• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

So it may not be "all day long", but apparently it is capable, which I didn't expect.

ChrisBCS

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2014
Not a load I had worked up, but I took 3% off the charge of a good load to plink and fire form some new brass. I shot this group. And then decided to quit shooting for good ;)

14852819605_ef24b57e72_o.jpg

So, it's not all day long 1/2 moa, but it is capable if the stars align. I was actually pretty sure I would never get it past 3/4 MOA in its current config.

These two groups were last week:

14824277673_1aec060e17_z.jpg

Now if only I hadn't walked them side to side... hmm.

This is the 1984 department store package R700 in .30-06 Sprg, nothing but a float and a glass bed.

14542444936_46dd26e86f_z.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Thanks, Dan. I promise to stop spamming the board with it now.

I highly doubt that :D. Seriously, good shooting. I am not surprised at all, I have owned several 700 sporters that would do it if the shooter could.

Part of your horizontal stringing is probably due to you trying to steer the rifle to your POA instead of adjusting the rifle in the rest to a natural POA.
It is easier said than done, but once you figure it out it may just cut .125-.250 off your group size.

I like seeing posts about that rifle. I have a twin to it. Mine likes light as well as heavy loads. Try some 110g Sierra Varminters and some 155s with reduced charge of 4895. Low recoil and you can shoot that light sporter and not get fatigued.

Hahah, thanks guys. I'm getting ready to do an OCW test with 175 gr SMKs and this nice new fire formed brass. Time to start working on reaching out past 100...

Nice rifle. Looking forward to seeing how it does with the 175gr SMK's, the fire-formed brass, and longer range! :D

Love it!! Wood and scope!! Ol guns rock as well.... here is my "thumper" .30-06 an old German 8mm converted to .30-06, this is just after i had it reblued and rebeded for a "whopping" $140! That guy is no longer around....I wish he was!! It aint pretty but she shoots nice! has a set trigger in OZs....stupid light.

IM000690.jpg

IM000692.jpg

Ahh the German double sets! A friend of mine has a Steyr SSG with the double set I'm going to get to try here in a few weeks. And is that a Mauser action? Purty!

Last edited:
Ahh the German double sets! A friend of mine has a Steyr SSG with the double set I'm going to get to try here in a few weeks. And is that a Mauser action? Purty!

Ya, pull the rear to set the front. Never measured it, but it is stupid light. Or pull the front like normal and it feels like 3-4lbs. I want to break it out now after watching your threads.