• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing SMOOOOTH action....

SuperTuck

Private
Minuteman
May 12, 2009
Princeton, Minnesota
I suppose the best way to get a smooth action would be to buy a nice after-market bolt. Are there other ways to get a slick action that I can do on my own?

Re: SMOOOOTH action....

What kind of action? Factory or custom? Remington pattern or Winchester?

I know I have read numerous articles on slicking up factory actions to make them smoother and the basic rule is to polish any metal-on-metal bearing surfaces to a bright, burr-free finish. Take care not to over-polish. Once any burrs or extraneous machining marks are removed, lube with a good quality lubricant and you should have the smoothness you want.

The smoothest factory action I have ever experienced was an Anschutz 54. After that was an old Czech Vz 24. Current production Remchestervages need some polishing and stoning here and there to be slick.

So what are you trying to smoothe?

When the action is getting a little bit rough, I pull out my bolt, spit on it and slam it back in. Bingo Bango Bongo, slick action! That's your gunsmithin' tip of the week and as always, "That's the way it is".

Just a Remington 700. I suppose I should just Google around to find a good article for a step by step approach for the best polish. I will go ahead and do that.

I have a tikka T3 that is slick as butter. My rem 700 is pretty nice too. I had it trued and blueprinted and then did a little polishing and it too slides nice.

Mine feels like crap and nothing spit would fix at this point.
eek.gif

I'm going to go ahead and polish it up this weekend and see how that does.

Look at the places where the metal-to-metal contact has polished the finish off - that's where you need to polish. Use high number wet-or-dry sandpaper (400 and/or 600) to get things going and then use WD 40 or some light oil with the 600 to get a real bright polish. Some fine lapping compound can be used, but you must make sure to get it all out of the action after you are done.

Google should produce a good article or two.

My brother had his Surgeon bolt hard chromed. It is a bit pricey, but, oh man, is it smoooooth.

Also, sometimes the worn off finish/dirt/grease gums up in the bolt raceway....
If they get real sticky, I'll clean the raceway and lug area of the receiver with acetone and Q-tips.. then regrease... always works for me...
FWIW,
Andy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SuperTuck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine feels like crap and nothing spit would fix at this point.
eek.gif

I'm going to go ahead and polish it up this weekend and see how that does. </div></div>

How many rounds do you have through it and how often do you dry fire?

It probably took my SPS-V about a month before it wore in. Now it's smooth as can be when it's clean and oiled. Dry firing daily will polish the weapon AND your skills.

Lap the bolt races and bolt with 800-1000 grit. Or, have Robar coat bolt with NP3.

You can put JB bore paste (or even toothpaste) on the contact areas, are run the puppy a hundred or so times. Clean everything before hand well, and clean everything really well after, then lube it up.

I'm not so sure I'd put WD40 or any other liquid lubricant in there. It'll be a dirt magnent. I try to polish all the contact areas as was said and then if I still need a little help use moly or some other dry lubricant. A touch of white grease on the back of the bolt lugs is the only wet stuff that should be around.

My opinion.

Remember you are only wanting to polish out the burrs and high spots that cause the roughness. Anymore is most always doing damage.