• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Fieldcraft smaller target size and correct distances: 44%IDPA

mos2111

Private
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2009
I am looking at several diminished targets for range use, but am confused/ignorant of how to place them for correct dope and ranging.

If I am picking up jc steel targets in the following sizes:
40% IPSC 3/8 inch thick-
45% IPSC 3/8 inch thick-
66% IPSC 3/8 inch thick-
1. How can I calculate the size for distance?
A 50% idpa at 100 yd would appear to be a 200 yd target, but what about a 45%? Can I correctly use .45 x Dist = appearance; distance/target size = placement distance for full target size?
.45 (45%) placed at 222yds will appear to be a 100 yd full size.
2. And here I have no idea - How/ what dope would you use.

Or is there an easier way to use reduced targets that I am unaware of?
Thanks

Re: smaller target size and correct distances: 44%IDPA

I'm going to sound like an A-Hole here, but you are really complicating things here.
You already know the height of your targets, so if you set them at unknown distances and are capable of ranging them in your scope, it shouldn't be an issue.
Or if you are going to use a range finder, figure out what distance and dial or hold your dope. It doesn't matter if your target is sub moa, moa, or larger than moa, it is just a matter of hitting it now.

Re: smaller target size and correct distances: 44%IDPA

Nope, dont sound like an a hole at all. That takes all the confusion out of the issue. I was doing it backwards.
thanks