• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

SMK's for deer hunting?

bigmike2121

Private
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2011
longview, tx
Hey guys,

308 5R remmy is the gun. will deer hunt at any range from 50 to 3/400 yards.
FGMM 175 gr. SMK is the bullet. will this round perform well on deer and hogs at these yardages. If not, please feel free to give alternate (factory) suggestions.

thanks

Re: SMK's for deer hunting?

Will perform better at 100 yards than 50 yards... but will definately do the trick.

DK

And welcome to the Hide!! Enjoy your stay... and READ alot!!

DK

been lurking forever, have 6 boxes of FGMM 175's didnt want to have to sight in w/ something else.

People will recommend better bullets for the job however I've never had a problem. Take out both shoulder's, heart, or throat and your fine.

Shot an 8 point a couple years ago with 168 SMK @ 40 yards. Brought him down in a hurry and made an impressive wound cavity. Shot placement will win over bullet type/weight. Good luck.

here we go again...can it be done yes, should it be done, probably not. Why use a SMK when other bonded bullets that are meant for hunting can be used? Every bullet company has a match line and a hunting line - use the hunting line for hunting and leave the match bullets for paper and steel.

My two favorites are Nosler Accubond and Barnes TTSX.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSTARSZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">here we go again...can it be done yes, should it be done, probably not. Why use a SMK when other bonded bullets that are meant for hunting can be used? Every bullet company has a match line and a hunting line - use the hunting line for hunting and leave the match bullets for paper and steel.

My two favorites are Nosler Accubond and Barnes TTSX. </div></div>

I would have to agree... If you have no option due to funds or availablity...yes it can be done, but there are a LOT of more appropriate choices out there. I have found Sierra's GameKing bullets in .223 and .308 to be virtually as accurate out to 200-250 yds (that's as far as I've had the opportunity to shoot them) as their SMKs. Particularly the SGK 165g bullets in .308. Nosler's Ballistic Tip Hunting in 165g work great as well.

Amax, lapua scenars, berger bullets all are great for long range and killing.....the SMKs are fine and will kill any white tailed deer at practically any distance provided you put the bullet in a lethal area.

check out the hunting section and do a search for "kills" w the above mentioned bullets

I will be hunting this season with the 178 A-Max and 175 SMK, but most likely the A-max.

Yes, SMK will work. No, they will not magically bring down a moose with a butt cheek shot. But the round will only perform as well as you can. My philosophy is that a hole in the heart is a hole in the heart is a hole in the heart. I haven't taken a deer with the SMK yet, but from the expansion they had with a few bean-greedy woodchucks, I'm not worried.

My .02 - Be precise, and you'll be fine. If its heart grows back before it bleeds to death, you can blame me.

-Travis

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Travis Mihm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will be hunting this season with the 178 A-Max and 175 SMK, but most likely the A-max.

Yes, SMK will work. No, they will not magically bring down a moose with a butt cheek shot. But the round will only perform as well as you can. My philosophy is that a hole in the heart is a hole in the heart is a hole in the heart. I haven't taken a deer with the SMK yet, but from the expansion they had with a few bean-greedy woodchucks, I'm not worried.

My .02 - Be precise, and you'll be fine. If its heart grows back before it bleeds to death, you can blame me.

-Travis</div></div> No fatal ass wound? Damn it man....AMAX it is.

Ive shot several with the 168 SMK and it worked as good as it could. None of them ran very far, i have no complaints.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSTARSZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">here we go again...can it be done yes, should it be done, probably not. Why use a SMK when other bonded bullets that are meant for hunting can be used? Every bullet company has a match line and a hunting line - use the hunting line for hunting and leave the match bullets for paper and steel.

This^^

I've hit deer everywhere between 100 yards and 700 yards with 180 SMK, and it zings right through in all cases. Lethal? Yes, with a good hit. I think it's a better idea to choose a bullet that is designed to do what you are trying to achieve.

I've had SMKs fail to do the trick with well-placed shots. I've had much, much better luck with VLDs, Accubonds, Gamekings, and BTs.

I have killed a bunch of mule deer with 175 grain SMKs and not once have I had an issue.

It is not my normal hunting bullet, but if that is what the rifle shoots best with, I will use it without hesitation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: southpaw68</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSTARSZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">here we go again...can it be done yes, should it be done, probably not. Why use a SMK when other bonded bullets that are meant for hunting can be used? Every bullet company has a match line and a hunting line - use the hunting line for hunting and leave the match bullets for paper and steel.

I would have to agree... If you have no option due to funds or availablity...yes it can be done, but there are a LOT of more appropriate choices out there. I have found Sierra's GameKing bullets in .223 and .308 to be virtually as accurate out to 200-250 yds (that's as far as I've had the opportunity to shoot them) as their SMKs. Particularly the SGK 165g bullets in .308. Nosler's Ballistic Tip Hunting in 165g work great as well.

</div></div>

I shoot a hot 168 SMK for target stuff, but the Nosler Ballistic tip matches my dope out to 250 for sure. It also has about .5 POI shift between the two, so really not an issue for me. Use a hunting bullet if at all practical.

I was using SMK's for target stuff and AMAX's for hunting. I've hunted with both before and both worked good. I now switched to 178 AMAX's for everything as it gets the job done for hunting and just as accurate, in my gun, as the 175 SMK.

As some said above, it can be done, but there are better bullets for the job.

The thing about whitetails that consistently amazes me is how tough they are once they're hit. I've seen deer hit with well placed shots (heart and lungs hit) run for over over 100 yards and not even looked like they were hit until they just collapsed. I typically use a 7 mag with accubonds or nosler partitions and haven't had many run more than a couple of steps. I prefer to use a bullet that is going to have some pretty impressive early expansion but still penetrate well. From my experience, that combination works pretty well. I've never used a MatchKing in a deer hunting round, but with good shot placement I wouldn't worry too much about it. As long as youre taking a broadside shot you should be fine.

I have shot a few does with my .22-250 using Amaxs and ballistic tip. Head shots (taken with extremely stable rest and ideal conditions) have the expected result, instant death and mangled skull cavity. Heart/lung shots work too but you should expect a dinner plate sized exit wound. If you hit a shoulder, you're probably not going to be able to eat any of it, trust me.

As far as feral hogs go, I've killed them with just about everything other than a .22lr. .22-250 drops them like flies, 7 mag and .308 kill them with boring regularity. .264 win mag with accubonds drops them in their tracks as far as I want to shoot them. 9mm, 40 s&w and .45 acp all do well too. AR's just seem like cheating.

Its like real estate-Location, location,location. I have shot 6 Elk with 175 grainers(200-503 yards) and they all dropped like a stone. Shot placement is the key.

Use what you want, and shoot it well....

BUT, if you want to know what I'd use if I were using a 308?

130 TTSX.....flat as a 260 or 270 to 400 yds......as fast as the 270/130 loads. What can you NOT like about a flatter lower recoiling load that is made for hunting and kills well? If that is not accurate, or you want more downrange impact and positive expansion on longer shots, consider a 150 Accubond.

Shooting matches - shoot match bullets.

Hunting? Why NOT use a good hunting bullet? Enough around w/good BC and SD, accurate, deadly....and just DESIGNED to do a better job on game.

Flame me if you must, and yes I have killed using AMAX's but niche match bullets used on large game, have limits and if you want to optimize results, you have to be selective in how far and where you hit an animal, IMHO.

Expansion with GOOD penetration will ensure vitals are taken out when the shooter does their job. Expansion w/iffy penetration, or Penetration w/iffy expansion is not the ideal selection.

A balance is best for overall all around hunting use IMO.

Will match bullets kill? Certainly, just as FMJs will. Are they just as effective as hunting bullets? As reliable? Consistently?

Well....that all depends......

I see all too often people choosing bullets based on emotion of pure paper ballistic analysis vs. thinking logically about design of the bullet, and optimum results in the field, being achieved by a given bullet made for HUNTING vs paper/steel as it's application.

this is the best advice IMO

Put it in the right spot, and a SMK will kill it grave-yard dead. Miss my a little, you'll wish you had a bullet designed to puree the animal.
I hunt Amax and SMK almost exclusively and have had great results with both.

But don't miss. Not even by a little.

I have yet to use a "hunting" bullet that didn't give up precision and accuracy to some degree.

Since the vast majority cannot shoot for shit, I would agree with your end result; however, for me, I disagree with the process.

Precision and accuracy is relative.

Yesterday I put from my factory 243, and a cold bbl, 2 95gr Ballistic tips into 11/16" at 200 yds, let cool, put the next 2 shots into UNDER 1/4", at 200 yds.

I am not the best shot, and using a 10x scope, but show me someone that can hold closer than that in the field AWAY from sandbags.

I think not.

THAT level of accuracy will NEVER cause one to miss. If one misses, THEY missed, not the bullet's fault in accuracy or precision.

I have fired 6.5mm 130 Accubonds ALL Day long into 1" groups at 200 yds, first 2 shots going into the same hole, in two consecutive groups using FC brass in a 260, and THAT was done using a factory Sako sporter.

HOW much more accurate do you NEED????

I think some guys have never fired Accubonds or other hunting bullets and have NO idea how accurate quality hunting bullets are even if they won't win matches against an Amax, SMK, or Scenar.

SHOOT Good bullets in a good rifle, that are designed for hunting and get back to me telling me they are so poor shooting you will miss. It's just not so.

Sorry. Accubonds and many others are VERY accurate bullets.

FWIW, I've developed good match loads with SMKs and Nosler Custom Competitions for my .308s and .30-06s. I've developed good hunting loads for TTSXs in my .30-06s and TSXs in my .308s. If an animal's vitals are 2-3 MOA depending on distance, why worry about 0.5 MOA groups with match bullets if they are not consistently reliable performers on game?

Barnes TSX/TTSX work well and shoot to <1MOA out of my 4 .30 cal rifles so I use them for hunting. I'm nearly as happy with Nosler Partitions, Hornady A-MAXs (deer only) and am still working on Bergers, which I've purchased only recently.

Firearms and ammo are tools...would you choose a hammer to sink a screw if you had a screwdriver available?

FH

Sierra bullets are a bad idea for hunting!All of them.They don't expand reliably.I lost a doe because a sierra 225 gr. 35 cal blew up.And that was a 225 grain 35 cal out or a 350rem mag.Barnes x bullets have no equal.I would shoot a 130 gr. ttsx at 3000 fps or better out of a 308 and never be sorry.

I use Nosler BT 168's. Extremely accurate and incredibly lethal on whitetail, well placed or not.

Nosler ballistic tips blow up.They are fine if there isn't any limbs or brush in the way.Accubonds are the best bullet made by nosler for hunting.I test them and see how they expand.Partitions lose the front end,Accubonds retain just as much weight and have a larger frontal diameter.Ballistic tips blow apart and maybe leave a little lead and the base of the jacket.

While I have killed game with SMK's, it's not the best tip for hunting. I shot 8 deer over the last few months with nuisance permits with 140A-Max's, all neck/head shots and not a one took a step, ranges from 86 to 206. I prefer something that will expend a ton of energy and do some serious damage. The A-Max's go grenade when they hit but still get good penetration. If I were going to use my 308, the 178 A-Max would be my choice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rancid Coolaid</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSTARSZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">here we go again...can it be done yes, should it be done, probably not. Why use a SMK when other bonded bullets that are meant for hunting can be used? Every bullet company has a match line and a hunting line - use the hunting line for hunting and leave the match bullets for paper and steel.

I have yet to use a "hunting" bullet that didn't give up precision and accuracy to some degree.

Since the vast majority cannot shoot for shit, I would agree with your end result; however, for me, I disagree with the process.</div></div> I have had good success with Barnes 168 GR TTSX as far as accuracy. But, they are expensive so I don't send too many of them downrange. I look at it that I have a 2-3" area to hit with the bullet so I am good to go. I also hunt with a 6.8mm 95Gr TTSX bullet out of an AR and get 3/4-1 MOA at 100. Barnes makes some good accurate bullets as well as the Berger VLD Hunting bullets. I just don't see the need to use SMK's on deer when there are so many other bonded bullets that are meant for that purpose. The R&D that goes into the hunting bullets alone makes me have faith that I will get a better wound channel with a hunting bullet vice a match bullet. But, to each his own...like I said SMK's will kill, no doubt, but I choose the hunting bullets for hunting applications. That is just me.

I have a 5R also in .308 and had to make this decision last year after I figured I'd try to tag a deer with it. I was gonna use 175gr SMK's or 168gr Nosler Custom Competitions, but at the last minute decided to try some 150gr Gamekings. To my suprise they shot as good or better than the SMK's under 200 yds. I had the opportunity to take an 8 pointer at 75 yds and he was stopped in his tracks with the 150gr Gamekings. I'm glad I chose that bullet to go with.

I have shot some groundhogs with the SMK's and Nosler Competition bullets and they are more than sufficient for them. They provide a quick kill, kinda messy, but quick.

I got 6 deer last season with Hornady .308 150 grain SST rounds. Not one of them ran more than ten yards.

Lee.

Never had one that didn't die on the spot with SMK's Many with 168's and a few with 175's. Shot placement is key.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 350 Kid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nosler ballistic tips blow up.They are fine if there isn't any limbs or brush in the way.Accubonds are the best bullet made by nosler for hunting.I test them and see how they expand.Partitions lose the front end,Accubonds retain just as much weight and have a larger frontal diameter.Ballistic tips blow apart and maybe leave a little lead and the base of the jacket. </div></div>

Not doubting you but our results are hard to argue with. Every whitetail we have shot broadside has an exit wound and fall there and then upon impact. That tells me they do not "blow up". I hunt in the mountains of Virginia and there are plenty of trees, shrubs, branches, etc. and have never had a problem with the bullets not getting to the target. (Yes a tree will stop the bullet, any bullet)

I can always find a load for the BT, from 150's to 168's and they shoot as good as the match bullets out to ?.

150 gr TSX does the job in both .30 cal.

I've got 1/2 MOA loads in both .308 and 30.06 that have worked well on white tail, axis and , with good shot placement, red deer.

My 7mn rem mag (browning BAR) and my .264 win mag (sendero) both shoot Nosler partitions sub-moa out to at least 400 yards. I prefer accubonds to hunt with, but Nosler partitions are plenty accurate. My dad has a 7mm rem mag that shoots 160 grain partitions even better.

If you're not using a good hunting bullet, shot placement and distance are critical. If you shoot a game animal at close range with a thin jacketed hunting bullet, you risk the bullet fragmenting and not penetrating deep enough to kill. Same issue if you miss a little and hit some of the heavy bones in the shoulder, there's a chance the bullet won't penetrate them and cause the damage needed for a humane kill.

If you're going to use match type bullets, make sure you know your animals anatomy well am you place your bullets effectively because you don't have the error margin you do with hunting bullets.

I ´ve shot a lot of game with the 168amax and works very well, expands and penetrates.

HAve shot also the 175smk, it is acurate but does not expand so well, not so reliable for terminal ballistics.Animals hit by the max go down much faster in general.

If you are looking for the accuracy of a match bullet to be used for hunting medium game, I would stick with the 168 or 178 amax.

I know it's not suggested to do so, but I've killed several deer with a 168 SMK. Shots were from 150 to 250 yards. All of them had substantial exit holes and none of the deer traveled more than a few yards after being hit.

A quick update with new details: I hunted hogs this weekend with a 260, running 142-gr SMKs. Only brain- and spine-shots resulted in instant incapacitation (bang-flop.) I made several low shoulder shots and, in each of the 3 instances, the hog ran for at least 10 yards.

No more SMKs hunting for me, unless the caliber is far beyond what is needed for the animal being hunted.

I was hunting outside Laredo, TX; if the animal moves more than 5 feet off the road, brush is so thick the animal might be gone forever.

This is a frequent question in fora. The Sierra Reloading Manual is specific: SMKs SHOULD NOT BE USED FOR HUNTING APPLICATIONS.

When I hunt, I want to be as likely to succeed as possible. Accordingly, I'll use the most appropriate tools for the job to be done. This means one of my hunting rifles with a sporter barrel, a scope with bullet drop compensation (my preference is Zeiss 3-9x40 with RapidZ 600 or 3.5-10x44 with RapidZ800) and a hunting bullet appropriate for the game I'm hunting. I've had good success with Hornady A-MAXs, Nosler BTs and Accubond, and Barnes TSX and TTSX. I use 168gr bullets in my .30 cal rifles and expect that the bullet willd o its job if I do mine.

FH

i do most of my hog hunting with a pistol and once shot a little boar with a 44mag through the dead ass center of the heart. literally shredded it. that little pig made a 50yd circle in a wheat field before heading down the trail i was sitting on and nearly running me over. he ran face first, full throttle, into a tree that was behind me and that was it. i dont think he was after me i think he was just running dead. the point is, if you are looking for a bullet, and believe it exists, that will bring all of your game down without so much as a quiver, while using a standard behind the shoulder shot, you are fooling yourself. the sierra will work fine for what you are wanting to do. i shot an antelope last week using the 168mk in my 308. hit him in the shoulders, which is what i do with any bullet, and he went down on the spot. the exit was 2" or more in diameter and i consider the performance very good. if he had of run a few yards before going down would i have considered it bad bullet performance? hell no! thats the way it goes. where i hunt pigs it is so thick that it is hands and knees most of the time. i try to shoot them in the ear now so i dont have to track them through that stuff, but a particular bullet choice wouldnt change that any.

chuck

Helped track a nice buck once that was shot with a 30-06 using a 180 grain power point. Perfect shot, right through the heart. Deer went more than 400 yards.

Adrenalin . . .

I'm not putting rounds behind the shoulder, I am putting them through the shoulder. Usually I hunt Amax, they grenade in the animal, hit a big bone, and send bone shrapnel everywhere, usually taking out the heart and lungs - and destroying the animal's capacity to run.

I didn't break down the hogs with a shoulder shot, but could tell from the exit of at least one that the bullet went through the shield, through light bone, and exited the opposite side mostly intact.

I know it is an ongoing conversation, in this and other threads. Previously, I stated that I had hunted SMKs with great results, this was the first time I had multiple hits with a new caliber and did not get the results I anticipated.

SMKs make nice holes in paper and nice sounds on steel, but - at least in .264 142's at about 2700 at the muzzle - don't cleanly kill hogs on the spot.

I know the "do all" bullet doesn't exist, but I haven't had this particular hunting experience till this past weekend, I posted simply to amend prior statements to include the most recent anecdotes.

Never had one fail on animals, yet. Tried the Amax also, but couldn't tell the difference in wound channels between the two bullets in animals.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rancid Coolaid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A quick update with new details: I hunted hogs this weekend with a 260, running 142-gr SMKs. Only brain- and spine-shots resulted in instant incapacitation (bang-flop.) I made several low shoulder shots and, in each of the 3 instances, the hog ran for at least 10 yards.

No more SMKs hunting for me, unless the caliber is far beyond what is needed for the animal being hunted.

I was hunting outside Laredo, TX; if the animal moves more than 5 feet off the road, brush is so thick the animal might be gone forever.</div></div>

Accubonds are better than SMKs, but the SMKs are not likely the problem. No offense please but there is really no such thing as instant incapacitation with any round unless it is a CNS hit. For instance, last year I shot a big-bodied 8 point, mostly broadside, from only 140 yards with a 165 grain Accubond from a 308 at 2700fps. It went down, popped right back up, and ran 85 yards, then disappeared into a thicket. It was obviously hit but ran fast enough to make me question my shot placement - "how did I mess up a 140 yard shot??!"

I waited about 20 minutes and then went looking...found it a ways into the thicket. Fist size exit would that obliterated the off-side shoulder, obvious huge expansion. Field dressing revealed that the bullet entered right behind the near shoulder like it was supposed to, and completely destroyed the heart. I mean, the whole top two-thirds was gone, in fact the remaining bottom tip of the heart was upside down in the chest cavity, completely disconnected from the lungs. Bottom line is instant incapacitation doesn't exist, even with a great shot. This deer ran three legged with no heart near one hundred yards faster than a wide receiver even dreams about.

The only way you are going to immobilize any animal without a CNS hit is to break both shoulders, so that mechanically it is impossible for them to run.

Three takeaways for me from that and similar experiences is:
1. Always meticulously search for hair/blood even though you think you may have missed...deer have the heart of a champion and can shrug off massive hits for at least a short amount of time. I have a lot of respect for what these animals are capable of.
2. Hunting over the years has caused me to rethink my handgun philosophy...even though most animals are tougher than humans, humans are still capable of amazing things under stress/adrenaline or drugs. The failure drill (or Mozambique) is my standard shot philosophy and I consider capacity as more important than I did in the past, leading me away from the single stack to the polymer guns if you can shoot them well.
3. Considering that the energy from that 308 shot was around five times that of the common defensive handgun rounds, it is clear that to me now that the difference in energy and effect between the three most common rounds is likely moot in most cases, and that all are woefully underpowered for any hope of instant incapacitation, and that none of them should be chosen on that hope alone.
How's that for thread creep!

KY, I appreciate the post, but...

I am not new to hunting.
I wrote allot, deleted it, will summarize:
SMKs not good for hunting unless caliber far exceeds what is needed for the animal in question. A 300WM against a 120-pound white tail: have at it, I've done it many times. A 260Remington against a 200-pound hog: it'll die, but it'll run first.

I've seen SMKs puree animal parts, and I've now seen it cut a clean, small channel and produce a small exit wound.

Do as you wish, but I am done hunting SMKs in smaller calibers.