• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

small diesels for swaps?

AXEMAN

General Nuisance
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2009
kansas, topeka
ok call it gay, but i really like that old isuzu amigo 4x4 and i would love one in diesel. possibly a bigger 4 banger or 6 cyl of some sort. i found one with a great everything but motor. i need a 4 banger isuzu replacement or a decent diesel motor i can swap in. any thoughts? too much to ask for?

Re: small diesels for swaps?

over in this part of the world most vehicles are diesel. we have some mini mini vans that have either 3 or 4 cyl's. Not sure if you could get one of the motors back to the states though. Maybe a VW diesel might help. they are small and there are quite a few jetta's and Bugs with them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: swarrick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A Cummins 4BT would be tits, they are swapped into Jeeps every now and then. The link below should help some.

http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/index.php </div></div>

The 4BT's are a sweet little motor. They are the same as the 5.9 cummins minus the 2 extra cylinders. The 3.9 should fit with a little mod.

A friend of mine is currently installing a "B 3.3 model Cummins in his flat fender. Stretched it about 7" installed an overdrive 5 spd, He predicts 40+mpg. I think the little motor is 85 horsepower n.a., and 260lb.ft. of torque.
The 3.3 is a whole different cat than the 3.9. Lighter, shorter, doesn't seem to share any parts with the 3.9.

My little brother bought a frito lay truck off of dove bid so that he could get the Cummins 4BT out of it. The truck only had 50 some thousand miles on it. Paid 1400ish for the truck, stripped the engine out and a few other parts he wanted and then scrapped the truck for 700 bucks. When you factor in the cost of towing he's in it for about a grand. Now he's looking for an old flat fender Dodge Powerwagon to drop it in........which is proving much tougher to find in any kind of decent shape.

I drive a Dodge with a 5.9 Cummins and love the thing, don't think I'll be going back to a gas burner after owning diesel. That said, the cummins aren't going to be a good swap for an amigo. For one, they're a heavy ass engine and you'd have to do some mods to account for all that new weight up front. Second, they're tall. Just going from memory the amigos don't have a lot of room, vertically, in the engine compartment.

I'd love to see some of the diesels that are used overseas land over here. Toyota hilux and nissans. I don't know much about mercedes diesels, but maybe look into something like that?

Yea, you gotta be careful with most diesel swaps, and especially cummins because most times the chassis isn't made to handle the extra weight and size of a heavy diesel engine. A 4cyl might work, but a 6 is going to be pushing it. You could try to get an old Merc I-5, but that is probably easier said than done

Look for a Kubota 4cyl out of a tractor. They are easy to find, have a lot of configurations, & will run for a long time. There are a lot on e-bay in about 35-45hp with turbo, or natural aspirated.

A Mitsubishi 4d55 2.3 liter turbo diesel is what you what to look for. They came in 83-85 Dodge D50 pickups, 85-87 Ford Bronco II's and Rangers. That same engine is in many a Fork lift, and Ind App.

With the fuel system set correctly and the exhaust an turbo heat Rapped correctly, a 3 ltr gas burner will not keep up with one, gear set for gear set. I've owned 3 of them and the worst mileage I ever got was 25mpg. The Mit's factory book that came with new trucks said if the unit was not getting 35mpg there was something wrong.

Last Ford Ranger I sold was an 87 4X4 with a 4d55, truck brought 12K. I know of one Bronco II I bid on 2-3 years ago that was a factory 4d55 4X4,....I stopped at 20K it brought 25.

you really gotta wonder why these small diesels are more readily available. ive never seen a ranger or BII with a diesel. didnt know there was an option even offered. for a 4x4, you gotta love the diesels

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> ive never seen a ranger or BII with a diesel. didnt know there was an option even offered. for a 4x4, you gotta love the diesels </div></div>

They had two offering in diesels, the Mit's 2.3 turbo and a NA 2.2 liter Isuzu. With the Isuzu option you had to set stakes to see it move. The Mit's was a horse, add 0.030 fuel stroke to the pump, advance the timing 2*, change the air fuel ratio control setting, change exhaust valve lash to 0.013 and set intake at 0.009 an it will smoke the rear tires. That little engine had Piston coolers, ext oil cooler that is thermo controlled, and two balance shafts. The thermostat(jacket water) was prior to pump intake, where it should be. Isuzu makes some good turbo engines as well, they are on many a pump, Gen set, Fork lift ect.

Another engine to look at is a John Deere 4039T, or 4045T, but stay away from anything ECM controlled.

Many years ago John Deere and Detroit Diesel had a 4 stroke engine for the on road crowd, but just before it was to hit assy lines, Roger Penske bought DDA and it all went south.