• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Smoking meats

padronanniversary

Sergeant
Minuteman
In keeping with the tradition of bama and switch, here's my contribution for this weekend.

2 beef briskets and 2 baby backs. Was going to also throw a boston butt on there, but ran out of room.

3b1a2ac4.jpg

Re: Smoking meats

looks mighty fine to me!!! I smoked 10.lbs of chicken breast on thursday night. I might smoke some venison tomorrow.

It pisses me off that I'm having a helluva time trying to fine boston butts around here. Everyone has pork shoulder but no butts

Hey Doc, I was tossing around the idea of smoking chicken breasts rather than whole birds. You smoking boneless/skinless or breasts with ribs, skin or no skin?

I always leave them with the bone and skin on as they tend to dry out otherwise. You also might try some whole turkey's they are unbelievable smoked.

Last time I smoked a chicken it was tough as hell...to get a good draw on it and the sucker wouldn't stay lit!

Really though, it was whole bird, skin on, rubbed under the skin and on top of it. That was some seriously good bird. Oh yeah, the rub was 'Bama's too

That is a class rig Padron, solid as hell

Happy 4th!!! I woke up a 4 am to put the beef brisket on the smoker, two 8 pounders. I will add 4 racks of ribs and beans at noon. Plan to eat around 6 pm and watch some fireworks. Ya'll have a safe and happy 4th. Pics to come.

Very Nice Padron!

I can't be sure but that is a side feed smoker correct? What woods and coals did you use? And how often did you have to feed in fuel?

Happy Independence Day everyone!

Oh man, I ate so much last nite. The ribs came out perfect. The brisket, I should have trimmed the fat like last time, came out a tad on the greasy side, but have plenty left.

Queequeg, yes, its a offset firebox smoker (yoder brand). I use lump coal, fill the box up on the side, stuff some news paper under light, and then use a leaf blower to stoke the fire until it reaches about 250 or so, which only takes 30 secs or so. I was using one of those charcoal chimneys, but this is so much faster and gets a hot even eat eating down the coals for about 4-5 hours.

I've been using hickory and apple wood lately. a few hand fulls each hour.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tansinator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Happy 4th!!! I woke up a 4 am to put the beef brisket on the smoker, two 8 pounders. I will add 4 racks of ribs and beans at noon. Plan to eat around 6 pm and watch some fireworks. Ya'll have a safe and happy 4th. Pics to come. </div></div>

Sounds great, I'll stop by there about 7 lol.

I don't know if this question was for Pardon or me, but it turned out great. 4 racks of ribs gone. One brisket gone. All of the mac and cheese from the other post gone, a big hit. Thanks, Switchblade. We drank way too many beers to take pics. All in all a great 4th, thank you to all the men and women in service in the past and present. You have all made this possible.

Eddie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: djw442</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tansinator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Happy 4th!!! I woke up a 4 am to put the beef brisket on the smoker, two 8 pounders. I will add 4 racks of ribs and beans at noon. Plan to eat around 6 pm and watch some fireworks. Ya'll have a safe and happy 4th. Pics to come. </div></div>

Sounds great, I'll stop by there about 7 lol.</div></div>

The other brisket was for you!

haha, I did the same thing, drank way too many beers with my belly stuffed. I think I got the rib thing down. I'm gonna go for more chruncy ribs next time.

The best part about it, i simply just freeze the left overs. My son (a tad over 1) is eating meat like crazy, a few ribs, a few slices of briskets, and a big smile on his face.

You just need to keep a draft going from your firebox to your top vent. I always position the firebox draft into the wind. I no wind a small fan at the box will work. I always add a little more charcoal as I add wood. This helps the wood burn.

Ribs go in in 2 hours. Oak and apple wood.