• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Snow Ghillie

Re: Snow Ghillie's hunting camo fabrics

too dark for what I am going to use it for.

+1 on the Urban Camo, that was my suggestion too.

use Krylon H20 Latex spray paint, or an white oil based primer spray paint and lighten up the dark spots...or just bleach them...they will lighten up purdy good as long as you dont leave em in the bleach too long. To long and the cotton will get fragile.

Im just gonna use acu. It should be light enough.

Well, I boughtsome acu bdus and 5 yards of white nylon ripstop. Ill reinforce the bdus with it and use the rest for garnish. Then if I run out, ill get some other white stuff for garnish.

good luck shay, let us see the progress, wish i woulda shown my step by step pics
...I would be somewhat concerned with the amount of layers you can squeeze under the BDU's though when you are getting dressed for sub zero weather. Mine is based on an overwhite suit so i can wear my ECWCS under it.

I can fit quite a bit under mediums, so large should be okay... hopefully.

COME ON SHAY, lets see the suit already, I don't want to hijack your stuff

I just got everything in the mail. Im starting it soon. It will take a while!

IMHO

a pure white snow ghillie to be used in more open environments is paractically a waste of effort.

1. because the ghillie tends to "yellow" with time
2. in the open field, your tracks give you away anyhow and lead to the large white hump out in the field.

a snow ghillie (or partial snow ghillie) is better employed near forest edge, semi melted or wind blown areas, example:
snowgillie.jpg

better off with tan netting (the usual color of dormant grass and vegitation under the snow), put the tannish colored jute (or frayed twine) in patches and put balled polyfill (used for pillows)tied in throughout. even the flatter sheet type trimmed to irregular shapes with round edges gives a nice effect as shown above.

you can add or subtract the white material depending on the amount of snow, melted exposed areas, felled trees or deadfalls, exposed rock, etc.

most of the time you can just add the polyfill to an already existing suit. at least the big white hump in the middle of the field can more easily be taken for a clump of heavy vegetation with some exposed jute / frayed twine.

Here is the thing though, when we get snow, we get a couple feet. There is no melted spot while yotes are in season. White Nylon wont fade though, I dont think.

nice technique top predator. i've done the same thing on several occassions and like you said, it works out well for when you need to vary the amount of white. it creates a great natural effect and is much easier and more versatile then creating a dedicated snow ghillie.

shay, don't get me wrong, what you are doing will be effective for your purposes, plus i think it's cool that a guy your age is putting in that kind of effort to learn fieldcraft instead of vegging out in front of a tv or video game.

however, for those that are looking for a more simple solution, give the method shown above a chance. it works really well and can easily be removed from your ghillie for when spring arrives.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bo Beaver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In Michigan dogs are only out of season from 15 April-15 July. Shoot 'em up! Good luck and post us some pics when you decide which route you're taking.</div></div>
I hope I get one!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghillie Zen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nice technique top predator. i've done the same thing on several occassions and like you said, it works out well for when you need to vary the amount of white. it creates a great natural effect and is much easier and more versatile then creating a dedicated snow ghillie.

shay, don't get me wrong, what you are doing will be effective for your purposes, plus i think it's cool that a guy your age is putting in that kind of effort to learn fieldcraft instead of vegging out in front of a tv or video game.

however, for those that are looking for a more simple solution, give the method shown above a chance. it works really well and can easily be removed from your ghillie for when spring arrives.</div></div>

Yeah, tv and stuff like that doesnt really appeal to me. Too boring, unless its raining out and Top Sniper is on. lol

I started, I used a needle and thread for the nylon, but I think Im going to have mom show me how to use the sewing machine. lol

+1 on the sewing machine dude.
i went as far as to ask for one for chirstmas one year. knowing how to use it will serve you well throughout life. TOP PREDATOR... I love your suggestion and would agree that hiding along the tree line or finding a place where the veg sticks out of the snow would be an ideal plan. but we all know that soldiers dont really get to just wait around for the snow to melt a bit, and hunters (like myself and Shay) sometimes have to deal with 2-3 feet of snow with only 2-3 inches of grasses that might stick out. If i lived in a state that never got deep snow, i would DEF stick with your suggestion.
However, my snow ghillie was finished yesterday...and we are suppose to get 18" of snow by saturday. I will get some pics/videos up hopefully by the weekend. When I hunt, i often times have to try and hide in the wide open plains.

Well, no sewing machine for me. Mom doesnt want me to ruin it. Makes sense though. Needle and thread it is. I have half of one leg done, so good day so far.

big snow? forget the ghillie suit, get an entrenching tool, and make a "spider hole". grab a wooden dowel wtih a white "curtain" of material or netting to drape over the front.
even a blanket or white tarp could be used over a "foxhole in the snow" or even on top the surface as a tent like bivac shelter.

either case, your footprints are going to give you away (if your trying to hide from people).

even the coyotes will follow the footprints, as they know that an animal makes tracks (they don't know they are people prints), so they follow them go get a meal and making navigating through heavy snow easier.

unless you predict the next snow and plan on staying there until 3"-4" falls, the tracks in the snow is the achilles heel.

One pant leg is finished! Its gonna take a while, but its gonna be awesome once its done!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _Shay_</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, no sewing machine for me. Mom doesnt want me to ruin it. Makes sense though. Needle and thread it is. I have half of one leg done, so good day so far. </div></div>

must be a mom thing, lol. if you ever get to use it, look for ball point needles. thats what they use to sew ripstop nylon for kites and other things. it still pierces the fabric, but does not shred the fibers as it passes thru. unless you are sewing nylon to the heaviest canvas, you should have no issues with a sewing machine. also, look around your town. here there are a few sewing machine sales places that give free lessons or classes. see if you have the same in your area. also look into buying your own used machine, should be able to get a basic one cheap.

take a Home Ec class in high school if it is still offered. skip accounting or senior math and learn to use your hands. Wood Shop, Metal Shop, Home Ec to cook, or Home Ec to Sew. (not only that but there should be some hotties in Home Ec lol)
I have been out of HS for 10 years and have only come up with ONE single occasion where I needed basic algebra knowledge. Anything past Algebra is specialized enough that you wont need it unless you're going to college for math.

Almost done with the jacket now. Pants are done. Now I need to get some E6000 glue

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c_bass16</div><div class="ubbcode-body">take a Home Ec class in high school if it is still offered. skip accounting or senior math and learn to use your hands. Wood Shop, Metal Shop, Home Ec to cook, or Home Ec to Sew. (not only that but there should be some hotties in Home Ec lol)
I have been out of HS for 10 years and have only come up with ONE single occasion where I needed basic algebra knowledge. Anything past Algebra is specialized enough that you wont need it unless you're going to college for math. </div></div>
We have to take a math class our senior year. I might buy a sewin machine and have my mom show me how to use it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _Shay_</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, whitesuit and krylon it is. Thanks guys </div></div>
Run down to General Jim's in Clare...they've got G.I. white parka covers for about $20.00. They also have German snow camo that works well.

So, are you hunting the Pigeon River country?

No, my buddy I hunt with has a pond, adn we usually call them in.

General Jims in Clare, ive been there before. Pretty nice store. Next to the Massive Jays Sporting Goods. So.. many... guns.... *drool*

I commend this young man and have encouraged him for making an attempt at this project, which judging by the consensus, is doomed to fail. However...I myself made an attempt simply because I'd rather learn from experience. Keep this thread alive for the young man, but also feel free to stop over to mine and tell me what you think.

Arctic Snow Ghillie - Field Test

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Lvy1dixiWhE"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Lvy1dixiWhE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/65ef4QDnVFs"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/65ef4QDnVFs" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

yep...they are screen shots from the video. watch the video if you wanna see where I am at. like i said, not as good as i wanted because this will mostly be a prairie suit...but since it is sold..i have plenty of time to perfect Arctic Ghillie 2.0

Im taking a few minutes break from mine.

All I can say is thanks CBass. Thanks fro all of the help adn encouragement. Your suit is awesome. I hope mine turns out as well as yours. The glue is drying on the netting now, so hopefully, I can be done in the next day or two.

Oh, dont worry, there will be pics
wink.gif

CBass, watched the vid, HOLY CRAP! no wonder we never caught a yeti, probably walked right by them.

loved the sound track.

SHAY, as long as you have material that doesn't yellow up on ya, i humbly retract my previous posts.

white nylon. i dont think it will. white bedsheet. all it will see is snow. if it happens to yellow a bit, here comes the white spraypaint

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cmnspwr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Say a sniper was hiding in the snow. How would he cover his footsteps? </div></div>

Only move in a blizzard.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cmnspwr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Say a sniper was hiding in the snow. How would he cover his footsteps? </div></div>
Here's the thing. We arent snipers. We hunt in them.

Well, Im starting over. I didnt turn out how i'd like it. So redo. PM me if you want the other.

I understand that an ideal position for a sniper would be elevated to observe as much area as possible but those are also the kind of places i hunt from. If you keep yourself above the critters you hunt...they arent going to see footprints and as long as you keep from being skylined your good to go. Even when i hunt in early fall i try to move on the back side of hills and when i spot something, belly crawl over the top into position.
regardless...as a sniper, if you have to find a place to fire from that will conceal your tracks, a ghillie along a tree line would work even that much better.

My friends and I joined a paintball game a few years ago. One of the guys worked for Intel and brought all of us these white lab suits they use in their chip factory.

They worked very well and the best thing is that they go over your winter coats, they are very tough and light, none of us ripped ours. And once we got them dirty in the dirt, they were perfect patches of white and brown.

clean-room-suits-snow-camo-2.jpg

Had the mom teach me how to sew as well...

"Anything past Algebra is specialized enough that you wont need it unless you're going to college for math."

-This is true...except college math is a living h*ll. And the more math you learn, unfortunately, the more useless it's appearing to become. I'm going through it right now...

Cbass..love the ghillie, but is that one of those USMC digital overwhites? I've been dying to get my hands on one of those.

nope...whole suit is done by hand. digital pattern was grey oil based spray paint.
working to develop my own snow camo pattern for next winter but doubtful i will have it finished and printed by then. (pattern is done, just need to find a place that can mass produce it for me. The problem seems to be that no one will/can print or dye on a waterproof material...so i will need to print on it first, and waterproof it 2nd.
Suits are going to be made hard all summer i hope. two versions. an overwhite version, and an overwhite+ghillie version.

If you have a slaughter house near you they wear white cotton pants & long overcoats. They work great. A touch of paint here & there.

cotton is 100% NOT recommended EVER for a winter suit.