• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Big Magnum Revolver, what is just right?

If you are looking for a “big boom revolver”, the top two (500 and 460) would do it. The next two (44 and 357) are fine but may not be what you have in mind. The 22 WMR is a fun plinker but not much boom. If you go with the 460, you can shoot 460, 454, and 45 Colt.
View attachment 8385651
Is that Colt a Peacemaker?
If so I have one also, with both cylinders, getting some age on it!
Wonder how many were built
Colt Peacemaker LR Mag.jpg

Also like my (pre Super) Red Hawk and Super Black Hawk.
Both are fine pistols to shoot.
And the .44mag will part hair well enough for me.

Reactions: lash
I've had a Super Redhawk in 480 and just couldn't get the ergonomics to work for me.

Now I've got a S&W Performance Center 500 with 8"? Barrel and comp. It is night and day better than the Ruger!

300gr. plinking loads are a pleasure to shoot. The 520gr FP full house loads are another story though!

The gun was great out of the box and I have no regerts aboot making the switch!

Have owned my full share of magnum revolvers over 50+ years, poured mountains of heavy for caliber cast bullets through them, and now have enough issue with arthritis in wrist that it’s not quite the fun it used to be.
Read Ross Seyfried’s work with 45 Colt and commissioned John Linebaugh to convert a 44 mag Bisley to 45 Colt. Was early days and John’s recommended load was a 310gr SWC over HS6 for about 950–1000fps. Not much even today would stand up to that moderate load.
Moved gun on, ‘graduated’ to a field grade 454 Casull with all the options and it wouldn’t shoot cast bullets for shit till I opened up throats .454 to accept a .4535 bullets, because barrel slugged .453. Moved it on, as well.
Next, BFR .475 Linebaugh. 400gr cast bullets at 13-1400fps nothing to sneeze at, but are now more sensibly loaded to 900fps. And have gone down the small and large frame AR rabbit hole, so nothing is shot much anymore.
All said, 41 Mag Redhawk was my favorite for delivering controllable power accurately. It was regrettably converted to 45 Colt with a big fat slab barrel before Ruger ever offered one.
There’s a Bowen 475 Linebaugh on GB right now if you’ve got $7500 jingling around loose in your pocket. He’s inarguably the best at his craft, if you are willing to step forward.

Is that Colt a Peacemaker?
If so I have one also, with both cylinders, getting some age on it!
Wonder how many were built
View attachment 8386113

Also like my (pre Super) Red Hawk and Super Black Hawk.
Both are fine pistols to shoot.
And the .44mag will part hair well enough for me.
Mine is a 3rd Gen made in 1979. It is still unfired with the original box. It is chambered in .44 Special. While I shoot all of my S&W revolvers, the Colt stays in the safe. No idea why I don’t just take it out as I don’t have any kids so it will most likely just end up at an estate auction some day after the wife and I are gone.

I've been wanting a big boom revolver for a bit and keep gravitating to the 454 Casul or similar, but wonder if I will miss going bigger.

This will mainly be a range toy, but something I could carry in the woods if I wanted. This is for shooting standing, I have a bunch of Contenders for bench and supported shooting.

I can handle recoil just fine, I've shot 500 S&W one handed and encore pistols in magnum rifle cartridges. I want something big, but must be enjoyable and accurate, not simply a double dog dare to try it.

What pushes me away from the X frame revolver is the size and weight. Simply not fun to shoot once the novelty wears off. I am a big guy, but supporting a 4.5 lb pistol sucks.

So finally getting to my question, what is the Goldie Locks perfect ballance, bigger than 44Mag, but not too big.

I reload, and would like the option of different power levels like 45 Colt / 454 Casul, 44 Mag, 454 Super, etc. I mostly like S&W and double action, but open to any high quality single or double revolver. What is your favorite?

I ended up going .454 Casull. In my case a Freedom Arms M83 Premier Grade with a 6” bbl. I had it sent back to Freedom Arms for an action tune, over travel stop, and most importantly installing a .45 ACP auxiliary cylinder. So now I can run anything from full power .454 loads to powder puff .45 ACP, note that if you plan to run iron sights to accomplish a wide array of bullet weights and velocities you will need something with a ton of elevation adjustment or interchangeable front sights. Freedom Arms revolvers are super easy to swap front sights, so not a problem. I haven’t noticed any degradation in accuracy putting .451” diameter bullets for the ACP down the .452” bore, with an RMR for sighting it stacks bullets into a ragged hole out of either cylinder if I can hold up my end of the deal.

IMG_0270.jpeg

One other issue I had with Casull was that it was short throated. Perhaps that’s been resolved more recently. To get any cast bullet with any more than a minimal front shoulder band to chamber properly, you’d have to deep seat and apply a heavy crimp on that band. Think NEI 310 Keith style SWC or the LBT WFN bullets if using Casull brass. Even 45 Colt brass was a potential issue with some shapes. All things can be overcome with some creative thinking, but was an issue for me, as I cast everything I shot for years, and didn’t expect this from a truly premium priced product as an early adopter, way back when.

I have a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan in .454 Casull. Great gun and compact with a 2 1/2” barrel. I mainly only carry it when fly fishing in heavy brown bear areas but it’s a fun range toy as well. It’s a handfull but with a little range time you’ll get used to it - kind of…
I think there is a video out there of a guy shooting one of these in a USPSA match or something similar. It was interesting but I'm not sure his hands felt great after the run.

My limit WAS a S&W Model 29 4". I carried that in Alaska stoked with 300 gr hardcast WFN bullets. 45 LC would be another good one handloaded hot. Sure their are bigger but for me as a working bear defense handgun to augment a rifle that's my pick.

Reactions: lash
However I should say I gave my buddy my S&W M29 so now I carry my S&W 686 4". It's my go to for snake, coyote, cougar, black bear, wolves, and two legged varmints in the woods.

I think there is a video out there of a guy shooting one of these in a USPSA match or something similar. It was interesting but I'm not sure his hands felt great after the run.

If you shoot 45 Long Colt cartridges its not bad.

With 300+ grain .454 loads you're hands will thank you for putting it down after a dozen or so rounds.

Phelps Heritage or a Century 100 in 45-70 (if you can find one, I have been looking).
Dan Wesson .445 Supermag
S&W .460 or 500
Hot rodded Blackhawk in .475 Limbaugh (SP)

Reactions: Old Man with Gun