• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

So here's a dilemma that I'm sure most of us have faced-

Sell it while you can get good money for it and there aren’t many revolver people left in the world????
You’re terribly naive where gun collecting is concerned. Any Colt, much less a PYTHON, will appreciate 10% a year regardless of the economy. Colt revolvers are at the top of the list for any knowledgeable gun collector. Meanwhile that super duper Vortex scope you buy new will depreciate 15% the minute you walk out of the gun shop and continue losing value each year. It’s a no brainer.........keep the Python, save some money and wait for a hot deal on a used high quality scope. Plenty of people are out of work and deals will start popping up.

LOL @ $200-$500 a year appreciation. When he’s 80, maybe he can finally make some good money off the appreciation.

That’s peanuts

You don’t collect firearms as investments unless you either have a ton of them or some extremely high value stuff. Neither of which the OP has.

Last edited:
Reactions: chopit
Yes I am naive where gun collecting is concerned cause I shoot guns and since this is a shooting forum and not a collecting forum. I guess the OP who is interested in PRS could save up for a while or sell the gun he doesnt use for a premium price and start shooting something he is interested in. Not everyone is made of money real people have to sell shit to get shit sometimes in life.

Not to mention there is always a cap. It’s not going to sell for $30k in 20 years.

Once I hit so many guns in my safe, I started trading a lot more... Take a gun I don't use as much and trade it (or sell/buy) for something I will use.

Theres a few guns that only come out a couple times a year like my Rem. 870 Wingmaster..but it has its purpose those few times a year. I have a few family guns that won't ever get sold...then everything else is pretty much up for debate.

I've traded and/or sold then bought my last 5-6 guns and I prefer it that way now. I got enough guns for now and I honestly don't shoot them all enough anyways.

Precision shooting has been a blast this last year and it takes up a lot more time, so I'm not shooting some of my other guns as much.

I say take a few photos, store them on your computer...and sell that bitch.

• Haha
Reactions: D1gger
I have two Pythons. I love to look at them, and because of their worth I shoot them very little. I also have a beloved 1990's vintage Remington Varmint Synthetic in .308 , in the factory HS precision stock, which shoots very very tight groups with Federal Match .308. If I needed the money I'd sell the Pythons more readily, both because they're worth a hell of a lot more than the Remington, and because it's easier to find a Python to buy (if you have the money) than it is to find a good older Remington 700 that's as accurate as mine is.

I can't advise you to sell the Python for a small fortune, but if you do, I have this advice:

Don't buy an expensive rifle and a cheap scope. Buy a fairly priced rifle, and an expensive scope. And if you want, an expensive LaRue, etc., quick detach mount. That way you can use the expensive scope on other of your rifles (assuming they all have compatible Picatinny rails.)

It's like they used to say when buying a home stereo speaker; spend a small amount of money on your amp, and a lot of money on the speakers (roughly paraphrased.)

I would only keep it if it was sentimental or an heirloom. Otherwise I see it as potential that could be unleashed to serve a more useful purpose now and later recouped if needed as long as you don't use the money to buy stuff that other people wouldn't want to buy off you in the event of a rainy day.

I say sell it, but make sure that you don't take the funds and spend them directly into a depreciating asset or consumables. Use those funds to buy something really nice - like maybe instead of buying that PST scope, you get a Razor AMG, or maybe a nice custom action and barrel instead of an off-the-rack R700, or whatever. Just make sure you can sit back in a few years and feel like you put the money to good use instead of getting that "oh, shit, I wasted it" gutpunch.

And yeah, I totally understand that at the end of the day it's just one big pool of money and every dollar is the same as every other dollar, but psychologically, I think it's important to link the sale of A to the acquisition of B.

Reactions: Tchitcherine
So I'm really trying to get better at this long distance/PRS shooting, but I just don't have the right gear.
I know it can be done with a bone stock Remington and a 10X scope, but I would like to have some better stuff-not super high end, but good quality. Like not quite Razor but PST Gen II if that makes sense
Anyway, the money is tight, as always. So the dilemma is that I have blue Colt Python, mid-70s that I have had for probably 20 years. I bet I have shot it 3x. I fondle it way more than I shoot it. I think I paid less than $500 for it
They are bringing stupid money right now. I've been tempted to sell before, but I'm kind of at the point where if I'm not using it, why not convert it into something that I will shoot.
I'll probably regret it in 20 years, same as the guy who sold his 69 Mach 1 in 1980 for $1000.
Anyway, I'm open for your opinions
Mods-if this isn't the correct forum, I apologize, please feel free to move-thanks
IMHO, u have 2 different issues: 1. To sell the Cobra or not, and 2. Getting better at long distance shooting.

1. If u don’t shoot the cobra AND ur not a gun collector, sell it.

2. Maximize ur technique before u buy fancy equipment.

I’m still somewhat new to long range shooting. I’m shooting a stock Savage 11 w sport barrel. My best improvements were not equipment related but rather technique: primarily body position and trigger control. As far as equipment, I replaced the plastic stock w Boyd’s thumbhole and put a nice Vortex 6-24 on top but the rifle system is still basically stock. Are u still on target thur the scope after ur shot? Can u shoot close to MOA at 200 yds w a standard 3-9 scope? If u answer no to either question, then I humbly suggest working on technique rather than equipment: body position, breathing, trigger control, etc. lots of advice on those issues in this forum. I won’t repeat them here. Good luck. I’m regularly hitting 9” steel at 600 yds with same stock barrel and fire control. Most of that was technique, not equipment. YMMV

IMHO, u have 2 different issues: 1. To sell the Cobra or not, and 2. Getting better at long distance shooting.

1. If u don’t shoot the cobra AND ur not a gun collector, sell it.

2. Maximize ur technique before u buy fancy equipment.

I’m still somewhat new to long range shooting. I’m shooting a stock Savage 11 w sport barrel. My best improvements were not equipment related but rather technique: primarily body position and trigger control. As far as equipment, I replaced the plastic stock w Boyd’s thumbhole and put a nice Vortex 6-24 on top but the rifle system is still basically stock. Are u still on target thur the scope after ur shot? Can u shoot close to MOA at 200 yds w a standard 3-9 scope? If u answer no to either question, then I humbly suggest working on technique rather than equipment: body position, breathing, trigger control, etc. lots of advice on those issues in this forum. I won’t repeat them here. Good luck. I’m regularly hitting 9” steel at 600 yds with same stock barrel and fire control. Most of that was technique, not equipment. YMMV
Um-OK
So first, it's a Python, not a Cobra. Huge difference that makes me wonder that even though you quoted the thread you didn't read it
Other than both being Colt's and named after snakes, that's about the only thing they have in common. Probably about $2K difference in value
Second, I've never tried shooting a 3x9 scope at 200 yds, I don't even own one, but I can do it with a fixed 10X. Is that good enough for you to allow me to purchase nicer stuff? I didn't see anywhere in the prior 58 posts where anyone's skill level has come into question. Have you tried to hit a 6" plate at 950 yds with that 3-9x? I've done it with my 10X on a 308 and it's not easy. That's why I want some nicer gear
Anyway, thanks for your input

Um-OK
So first, it's a Python, not a Cobra. Huge difference that makes me wonder that even though you quoted the thread you didn't read it
Other than both being Colt's and named after snakes, that's about the only thing they have in common. Probably about $2K difference in value
Second, I've never tried shooting a 3x9 scope at 200 yds, I don't even own one, but I can do it with a fixed 10X. Is that good enough for you to allow me to purchase nicer stuff? I didn't see anywhere in the prior 58 posts where anyone's skill level has come into question. Have you tried to hit a 6" plate at 950 yds with that 3-9x? I've done it with my 10X on a 308 and it's not easy. That's why I want some nicer gear
Anyway, thanks for your input
Python, cobra - my bad. I’m not a wheel gun guy. If ur hitting 6” steel at 950yds w a 10x, then ur already better than me. My apologies. Wasn’t trying to insult ur skills. Just rehashing some of my learning experiences that you’ve obviously already been thru. To that point, if you’ve reached the limit of ur skill w present equipment, I’m learning that the hobby gets expensive. I’ve got a Ruger Precision rifle on my wish list. Good luck on ur hunt.

DON'T EVER SELL IT!!

If you try to sell it, I will materialize out of thin air and donkey punch you in the buddies.

As someone who had revolvers and HAD to sell them as I lost my job years ago, I can not replace them for what I paid. A decent Python will fetch $3-5 k right now. and you think that is topped out? no way, Gen one Colt single actions regularly sell for $15k and there were more of those made than a Python.

As someone who sold a Colt revolver. I regret it to this day.

• Haha
I’ve sold about half a dozen guns. Do I miss the mosin nagant or the 10/22? Nah, there are others out there if I need one. Do I miss the Galil or the MAK90, stuff they can’t import anymore and are hard to find, yeah, kinda. If this was a glock or an M&P, it would be a no brainer, but something like that python.... tough call.

When looking at all the people and possessions in this world, only a very small percentage of them make you happy and are worth keeping around. If you enjoy taking your revolver out of the case and holding it, that is just as valid as enjoying shooting it. Some people collect stamps to brighten up their lives; I've never heard one of them recommend mailing a letter or two with one of their prized possessions. (That being said, I don't hang around many stamp collectors...)

Point being, this whole gun hobby thing is about making your life better and more enjoyable. If that old revolver does it for you, whether you shoot it or not, I wouldn't be too quick to say goodbye.

It is amazing how much you can save if you focus on it. Buy/order the chicken instead of the steak, take the sedan instead of the pickup, tell your wife to change the Amazon password and not tell you the new one, ect.. Hell, shop used and pick up a cheap PST from someone we peer-pressured into upgrading to a Razor!

That being said, bring the Colt and a box of ammo with you on your next range trip. My guess is that you won't sell it after that.

P.S. My daily driver is a '69...

Reactions: Cuda-dude
I remember back in the late 80’s early 90’s, a guy up in Randal Washington talking about shooting a buddies python and hitting beer cans at 100 yards. My anaconda was inside a coffee can lid at that distance,scoped with a rest and the best handloads I could come up with. I think there’s a lot of choices out there now that can shoot as good as a python but back then I didn’t know of anything. I’ve had 3-4 357’s , rugers if I remember. I never could get anything great out of them. The 44 rugers I had all shot really good with hot loads but never liked anything mild that didn’t make your hand burn after a dozen rounds. Always wanted a python but even back then they commanded a premium price. For me I guess I want something I can shoot till it’s wore out or I’m bored with it. I believe the python lives up to its hype but it’s value makes it a safe queen

Keep it dude. You can find money for upgrades somewhere else. You sell it and decide you made a mistake it’s gonna cost you more to get another and you will probably spend a couple of years kicking your own ass for selling it. I know I have on a couple of cars/guns and guitars.

Don’t do it. I used to sell guns every week it seemed so that I could get "the latest and greatest." With a couple of exceptions, I’ve regretted every one. Haven’t sold anything in years, and won’t unless it’s an absolute emergency. Some of my biggest regretts:

* NIB 6" Python sold for $1k
*NIB HK P7M13 sold for $1k
*NIB HK91 (German made) sold for $1500
*NIB HK93 (German made) sold for $1200
*NIB Les Baer AR10 sold for $1200
*NIB Les Baer 1911 sold for $1200

Funny (sad) thing is, I can’t even remember what I bought with the sale of the above. Whatever it was, was not memorable or worth remotely what I sold to acquire it.

I say sell. Unless there is an emotional connection to it it just isn’t getting used. I’d rather buy stuff I’m going to take out and send shit down range than have a cool gun collecting dust. That’s just me. Then again if you ever want to dress up as Rick Grimes from The Walking Dead the Colt is really a necessary keep. What id do is this: list out the specific upgrades you’ll buy with the money from the colt. Whether it’s a new action, barrel, whatever. Maybe a chunk toward better glass. And then think whether that stuff will make you happier than fondling the colt.

Better yet. Best way to make a big decision: flip a coin. Heads you sell tails you keep. As soon as that suckers in the air you’ll know what you really want to do because you’ll be wanting a certain side of the coin to show. Works every time.

6A6E0281-E73E-46FA-849C-90ED64ABF1D6.png
F4564B8D-0A05-47BA-BD11-48A1B30D948C.png
show me a scope that can appreciate in value like a colt or any other “gear”. Colts are king when it comes to resale value.

I am not a collector and I keep my collection very slim.

If the gun has no sentimental value, like something passed down in the family, or your great grand dad used it to kill nazis in ww2/etcetc. I would sell it while it still has value. Colt is making the python again, and MSRP is $1500. If you in 5 years wanted a wheel gun again, you could probably buy one that's more fun to shoot or even nicer (Korth).

I would however try to find a buyer that will appreciate it and not go cerakote it hot pink or something.

DON'T EVER SELL IT!!

If you try to sell it, I will materialize out of thin air and donkey punch you in the buddies.

As someone who had revolvers and HAD to sell them as I lost my job years ago, I can not replace them for what I paid. A decent Python will fetch $3-5 k right now. and you think that is topped out? no way, Gen one Colt single actions regularly sell for $15k and there were more of those made than a Python.

As someone who sold a Colt revolver. I regret it to this day.
I sold a pretty nice collection of Pythons and Diamondbacks when I got into LR shooting. Made money too. I had 4 NIB Pythons in my safe in 2001, gunbroker buys, I ended up keeping 6" blue, and 4" blue Pythons, 6" Blue 22LR, 4" blue 38 spec. I fired one box of shells through each, back in the safe to collect dust.
It did not phase me in the least to dump them, and I do not miss them. Over the yrs I replaced them with comparable S&W revolvers, shoot just as good, stouter made.
Sorry, but I laugh at the 2500+ prices for one today. It is pretty rare younger people even know what one is, or if they do, get caught up in the hype. People want shit that seems unobtainable. Too much coin for a conversation piece.
To the OP, you have my answer, lol
If we'd had kids, maybe my mindset would've changed.

Reactions: Bender
So, for an update-I've consigned it locally, we'll see if it sells. I set a price I can live with. I felt zero emotion about doing it.
I'm more excited about what I can do with the $$$ once it sells. It's going to allow me to get some decent glass-been really looking at Razors.
Like I said before, I've evolved from being a collector to more of a shooter. If I can't or won't use it, it's not of much use. I do have a few sentimental pieces that I won't let go, but the rest I think is fair game at this point.
I do appreciate everyone's response-except for Bender-he's going to donkey punch me in the balls....

No regrets for me on the 3.5-27 razor. Really like the retical