• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

small based dies sticking cases left and right.

Prebanpaul

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2009
Akron Ohio Summit
I am reloading for 223/5.56. I am using rcbs small base crimp tungsten dies. I am using range picked up brass with a bunch of different head stamps. My problem is that I sticking the case every twenty brass. Is there something that I am missing. Maybe not enough lube. I am using one shot aerosol case lube.

I tried some spray on case lube (dillon) when I started using small base dies as well. After the first case I realized that the lube was not adequate for small base sizing so I broke out my imperial lube. Although a drastic difference between the different types of lube, there is still noticeably more force involved in small base sizing, so for me, Small base sizing = imperial lube.

I tried some spray on case lube (dillon) when I started using small base dies as well. After the first case I realized that the lube was not adequate for small base sizing so I broke out my imperial lube. Although a drastic difference between the different types of lube, there is still noticeably more force involved in small base sizing, so for me, Small base sizing = imperial lube.

X2 on sizing wax.

I bought some once fired .308 brass and it seemed like it had been MG fired. I'm just using a FL die as it's for my bolt gun but I was using one shot at that time and ended up sticking about 3 cases so I switched to imperial and never had a problem again. I'm not completely sold on the one shot myself...

Small base dies size for a tighter chamber I believe so they are going to be a tight fit in the die especially if your using range pickup brass.

Did you remove the factory oil from die before using? Take it apart and hit it with brake cleaner if not, and re lube die with one shot. I am using small base dies with one shot. No issues.

Best I have used is 10% Castor oil, 10% Liquid lanolin, 80 % isopropyl or methyl alcohol. (Save the ethyl for after the range time.) Mix it and spray a hundred or so cases in a ziplok bag, dump and allow to evaporate for a minute or two. After the first spraying there is lube in the bag, so only two or so sprays will be necessary.

I would use Imperial sizing Wax as other have suggested.You may also need to do a two step process.Size once on FL Die.Than size again on the small base die.

With Range Brass make sure you inspect the case well.You do not want to have a case split or primer pocket to leak.

I would use range Brass just for plinking ammo.

For precision ammo its best to start with new quality brass such as Lapua.

Regards,Mike

I don't know how One Shot keeps being a product that people will buy.

You can take a gallon ziploc filled to half with brass, grease your hand with ISDW, run that hand through the bag like you are handling shelled corn, and you are done and your cases are well lubed. I have never even heard of a properly lubed case using ISDW that has been stuck in a die. I have heard of plenty of stuck cases with a lot of other products.

I haven't had a problem with One Shot and the RCBS small base die. I wipe out the die before I start a batch of around 200 and give the die a quick shot of lube before I start. I use the Hornady case tray that holds 50 rounds and spray the cases on all 4 sides at downward angle so the inside of the necks get lubed too.

My $0.02:

Use Dawn or Ivory liquid dish detergent as lubrication. Dump your brass into an old USPS medium flatrate box, put a couple of shots of the soap in there and shake the brass up good. Let that dry for at least 10 minutes. It won't be a lubricant until it's "dry". Once it has dried to a waxy/greasy film, it is at least as slick as Imperial.

When reclaiming range pickup brass, I agree with the idea of using a SB size die, and I also do this routinely. I just finished up a 2000 round batch of LC13 7.62 brass.

I use a Dillon 650 progressive configured as follows:

Station 1: Lee universal decapping die with decapping pin "clutched" properly
Station 2: Standard FLS die (with decapping stem removed) set to bump shoulder to ~0.000" as compared to a "go" gage.
Station 3: SB size die (with decapping stem removed) set to bump shoulder to GO minus ~.004"
Station 4: Sinclair expander die with appropriate "Neck turning" mandrel (bullet size minus .002")

Be advised you will not be able to get consistent "headspace" results on these range pickup cases. It'll vary by ~.003"-.006", so adjust your SB size die accordingly, so the largest cases come out small enough to fit any SAAMI compliant chamber. Some cases will end up a good bit shorter, but that's just how it goes with range pickup.

Using both an FLS and a SB distributes the work each die has to do, requiring less press effort and smoothing things out.

I am not interested in applying imperial wax to thousands of cases, which led to my experimentation of various case sizing lubes. Also, the soap is the only lube I've tried that allows me to FILL my tumbler with lubed/sized cases and get ALL the lube off with only one cycle. All other lubes I tried require me to put far fewer cases in the tumbler, or, change the water out (sometimes more than once) during the tumbling cycle.

Last thing about using the soap: Clean and oil your dies after use or they will start to rust.

" Is there something that I am missing. Maybe not enough lube."

There you go; poor lubing is THE case of stuck cases.

All commercial case lubes work well when used properly. Seems more people screw up 1-Shot than any other. Probably due to a failure to shake the can's contents sufficently, refusing to allow the carrier to fully evaporate before sizing and spraying the heck out of the upper case/neck but not the lower case where they get stuck. ??