• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Training Courses Sniper's Hide 3-Day Precision, Mifflin Co. Sportsmen's Assn., PA - Sept. 26-28, 2023

I will get either the one from Midway or something similar.
Midway mat...hard to beat them. Good price and well made. I bought this one and I'm quite happy with it.

Its the Pro Series Gen 2...it was $99 and its discontinued.

They still sell the Pro Series and its on sale right now for $47.99 (hell of a deal) and looks pretty much identical. I believe that the only difference was the thickness of the material and maybe padding. In any case. the Pro Series for that price is a good bet in my book

Cheers

As for the mat, could not tell until it came in today that it did not have the strap so back it goes.
Another good option for a shooting mat. This rolls up compact. I used it for this class last year.

Reactions: saberwalk
Midway mat...hard to beat them. Good price and well made. I bought this one and I'm quite happy with it.

Its the Pro Series Gen 2...it was $99 and its discontinued.

They still sell the Pro Series and its on sale right now for $47.99 (hell of a deal) and looks pretty much identical. I believe that the only difference was the thickness of the material and maybe padding. In any case. the Pro Series for that price is a good bet in my book

Cheers
Thanks. Noticed the price as well and just bought one.

• Love
Reactions: Baron23
So, have used the course information to buy out a list of gear that I want to bring for the class but also will be using and getting up to speed on over the next few months. Would appreciate any thoughts or comments on choices. For the class room instruction:

For the range:
  • Rifle--I will have a Tikka TAC A1 with the only modification being an MDT SRS buttstock. Has a Vortex Gen 2 4.5x27. As the Tikka has a 0 MOA rail, the scope is mounted on a Badger Ordnance 20 MOA 1.54" Mount. I appear to have sufficient clearance for scope and caps.
  • Muzzle Brake: Have several but will likely go with the Insite Heathen unless there is an extra TBAC silencer, in which case I could install the 30CB brake.
  • Bipod--Atlas PSR BT 46 with ADM adapter and Hawk Hill Custom Talon feet. Do I need the leg extensions?
  • Ammunition - 160-200 rounds for the course. Going with Norma Golden Target 143 gr 6.5 CM. I paid 21.80 per box from Texas Ammunition. It compared favorably in terms of grouping and consistency last weekend to Federal Premium Gold Medal 140 Grain Sierra Match King and Nosler Match Grade 140 Grain Custom Competition, which edged it out slightly. Groups were tighter (.5 MOA or less) at 100 yds (indoor) and more consistent from my observation than the Hornady Match 140 Grain ELD Match; Winchester USA Ready 140 Grain Open Tip, and Sellier & Bellot 140 Grain. Not ready to load my own so if there is different factory type ammo I should be looking at, please let me know.
  • "Have it broken up so it is not being lugged around. TWO or more magazines recommended." Have five magazines but would appreciate advice on storage for the rest. Was just going to bring factory boxes, as I typically do but should I bring plastic ammo case, sammo cards, or something like the TAB ammo binder or the X-Ring B.A.D.M.F?
  • "Shooting pad - with forward straps for bipod." Went with the TAB Pollock.
  • Rear bag--Assuming USPS does not mess it up will have an Answer and Compromise
  • Tripod--Will I need one? If so, any recommendations?
  • "Data Book, with writing instrument. Can just be a note pad"--see questions about Rite in Rain above.
  • Weather Meter--Have the Kestrel 5700 Elite with Applied Ballistic an Link
  • Range Bag holding all of the day’s shooting essentials--Went with Eberlestock G3 Phantom. I cannot tell you how may of these friggin range and rifle bags I have, and still don't have one I absolutely like. Almost as bad as Kydex holsters.
  • SCOPE TOOLS--have both Borka and Fix-it kits
Feel free to laugh at me, I am.
  1. Show up with an open mind.
  2. No one cares about your rifle and ammunition. If you know how your stick, optics and cartridge perform at various distances, you are going to do well.
  3. I would bring between 200-250 rounds of ammo you know works accurately in your stick and that you have DOPE for. Don't bring multiple types.
  4. Read everything to do with Weaponized Math on this site and commit it to memory. Ask questions if you don't understand it.
  5. You don't need to worry about humping a shit ton of equipment. Pack it all in whatever you want. Your car will be a few steps from where we shoot.
  6. Make sure your bipod has long legs as this range is uphill. I would bring a a couple of hunks of 2x10 to put under the bipod legs.
  7. You should have spare everything. You seem to have all the tools but you also need spare screws and any other thing to do with your stick and optic mount. Sometimes a screw gets stripped when you have to get your scope checked. Ask me how I know
  8. Bring a notepad and pens
  9. You don't need a tripod. We have many to share
  10. You can bring a Kestrel if you have one but you don't need to buy one as many of us have them.
  11. Cooler so you can buy lunch, drinks and ice. There is nothing around the place for food and we usually get that prepped the night before. Otherwise no lunch for you if that is important to you.
  12. Leave your liver at home

Last edited:
  • Love
  1. Show up with an open mind.
  2. No one cares about your rifle and ammunition. If you know how your stick, optics and cartridge perform at various distances, you are going to do well.
  3. I would bring between 200-250 rounds of ammo you know works accurately in your stick and that you have DOPE for. Don't bring multiple types.
  4. Read everything to do with Weaponized Math on this site and commit it to memory. Ask questions if you don't understand it.
  5. You don't need to worry about humping a shit ton of equipment. Pack it all in whatever you want. Your car will be a few steps from where we shoot.
  6. Make sure your bipod has long legs as this range is uphill. I would bring a a couple of hunks of 2x10 to put under the bipod legs.
  7. You should have spare everything. You seem to have all the tools but you also need spare screws and any other thing to do with your stick and optic mount. Sometimes a screw gets stripped when you have to get your scope checked. Ask me how I know
  8. Bring a notepad and pens
  9. You don't need a tripod. We have many to share
  10. You can bring a Kestrel if you have one but you don't need to buy one as many of us have them.
  11. Cooler so you can buy lunch, drinks and ice. There is nothing around the place for food and we usually get that prepped the night before. Otherwise no lunch for you if that is important to you.
  12. Leave your liver at home
Thanks, especially for 7 and 11.

Reactions: Nik H
It worked great for the guys who brought one and its my plan to make one or two for this year's clinic.

@CMP70306 - looks like 2 x 10, 2 x 8, 2 x 6, and 2 x 4 stacked up with a piece of 1 by on the top. Right?
That would be the cleanest way but I had a bunch of left over Trex decking from building a dock so I just staggered them, braced the back and put a lip on the top.

0C6C3530-357E-4B97-92A2-2B1DFBD0B29D.jpeg

I actually found a really end and hotel on the other side of the highway and I may actually stay there. Apparently they actually have really good food too…

Last edited:
That’s what I’m thinking… while it may not be unbelievably unbelievable… I doubt it sucks. (I’ve stayed at some crazy places… buuut… why not.)

That’s what I’m thinking… while it may not be unbelievably unbelievable… I doubt it sucks. (I’ve stayed at some crazy places… buuut… why not.)
Their normal prices are a bit much for that area. I'm staying there with my wife and son when we visit Penn State. She got us a deal so it is only ~$250 per night for a large King room. I'll let you know what I think as we are eating there on one night as well. Restaurant is averaging $40 for an entree and $15-25 for an appetizer. Cocktails are are also NYC prices. I would estimate my cost would be $150 per night for food and drink. No way I would spend that for myself.

Also seems a bit too "polished" for a bunch of guys that spent the day shooting. There is a dress code for dinner. I'm sure there is an expletive code as well. My wife said they are a bit uppity.

I would love to see their faces when you bring in the rifles as well

Last edited:
Marc:

Just sent a you a message. Count me in if there are slots still free. Nick alerted me to the posting for the class at the range yesterday.

Just a heads up for any of you that are planning or thinking about attending the class here is the mifflin schedule of event that are open to the public thru out the year

Reactions: 03machstock
I actually found a really end and hotel on the other side of the highway and I may actually stay there. Apparently they actually have really good food too…
Knock yourself out, brother. Maybe just leave the rifle at home and bring your golf clubs, while you're at it? haha

I actually found a really end and hotel
??????????

hahaha....and stop talking to your phone to enter txt LOL

Is there a minimum age to attend the class?

I’m not in a position to attend this year but planning to attend next year if it’s offered again. By that time my son will be 16.

Is there a minimum age to attend the class?

I’m not in a position to attend this year but planning to attend next year if it’s offered again. By that time my son will be 16.
Minimum age of 18, sorry. The student must be responsible and accountable for his/her own actions and be old enough to own the rifle he/she trains with.

@Lowlight @Enough Said

…At the last course you mentioned that you thought a few of the Remington 700 action clones were great choices for building a decent clone.

Which of the actions out there would you consider using that allow for easy barrel replacement, and excellent qualit?

@Lowlight @Enough Said

…At the last course you mentioned that you thought a few of the Remington 700 action clones were great choices for building a decent clone.

Which of the actions out there would you consider using that allow for easy barrel replacement, and excellent qualit?
Defiance.

😆

I like the cheaper stuff

The Mack Bro,
Bighorn origin

If you get a 2 lug action why spend over $1k or at the worse 1200

The ARC new $899 stuff like that
Thanks man… I found a crucible steel barrel… And it may be time to play… Maybe divest myself of the various Scandinavian weapons I have… go ‘Mercian.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lowlight
Thanks man… I found a crucible iron barrel… And it may be time to play… Maybe divest myself of the various Scandinavian weapons I have… go ‘Mercian.
I actually saw an Origin this weekend and I was pretty impressed. I would give that a look

I spoke with the folks at Seekins, and it turns out the havoc is not a Remington 700 compatible action…. So you can’t use it in any chassis system aside from their own.

That’s unfortunate given how cool the features are….

Hard to imagine you won’t shoot lights out with anything - as long as you have the right dope!

Friggin dope!!!! ;)

Hard to imagine an ex-USAF guy being to hit anything without a laser designator and a JDAM! Bahaahahaha

Especially so for @Baron23!!!:ROFLMAO:
Haha….bogey dope is the key to a successful engagement.

But, I think we are hijacking this training clinic thread a bit. Yeah?

If you hover over Steve he is ok, when he misses it’s fun because it’s blatant and still he never sees it. 😜

why‘d that happen, cuz you did it, no I didn’t, yes you did I saw you, what did I do, you did this, ya I might have done that, but I shouldn’t have missed it wasn’t that bad, no it was pretty obvious, well that’s why I come to class 🤪

If you hover over Steve he is ok, when he misses it’s fun because it’s blatant and still he never sees it. 😜

why‘d that happen, cuz you did it, no I didn’t, yes you did I saw you, what did I do, you did this, ya I might have done that, but I shouldn’t have missed it wasn’t that bad, no it was pretty obvious, well that’s why I come to class 🤪
But the real question is "why"....the question is always "why"! haha Why is the sky blue, why does the sun rise in the east, why do the ducks fly south in the winter, and why did I shoot over that 600 yard target with the same dope you used...with my rifle...to center punch it, etc ad nauseum! haha

5154339.jpg

We are currently busy as hell here in Alaska. Had 26 students in June and finishing up Friday at 44 students for July.
Wish we could expand Mifflin but they only allow us to operate mid-week there.

Currently sitting at “The Flying Squirrel” bakery near Talkeetna, AK, stealing WiFi with Frank. Getting caught up.

Still have about 4 seats open in Nebraska if anyone wants a 3-Day to 1240 yards up a canyon. The “Alternates’ List” at Mifflin now includes Shep from last year.

Moving out of AK later this year, back to MS. That will open me up to more travel down in the lower 48, so maybe some new venues coming in ‘24. We’ll see.

Frank says Hello! @Lowlight

Attachments

• 956DA08A-BDDB-4B46-8824-DD04419DE906.jpeg
    956DA08A-BDDB-4B46-8824-DD04419DE906.jpeg
    398.5 KB · Views: 28
I spoke with the folks at Seekins, and it turns out the havoc is not a Remington 700 compatible action…. So you can’t use it in any chassis system aside from their own.

That’s unfortunate given how cool the features are….
Having dipped into this thread again from @Enough Said kicking it up with a new post, I reread some of it and came across this. Ok, not a clinic related post but….the above needs a bit of clarification.

By the by, @GB and I are very good friends and have chatted about this some time ago.

The Seekin Havak action is indeed a 700 clone and I have one in a JAE chassis (and after running it a bit to smooth out, it’s worked very well for me though it seems to like it’s bolt to be run w a bit of authority).

The Seekins HIT action is the one that’s not a 700 clone.

Havak-Hit. Hit-Havak. Uma-Oprah. Oprah-Uma. It’s all
sooo confusing. lol

Last edited:
Then I already have a spare mount for you, just find a spare can because only one of mine is 419 converted.

@GBMaryland you got another can with Area 419 interface?
I appreciate it but I will likely stick with my brake since it also has a tuner that will be set. It will at least clean off the concrete