• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Snowshoes......

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 6, 2011
    MA
    In the market for snowshoes

Used to love Atlas when they were made in the USA now it seems MSR has the most likely to be made in the USA stuff.

Thinking of getting a set of these.....

I like ratchet bindings.....easier to manipulate without having your hands freeze in the process.

Anyone familiar with these? Can you vouche its a solid system making the bottom of your boot and shoe one?

Reactions: Ison
    One, I hate snow shoes. Once I learned about BC skiing via Telemark and AT gear, I haven't used mine but a handful of times.
    I dont do it much and still enjoy a nice cruise around on old leather 3 pin boots and light gear.

those you linked look like they will work just fine. Dang they are pricey though.
    I used the old (first gen) MSR plastic snowshoes (the Denali series it looks like) as needed in AK and in CO. They were a lot like these, but a little simpler design.

Still have a pair of old Atlas snowshoes that the FD gave me for when we had to do a lot of work in soft snow. I dont use them much now that I am not on the FD, and the worked fine for the times I used them. They have ratchets and always have issues.
    I like the old hypalon or heavy duty rubber straps with holes that you pull back at 180 degrees and lock down. Less stuff to break and ratchets tend to get iced up (In my experience). the ones I had used a large tab so they were easy to use with gloves on. Also make sure straps are hypalon or rubber, no webbing. Ices up really bad, worse than the ratchets. The MSR ones above are similar to the strap system mine had. I sold them as I always used skis for fun vs snowshoes.

Depending on use plans, I might look around for a pair of the older MSR ones.

MSR updated their snowshoes this year so I can't comment on how well the new binding works; however, a lot of people like the new binding and their hinged decks have always done a good job of mating your feet to the shoe.

One, I hate snow shoes. Once I learned about BC skiing via Telemark and AT gear, I haven't used mine but a handful of times.
    I dont do it much and still enjoy a nice cruise around on old leather 3 pin boots and light gear.

those you linked look like they will work just fine. Dang they are pricey though.
    I used the old (first gen) MSR plastic snowshoes (the Denali series it looks like) as needed in AK and in CO. They were a lot like these, but a little simpler design.

Still have a pair of old Atlas snowshoes that the FD gave me for when we had to do a lot of work in soft snow. I dont use them much now that I am not on the FD, and the worked fine for the times I used them. They have ratchets and always have issues.
    I like the old hypalon or heavy duty rubber straps with holes that you pull back at 180 degrees and lock down. Less stuff to break and ratchets tend to get iced up (In my experience). the ones I had used a large tab so they were easy to use with gloves on. Also make sure straps are hypalon or rubber, no webbing. Ices up really bad, worse than the ratchets. The MSR ones above are similar to the strap system mine had. I sold them as I always used skis for fun vs snowshoes.

Depending on use plans, I might look around for a pair of the older MSR ones.

Randonee skiing calls to me. Friend with land to explore does a lot of cross country and Id love to one up him with a Randonee set up.

For family stuff though I need shoes.

Going to give my son a set of 25 series Atlas I bought twenty years ago when they were made in Seattle.

I want to go with something in the 220 pound range figuring my 185 pounds and a Day pack.

The kids currently have MSRs with the hypalon straps. They dont totally suck. I can manipulate them fine but the kinds dont adequately tighten them. My only negative experience with the rubber strapping is from doing both the kids shoes and doing theirs by the time Im done my hands are frozen.

Mostly I wont experience powder living in the North east. Where we have really need them the trail has been packed and they are used more as long/wide crampons.

Reactions: powdahound76
    MSR updated their snowshoes this year so I can't comment on how well the new binding works; however, a lot of people like the new binding and their hinged decks have always done a good job of mating your feet to the shoe.

Got that link off MSR site and they seem to be out of stock in most things....want to avoid REI if I can.

I hear you on cold hands.

Look into a lightweight wind stopper glove. To me, they are priceless in any serious time spent doing outdoor endeavors. I have circulation issues in hands and feet. A pair of these keeps my hands warm enough, but not sweating. Also allows good dexterity.
    I can run a rifle, work my ballistics stuff due to screen magic stuff on the fingers, get in my pack for stuff, manipulate pack buckles, etc.

I have used Manzella, OR, and Black Diamond.

this is my favorite.

I carry a pair of old mittens in my pack, can be old gloves too. Just something bigger if stopped or something happens.

A wool T-shirt and that new hoody should make a fine set of layers for a nice snowshoe hike!

I wish you lived closer, I have a sweet lightweight AT set up you could try out.
    Used to be used for climbing and skiing peaks, 14ers, and the such in the spring. Now they keep dust off other stuff in my garage..... ;)

Reactions: pmclaine
    Snow is a four letter word similar to :poop:, not a polite one. Move south, forget the snow shoes. ;)

Reactions: Samuel Whittemore
    My wife has a women’s pair of these. She is sending them back as on hard pack snow (where she walks the dogs everyday) the cleats cut into/through the hard pack and create a drag as she pulls them out. Not an issue in fresh snow, just hardpack. She has worn out 3 pair of snowshoes in the past 10 years so I trust her opinion. Now, there are times those aggressive cleats can be good. Just match your needs to the shoes.

Reactions: pmclaine

Look into a lightweight wind stopper glove. To me, they are priceless in any serious time spent doing outdoor endeavors. I have circulation issues in hands and feet. A pair of these keeps my hands warm enough, but not sweating. Also allows good dexterity.
    I can run a rifle, work my ballistics stuff due to screen magic stuff on the fingers, get in my pack for stuff, manipulate pack buckles, etc.

this is my favorite.

I carry a pair of old mittens in my pack, can be old gloves too. Just something bigger if stopped or something happens.

A wool T-shirt and that new hoody should make a fine set of layers for a nice snowshoe hike!

I wish you lived closer, I have a sweet lightweight AT set up you could try out.
    Used to be used for climbing and skiing peaks, 14ers, and the such in the spring. Now they keep dust off other stuff in my garage..... ;)
    Those look nice, are they thin enough for shooting.

EDIT: never mind I need to learn to read.

A keep a thin pair of neoprene gloves in all packs and vehicles. Great for quick work, and great for an inner glove.

this is my favorite.

My current gloves....

1612028221885.png

OR Windstopper Grippers......fine if you are moving.

I think I messed up my hands a bit when I rode MC. If temps were moderately cold tips of fingers would turn waxy white followed by numbness, followed by serious amounts of pain while the blood flow restored.....kind of like a Reynauds disease thing.

If cold is going to suck for me its usually hands as the wool purchases and proper foot gear can mitigate standing cold.

Reactions: powdahound76
    My wife has a women’s pair of these. She is sending them back as on hard pack snow (where she walks the dogs everyday) the cleats cut into/through the hard pack and create a drag as she pulls them out. Not an issue in fresh snow, just hardpack. She has worn out 3 pair of snowshoes in the past 10 years so I trust her opinion. Now, there are times those aggressive cleats can be good. Just match your needs to the shoes.

With the family it usually is at either end of the spectrum......dead flat for miles or an uphill trail climb with packed snow that has turned into ice.

Where we go generally gets too many people packed ice trails resulting. The cleats become more necessary than flotation.

Wife and I have crampons....that would be the better option frequently.

Reactions: remaction
    A keep a thin pair of neoprene gloves in all packs and vehicles. Great for quick work, and great for an inner glove.

I do thin silk liners for the feet before a wool or appropriate weather over sock.

Same for hands would be great.

Not as insulating as dive suit rubber but it just seems to aid in heat as well as hot spots.

I find that my hands warm up with appropriate activity and the WS gloves keep them “warm enough” but not sweaty when cold. Like NE kinda temps.
    I have similar issues with hand temps, actually will have white fingers in my house with the thermostat at 65F.

For my feet, I use @kraigWY old trick he told years back of rubbing them with antiperspirant before winter slogs. He was the head of a NG unit in AK before fancy modern gear and thats a trick they would use while training in winter. IIRC temps to -20 werent uncommon.
    On a recent hunting trip (lots of sitting in cold temps) it saved my bacon. I also was wearing insulated boots, but same boots without always ended in cold feet before
    i also use it on BC ski trips and helps immensely.

Quite a few years ago, I worked in rural AK. I built myself a set of shoes. Then some furniture. Then got in a bunch of kits and helped kids buid these, as well...big hit:

Reactions: camocorvette
    Quite a few years ago, I worked in rural AK. I built myself a set of shoes. Then some furniture. Then got in a bunch of kits and helped kids buid these, as well...big hit:

Friend used a set of those.....love the nostalgia but the bindings suck so bad Id rather post hole my way through the snow.

I find that my hands warm up with appropriate activity and the WS gloves keep them “warm enough” but not sweaty when cold. Like NE kinda temps.
    I have similar issues with hand temps, actually will have white fingers in my house with the thermostat at 65F.

For my feet, I use @kraigWY old trick he told years back of rubbing them with antiperspirant before winter slogs. He was the head of a NG unit in AK before fancy modern gear and thats a trick they would use while training in winter. IIRC temps to -20 werent uncommon.
    On a recent hunting trip (lots of sitting in cold temps) it saved my bacon. I also was wearing insulated boots, but same boots without always ended in cold feet before
    i also use it on BC ski trips and helps immensely.

Army actually did some mental/physical training to trick or reset the brain to ignore cold.

Has to do with sitting out in relatively mild cold in sub appropriate clothing. Cold enough to feel a chill but not crazy cold.

Put your hands in a warm bucket of water and try to create the condition of your body sending a signal to the brain "Hey its a little cold" while your hands (extremities) are sending out "Man this is so warm and comfortable".

The brain than resets to realize body is over reacting, there is no coming danger of hypothermia so the brain does not institute the shut down of blood flow to the extremity in order to keep core temps up.

That is the abridged version...never tried it but it sounds like sound training.

I have read of mountain climbers that do similar unknowingly. They will do physical excercise in cold temps and carry snowballs. Im guessing hands scream out "Shut us down...Save the Core! Frostbite coming" while the core is saying "Man we are excercising and the core is heating up, lets shed some heat to the extremities to try and cool down."

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
    I've got a few sets of Bear Paws here, and can't deny the huge advantage of 'snow shoes' whilst prospecting in B.C. Many years ago. But this advent of newfangled technology and whatnot, has far surpassed my knowledge-base and experience on that topic.

But on another note, that has been brought up, is the 'acclimation' to temperatures. I remember as a kid, entering our own house or other families houses (in the dead of winter) and hitting that WALL of heat. Back then, it was 'normal' to have the thermostat set considerably higher in the winter than what the airconditioning was set at, during the summer. (that make sense?)

Point being, it isn't so much of what the temperature 'is', near-so-much as what the temperature is that you FEEL. So yeah, each fall I'm the one who's walking around far longer than anyone else and not wearing a jacket. Same goes for shorts an' t-shirts. Point being, getting used to the dropping temperatures 'as they happen' naturally, definitely helps in the energy bills through the winter.

The thermostat in the house here ain't near as high during the day as it used to be when I was young. And we're comfortable. Draft elimination is definitely the second thing to pay attention to. Stay outta the draft, and you'll keep your 'bubble of warmth' around you more.

It sucks, but if/when you go through some REALLY hard times, and you are having to watch every single cent and decide where it goes,,, you learn how to adapt and overcome. It truly is incredible just how 'warm' a room can get with a few candles going. There was a time when we had to put a serious consideration on 'candle budgeting'... and that is where I'd learned the deep effects of 'acclimating' for the season.

My current gloves....

View attachment 7542114

OR Windstopper Grippers......fine if you are moving.

I think I messed up my hands a bit when I rode MC. If temps were moderately cold tips of fingers would turn waxy white followed by numbness, followed by serious amounts of pain while the blood flow restored.....kind of like a Reynauds disease thing.

If cold is going to suck for me its usually hands as the wool purchases and proper foot gear can mitigate standing cold.
    I just got these off ebay... Shooter mittens. Quite nice for $20. The wool liners are probably enough to keep my hands warm in the frigid CA temps, all of 38 degrees... (lol) and the leather outers are very well made. Brand new condition.

Reactions: Newbie2020
    I just got these off ebay... Shooter mittens. Quite nice for $20. The wool liners are probably enough to keep my hands warm in the frigid CA temps, all of 38 degrees... (lol) and the leather outers are very well made. Brand new condition.

Those are heavy activity or California rated.

Never really kept my hands warm.