• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

so i didnt clean my rifle

NY700

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 23, 2009
Dallas
So after reading all the posts regarding cleaning and also barrel break in, after my last trip to the range I did NOT clean my rifle nor did I do a break in on one of my new barrels. Let me say its killing me. I feel like I can hear them yelling at me! Its like turning your back on your religion and your fathers teachings! You guys need to come up with a 12 step program. So here is my question. Should I still clean the action particularly on my AR's, and after shooting if I'm going to be somewhere with high humidity should I clean regardless of number of shots. I've always been a fan of a nice coat of oil in the bore when I'm going to have the gun sitting somewhere very humid.
Thanks

Re: so i didnt clean my rifle

Cleaning the action on a gas gun is fine. You'll want to keep it running. Synthetic oil (Slip2000) is your friend here.

Back when I owned an AR, I ran 1500 rounds through an LWRC 12.7" before cleaning for the first time. Over the 5200 rounds I put through it in five months, it was cleaned no more than three times -- and the third time was right before I sold it.

I have 150+ rounds through an AI AW and have yet to clean it. Cold bore first shots are still within the X every time.

Shoot more, clean less. Your gun will let you know when she's dirty.
wink.gif

Just clean the receiver, bolt and swab the chamber after each outing until it starts to "tell you" it wants to be cleaned - then don't overdo it. You'll be fine.

Big question is do I need to do anything different if I'm going tto be in very wet or humid areas for extended periods. I've always stored my rifles with a healthy amount of oil in the bore to protect against rust and corosion. With all that crap in the barrel I didn't know how it will react at high humidity.
Thanks

I think that the controversy over cleaning/not cleaning gets skewed by amount of usage. If you are shooting a particular rifle regularly so that the bore is clean and the action isn't sandy and the lugs are lubricated, long term shooting until accuracy falls off is ok. My opinion on the action of putting a dirty rifle up in a high humidity situation leans toward at least wiping the innards down and swabbing the bore with EEZOX. Stainless...the word means "stain less". Not stain or rust free. JMHO

As long as you aren't storing your gear in a sealed case (Storm, Pelican, etc.) you'll be fine. If you're storing long-term with no intent to shoot then yeah, what the hell, clean it and oil it. That's common sense. But, if you're using your gear during that time then only clean when necessary.

I live in one of the most humid places in the US. I've left my cheap AK hang on the wall for months on end without cleaning after the last range trip. I've looked at it and actually had greenish-white powdery stuff nearly close-up the bore. A couple strokes with a Hoppes soaked patch and it's gone and the bore is still shiney and the rifle still hits the gong at 300yds.

That said, I DO NOT leave my better rifles like that. If I don't plan to shoot again in the next month or so I run a bore-snake thru it before putting it up.

All rifles are stored in an air conditioned house.

Bore Snakes are the only snakes that I like... literally. In my AR based rifles, I clean the carbon out of the bolt assembly often, and only seldom do I run the Bore Snake.

On my bolt guns, I run the Snake through 5 times after I take the rifle out of the box. It will only see the Snake again after several outings and several hundred rounds.

DK