• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sniper scope

kjj419

Private
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2022
Minnesota
Hello, I work for a police department and we are in the process of setting up an SRT (Special Response Team) and my position on the team will be as sniper. I will be attending a sniper school in the future as well. My rifle is a Savage model 10 .308 caliber and I am looking for recommendations on glass. I want a magnification range of 3-4 power on the low end and at least 15 power on the high end along with an illuminated reticle. Would prefer 50mm objective lens for larger light column. Some scopes I am considering are the Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50, Nightforce SHV 4-14x50, and the Vortex Viper PST Gen II 3-15x44. Price is also a factor as the Vortex is the cheapest of the three. If anyone has any thoughts or recommendations it is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Of what you listed NF NXS. Don’t rule out Burris XTRII as well. But still prefer the NF

I wouldn’t put a vortex viper pst on any rifle in a case like this

I second the SFP as well. Especially low light if your illumination quits. Most LE shots are close enough to not worry about ffp needs

Reactions: st1650 and kjj419
Look in the PX here as well. You can find some good deals. My neighbor does the exact same thing you are doing. He loves my gen 2 razor but ultimately went with a Mark 5 3-18 with illumination because of weight. He’s been super happy with it and the team is looking to adopt it. Nightforce would be an amazing option as well. It covers SFP and illumination without a huge price increase.

Ask around the LE community, not only about glass, but special pricing for LE.

Some departments have old gear laying around they may donate to a starting SRT. Highway Patrol, big cities, etc. Worth asking, I was once in a simular situation and got some donations.

I strongly sugest you talk to the instructor and either use what you have for now or arrange a loaner rifle, as instructors often have a few laying around. Then get a good grip on what your theater of opperations will be.

No reason to set up for 300 yards if across the street is the reality.

Also, make sure it has a comfortable eye box and good field of view. You could end up spending hours behind it observing.

Personally, I would not trust a PST to be rugged enough for duty, the Razor yes, but not the PST.

Bushnell XTR II is good bang for the buck.

Reactions: AleksanderSuave
Hello, I work for a police department and we are in the process of setting up an SRT (Special Response Team) and my position on the team will be as sniper. I will be attending a sniper school in the future as well. My rifle is a Savage model 10 .308 caliber and I am looking for recommendations on glass. I want a magnification range of 3-4 power on the low end and at least 15 power on the high end along with an illuminated reticle. Would prefer 50mm objective lens for larger light column. Some scopes I am considering are the Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50, Nightforce SHV 4-14x50, and the Vortex Viper PST Gen II 3-15x44. Price is also a factor as the Vortex is the cheapest of the three. If anyone has any thoughts or recommendations it is greatly appreciated. Thanks
My Bull Shit meter just maxed out!

We're running the Made in USA Burris XTR III 3.3-18x50's at only $999.99. Certainly worth a look
The 3.3-18x50 model provides huge field-of-view in a relatively compact scope package (13.3 inches). The 3.3-18x50 model offers a huge 120 MOA of elevation.
The XTR III line of riflescopes features elite competition reticle designs, enhanced field-of-view, and accessories built to make you a more efficient shooter. Inspired by tactical and competition shooting, precision and reliability are at the core of the XTR III line of optics.

Available in 3.3-18x50mm and 5.5-30x56mm, both models are built with a 34mm body tube for increased strength and extended adjustment range. Elevation adjustments up to 120 MOA on the 3.3-18X50mm will take the 6.5 Creedmoor past one mile. Expanded side parallax adjustment on both models allows fine-tuning focus at shorter distances.

Premium glass and optical designs, including a smaller eyepiece signature and larger eye box, provide best-in-class field-of-view, deeper depth of focus, and outstanding light transmission. All reticle options now include selectable green and red illumination with 11 brightness levels allowing shooters to confidently engage targets in low light and shadows. The Special Competition Reticle (SCR) 2 features a gridded “Christmas tree” design, allowing extremely fast and accurate windage and elevation compensation and clear communication with spotters. The SCR MOA reticle is also available on both models for those seeking a single post design with MOA subtenstions.

If you are LEO, please send a PM to Lowlight with proof of LEO employment (something with your name on department letterhead should suffice IIRC), so that we can get you access to the private LEO/Military sub-forum. There's a plethora of information there, from SRT and military snipers that can help in your questions. And that area deals specifically with information for the LEO/military community.

My Bull Shit meter just maxed out!

Before everyone begins to dogpile, we may want to let this play out. The OP may be from a rural or small PD, which would explain his choice in firearm and training.

As stated above, If you know who is running the school you will be attending, find out what minimum requirements they have. We require Mil/Mil and recommend FFP.

^^ Curious.... Why would being from a rural or small PD explain the choice in firearm?

Just don't ever see a savage being a sound choice for a tactical situation.

^^ Curious.... Why would being from a rural or small PD explain the choice in firearm?

What @MarinePMI said mirrors our small town LE here as well. Most of the time it’s guys who volunteered for that spot. The Dept doesn’t necessarily need it. So they end up using their own weapon or the Dept gives them a very limited budget and a basic class to get certified

Sometimes it’s guys who join an ERT team and just want the title of “sniper” or a role that the team wants for that just in case scenario

Could just be a long range asset in an active shooter or ambush situation where you have the capability to reach out a ways and want certification for your officer should he be needed

Even the ERT team we had was just normal everyday deputies who were sent to swat school and made up a team that would get called in if needed. More serious or drawn out situations where time permits went to state police who had a full time ERT. But it usually took a minimum of 4-6 hours for them to get to our rural part of the state. Thus the need for the Dept to have an immediately available unit if needed.

Chances are the OP is small town Dept, developing a team for “just in case” scenarios. He volunteered for the sniper role. Likely because he wants the title. As anyone who is on Dept with full time ERT and sniper positions would likely not run a savage and likely have a predetermined rifle/optic/ammo you’d be issued to use.

Small town guys generally get to select whatever they want and get it approved. Most of that due to the fact that this position is likely not taken seriously by the Dept

Buddy of mine went through same thing. Small town, basic sniper class, for just in case scenario, wanted to do it, ran a savage, the savage crapped out, he qualified with another officers rifle. Has since lost interest in the role and has not been utilized as he thought he’d be

Obviously this is just my assumption

In 2011 when I joined a department in the middle of Missouri the swat sniper was using a Colt A2 Carbine (LW Barrel) with a Leupold LVPO (duplex reticle) mounted in a Bsquare on top the carry handle. They would have killed to have a Savage Model 10 in 308.

As stated above, If you know who is running the school you will be attending, find out what minimum requirements they have. We require Mil/Mil and recommend FFP.
Not to stray too far. But why on earth would you "require" mil/mil?
Recommending FFP is another question.

My old work tested Rifles and one of the guys on the team said for out of the box rifles the Savage was impressive with no massaging necessary.

Personally not my cup of Tea and I think "price point" is a Savage company goal more so than other manufacturers concerns but apparently they meet their goal and do get performance.

The question than may be will it shit the bed at the worst of times.

Reactions: Gohring65
My local PD is using a primitive Leupold 3-9 scope with a remington 700 police.
Both pretty old.
I was shocked to see it. No funding and they’re not allowed to change anything without approval. It’s truly a 2 moa set up.

My old work tested Rifles and one of the guys on the team said for out of the box rifles the Savage was impressive with no massaging necessary.

Personally not my cup of Tea and I think "price point" is a Savage company goal more so than other manufacturers concerns but apparently they meet their goal and do get performance.

The question than may be will it shit the bed at the worst of times.
I would think, if that were a problem, we would have heard about it in the last 40 years savage has had LE geared rifles.
Their McMillan stocked rifle was actually pretty nice.
I completed the 48 hour FBI instructed sniper class shooting a savage 10PC. it was a bit lite for shooting that many rounds in a day, but I never had a mechanical issue.

Reactions: jMarine
I would think, if that were a problem, we would have heard about it in the last 40 years savage has had LE geared rifles.
I completed the 48 hour FBI instructed sniper class shooting a savage 10PC. it was a bit lite for shooting that many rounds in a day, but I never had a mechanical issue.

Only thing I had ever heard was extractors.

and from the ones I have seen maybe finishes metals are prone to needing a little more TLC.

but they shoot.

Reactions: stefan73
Both pretty old.
I was shocked to see it. No funding and they’re not allowed to change anything without approval. It’s truly a 2 moa set up.

It will do at authorized ranges....

fetch

fetch

Most issues I’ve seen were extractors as well. Fixed with the 9/64” detent ball. I’ve seen trigger issues as well but those are usually usually out of the box and usually due to them being set on the low end

I have seen multiple savage barrels throw the first round. 338 LM was 1 moa low then grouped well. A 308 was 3/4” up and left then grouped very well.

The savage my buddy took to his class had a short throat on it. He went to eject a 168 FGMM and the bullet stayed in the lands and powder littered the action

They in general are decent tho. My 110 FCP HS that I sold to a friend was a very accurate and reliable gun. With one of the smoothest savage actions I’ve seen

Obviously not all Dept can afford AI, FN PBR/SPR or Tac Ops. Many look at it as something they’ll likely never need and treat the budget for that item accordingly

Their setup looks similar, but I believe it was a synthetic stock, or painted black.

700P has a synthetic stock, varmint barrel, park finish. Basically a 700 varmint with service finish/stock.

The USMC guns were basically a 700 Varmint in .308 as opposed to 22-250 or other 'varmint" sporting calibers. USMC tweaked their stocks a little no checkering and a bump of wood at the safety guessing they thought for protection from bumping the safety off.

I zero that gun with a 2 mil hold under and by dialing down to 4.5 I have enough mil dots to hit 1000

tSdLhAJl.jpg

Reactions: Gohring65
Not to stray too far. But why on earth would you "require" mil/mil?
Recommending FFP is another question.
Moa/moa is fine too. Just trying to cut back on guys showing up with Mk4 Mil reticle/moa turrets. No need to make it more difficult than needed.

We meaning your department or We meaning a school you're associated with?

If referring to a school you're associated with, is your target audience military or L.E.?

We meaning your department or We meaning a school you're associated with?

If referring to a school you're associated with, is your target audience military or L.E.?
When my department runs a school, we open up several spots to Local, State and Federal LE to attend. Some departments send their students with "school guns". They are not the guns or optics they will be utilizing after the school and all it does is slow down the learning process for all involved to teach them how to utilize the older equipment. We have not turned anyone away from the school due to what they bring. Its more of a preference on our end to streamline the learning process.

Last edited:
I knew this sounded familiar in a creepy sort of way. Ten years ago was this.... Deja 'vu. Coincidentally ( or not, maybe ) also "from" Minnesota.
This Shit Right Here.
On Edit: Both born on April 9th. ROFLMAO. Pinocchio!!!!! Your nose is gonna fall off...... It does get boring up here in the winter time, so I guess every ten years he makes something up.

Last edited:
Even Mayberry provided Barney's equipment including one bullet!

Both pretty old.
Those old PSS rifles love some Hornady TAP 168 BTHP ammo. It should be shooting at least MOA or better...Definitely could use a scope upgrade, but the rifle itself should be more than sufficient for any urban setting where 200-300 yards max will be their furthest average shot.