• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Snow Blower? need to get one

powdahound76

Old tired dad
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2011
Denver CO
I figured I would ask here, as we have a some pretty smart guys. I have been doing some reading on the web as well just looking for thoughts of those who have experience.

Need a snowblower to clear a long driveway. Drive has nowhere to throw snow except down the driveway towards the street so need a lot of throw and power. Near the end of the drive I can throw to the side into the front yard. Drive is mostly 1 car wide, opens up the last 1/3 before the garage as its a 2 car.
Will also use for the 92 year old neighbor's walk (he doesn't have a driveway).

We get a lot of wetter snows (Denver) and some dry. Vary in depth from 2-3" to 12+", rarely over 15, though they are calling for a doozy this year.

Would love either an electric start or easy pull start, in case momma has to do it when I am not available.

Please tell me about best brands, best size motor, engines, etc...

Saw a nice new Husqvarna on CL that I liked the looks of. Prefer to follow the rule of buy once, celebrate an awesome new tool that will last. No crying about buying quality
Here is the Husky

https://denver.craigslist.org/snw/d/husqvarna-snow-blower-2018/6694324533.html

^^^All what Sean said. Ariens is made nearby in Brillion WI I have a 8 hp model I purchased new in 1988 and it is still running like a top, ready to blast snow drifts which will be here shortly. My neighbor owns the company so I am a bit biased.

thanks Sean.

I will get chains. Also that Husky has an add-on drift cutter and a chute add-on to improve throw control.
Also looking at Ariens, Cub Cadet, , Craftsman, and MDT.
There may be times momma has to use this when I am not available to electric start is a must, as is easy to use power steering.

https://www.snowblowerguides.com

Using this site as a guide.

Ariens. Mine has been bomber through some big winters a few hrs west of you. Get a tracked model if there’s any gradient to your driveway.

Remember: drain the gas out of it in the spring and run it dry. Even the premium “ethanol free” gas (if you can find it) will rot your lines and such. Gas ain’t what it used to be.

Get some spare shear pins if your blower doesn’t come with a few. Otherwise, if you get a wet storm you might have a bummer of a time half way through a job.

Depends on budget really. Honda would be the top of my list but you pay to play, just like anything else. I've got a very gently used 2 year old HSS928A I need to sell having just relocated to western WA and won't be needing it any longer.

I had a Husky similar to the one you cited above. Husky makes a solid motor. Drain your fuel completely once you’re done w/ it for the season. Get lots of extra shear pins. Hell, buy 25 for the first season & re-evaluate afterwards. You shouldn’t need that many, but on the same token you can’t have too many. Electric start is a good idea, heated grips, a headlight is another badass option. Do NOT get a chute that adjusts w/ the joystick type control. *What a piece of shit that thing is.* Get the old school crank to turn your chute & it will ALWAYS work. At $130 per joystick unit I quit after 2. I had to adjust the chute by hand the last few years. Self-propelled w/ chains is another great idea. Mine had a 6 speed transmission, but if you’re throwing lots of heavy ass wet snow your probably going to need a plow truck. I lived in N Maine & at times (2-3+ ft wet snow) I’d call the plow guy because it’s not worth the effort to push super wet & heavy snow. The machine gets bogged down w/ the wet stuff. Get yourself a good set of mittens for pushing snow.

If it were me & you can swing it, I’d buy a plow for a pickup truck.

980618abacb62354b166c87c2c26112bd009d70e6e2eba72645937fdf91cb97f.jpg

R

Ariens two stage with electric start. Chains for the tires can also help but not necessary. I had my dads machine which he bought in late seventies. Sold in in 1998 when I moved to CA. Still ran like a top.

When I moved back to New England in 2012, I bought a new one. Can't say enough good about them

I love my Ariens deluxe 28, 12.5hp. It has taken on 15" snow and barely seems to work hard at it. I think I paid about $1k for it about 4-5 years ago. Tire chains are a must IMO. It handles the Michigan snow superbly. I use the electric start the first time out for the year (lines and tank ran dry before storage). During the snow season, I rarely have to pull on it more than once to start it.

Reactions: fx77
Bigger is almost always better. Most of those allow you to plug into 110 with electric start. Get some spare shear pins for when you run over a newspaper. Throwing snow ahead of you sounds like a lot of work. Keep plenty of fresh gas on hand. I picked up a used 30" Husqvarna, which replaced my 26" tracked blower. Bigger capacity makes a difference. The rooster tails are pretty cool.

Is that Husky the 230p? Thats the 30” I was looking at. Found a heck if a deal on a used one.
I have to throw in front for a ways, then to the side. Sucks but should be better than hand carrying all the snow in a shovel up there by hand......
Thats the other reason I want a large one that has a lot of power.

This is something I need to think about.

My driveway is perimetered by 4-5 foot walls on two sides and at the front of the house in order to keep the snow on my property I need a blower that can throw 6 feet with the blower running parallel right next to the wall.

What will "zero clearance" toss snow straight up and to the right?

I have a Troy-Built 2410! Wouldn’t be the one I’d buy but was a gift. Haven’t had a problem with it yet. I’ve had it for 3 years.

This is something I need to think about.

My driveway is perimetered by 4-5 foot walls on two sides and at the front of the house in order to keep the snow on my property I need a blower that can throw 6 feet with the blower running parallel right next to the wall.

What will "zero clearance" toss snow straight up and to the right?

The "right snow" can rooster up from the sidewalk and across the street to the opposite curb. If it's a dry powder or 2" deep, you get 1/3rd the travel.
My parking pad was 30' wide and if it couldn't get most of it to the perimeter grass, going over that 5' wasn't a lot of fun.

My next door neighbor had an Ariens I remember him buying when I was in grade school. Im 50 now and didnt have learning issues that kept me a 6th grader into my 20s so thats how old his machine was.

Him no longer able to run the snow blower the last 8 years or so I would do his driveway, my driveway and if I was feeling charitable Id break the windrow of my neighbors across the street despite the Clinton 16 stickers on their cars.

It was a beautiful machine in its day, everything made of cast iron, but being so old the impeller blades were worn. It was more of a snow puker than a snow blower. I was considering adding the rubber blade mods to bring it back to life.

Anyway my neighbor moved. Offered to give me the blower but its at the end of its life.

The biggest concern for me is figuring where to store the beast with my single car garage loaded with motorcycles and kids shit.

Ariens makes nice stuff but Id avoid buying from the big box stores that force them to meet a price point, buy from an Ariens dealer.

That said...

When I worked construction I did realize that small equipment powered by Honda could be depended on.

Back in the day when I lived in an area where I needed/used one I went with an electric start. Nothing worse than getting up at o-dark 30 and trying to plow out snow with a blower you can't get started no matter how many times you pull the cord and set the choke. Went through that one winter, the next winter had an electric start and no more issues. Now I live in southern Arizona where I have to drive hours if I want to see snow.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
Ariens is definitely king . When I bought my 11.5hp monster I researched like a madman . Went to several equipment dealers and small engine repair places and Airens had the strongests recommendations . I haven't seen the tracked snow blowers in a while and don't be tempted . Some of the property management guys I had also talked to said the tracks clog and you'll spend more time clearing them than using it . Heated handles are a must . I had them and always used them . One day I thought quit bein a pussy and turn em off . Instant burning cold . Even with good gloves . When you grip firmly you decrease circulation in your hands so the heated handles are a must . As for power , we had a particularly heavy snow and I had 5ft mounds 9n either side of the driveway . Just to see what would happen I Drove it thru one. Didn't hiccup at all . And yeah electric start , drain the fuel and spare pins . You will not regret it .

Ariens and Honda are both top shelf.
I have a Honda 8hp on tracks. Totally kicks ass and is overkill for under 4" of snow. For the light snows I have 4 hp single stage Honda. Better to have more power than not enough. One thing to keep in mind is who ill be running the machine. The big snow blowers are a handful and do require some upper body strength. I bought the single stage for the times that I am not home and my wife needs to clear the driveway and sidewalks. One more thing, spend the money and buy the good "Ethanol free" fuel form your equipment shop!
I am in Northern Colorado.

Newer Ariens work well. Avoid the older models with the Tecumseh engine as Tecumseh has been out of business for years. Honda is better but not 2x better. The heated grips are nice. And no matter which way your blowing the snow the wind will be blowing it back at you. ?

Reactions: Foul Mike
Another vote for Ariens, the "King of Snow". I have a 28" Deluxe SHO (Super High Output) with an AXO OHV 11hp motor. Really kicks ass. I have never wished for chains but all my area is flat. Heated grips. Electric start which I use once a year just to make sure it still works. I bought this after doing quite a bit of research. There's a guy that pretty much just does snow blower reviews somewhere; he loves this machine. His website is HERE.

Ariens is about the best. Ariens w/ a Honda motor would be hands down the best.

I have an older Husky 28" blower with a 13HP Honda GX390 I rigged on it. Put some old hunks of tire sidewall on the impeller stage, and with the bigger pullies required by the 1" shaft of the 13HP engine, it'll shoot snow about 35 yards in the right conditions.

Personally, I have a plow on my truck, so the snowblower doesn't get used for much besides sidewalks, but when we got hit with 7' of snow back in 2014, the blower dug the truck out... and the trucks a Power Wagon on 36" tires. We had 40" of snow by the time I started digging out and it just kept coming. By the time I got halfway down the drive, there was 60", and it was slow going... Had to shovel the snow down and then use the blower to throw it over. Shovel 3 feet into a manageable pile, snowblow, repeat. Woof!

Newer Ariens work well. Avoid the older models with the Tecumseh engine as Tecumseh has been out of business for years. Honda is better but not 2x better. The heated grips are nice. And no matter which way your blowing the snow the wind will be blowing it back at you. ?

The older Tecumseh engines will run forever if you keep oil in them. Parts are still plentiful as well and you can actually work on them. The newer Aluminum engines are throwaways but they work well no doubt.

Simplicity still makes good blowers too-right up there with Ariens. Toro also good.

I live in Virginia--yes we get snow. Not as often or as much, generally, as some of ya'll. Retired with back/neck issues now. Bought an Ariens from my small engine dealer/friend couple years ago. I have used it 6-7 times at least. Last year we got 15 inches of frozen sunshine mid December. It handled that with no problems. No issues at all. I drain there fuel after using it. It is a 24 inch Deluxe model and has both electric and pull start. It has always started with one pull--pretty impressive.

All this talk about snowblowers is 'cute'. Yeah, we have a few of them, and right now we're living in Southern Manitoba.

I used to live in Northern B.C; and on the lee-side of the Rocky Mountains. So we got dumped on by every cloud going by, that had a minute amount of moisture. (that's what a cloud is, but we'll leave it at that for the moment)

Snow there was INSANE. The nearby ski-hill is called Powder King for a reason. Our town though, Mackenzie, got a near-record of 15' 8 3/4" in the 97-98 season. When I lived there, it was logical, prudent, and simply realistic to purchase a 'contract' with the local snow-clearing companies. (many went bankrupt that year, unfortunately) My friend had a business, where he had a hydraulic PTO on his Bobcat and replaced the bucket with a full-width dual-auger two stage snowblower.

Believe me when I tell you that that thing could launch the snow EASILY 50'. When he first got it, he had to adjust the chute 'down' a lot, because it was throwing the snow clear out of my yard, and onto the far end of the next yard over. Neither of us could imagine it working so well. Be sure to pick up extension cords AND rubber door-mats beforehand, because that machine will eat them and launch them and not bust a shear-pin. Maybe if you fed it a compact car or something.... :D

The snow was so deep that year, that houses were NOT visible from the streets. All it was, was a wall/canyon of snow with branches cut going up each driveway. Whenever I finished shoveling off my roof, I would simply step off the eave onto the snow-pile. A ladder was not needed to get there, or to come back down. When dealing with deep snow, remember these two important facts for home-owners:

Keep the furnace combustion air intake clear of snow, so that your furnace can breathe. Very important!
Keep your Natural Gas meter clear of snow, so that it can both vent AND breathe. There is a diaphragm regulator inside that needs to be vented.

So yeah, enjoy the snow. Enjoy the snow-clearing. And just know that no matter how bad/deep/cold/dismal you may think it is.... it truly CAN be much worse. So very much worse.

One project that I'm looking at doing next summer, is mounting one of our snowblowers onto the front of a (spare?) lawn tractor that was given to us. This way I can help My Lady with the task. When one hand is always on a cane, believe me when I say that shoveling "one handed" is fraught with frustration, madness, and aggravation. But I can drive a tractor! :D

Merry Christmas

I have about 300' of driveway and a 32" Husqvarna . It's a 30 minute chore. I also bought a Kawasaki Mule Pro-FX, going to put a 72" blade on that. If you do yardwork and have 5+ acres, this makes chores so easy. From hauling concrete to firewood., or riding to the bowling pin shoot, you will burn fewer calories if you own one of these.

Having lived in Colorado close to where the OP is for 72 years I can say that the times I really needed a snowblower are a bit rare but when we are blessed with snow it can be a hassle and you want one.

You may go for several years that you don't need one at all, but then, Whoops, here it is, and you are in snow up to your ass. Carb full of Bumba clots and doesn't want to go because you haven't haven't kept up with starting it every year because you didn't need it.

The best snowblower I have owned is a Toro single stage 2 cycle 18 inch that screams like hell and moves lots of snow, just take your time doing it. It gets it done. Still own it and it takes a bit of ether starting fluid to make it pop. Easy to do. I wish they still made them, I would buy a new one. Alas, they don't, too much smoke in the air according to California Standard on cancer. The stupid fucks.

This year I bought an electric battery operated snow shovel. Non directional. straight out the front and I push it around as needed.

Snowblowers can be had in the Hound's area for pennies on the Dollar at garage, yard sales, then you get to take over the last owners problems for cheap. Bumba clots in the fuel control system etc.

All I have to do with this one is put the battery in and away I go. YMMV and I know we are not clearing the same types of area. FM

• Haha
Reactions: Sean the Nailer
got this one from this site
Great site by the way. Has not let me down

Last winter was the worst here with record snow falls and record low temps. It was my first year with a snow blower and I learned abut 16" of snow with an Ego 21" single stage. uses two 56 volt lithium ion batteries and I got the big batteries with 7.4 amp hours. 30' rooster tail of thrown snow, continuously variable speed and torque that made my neighbors with 2 stage monsters freak out.

I literally did the whole neighborhoods front walk and the entire alley in back of my house and my two next door neighbors trying to wear it out. Unbelievable. Several snows later my neighbor across the alley borrowed my Ego and then bought one.

Check them out.

VooDoo

• Haha
Reactions: 1911hombre
If you're a tinkerer try to find a mid '70s Gravely tractor with snow blower attachment. I think they have been absorbed into Ariens. Back in the early days they were a division of Studebaker out of Dunbar, WV. Finicky, but will work forever with care. Collect all of the other attachments as well.

However I'll assume you have already made the decision in the 15 months since you ask the question.

Thank you,
MrSmith

Managed multiple properties in the Sierra for a spell, hundreds of inches of wet, heavy snow a year. I wanted an Ariens real bad, but a Honda was available, and the guy at the shop said "trust me".

I pushed that Honda h-a-r-d, I mean no mercy whatsoever, mainly because I wanted to break it to have an excuse to buy the Ariens (always American made if I can help it)... Well, I have to admit, that Honda never needed more than a few shear pins for the auger, which were super easy to replace in the field. Thing got put away every spring with NO love, and six months later, every single year, started with one pull and purred like a kitten - all winter. YMMV.

Not bashing any brand, but if you drive around these parts, all you see are the red machines. Maybe ask around the professional property managers in your area and see what they use.

Last edited:
There once was a man from New York State who grew tired of the long winters. One day the man said fuck it and decided to move south out of the cold.
He took his trusty snow blower and tied it to the hood of his car. He thought I’ll drive south until no one knows what this pos is. He drove and drove until at a gas station outside of chapel hill, nc a man said hey what’s that on the hood of your car. The new Yorker thought I am home.

the man found a house and a job and was happy. He made friends. Played golf. Years went by. Until one day the New Yorker vanished again.

weeks later at golf one of the New Yorkers friends asked his golf buddies if they had seen the new Yorker lately . Someone responded yeah I seen him...... headed due west with a *igger strapped to the hood of the car.

Something that you will find is a good bit of snowblowers come from the same factory in Cleveland Ohio.
With that, I have a Troybilt that is 20 years old and it's moved a shit ton of snow.

I have gone through the entire machine from top to bottom twice, replaced bearings,belts and other minor stuff for less that $50 in parts.
I started using the plastic runners on the bucket as they seem to get a season and a half out of them.
The only thing that I did to improve it was I had a cutting edge for the bucket made from 1/4" hardened steel as it stiffens the bucket up quite a bit.
Replacement parts should play a part of your decision process.

Reactions: Foul Mike
You may go for several years that you don't need one at all, but then, Whoops, here it is, and you are in snow up to your ass. Carb full of Bumba clots and doesn't want to go because you haven't haven't kept up with starting it every year because you didn't need it.
My two stroke motors and even my 90s Explorer never see anything but non-ethanol gasoline, and I don't allow anyone else to fill the fuel jug to make sure it stays that way. My Honda lawn mower fires up second pull every year (one to prime it) wiht zero winterization efforts on my part. My snow blower is my back and a 30" nylon pusher shovel or a manure shovel for the deeper drifts, although I will eventually get one for my wife when I go back on the road and she has to clear the drifts herself.

For those who have a hard time finding pure gas, here's the page to help you: https://www.pure-gas.org/ Your engines will thank you.

It took a while for me but my local supply has good gasoline now and last couple of years.
For my 2 cycles, other than my boat motor, I use Trufuel or a product like that.
No Bumba clots in carbs. Ether is your friend.

This battery operated device is great. No string pull, just push the button and boogie.

Ariens is my recommendation. Make sure you get two-stage and electric start. Honestly, mine starts on the first pull, even when left outside in the cold. Heated grips are nice. I made the mistake of buying the biggest one they had on hand, which is 32" wide I think? I can barely get it in and out of my 36" basement door. It's a bear to handle when one wheel catches and the whole machine wants to twist to the side. Also trying to turn it takes some muscle. I wish I had bought a 28" model. I got mine on sale at Home Depot. Walked in, one cold March night to get some plumbing parts and prices. They had them lined up as you entered the building, so I'm eye-balling the things, and the Clerk walks over and asks if I want to buy one. Me being the smart-ass says only if they are 50% off, and I get the reply, well they are, and what doesn't sell this week will get shipped East because of the big snowstorm they got. So I leave the store with a new $750 Ariens. So far I've only broke one shear-bolt on the main stage, and somehow wore out the drive engagement belt, which I think wasn't adjusted correctly in the first place.

We had top of the line Honda units at work. Although nice, in my opinion they aren't nice enough to justify the price. They also have a tendency to want to climb up on top of the snow with the tracks, when you have varying densities of older snow.

I don't use the Ariens that much because my primary snow blower is made by Bobcat, and 72" wide.

Last edited:
if you don’t have room to push the snow with a atv or side by side then you have to throw it.

If your snow tends to be wetter and you have to throw it a good distance then, like HighDesertHLR, I think a wheeled Honda is a good choice. But the better models are pricey.

After years of dealing with 200 of driveway and lousy county plow drivers the will shove up a 3 foot berm on the driveway I ended up with a small 25 horse diesel tractor. I have a bucket to clear the hardened slush and crusty plow driver stuff and I found a used snow thrower to put on the pto.

The used tractor was about $ 5k and the blower was$2500.

I know that is a lot more then a great walk behind and if you don’t have berms from the dumbass county plow driver or slush that freezes up then a walk behind will work.

If you go that way there are some easy modifications you can make to improve the snow throwing ability. Look that up on you tube.

One last thing..... we can’t get real gas here in CA. So run it dry at the end of the season, put in canned gas and the run it dry. Then it starts the next season. And get electric start.

Best of luck sir.

Last edited: