• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Small mistakes will hurt you in SHTF.

I vacuum seal Big Macs. Happy Meals for the kids. Never had a problem. Include the box for added protection.

• Wow
Reactions: Plinker 73
Another thing you can do is go to the grocery store and get some large blocks of dry ice.
Stick the dry ice in the bottom of the container, and then pour in all the rice or oats or such
Leave it open for a couple hours until it melts and the CO2 pushes out all the oxygen.

Then seal it.
Dry ice is a great way. Probably best to leave the lid just cracked open. Do not need much dry ice, probably one pound would work for 10 lbs. of rice or other dry goods.

Another thing you can do is go to the grocery store and get some large blocks of dry ice.
Stick the dry ice in the bottom of the container, and then pour in all the rice or oats or such
Leave it open for a couple hours until it melts and the CO2 pushes out all the oxygen.

Then seal it.
Funny story on me. I put dry ice in one of my containers and installed a screw on lid adapter and sealed it up. A bit of dry ice was in the container and when it melted it built up enough pressure to blow the lid off.... A word to the wise.

so seal the rice then freeze? wouldn't water in the air freeze then unfreeze nullifying the intent? I guess you use a vacuum sealer first but thinking it's not perfect

I'd imagine after this, put some decadent packs in a regular bucket, fill with your sealed rice bags then store for 20 or so years

Consider storing what you eat regularly and rotating through it as part of your normal meal planning.

Once you've been doing the "emergency food" thing for several decades or more, you start appreciating how efficient and cost effective it is.

You might think food with a 20 year life is like forever, then 30 years later you are tossing it out.

Don't tell anyone or EVERYONE about how much ammo, food, supplies you have stockpiled in case of SHTF. That's not your best thinking.

That will hurt you when the SHTF and others need that shit and are thinking "Didn't [dumbass] tell me he has ...?"

Tactical advantage through OPSEC. Get some, keep some, cause you're gonna need you some.

Most people who notice weevils in their flour would throw the flour out immediately, however, in a survival situation eating weevils is not only safe but it might also save your life. Pound for pound insects contains more protein, amino acids, vitamins, fats, and even sugar than beef.

"Most people who notice weevils in their flour would throw the flour out immediately, however, in a survival situation eating weevils is not only safe but it might also save your life. Pound for pound insects contains more protein, amino acids, vitamins, fats, and even sugar than beef."

This may well be true, but I will wage4r there is a hell of a difference in a pound of beef vs a pound of weevils, Mr Gates.

Was watching 'Alone'...contestants were dropped off in the artic for 100 days...

Dude has a nice camp set up, great location, good amount of food...7 days in he lost his ferro rod and couldnt make fire, dude had to drop out...1 small mistake, that if happened in real life, would've been fatal.

One of my dive instructors once told me, "if it's not important, don't bring it....if it's really important, bring 2"

2 is 1 and 1 is none.
Idiot lost it making a “hot tub” in the middle of the woods.

rule number 1: don’t be an idiot trying to look cool and lose your chance at a million bucks.

I heard you put rice and beans in the freezer (0 or below) for 5-6 days then seal it. Anyone know if that's true?
I can't say for sure with rice but... beattles are a common problem for cigars from an ISOM so as soon as they arrive they go in the fridge for a day, the deep freeze for 3 days, and back in the fridge for a day. The fridge keeps the wrappers from cracking due to the main temp shock and the freezer kills the eggs. You want the temp to drop fast as it's not the cold that kills them (it is but I digress) but the rapid formation of ice crystals results in much coarser and knife like crystals that cut the cell walls all to shit ending the egg permanantly. Diatomacious does the same thing as under a microscope it looks like little shards of glass. Saw a Cohiba Behike once that had a little hole in it and dude dug out a nasty looking grub! Yes sir, freezing for me as white powder all over a cigar would look sketchy as fuck... or baller as all get out! :LOL:

I can't say for sure with rice but... beattles are a common problem for cigars from an ISOM so as soon as they arrive they go in the fridge for a day, the deep freeze for 3 days, and back in the fridge for a day. The fridge keeps the wrappers from cracking the freezer kills the eggs. You want the temp to drop fast as it's not the cold that kills them (it is but I digress) but the rapid formation of ice crystals results in much coarser and knife like crystals that cut the cell walls all to shit ending the egg permanantly. Saw a Cohiba Behike once that had a little hole in it and dug out a nasty looking grub! Yes sir, freezing for me!
I have heard of this but never seen it. I have heard of entire humidors being savaged and a collection of cigars being thrown out.

Reactions: nikonNUT
Teacher back in high school told us of eating in the mess tents in Nam after dark. Bread wasn't supposed to crunch and you were hungry so you didn't didn't bother to look.

There are a number of ways to store food, long term. However, people miss an important concept.
Certain methods of storage can last up to 20 years. No food should actually be stored for more that 2-3 years, since it should be part of your daily diet, and stocks rotated through the kitchen.
That accomplishes a couple of things: most importantly, one is used to eating what is stored. The other is that nothing just sits there for 20 years. Saying ,"I've got ten 5 gallon buckets of whole wheat in my garage" is not food storage. Using it, and storing it properly, THAT means food storage.

Idiot lost it making a “hot tub” in the middle of the woods.

rule number 1: don’t be an idiot trying to look cool and lose your chance at a million bucks.

I remember that episode. Dude was flying high after his hot bath, then couldn't find his ferro stick when he got back to camp. It didn't seem like he looked all that hard before giving up, although that may have just been the editing. I think he just straight up panicked and that got in the way of trying to figure out a solution.

I remember that episode. Dude was flying high after his hot bath, then couldn't find his ferro stick when he got back to camp. It didn't seem like he looked all that hard before giving up, although that may have just been the editing. I think he just straight up panicked and that got in the way of trying to figure out a solution.
me too!

great show

Small mistakes will hurt you in SHTF.​

The small things will end up killing off many. Not treating a splinter in a finger or having poor fitting boots that cause a blister could lead to a person's demise. It's all small things.

Anybody ever put hand warmers in either their sealed dry food, rice, beans?
Wont hand warmers deplete any oxygen in the container?

Search oxygen absorbers, they are designed for food storage. Search whatever your container size will be, then search for how many and what size packets you need. Should go without saying that once you open the packaging, they start working right away so don't let them sit around a long time. I got a carton divided into 10 packs per vacuum bag, so I hardly waste any when getting stuff sealed up.

0001014_500-cc-o2-absorbers-freshus-brand_550.jpeg

You could have lost an entire Husky Job box full of canned goods cause one can liberated itself, and the entire box became a science project.
Thankfully the house will be finished soon, Lord willing.
The pantry has been completed for weeks and is being restocked slowly, as budget allows.