• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Smith rant. What would you do?

jd3006

Private
Minuteman
Aug 12, 2010
alabama
I lurk and learn a lot but don't post much. I have no time to do my own work so I took my rifle to a shop that has 2 "master smiths" to have a trigger job, the action bedded and the barrel floated. Instructions were in writing. Picked up the rifle (Rem.700 sporter) at closing time so I had no time to take it apart there to look at it. Got it home and the thing is full length bedded. I have no experience with a bedded barrel and have no idea if this is a good thing or not. I know I can shoot and see but I'm not a happy customer. This shop has a good reputation but is 90 miles from home. I can't figure why they didn't simply do what the written instructions said. What would you do? Thanks for any advice.

Re: Smith rant. What would you do?

they need to make it right!! that is not right and to have instructions written down and still mess up.. not everybody is perfect and we all make mistakes but standing behind it is the most important part

Take it back and have them float the barrel like you asked in the first place. Don't get mad and confrontational, just politely remind them that they had it in writing and you expect what you asked for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnshortdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Take it back and have them float the barrel like you asked in the first place. Don't get mad and confrontational, just politely remind them that they had it in writing and you expect what you asked for. </div></div>

+1 on this advice. At a minimum, give the shop a call before you spent the time/mileage heading back to the shop. A simple phone call, polite and to the point about your concerns/problems/etc., might go a long way toward resolving their screw up. Assuming that the instructions you gave them are clear and say something to the effect of "bed receiver area and free-float barrel" or something that conveys clearly you didn't want a full bedding job from tip to butt, they should absolutely acknowledge the mistake/oversight and make it right for you. If they refuse to do so or give you any grief about it...well, hopefully that won't happen, but we can help you deal with that if that occurs!

Maybe the bedded the receiver, tested it and it didn't improve accruacy. Then they put a pressure pad at the end of the stock and that did improve the accuracy, so they full length bedded it.

Two ways too look at it. Yes, they should have communicated this to you first, but don't freak out just yet. Talk to them, shoot it, see what happens.

Is it touching the bedding that goes to the fore-end?

I have seen some stocks that were opened up and then the barrel was taped up to create a "float space" and the stock was then bedded with the taped up barrel.

The result is a very nice looking "full bed" job that is actually a free floated barrel.

The WORST thing that you can do at this point is call a shop and be angry and accusatory to them. The old adage about "flies, honey, and vinegar" is a good thing to keep in mind here.

Perhaps they made an honest mistake and when you call to talk to them it will be "oh, shit we're really sorry. Bring it back in, we'll cover the travel costs too, as soon as it comes in we'll rework it immediately."

I have been on both sides of the table and someone who calls and is nice gets a whole lot more from the shop than someone who calls and screams bloody murder at the first drop of the hat.

Every shop has issues and things that fall through the cracks. The real measure is how they deal with those issues when they happen.

+1 on all the above.

Mistakes are made, its a fact of life. The difference between good and bad business is the service after the sale.

If your happy with the trigger and the bedding looks good its an easy fix. If you have a dremel with a sanding drum its simple to clear / remove material (extra bedding). If you want them to do it the drive there and back will take longer than the DIY but they should be able to handle it easily.

Its easier to remove material....

I am happy with the trigger. I can not slide a dollar or any other paper under the barrel. I also realize I can sand the barrel channel to float it. The rifle had a hang tag tied to the trigger guard that read - trigger job, glass bed action, free float barrel. They also wrote that in their log book. Can't get much plainer than that. If they shot it they did not mention it to me so I don't think that it would not group floated. I am planning to call and talk to get some answers. I am not one to be an azz so it will be polite. I don't doubt they will fix it I just hate making probably 2 more round trips with gas prices today. Thanks for all the replies.

If you call them up nicely, they might send you a call tag to have it sent back to them via FedEx or UPS on their dime. That would save you several hours driving plus wear and tear on your vehicle. I had a similar issue and it was handled in that manner. If they are reputable guys, they will take care of you.

+1 on that...call them and talk to them.. give them the opportunity first...

I did call the smith today. He explained that his usual practice on a wood stock is to bed the entire stock and then sand enough of the bedding to float the barrel. He explained that in his experience this helped to stabilize the wood to minimize swelling and warping of the wood. He apologized and said he must have just forgot to do the sanding to float the barrel. He is sending me a call tag to ship him the rifle and will refund part of my money for my troubles. I thanked him for his time and honesty and may use him again if the need arises. Thanks for all the advice and concerns here on the Hide.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jd3006</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did call the smith today. He explained that his usual practice on a wood stock is to bed the entire stock and then sand enough of the bedding to float the barrel. He explained that in his experience this helped to stabilize the wood to minimize swelling and warping of the wood. He apologized and said he must have just forgot to do the sanding to float the barrel. He is sending me a call tag to ship him the rifle and will refund part of my money for my troubles. I thanked him for his time and honesty and may use him again if the need arises. Thanks for all the advice and concerns here on the Hide. </div></div>

Sounds like a sensible, well-reasoned response from your smith to me! That's also about as good an example of customer service as you'll find since he: 1) acknowledged a screw up on his part; 2) agreed to make it right by fixing the issue AND partially refund your money; AND 3) is going to take care of S&H!

Glad you got it squared away.

Now this is how it should be done. Notice the OP used called no names but merely wanted opinions on how the matter should be handled. It was handled in a gentlemanly manner and resulted in a satisfactory resolution.
THIS is how it should be.

Correct, I did not call any names. I don't do that sort of thing. I tend to tell a business owner my opinion and let my repeat business speak for me. Having worked dealing with the public before I know well how some can be real asses if given the slightest opportunity and I don't want to be one of them. If anyone were to ask my recommendation of what business to go to I honestly give my opinion without bashing. A business that screws people over regularly will not be in business long any way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jd3006</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A business that screws people over regularly will not be in business long any way. </div></div>

Unless government run.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jd3006</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did call the smith today. He explained that his usual practice on a wood stock is to bed the entire stock and then sand enough of the bedding to float the barrel. He explained that in his experience this helped to stabilize the wood to minimize swelling and warping of the wood. He apologized and said he must have just forgot to do the sanding to float the barrel. He is sending me a call tag to ship him the rifle and will refund part of my money for my troubles. I thanked him for his time and honesty and may use him again if the need arises. Thanks for all the advice and concerns here on the Hide. </div></div>

Glad to see he made it right. Did you shoot it ?