• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

so if a guy wanted some custom screws made.....

myronman3

deez nuts
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2017
Ft. Benning School for Wayward Boys
so i have a ruger blackhawk that i am customizing. i've done everything with my hand tools up until now, my next step i need some guidance on and figured the folks here might be able to point me in the right direction.

there are five screws that hold the frame on. two of the five are identical; the other 3 are each different. the issue is (like most revolvers) the flat screw heads. they are the stupidest thing ever, and most manufacturers stay with them. dan wesson, and magnum research are the only two i know of that was smart enough to use allen screws instead of flat tip trash. and for those thinking "use the right screw driver and this wont be an issue"....not the case. the fucking things deform even with me being very careful.

the solution here is to use either an allen head or torx screws and alter them to fit. at least that's what i am thinking. if there is a better option, i'm all ears.

i know there are guys here with the skills that can point me in the right direction. any and all help is appreciated.

so far, i've done the free spawl (super simple), put custom elk grips on it, dovetailed an old ivory sight, slicked up the action, and fitted a bisley hammer to it. replacing the shit screws that come with it is next on my hit list.
F39D4B0E-4252-4752-BCCA-F503E9FB4298.jpeg

if it's made still these guys probably sell it or know who does .

also have you tried calling or emailing the company that made it if you have not it might just be another option .

Reactions: Jaybird 220
If you can't find them you can find a local machine shop to make them for you as long as you have dimensions.

Your screwed.

Check with LRI he built a custom wood tap while doing my rifle to pre tap for a wood thread.

Making screws used to be Gunsmith 101 for gunsmiths.

Than along came Eli Whitney.

Screws are easy enough to make slotted, but once broaching a hex or torx head comes in, that's gonna be rough....unless you can find a screw with the drive style you want in the pitch you need....then it's just contouring and cutting on the lathe.

well, there's this (yes, they are slotted):

They also have this:

There are these in Jolly Olde England:

If your right screwdriver is messing up the screws, it's not the right screwdriver.

That aside, you could buy a whole lot of factory screws and replace them every time you remove them for what custom screws will likely cost.

If your right screwdriver is messing up the screws, it's not the right screwdriver.
Not necessarily, I have had several Uberti Rifles that the screws are made of a soft steel and they are extremely tight. So bad that you will booger them with the proper hollow ground bit. Several suppliers are now selling replacement hardened screw kits for them.

I don’t know about Allen head screws, but Gun Parts Corp. does have factory screws. I found on my Uberti that the Lever and Carrier spring screws were the same size as Leupold ring screws.

You might also check the specialty screw selection at your local ACE Hardware, you could be surprised at what you find.

Reactions: lash
If your right screwdriver is messing up the screws, it's not the right screwdriver

That aside, you could buy a whole lot of factory screws and replace them every time you remove them for what custom screws will likely cost.
you have an excellent point....but i would really like allen head screws like magnum research uses.
My first thought too

i am very careful to match the screwdriver with the screw head. do you really think i'd take the time to hand file a dovetail into the sight base, fit the bisley hammer completely by hand, hand sand the grips down to match the frame exactly, but neglect to fit the right screwdriver to the screw? i think the original screw slots are tapered instead of being cut straight. i can also tell you that are NOT stainless screws...they are coated with something to make them look stainless.

i appreciate all the insight. and i'll confess, i'd the same thought about the screws....but when you look at the entire picture, me half-assing the screwdriver to screw fit just doesnt make sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: Haney
you have an excellent point....but i would really like allen head screws like magnum research uses.

i am very careful to match the screwdriver with the screw head. do you really think i'd take the time to hand file a dovetail into the sight base, fit the bisley hammer completely by hand, hand sand the grips down to match the frame exactly, but neglect to fit the right screwdriver to the screw? i think the original screw slots are tapered instead of being cut straight. i can also tell you that are NOT stainless screws...they are coated with something to make them look stainless.

i appreciate all the insight. and i'll confess, i'd the same thought about the screws....but when you look at the entire picture, me half-assing the screwdriver to screw fit just doesnt make sense.
Great job ! It shows you are going the extra mile to make this one special . Of course you get the negative crap from the same old dicks . They just look to find fault , either out of ignorance or jealousy...makes them feel bigger I guess ? Keep us posted on your progress .