• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

So I was thinking... rifle changes and life problems

paigecm

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 9, 2007
Last night I found myself contemplating my life choices, at least I think. So I tried to engage my wife in this conversation but she told me my head was a scary place and she had no business in there. Well daaaauuuum.
Story goes like this. I had a great range trip yesterday. The range I belong to has steel from 300yds out to a mile so a great place to go hang out. I load up all 3 of my rifles. Pick up my Dad meet my nephew and we shoot for hours. Got to introduce him into a little long range shooting and had great day. Then I get home and start my thinking. Not about the great day and the fellowship and fun but my rifles... What the hell is wrong with me? I just never seem to be satisfied or happy with firearm I have be it rifles, shotguns or pistols. If it's not upgrading them then it's moving it on and getting something else. I know I am not alone in this category so that is why I am here. I have got the bug to switch up what I have going on. All I can figure is no other reason other than boredom or the thought of something "better". However I don't want to spend a whole lot of money so I cannot keep everything. Otherwise that would just be plain selfish and self centered, and I am certainly neither! Ah-hem.
Below is what I am working with at the moment. In order of favorites I would say it's a tie between the 300wm and the 308. Just seem to really like those guns. Tikka is stupid accurate also just is what it is.

1) Older model GA Precision Crusader in .308 / Steiner T5Xi
2) Tikka T3X CTR in a McMillan A5 6.5CM / Vortex Razor Gen II 18x
3) LRI built 300WM in a KRG Bravo / Leupold M5 25x

So here is where it gets a jumbled up a little. I like things and multiple things of the same thing.... Here goes nothing. I was thinking if I like the 300wm so much keep it sell the other 2 and get an AI/AT with 2 barrels (or more). Or sell all 3 and another something from the safe and get an AXMC. Really like the thoughts of being able to switch calibers whenever I want easily and in the field. Either way I am dwindling my stuff and somewhere in my dark mind I believe that the person with the most shit when they die wins, which I know is total BS but I am a sick individual and hopefully not alone!

I guess I am asking about a couple of things.
1) Am I the only person with this kind of crap on their mind? No impending doom on your end just wanting something different?
2) Am I missing something with my thoughts on my AI "vision". Will this cover the bases?
3) Is there a possible better solution? Other than counseling!
4) Your thoughts on consolidating rifles, pistols shotguns etc...

Sorry for the long post. This was meant to be light.

People with the most things when they die aren't winners they're Inheritance Gold Mines for others to enjoy what you left behind when you departed.

What the hell is wrong with me? I just never seem to be satisfied or happy with firearm I have be it rifles, shotguns or pistols. If it's not upgrading them then it's moving it on and getting something else. I know I am not alone in this category so that is why I am here. I have got the bug to switch up what I have going on. All I can figure is no other reason other than boredom or the thought of something "better".

You just described a hallmark trait of American ingenuity and entrepreneurship.........

People with the most things when they die aren't winners they're Inheritance Gold Mines for others to enjoy what you left behind when you departed.
I think I like your outlook a little better than mine, LOL!!🤣🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: candyx
I'm 53, y/o and I think like this more and more. I'd like to think it's a sign of maturity.

I'm in the few high quality items camp. Only because I cant afford a lot of high quality things.
The only problem with the sell everything and get the AI is what if you want to have one gun set up and shooting 300 yards while someone else shoots it at 1000? Definitely need 2 rifles....

I'm in the few high quality items camp. Only because I cant afford a lot of high quality things.
The only problem with the sell everything and get the AI is what if you want to have one gun set up and shooting 300 yards while someone else shoots it at 1000? Definitely need 2 rifles....

That's where my AI/AT comes in and keep the 300wm?

I KNEW I CAME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!!!!!!!!!

You don’t have enough hobbies. Once you’ve spent the $ to get in the top ~30% really hard to upgrade and see a big move so it gets boring and you start thinking it’s “wasting” money so just get into more things at ground level and spend your time and money getting to that spot and keep the excitement. Or.. get an AI

Man, I'm in the same boat but I can tell you this. I always bought pre-built rifles and handguns ex: Wilson Combat, Hill Country, Daniel Defense. Never built one myself. So here is what I'll suggest. I'd sell all them, right? Have enough cash+a bit more to buy all the parts and accessories like top end things and build myself a custom bolt action that I will forever cherish. It's because I built it. Not someone else and it gives it a purpose to stay.

Right now I'm building on a Mausingfield and plan on ordering my stock and barrel soon! That's a huge leap. Then onto the trigger, scope, scope base, bipod or tripod, etc. It's just what I feel like you need. Custom build one yourself and get what you want the first time, you already know what you like!

-Nightlybane

Everything has strengths and weaknesses, even if the weaknesses are not bad at all but not aspects you prefer.

Been down the changing barrels thing and it's not for me, that's for sure. I'd rather spend the money on another rifle/scope combo.

It's also the diminishing returns thing, gotta pay thousands more for a tad better howbeit debatable performance increase. For the regular working man that risks pissing off the wife.......

Anyway, think hard before you jump off that cliff. I see nothing wrong with your current rifles.

BTW my wife will let me buy anything I want so.....

I believer we are what gun companies call “churners”....

Been in the same place and knowing that I will need to move all my stuff out of my house for a rebuild this summer, I’m wondering how I got this much and why I wanted it.

It’s nice to have an “over abundance of riches” with rifles, scopes, powder, brass, bullets, etc.... But its gonna suck boxing them all up!!

I say option c) sell the tikka, keep the GAP and LRI and save up for the AI AT. But that's just cause every person I know who's sold a GAP regrets it. I mean, I understand how the AT with a 308 barrel and a 6.5 barrel covers both spots, but could you have the GAP set up as a switch barrel?

I say option c) sell the tikka, keep the GAP and LRI and save up for the AI AT. But that's just cause every person I know who's sold a GAP regrets it. I mean, I understand how the AT with a 308 barrel and a 6.5 barrel covers both spots, but could you have the GAP set up as a switch barrel?

Good point. Might not want to sell a GAP. A barrel vice, action wrench and call to GAP is all it takes for a switch barrel... it isn't all that hard to swap a barrel. However, most will tell you the alure of switch barrel at the range is overplayed.

I have a "switch barrel", but it is between match season and hunting season, not switches for a range session...

But, if the guy wants an AI, then that is definitely a way to go, if there is something concrete that he wants it and won't keep churning. Personally, I realized I was churning and stopped spinning the wheel and am happy that it landed on the actions I currently have. I had to stop the thinking that kept me churning though.

I'd say save $500 bucks, if you want the AI more than some other toy, then sell everything but the gap, if you still want the AI more than the cash, the sell the GAP and buy the AI. Passage of time will either solidify the decision to buy and AI or SQUIRREL!

Reactions: moosemeat
Don’t sell the GAP. You will regret that decision longer than you will enjoy the new rifle you buy.... BTDT!

So I really like hammering things with the 300wm. So if I keep the GAP sell the Tikka 6.5 and LRI 300wm, to me I don't have crap left. I have nothing good out to the mile and a rifle that is 308 only. I like the idea of switch barrels but I also like the idea of shooting a 308, then being able to throw on say a 6.5PRC or 6mm or 6.5cm during the same session and not having to come home and make the swap. One thing I don't get is what about the zero on an AI when changing calibers???

Here is what I was thinking money wise. These are BEST case scenarios. Don't want to cause an argument on this. I know it can just as easy be more like 6,500.00

300 B.O. Sold locally already for 1600
Tikka/McMillan and Vortex w/ rings hope to net somewhere around 2750. (800 for BA with brake, Stock 650, optic w/ rings 1300)
GAP - 2500 w/ brake
Steiner T5X w/ rings 1100

Total - 7,950 (for new gun and optic or keep one of the ones above and subtract from my total)

If I sold the LRI also maybe add another 1800.00 to the pot keeping the Mark 5. But then would be completely out of rifles...

If I sold everything and started from scratch then I could...

UGH must get off the carousel. LOL

OP, you are not alone, I call this Snipers Hide syndrome and find the more time I spend on this accursed site the more stuff I buy, or want or... I will tell you this, earlier this year I bought my first AI, an AT that shot amazing, then I had an opportunity to buy another "newer" AT so sold the not so old one to get a newer one with skins I really like. Right now I have two barrels, a 20" 308 AI bbl and a 26" SJA 6.5 Creedmoor barrel, the Creedmoor is the newest addition and I've been consistently shooting the best groups I've ever shot with that combo. But now I'm thinking of getting a magnum bolt face from TrophyHunter and spinning up a 7 SAUM barrel, but my buddy swears by his 25 Creedmoor that ballistically matches my 7 SAUM pretty far out, and just the other day I was pondering a 284 Win and whether or not I could get enough speed in my short action for that to be worth it... while thinking of all of this I realized that I love how good my 6.5 Creedmoor shoots so why on earth am I even thinking about another cartridge especially now when components are so hard to come by - it's because we have a disease for the "next shiny thing" that is a product of our consumerist society that specifically markets to our appetite for newer and better.

Specific to your dilemma - is the AI worth it? I absolutely think so. But they are heavy rifles so if you're thinking of taking one into the field to hunt with keep that in mind, I would not want to be carrying that 17lbs (with scope) beast around the Rocky Mountains where I hunt. But if you don't travel far from your vehicle when you hunt that may be a non issue for you.

Unless you plan on getting an AXMC then it seems logical you would keep your 300WM LRI as the AT is for short action cartridges. Just to help you with your decision, here's a couple pics

With 308 barrel
20200611_AIAT_ZCO_308_ 001.jpg

With 6.5 Creedmoor barrel
20201002_March_4.5-28x52_AIAT_6.5CM_008.jpg

You should read the book “the molecule of more” Its about dopamine and its effects on the brain. Very interesting read, and written in the malcolm gladwell style.

Basically in a nutshell thinking about things we want and how we can get them releases dopamine but once the item is acquired its time to think about something else because owning or using the item doesn’t trigger the dopamine release. For some people like myself it is an endless and expensive condition. Not sure i would change it if i could though.

First, the desire to consistently improve is not something that requires counseling. More people should have that kind of energy. That said, I admire your equipment and the only thing I would change is to drop that 300WM into a different stock, like the higher end KRG. I love the Bravo and I imagine it works great with that LRI rig. But an LRI 300WM just seems like it needs to be sitting in something a notch or two up.
Some of my favorite rifles are not the most expensive I own. The relationship means something. Call me crazy, but I get attached to the soul of my otherwise lifeless "things".
I hear you there. If I treated my relationships like I do my shooting gear I'd have 40 wives by now, but over 20 years and the same wife so I must be doing something right ;)

Reactions: jcam
^^^ Maybe we should just buy shots of dopamine :ROFLMAO:

I know a guy who can set you up with a drip of that magical juice.......
Its not as glorious as it sounds though and you dont really want it.

If you need to clear scope or accessories room to buy more to help your dopamine level, let me know. I live up in the west side of the Denver metro and will come down with my truck to haul them away.

your problem is you're looking through foggy, low-end, poor's glass.

Throw a ZCO, a Hensoldt, and a Tangent Theta on those rifles (at the VERY least a Kahles) and then look at your "problem" through some clear lenses.

I regret selling my GAP. I'd keep the GAP and LRI and sell the Tikka if anything. The Tikka is easier to replace if you regret getting rid of it.

Reactions: Stoweit
I know a guy who can set you up with a drip of that magical juice.......
Its not as glorious as it sounds though and you dont really want it.
No, been down that road before when I was a stupid teenager so don't care to do that again! Of course, I may have traded one addiction for another, not sure which one is more expensive but I certainly know which one is more healthy! :oops: :LOL:

If you need to clear scope or accessories room to buy more to help your dopamine level, let me know. I live up in the west side of the Denver metro and will come down with my truck to haul them away.
I have been addressing my dopamine levels, I just bought a TT and soon may have a Minox ZP5 up for sale, or maybe after I play with it a bit I will realize, why the heck did I just pay 2x the price of the ZP5 for a scope that gives me better mechanics but not much better optics... At least I'm not as bad as @jwknutson17 (sorry to pull you into this Jake) as I think he beats me with rifle and optics turnover :p

No, been down that road before when I was a stupid teenager so don't care to do that again! Of course, I may have traded one addiction for another, not sure which one is more expensive but I certainly know which one is more healthy! :oops: :LOL:

I have been addressing my dopamine levels, I just bought a TT and soon may have a Minox ZP5 up for sale, or maybe after I play with it a bit I will realize, why the heck did I just pay 2x the price of the ZP5 for a scope that gives me better mechanics but not much better optics... At least I'm not as bad as @jwknutson17 (sorry to pull you into this Jake) as I think he beats me with rifle and optics turnover :p

Its not my fault... the addiction is strong.

Its not my fault... the addiction is strong.
I've often thought of starting a Snipers Hide rehab clinic with multiple counseling sessions per rifle/scope
  • AI AT rifle = 10 sessions
  • AI AX rifle = 15 sessions
  • Schmidt & Bender scope = 5 sessions
  • ZCO scope = 8 sessions
  • TT scope = 10 sessions

First, the desire to consistently improve is not something that requires counseling. More people should have that kind of energy. That said, I admire your equipment and the only thing I would change is to drop that 300WM into a different stock, like the higher end KRG. I love the Bravo and I imagine it works great with that LRI rig. But an LRI 300WM just seems like it needs to be sitting in something a notch or two up.

Some of my favorite rifles are not the most expensive I own. The relationship means something. Call me crazy, but I get attached to the soul of my otherwise lifeless "things".

I agree on the stock for sure. Maybe part of the change up.

Also glass is important. Easier to have 2 nice ones than 3.

Sell Tikka - upgrade stock on LRI -upgrade glass on both possibly and have 6.5 barrel made for GAP.

Still have AI on the brain.

I agree on the stock for sure. Maybe part of the change up.

Also glass is important. Easier to have 2 nice ones than 3.

Sell Tikka - upgrade stock on LRI -upgrade glass on both possibly and have 6.5 barrel made for GAP.

Still have AI on the brain.
You could get a McMillan stock, depending on what you sell the rifle for, a 6.5 barrel, use stimulus for glass and call it a day

use stimulus for glass and call it a day
Stimulus?, that's right, congress should have sent every conservative 1000 rounds of 5.56 ammo, and every Lefty a bag of weed, that would be a better stimulus and everyone would be happy :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: jcam
Stimulus = Didn’t get shit last time and won’t get shit this time.
That AXMC could be a single rifle and one piece of glass 3 barrels and 2 bolts. Wonder what the total cost of that insanity would be?

My thoughts are simple. In these days and times don’t sell or give away ANYTHING firearm related. (Unless it is to a trusted family member who is in need). If you want another rifle and can find it for sale, buy it. But DON’T let anything in your possession get away.

Without getting political, these times are very unsettling with an air of really radical thinking too close to the national forefront.

I go through this/these issues all the time. Handguns-always n+1 until I realize I want something else and then use them to pay for other toys. Currently have an MWS and AI (308/260) pre14, hell a good shooters with multiple barrels etc and really no complaints. But I lust for a different rifle as I don't do PRS or other as I don't have the time and too many surgeries to have the ability. So I want a rifle that I like and can bang steel or whatever (not that the AI can't), lust after the GAP Thunder Ranch in 308 and get a 260 barrel for it. Such a PIA to sell and ship the AI and what price tag for the GAP but for what I do it will work. Oh well, always something.

My grandfather was a career officer in the Marines, and he told me about an opportunity he had to pick up 2 Thompson M1’s from Uncle Sam for an insultingly low price once when he was stepping off the boat back home. I think it was something like $50 a piece. I only heard the story from him one time. He declined since he was into single shots and muzzle loaders, and why would any decent shot need to fire that many bullets that quickly? A part of me died that day.

After hearing that story, here’s what I consider when I’m looking to pick up a new gun:
  1. Am I going to enjoy shooting/owning it (This is usually decided in about 10 seconds, and it sounds like you’ve got that part covered, too)?
  2. Is this particular firearm something that I would like to pass down to someone in ? If not, it’s trading fodder.
  3. Is this going to be an item that is potentially tougher to come by in the future?
With that in mind, what are you going to enjoy shooting the most, and what would like to be able to hand down to someone?

OP, you are not alone, I call this Snipers Hide syndrome and find the more time I spend on this accursed site the more stuff I buy, or want or... I will tell you this, earlier this year I bought my first AI, an AT that shot amazing, then I had an opportunity to buy another "newer" AT so sold the not so old one to get a newer one with skins I really like. Right now I have two barrels, a 20" 308 AI bbl and a 26" SJA 6.5 Creedmoor barrel, the Creedmoor is the newest addition and I've been consistently shooting the best groups I've ever shot with that combo. But now I'm thinking of getting a magnum bolt face from TrophyHunter and spinning up a 7 SAUM barrel, but my buddy swears by his 25 Creedmoor that ballistically matches my 7 SAUM pretty far out, and just the other day I was pondering a 284 Win and whether or not I could get enough speed in my short action for that to be worth it... while thinking of all of this I realized that I love how good my 6.5 Creedmoor shoots so why on earth am I even thinking about another cartridge especially now when components are so hard to come by - it's because we have a disease for the "next shiny thing" that is a product of our consumerist society that specifically markets to our appetite for newer and better.

Specific to your dilemma - is the AI worth it? I absolutely think so. But they are heavy rifles so if you're thinking of taking one into the field to hunt with keep that in mind, I would not want to be carrying that 17lbs (with scope) beast around the Rocky Mountains where I hunt. But if you don't travel far from your vehicle when you hunt that may be a non issue for you.

Unless you plan on getting an AXMC then it seems logical you would keep your 300WM LRI as the AT is for short action cartridges. Just to help you with your decision, here's a couple pics

With 308 barrel
View attachment 7515474

With 6.5 Creedmoor barrel
View attachment 7515476

Those skins look great, did you use Krylon or something more durable?

F#$& I have this same issue classic it’s finally come up. My rifles are customs I’ve built but thinking I would also love that AI and I contemplate selling everything but then I think about how hard I’ve worked to get these rifles, and how much they mean to me. Another thing stopping me (and a good reason) is that I live in what’s called a nanny state NSW Australia where I’m pretty sure an AIAX etc will soon be deemed to threatening to look at and looks like a military rifle..... as they have already done with the desert techs in our state. See we have dummies here in government making decisions that have no understanding on firearms, if we ban these certain guns then the criminal element can’t get there hands on them, dumbasses....straight pull shotguns are on chopping blocks atm. Anyway sorry for the rant. Mate I’ve come to realise I have some nice rifles as you do and they mean a lot so selling them would bring some level of regret either big or small. So my thinking is I’d love an AIAT but life s not a race and I try to keep telling myself there’s no rush (as impossible as this is) and one day I will have my AI as my next rifle. Great post from the OP a lot of us can relate. Cheers

Hi, and welcome, please have a seat. There is coffee and donuts in the back. I'll kick things off and get us started:
Hi, my names Kevin and I'm an addict.
You see it all started about 40 years ago when my father bought me my first rifle................

😉
(It was a Savage .22/410 over under by the way)

No kids for me ever!!!my gear will be dispersed to friends or young shooters or clubs. I hate the idea of inheritance.

Ok, keep the LRI, for $6500 you can either get a AT and a few barrels or do a custom switch barrel build. The AT seems to be what you want, so get it. Wait tell tax time to sell your stuff, you'll get more. And I hope to have $2200 when you post your GAP. 😁

Last edited:
Hi, and welcome, please have a seat. There is coffee and donuts in the back. I'll kick things off and get us started:
Hi, my names Kevin and I'm an addict.
You see it all started about 40 years ago when my father bought me my first rifle................

😉
(It was a Savage .22/410 over under by the way)
My brother still has my grandfather's .22/410 over under, I loved that rifle!

I didn’t read every post of this thread so forgive me if it’s been covered.

I went from a decent 243 gap build and added a sac 300WM from here on the hide and a couple others to selling everything to get an AI and then an AIMC and then an AT. Yes, I had the AI trifecta for a while. They are great, shoot awesome but have sold them all and went back to custom to get exactly what I want. Multiple rifles and scopes in my safe and still not satisfied so to say. Have a 1/4moa dasher wearing a TT 5-25 and want a BRA cuz it might be better. It never ends! Although I’d say my Gap 300 norma is awesome as is the 6.5 saum. Both way less money than an AI! It’s a fun hobby and run through stuff as you need to!