• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sniper Jobs? Whats out there?

alex111787

Private
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2013
Ft. Bliss TX
been a sniper for a year now and SDM 2 years prior to that. I love my job but im getting out. Whats out there for prior service snipers?

Re: Sniper Jobs? Whats out there?

Do yourself a favor and go to college when you get out. Shoot on the side

You've been a sniper for a year and basically have next to no experience.
If you love your job that much stay in.

youre definitely right. my issue is im a sergeant, months away from being a staff sergeant. so im near the end of my sniper days unless i go SF or Ranger... that is also an option.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YourMotherTrebek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do yourself a favor and go to college when you get out. Shoot on the side

You've been a sniper for a year and basically have next to no experience.
If you love your job that much stay in.</div></div> What he said, but I won't say that you have "next to no experience". You can do the contracting side of things, but take my word for it, it's not all it's cracked up to be. I'm leaving contracting for college so I can finally get a job that doesn't take me away from my family all the time. There's DDM positions open all the time, but start early on your vetting for the positions.

Otherwise, you always have law enforcement.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alex111787</div><div class="ubbcode-body">youre definitely right. my issue is im a sergeant, months away from being a staff sergeant. so im near the end of my sniper days unless i go SF or Ranger... that is also an option. </div></div>

Even if you stay in there is always the chance you will get RIFed next enlistment. That's just my take on the current political climate. Jobs, for a sniper? If you are willing to think out of the box, how about Alaska hunting guide? of course you would have to find a real job for the other 10 months.

I agree with the others, on instead of college I'd consider a trade school of some sort.

Gonna make a lot more money then you will with most 4 year degrees, PLUS, in todays market, you'll have a much better chance finding and keeping a job.

If you just want to get into the Contractor/Security field, bit the bullet, re-up for EOD school. That's a marketable skill even in the civilian world. Much more in demand then shooters.

Stay in and work on leadership and locking in SSG. It is common for military members to get out at E5 as you are most likely good at your occupation, but still not high enough in rank to enjoy all of the privileges (i/e still get treated like a knucklehead).

If you can, find someone who is doing the exact job you want to do. The find out what it took to get there. If you want to be SF or operational, then seek out all of the jobs and requirements. In the interim work on a degree and start networking.

From a former contractor you don't have the experience to go that route.
I wasn't trying to be mean by saying you have next to no experience. But sorry, a year is what it is.

DDM positions. Yeah sure, for guys with multiple years experience DEPLOYED as a sniper first. And even then you need to find a non jerkoff company to work for and not get dead on deployment somewhere.

Shooters are a dime a dozen out here in the real world as was stated above. Go for something else.

Education can never be taken from you. And when it's free (thank you post 911 GI bill) it's not even a debate on what to do.

Another vote for trade school, cnc operator, machinist = gunsmith who knows his trade. Become the best. Still get to shoot, make a good living too.

Just my .02 but most college degrees are just about worth the paper they are printed on, poor work ethic and B, is the new D grading system for the $ factories called schools. Too many people get degrees who don't deserve them and it waters down the value to the point that you will spend years recovering the wages and experience lost while your in school.

Good Luck

Another vote for trade school, cnc operator, machinist = gunsmith who knows his trade. Become the best. Still get to shoot, make a good living too.

Just my .02 but most college degrees are just about worth the paper they are printed on, poor work ethic and B, is the new D grading system for the $ factories called schools. Too many people get degrees who don't deserve them and it waters down the value to the point that you will spend years recovering the wages and experience lost while your in school.

Good Luck

one option is to be a government trapper, you will make very low pay and be away from family and friends all the time and be under appreciated and get yelled at alot by land owners. Alot like what you are getting now. I did this for a year after college in Montana, while trying to get on with fish and game, it was fun and I did alot of shooting at coyotes, mt. lions other varmints and helped with nuisance bears for the Fish and Game, but long term it wasnt for me.

Take advantage of education be it just for college hours, a degree, or a trade because that piece of paper might be the deal breaker when it comes to landing that job. Remember, you're not the only veteran looking for work.

Don't get me wrong. Plenty of retards have a college degree.

But when it comes down to going for a job, any job. Employers will default to the person with the degree.

I completely disagree, with the trade school ideas. I work in an American manufacturing facility. Our plant is covered in machinists making a decent living wage. However, their managers are all personnel with a Bachelor's degree, in one of several business aspects, or engineering. The machinists top out at a blue-collar wage. Their managers make quite a bit more.

Yes, if you become a machinist and concentrate on firearms, there is a chance that you may be the next G.A. Precision. But I wouldn't bank on it. It is far more likely that you would be living job to job, hoping that you can cover your overhead.

At the end of the day, education is something that can never be taken away. How you leverage it is completely up to you.

OP or any military member has a trade, what he does with it will determine their success in the future. Obtaining a degree ,rank or both shows dedication and discipline. Also as mother stated above, that piece of paper will open more doors and opportunities.

What OP is going through is very common with mid career enlisted, they become proficient at their job and then get that itch for something better. Being a tech, mechanic, operator, or even cook is only one facet of the total package. Honing your leadership skills and getting some time under your belt will allow you to establish yourself in your given community(occupational community).

It is one thing to be good at your job, but another if you can lead others in that same occupation.

By achieving the degree or certification you can then get out of the service because you want to, not because you have to.

Who knows OP may become CSM some day, or maybe just retire as an E6, but either way with free education and so many special programs in the military there is no reason not to succeed.

The market isn't that hot, and it's not going to be looking up with the direction of the economy and government budgeting IMO.

That said if you want a sniper job outside of the military I would milk the military for every day you can put on your experience, do your vetting and get accepted to a program prior to getting out, and turn down the E6 promotion if it forces you out of your section.

Work out and make sure you are at your physical peak, and make sure you have a job lined up prior to getting out.

Common in industry:
Training for jobs that don't exist (a seat on the bench)
Training and deploying and finding no slots available (working in a lower paid shooter position
Volatile fluctuation of market conditions (Job today does not equal job tomorrow).

If you can afford it, at least get an associates degree and then you can probably get a job in law enforcement. If you can't afford to be in college, get a contract job, network, and if you get laid off or the site closes, fight your way to the next job.

YourMotherTrebek said:
From a former contractor you don't have the experience to go that route.
I wasn't trying to be mean by saying you have next to no experience. But sorry, a year is what it is.

I'll double up on this, I tried to get a couple kids I worked with in the Marines jobs with my company after they got out and they didn't have enough experience and they had both been deployed as operators for 2 deployments about 16-18 months if memory served. With as many guys that joined the contract world in '01, '02, '03 and as much as we were all deployed early on while in service there are a lot of over qualified people out there.

Good luck, take some time for yourself but don't wait too long to get in school. The older you get the harder it becomes and the more responsibilities you gain in your personal life!

My 4b got me a pat on the back and plenty of thank yous (but not much else)... I did 2 tours as a 11b/4b and still decided to get out and focus on my education. I'm glad I did. I'm proud to look back at my time in the service but like many have already stated, there's plenty of trigger pullers out there. Invest in yourself (college) or stay in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FlyingGoose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good luck, take some time for yourself but don't wait too long to get in school. The older you get the harder it becomes and the more responsibilities you gain in your personal life!</div></div>
+1 That is really good advice!

will_snipe_for_food_tee-rcf799388096843f4bb059bb8562b1b8c_804gs_512.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alex111787</div><div class="ubbcode-body">been a sniper for a year now and SDM 2 years prior to that. I love my job but im getting out. Whats out there for prior service snipers? </div></div>

How many combat deployments with the military? How many years with the military and in what MOS's is going to play a role in knowing what you are or are not qualified for.

If it's 3 years active, no deployments these guys are right, but for all I know this could just be what you think is "relevant" and you've been in 6 years or 8 years- deployed 2 or 3 times etc.

I mean nocking on the door to E6? That's not 3 year territory typically.

My advice would be to decide on whether you want to be in some sort of management position or not.

If so, go get a degree. At my job I see tons of people with decades of experience being overlooked because they worked in a trade (welding, coatings expert, concrete, etc.) rather than getting a degree. While these people are far from poor (they make considerably more through their contracting company), they will not be able to advance into a management or supervisor position. It might not be for you, but there are some alpha male types that HAVE to have things done their way so if that's you, get a degree.

If not, I would strongly suggest welding. The local unions (yes we have unions in GA) will train you and there are jobs a plenty. If'n you get real good and don't mind a bit of travel, you can make well over $100k/yr doing the nuclear outage circuit. PLUS for that kind of cash you only work 6-7 months a year. The tradeoff is that you will be away from your family and those 6-7 months will be long days. Once you get tired of welding, you can always be a consultant/contractor too. I work with some that make anywhere from $75k-$175k for a 9-5 job. Not bad at all.

Whatever you do, be the best, and don't settle for less than your best. Oh, and thanks for your service!

alex i have a nephew is the same boat, usMc sgt getting getting out with big hopes of black work!,i told him go to school and learn something that will keep you doing something you enjoy and making a living at the same time. Sounds fun but you get old and kicked to the curb later just my 2 cent

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FlyingGoose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Good luck, take some time for yourself but don't wait too long to get in school. The older you get the harder it becomes and the more responsibilities you gain in your personal life! </div></div>

Take that^ seriously whatever you do. I wish you luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alex111787</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love my job but im getting out. Whats out there for prior service snipers? </div></div>

LE, but you will have to eat shit and grin far more often than you will find yourself staring through a scope. Full time teams are few and far between. Most departments have part time teams, which mean you will be full time patrol and have to deal with all the stupidity that comes with that.

Not a lot of trigger puller jobs in the real world that won't find you in Federal Prison.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Griffin Armament</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alex111787</div><div class="ubbcode-body">been a sniper for a year now and SDM 2 years prior to that. I love my job but im getting out. Whats out there for prior service snipers? </div></div>

How many combat deployments with the military? How many years with the military and in what MOS's is going to play a role in knowing what you are or are not qualified for.

If it's 3 years active, no deployments these guys are right, but for all I know this could just be what you think is "relevant" and you've been in 6 years or 8 years- deployed 2 or 3 times etc.

I mean nocking on the door to E6? That's not 3 year territory typically. </div></div>

6-8 years deployed 2-3 times.

yep, even with that your a dime a dozen.

The only UNLESS is

If you were part of socom in some capacity.

Otherwise, your just another dude with service time. Join the club. As said above all that's gonna get you is some thank you's and a DD214.

Smart money says go to college. Get a degree. And in the meantime bang college girls and drink beer. All for the price of free.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LE, but you will have to eat shit and grin far more often than you will find yourself staring through a scope. Full time teams are few and far between. Most departments have part time teams</div></div>

Police Depts don't pick snipers to be cops, they pick cops to be snipers.

You go to an oral board and tell them you want to be a cop so you can be a sniper, they're gonna show you the door.

this is all great advice for the OP, now he will have to make his choices . I was faced with very similar position in 94, I chose the road of a trade and today I am a general contractor.... but it took me several years of very hard work and I do very much regret not taking advantage of the educational opportunities that were available to me ...
thank you for your service !!!!

I recommend the higher education route. Even an associates degree if you don't want a four year BA or BS. Professions that you would use your sniper/shooting skills are few and far between and don't pay much. I have worked with a lot of other veterans in getting into the information technology field. Always lots of demand for well educated and trained IT people. Scores of jobs at all levels across the country in technology.

get a bachelors, possibly more. the bachelors is free so why not take it. college degrees aren't worthless as some think, the worthless ones are the kids that go there with no direction or common sense on what they need to do to succeed. yes, you want to do what you like, but also do what is useful and long term. don't get a psychology degree because you like the human mind. if you go in and spend some time researching what you want to do and how, a college degree will get you very far.

What about law enforcement? Returning military guys are sought after by many agencies, and your skills/experiences would likely help your advancement into a METRO/SWAT unit in a few years.

LE pays decent these days, and you get good benefits if you end up working for the right agency.

I'll be honest with you.... Outside of the military sniper jobs are few and far between. You may be able to get on as a LE sniper if you play your cards right but as already mentioned full time SWAT teams with snipers are not the norm and usually only large departments have them. LE snipers are also not used often especially in large cities as the larger cities tend to be more liberal and snipers scare people so you get the picture.... In any large department you'll have to work your way up from the bottom and go from there. For LE jobs you also have to compete with guys that have A TON of experience and 1-year as a sniper isn't going to look good against a guy with many years of expeience like several I've seen come though my agency.

On the other hand if you don't mind not being a "sniper" Law Enforcement can be a pretty decent paying job and you don't have to worry about long deployments!

I have put much thought into this as well and eventually decided to go LE. But regardless, use your GI Bill. I work 50(ish) hours a week and still have plenty of time for family, online college, and me time. Not too mention post 9/11 not only pays for the education costs 100%, it also pays me around $600 every five weeks for a stipend. It's much higher for in person school but you won't be able to work full time.

I got out after 8 years last may, I thought it would be easy with my background to get on with a department or any job for that matter, I was wrong. Unless you are SF/SEAL/MARSOC w/e, all the good contracting/shooter jobs are few and far between. If you want to go the DEA/ATF/FBI route, you need college...at least (in reality police experience and/or military), most LE departments will require college but waive it for x years of active duty. start there, enroll in college, and work up the ladder until your happy. Another resource no one mentioned is usajobs.gov, you won't find any high speed jobs but that's where all the federal law enforcement agencies post openings.

Any questions pm me, hell if you need help with your resume or stuff let me know as well. My format isn't perfect but it converted mil service well enough to get me in the door. If you have a clearance and aren't tied down anywhere, I recommend you high tail it to the D.C. area, govt. security contracts are dime a dozen and pay higher then all the le departments around, it's a good option if you want to go to school as well. Plus DC MPD is hiring right now. Not too mention most of the federal law enforcement positions are in this area as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alex111787</div><div class="ubbcode-body">been a sniper for a year now and SDM 2 years prior to that. I love my job but im getting out. Whats out there for prior service snipers? </div></div>

If you love your job then why leave? The grass isn't greener on the outside.

The Army, when you leave, will dump you off at your home of record, and if you really do want to leave then start looking at ads in your city's classifieds and online area classifieds. Look for what is plentiful. Don't expect to have a job waiting for you, even if you have been promised one(Like I was).

I got out and there is nothing. I had a plan when I was in, and instead I left. Now my plan is to get back in. It doesn't help that your job application, or resume gets treated the same as meth head's by some Human Resources people, if you put down that you're a veteran.

My recommendation is that you stay in, doing what you love to do. I can, from experience, state that this would be the best kind of job for you. You love it, which means that you'll excel at it. Why leave it, and what are you replacing it with? You don't even know. There is a HUGE, fucking chance that you could end up unemployed because of this current vet-unfriendly, job market.

Stay in. Go SF, or Ranger like you said. They're different animals so make sure you know what you're getting into.

Hell, stay in a little bit longer as a B4, and look into teaching at the Sniper School at Benning. It's good to give back, and it still keeps you in the environment.

And consider the AMU as well too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YourMotherTrebek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Smart money says go to college. Get a degree. And in the meantime bang college girls and drink beer. All for the price of free. </div></div>

This ^^

or... stay in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YourMotherTrebek</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Griffin Armament</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alex111787</div><div class="ubbcode-body">been a sniper for a year now and SDM 2 years prior to that. I love my job but im getting out. Whats out there for prior service snipers? </div></div>

I mean nocking on the door to E6? That's not 3 year territory typically. </div></div>

6-8 years deployed 2-3 times.

yep, even with that your a dime a dozen.

The only UNLESS is

If you were part of socom in some capacity.

Otherwise, your just another dude with service time. Join the club. As said above all that's gonna get you is some thank you's and a DD214.

Smart money says go to college. Get a degree. And in the meantime bang college girls and drink beer. All for the price of free. </div></div>

I didn't say it was easy. To look at the contracting world and pretend everyone has to be SOF or super high speed would be simply not a thorough accessment of the contract world.

There are jobs from probably less than $350 a day to up past $1250 or $1500 a day, locations from Alaskan pipeline or Department of Energy, to war zones, merchant vessels, and African diamond mines.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Those are all contract positions and hiring companies, company clients, daily rates, and required qualifications vary all over the map.

In general you will need a base of experience. 6-8 years in the military, 2-3 deployments, some specialized training is in my opinion moderately qualified for lower to mid level work in many cases.</span>

One of the things that I have noticed about contract work is that the pay varies with the risk. So $350 may be beat cop in a relatively safe area risk level, $560 is probably closing on deployed infantry in combat zone, and $750 and up is an exponential increase in risk. At $1500+ a day, live it up, but you might be measuring your life expectancy in weeks.

I'd love to get paid to clear hogs. So far no joy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LE, but you will have to eat shit and grin far more often than you will find yourself staring through a scope. Full time teams are few and far between. Most departments have part time teams</div></div>

You go to an oral board and tell them you want to be a cop so you can be a sniper, they're gonna show you the door. </div></div>

Good advice on the LE route.

You'd think that LE agencies valued military service and prioritize accordingly.

However my experience has been agencies don't give a shit. They are perfectly fine
taking a guy that worked at walmart his whole life.

Stupid yeah, but that's the reality.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YourMotherTrebek</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> </div></div>

I know you insist on having an opinion even if it robs this guy of any useful information. I'm out.

In the Civilian World - you need education for better paying jobs Most of the time, if you want some form of Mgt down the road (higher pay). HR will be your worst enemy in today Corp. America. And, via Murphy, you can have a trade degree, have multiple patents under your name, own part of a mfg group etc.....and get told your not BEST QUALIFIED due to education ( seen it happen to others ).

GOV World - your MIL experience will help with Vets status/points. BUT, you still have to get past HR and those awesomely fun KSA's. And, even though they say you "don't have to write them out as long as your resume reflects the question.......Not So, best get writing).

TSA could be a place to go for you - look for K-9 handling, Bomb Tech or one of the other postings. GET IN, then move around as wanted. The key is getting in. Although they may or may not go the private way down the road.

Just some thoughts. But HR is the hurdle in most Fed or 'good' Civil jobs that keep you around home better (if that matters) and have a more consistent life style. Naturally, if money is the only trigger for your boat. Listen to those above and start finding the end of the rope to lead you to the rockstar life of Contractor for hire in 'fun' places.

Best advice above - while you can, get as many trades/skills under your belt to cover about anything out there.

First off I am not military so take this with a grain of salt. I do know and live among a some Bragg guys in the high speed MOS's. In your situation I would go SF and try to continue using B4 skills in a SFOD....you love it and after all it takes to acheive why dump it after a year? Continue with that until you are ready for a change and go OCS to get a commission and stay with SF in that capacity. If not and you are still gunning for a challenge why not a try at a SFOD-D slot? Anyway, from watching a good friend go through SF to OCS and now older with a good job in group command that looks to be a pretty good career and life. He enjoyed the high speed stuff and stayed around to now enjoy the pay, rank and privilege as an SF officer. It's going to be hard to find anything contracting or LE that would allow you the options and stability of the Army and continue doing what you love. I would say decide either stay in as a shooter or plan on another career if you get out......but again I am an outsider looking in!

Alex,
Go to snipercompany.com and submit your qualifying documents to the "Restricted Access Section Access Request". Myself and many others have given advice there to many in your similar situation.
There is also a "job posting" section within the "RESTRICTED AREA" that receives listings from the recruiting departments of global government service provider.

Bon Route!

Alex,

Understandably, many of the folks on this forum have had to make this same decision as we transitioned from a military to a civilian career. I will throw in my .02 cents and give you an idea what has worked for me. First off, If you are going to what we called in the Navy a “shore command” that allows you stay grounded for a few years, don’t get out of the military at this time. Utilize the tuition assistance programs and start school while you are still in and have the military pay for as many classes as you can get. Once you activate the post 9/11, you have about 36 months so save that until you actually get out of the service. As you know, you will receive E-5 pay while in school full time for the “brick and mortar” institutions or half if you take classes on-line.

Secondly, if you decide to go the LE route, join the reserve program while you are on active duty and make those contacts early that will benefit you later when you transition from a reserve officer to full time employment. Each state has a different system for reserve programs but in CA, the reserve programs are identical. I actually joined LE reserves before I joined the military and worked with various agencies as I transferred from station to station throughout my active duty time. I am currently a reserve Lieutenant with the San Diego Sheriff’s Department and I run the Dive Unit. I have been with this department for 16 years now. Additionally, I finished by Bachelors and Masters degree while on active duty and when I retired in 2010, I activated my post 9/11 GI Bill and today, I am in the last semester of my doctoral work and will be moving onto my dissertation work in the spring for my PhD and it has not cost me a dime.

Getting a job may require a degree to get the foot in the door; however, personal contacts from the inside are just as effective in finding employment. It’s easy for many of us to reflect back on what we should have done and we can only offer suggestions that you need to decide upon for yourself. The time constraints for education only increase the longer you wait to start and when you do get back in school, don’t stop and think that you are just going to take some time off for a few months because in reality, a two month break may quickly turn into a year as you become sidetracked with other things. Lastly, find something you like to do “in the real world” and start working towards that goal. Being an operator for some private firm may be good for the moment but it is not long term and eventually you will have to make a transition into something else.

The way I look at it you have 3 choices. To have trigger time.
1. Stay in and go the SF/operator path.
2. Drastically change MOS to a high paying civilian job ( avionics, aircraft maintance, etc), new MOS will be a lot better on mind and body, less BS, get out and get a good job and shoot at matches ( this is what I did)
3. Get out and go to collage, get good job and shoot at matches

Think about making the most $$ you can at your job...and then use it to shoot as a hobby.

LE is a waste of time. ( as a sniper)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YourMotherTrebek</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LE, but you will have to eat shit and grin far more often than you will find yourself staring through a scope. Full time teams are few and far between. Most departments have part time teams</div></div>

You go to an oral board and tell them you want to be a cop so you can be a sniper, they're gonna show you the door. </div></div>

Good advice on the LE route.

You'd think that LE agencies valued military service and prioritize accordingly.

However my experience has been agencies don't give a shit. They are perfectly fine
taking a guy that worked at walmart his whole life.

Stupid yeah, but that's the reality. </div></div>

I agree with most of what you guys have said on this subject. I will say that military experience helps you get in the door at my agency, as veterans are given "preference points" in the hiring process (these points account for 5% of the total score, and guys that are hired are often within a percent or two of each other in the hiring process).

But, as you guys said, it isn't like most agencies will hire you and then say: "great, you're a sniper now!". Most places will look at you as a boot for a few years, and you'll have to earn what you get within the department. But, if push comes to shove for a promotional application someday, having that experience can't hurt you.

Seriously? 5 preference points? Help getting in the door, yay. How about using the skill sets that someone brings in for the greater good of the whole team?

And that does what? pretty much next to nothing in many places.

You'd think the departments out there would seek out people with military skills.
But that's not the reality.

And you touched on another retarded thing most le agencies do. And that's undervalue military time and skill sets.

I remember. I'll just say " a bud" of mine. Was getting out of police recruit training and he wanted to be able to carry an AR15 in is patrol vehicle. But when he asked to attend the dept "training" to be able to do that he was refused. And was cited how he needed to work his way up for the privilege of going to that school.

And this was a guy trained in weapons and small unit tactics. The type that knows that weapon inside out and would be an asset to those around him immediately. You'd think the department would recognize that and say. Hey this fucking guy knows this weapon intimately, it might be a good idea to get him to this school for the qual.

But no that was not to happen. Because most cops are not prior military. And many of them don't care what you did before, your just a "boot" again with seemingly no experience and nothing to bring to the table if you haven't been LE before.

What a bunch of douches