• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

So, I went to Gander Mtn today and

dtkutchu

Private
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2010
Macomb, MI
I picked up a savage 11 for the fun of it to feel the action on it, and it was the most amazing thing I have ever felt (with 1 exception of course). Is the action on the Savage 10 as smooth as the 11? If so, that solidifies my thoughts on going with it as my rifle.

Re: So, I went to Gander Mtn today and

I may be in the minority on this one but I actually prefer the FEEL of a Savage action to a Remington. The Remington has much more aftermarket support and one could argue that it's a more accurate action (most custom builds are based on a 700 action, after all) but the feel and even the audible sound from the Savage is very hard to beat, IMO.

That said, I have a Savage 110 in 308 as well as a 700 SPS Tac in 308 and the Remington is getting all the attention for my current custom build while the Savage is collecting dust.

I've also read that as far as FEEL, the Tikka actions are smooth as butter, although I've only had a few minutes in a local Gander Mtn to play around with it. I also cannot speak for it's accuracy or consistency.

Actually, the Tikka rifles are very accurate out of the box. I also like the action a bit better than the Remy's. The only thing is that the after markert products for the Tikka rifles are a bit limited compared to the Remy.

I have 3 savage actions compared to my one remington...I would have to argue that my sendero action action is by far smoother than any savage I own. One particular savage action has the hardest bolt lift I could imagine...

My 700 action that came from a sps varmint is pretty sloppy. Did I just get a bad action or what?... I don't really have anything to compare it to, it's my first bolt gun.

I have 4 Savages. I really don't care about having a smooth action like the 700 as long as it isn't as bad as a Mosin Nagant action. I am getting bolt lift kits for them though, I am tired of that aspect.

Next time you're in there hold the muzzle up just over 45 degrees on each of the rifles you try. Lift the bolt handles and see which ones open the most by gravity alone. Just something interesting to try.

Picking a rifle based on how smooth the bolt is is akin to buying a car because it looks fast in the parking lot.

A smooth action comes from thousands and thousands of bolt cycles, regardless of the manufacturer. Metal will smooth metal out and eventually wear any rough spots down.

I must be spoiled...

Even a brand new Rem 700 action is smoother than my Savage 10 with a few hundred rounds through it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Picking a rifle based on how smooth the bolt is is akin to buying a car because it looks fast in the parking lot.

A smooth action comes from thousands and thousands of bolt cycles, regardless of the manufacturer. Metal will smooth metal out and eventually wear any rough spots down. </div></div>

What he said. An action can feel smooth as glass but if it can't put the bullet where you want then it's useless.

It seems as there's some variation within manufacturers. My Savage has one of the smoothest actions I've ever felt, but a lot here say there's is stiff. Likewise, my 700 action is stiffer than my Mosin Nagant, which I lucked out on because the bolt operates like a greased pig.

my 700 shoots better groups than my Savage 8 days a week so take that for what it's worth.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adam B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">when is hugo stiglitz going to become a member? </div></div>

As soon as you have that Swastika removed from your forehead I'm sure he will show up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Picking a rifle based on how smooth the bolt is is akin to buying a car because it looks fast in the parking lot.

A smooth action comes from thousands and thousands of bolt cycles, regardless of the manufacturer. Metal will smooth metal out and eventually wear any rough spots down. </div></div>

I am not nearly naive enough to pick my rifle solely on the feel of the action. I have several reasons for going with the savage, but wanted to feel the bolt lift and action to see what I was in for. Since Gander Mountain has a plethora of rifles, I thought it would be a good place to stop and check everything out at. I am aware that the smoothness of the action can be attributed to many different factors, but I was just interested in establishing a decent base for my concerns.

I def. like the way my Savage shoots circles around my Rem 700 each out of the box, but Rem def has more parts availability and doesnt have the action size issues that the savages have.
and not to mention may savage 10fp is smoother than the rem out of the box but any 'smith worth his salt can make an action smooth so I wouldn't base much on this .02

Holy cow! I love to hear dis-information at it's best. The smoothness of action comes from the same issue in both the Remingtons and Savages. They both come from the pin that holds the firing pin being reset. It isn't like one company or the other goes overboard to smooth that surface out. It is one of the things a good custom guy will do though.
FWIW, the difference between the Savage and the Remington is the floating head vs. solid head. One could say either of those issues if done wrong could be the reason for stiffness when chambering a round. And possibly bolt lift, if you didn't take care of your rifle.

I don't know what others do to smooth out a Remington but Kevin Rayhill down at Stockade stocks has a plate and ballbearing for the Savage that greatly reduces bolt lift after firing.

The thing that gets me, is the last rifle that I bought was a Stevens. And that rifle had the slickest action of any I have ever owned or shot, and it had NO modifications to it... it was brand spankin new. And no, it doesn't make it more accurate.

Rifles are as different as people. Some are smooth, and some couldn't be smooth if they tried. Such as it goes...

DK

Yup. That's most of the bolt lift issues in bolt action rifles. If it was the lugs then they'd be just as hard to turn down when chambering a cartridge. If the Savage bolt head was a turn off then it wouldn't even come close to headspacing. And it can't be a half a turn off as the lugs won't work that way. There is a groove on the right lug that matches a 'guide-rail' on the action. The left lug doesn't have a matching notch.

This is a thrust bearing kit being installed on my Savage build... Is this the one you speak of?
cid_AD92DA1E3EF5452F93FB7A72B0A3FE4BSeanPC.jpg

cid_C9BC089ADA2748C39D88ADD9580CDB56SeanPC.jpg

I can think of a lot of adjectives to describe the Savages I've used, including the one I owned, but smooth is definitely not one of them.

IMHO, Savages were a good idea when they were still cheaper than Remingtons, but at current prices, the 700 stomps the Savage in terms of 'bang fer yer buck'.

-matt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bear_blade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is a thrust bearing kit being installed on my Savage build... Is this the one you speak of?
cid_AD92DA1E3EF5452F93FB7A72B0A3FE4BSeanPC.jpg

cid_C9BC089ADA2748C39D88ADD9580CDB56SeanPC.jpg
</div></div>

Bear_blade,

Very much like it. He uses just one bearing in a plate. And it works slick.