• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Smith to rebarrel an S&W .44 mag?

Re: Smith to rebarrel an S&W .44 mag?

Have you considered the S&W performance center?

"Precision Gunsmithing Services
The same master gunsmiths responsible for the quality and performance of Performance Center handguns will apply their expertise to upgrade, enhance and refurbish your new or existing revolvers and pistols. Because these services and packages are through Smith & Wesson, you can be assured of professional service and a high quality result. Express Services available for unaltered guns from 1990 and newer.

To discuss Smith & Wesson Performance Center Services call 1-800-331-0852. Please have your serial number available when calling for information."

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/s...96_757896_image

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Beef_Supreme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's a 'Master Gunsmith?'</div></div>

I would think it would be a person who has been with the company for a while and has the ability to produce quality work on a consistent basis. With my luck a master gunsmith is some jack ass who shows up every day and got a kickass job in spite of the lackluster work they do.

Believe me,the guys at s&w are some of the best period. Clark is also a real good choice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wintermute</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been looking for a smith who can rebarrel an S&W .44mag Model 629 revolver. Anyone here have any recommendtions?

Thanks in advance.

--Wintermute </div></div>
Everyone has offered a suggestion but I have a question.
Why do you need to rebarrel your 629? Bad/shot out or looking for something radical/custom?

Just curious.

The barrel rifling at the end of the barrel is crazed and cracked. Accuracy went out the window when the rifling cracked.

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys. I had no idea, but apparently since it's a failure of the weapon, S&W will replace the barrel under warranty (guess I get to test that out). The gun hasn't had anything but factory federal run through it, so I figure they should replace it. Anyone had any experience with their warranty dept? Are they easy to deal with?

Thanks again.

--Wintermute

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA RPK!
I love the too often used mythical term 'Master gunsmith'.
By what authority does a gunsmith become a master? There are Master Pistolsmiths in the Pistolsmith guild, Master Custom Gunmakers......... but Master Gunsmith?

http://articles.wdbj7.com/2011-01-08/gunsmith_27018396

Like this guy LOL!!! I wrote such a scathing letter to the station about this one. People started calling me withing 5 minutes of this airing, asking me WTF? 4 years of education for an associate's degree from Piedmont? It took him twice as long as most. Wow.

They have a lifetime service policy which means they may replace any defective part for the original owner (if gun was made after 1989) but will not normally replace parts due to normal wear or abuse.
Just how many rounds have been down that barrel?