putting this on. It is a great match and supports the greatest cause.

Ogre

Huge thank you to Jason for his efforts, and to the vendors who support this cause!!!

Glad you guys are getting the fam involved...that is an entirely unique aspect of the match that I never expected when I started this in 2004...cool to see
wink.gif

Thanks for another great year
wink.gif

Jason