• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SO M1A Socom help

cundiff5535

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2012
Mokena IL
I am looking for feedback regarding a SA M1A Socom rifle. I have always wanted a Sage EBR grey navy seal chassis as well... Thoughts if this is an ideal setup?? Any help is appreciated.

Also the M1A would be acquired in a trade for a POF 415 rifle. I have no 308's and about 6 ar rifles.

All thoughts and help would be awesome

Last edited:
"Ideal" is relative. If you're looking to blast shit at a couple hundred yards, then yes. If you're wanting precision, I wouldn't go that route. Too many better options out there such as LRB to chase accuracy on that specific rifle. On the other hand, if you are wanting 308 semi auto precision, go for something on the AR-10 platform.

If you have your heart set on an M1A, I would suggest getting a National Match version vs. a Socom 16 in a Sage EBR chassis.
Will be a better shooter, hold it's value much better, and cost less. WIN-WIN-WIN.

Won't look as "tacticool," but you have all your AR's for that :)

I am looking for feedback regarding a SA M1A Socom rifle. I have always wanted a Sage EBR grey navy seal chassis as well... Thoughts if this is an ideal setup?? Any help is appreciated.

Also the M1A would be acquired in a trade for a POF 415 rifle. I have no 308's and about 6 ar rifles.

All thoughts and help would be awesome

You're trading a POF 223 for a socom?

FWIW my personal opinion is that the socom is a hunk of shit. A carbine AR10 is so much better that it's not even funny. If you want an M1A get a NM in a wood stock. They are more accurate, get you that classic 'battle rifle' look and they are more accurate.

Last edited:
FWIW my personal opinion is that the socom is a hunk of shit. A carbine AR10 is so much better that it's not even funny. If you want an M1A get a NM in a wood stock. They are more accurate, get you that classic 'battle rifle' look and they are more accurate.

I love M1as and M14s but I'm going to have to agree with this here. I just finished building an 18.5" custom on an LRB receiver. It won't do anything a DPMS G2 won't do. (Except the M14sa was cheaper, but only because I had most of the parts lying around). I am regretting not using the receiver to make another classic rifle.

ETA: Might want to change title to "SOCOM" instead of "Sodom". I don't like SOCOMs, but not that badly.

The title is appropriate in this case. Prepare your wallet for sodomizing.

The 16" SOCOM M1A is probably one of the worst interpretations of the M14, especially with rails. Take a rifle that had good balance to it, and place all the weight forward, then add bulk to it. It makes no sense from a human interface standpoint.

I like the feel of the 18" Scout with a conventional stock, but I'll probably never own one. I've lived and deployed with M14's and M21's, and I just don't have the love for them that they need to keep them chugging.

I have a nice M1a Scout which I keep for sentimental reasons. I upgrade about five parts and get some acceptable accuracy. Problem is that the rifle was not designed for an optic. Second problem is it was designed to be a rugged battle rifle not a tack driver. I love my M1a all the way back to 1968 when they took away my M14 and gave me an M16.
Now days I have an AR10 and when I get it dialed in it stays dialed in. The M1A has a mind of its own sometimes.
If you want a tack driver you want a bolt rifle and if you want a self loading semi auto you probably should get an AR10. If you have several rifles or if you had an M14 during the service you may want to get an M1a. If it were me I would get a Scout or a Loaded and stick with a traditional style stock. By the time you spend the money on a ERB you could get a nice JP Enterprises or GA autoloader that will be a lot less frustrations.
All that being said I love my M1a Scout.

I had a Socom 16 for a few years. It was very reliable and ate everything I fed it. The thing I didn't like was the front sight. Very thick and would completely cover a target past 50 yrds or so.

I agree with others here; if you want an M14, get the Scout version. I have three, one in a Blackfeather stock from M14.ca, one in a Vltor, and one that will be in USGI walnut whenever I finally put it together. The first two are Springfields, the last one is a JRA forged receiver with a 18" Chrome lined Criterion barrel and a TRW parts kit. What ever M14 you buy, you absolutely must shim the gas system and add a NM spring guide. If it is a Springfield, you need to change the extractor and the hammer to USGI parts as they WILL fail at some point even if it is a brand new Loaded model. People think these guns are problematic because they don't understand how they work nor how to work on them. Once you know how to work on them and what to tweak, I have found them to be ridiculously reliable. My Blackfeather will put mil-surplus ammo into 2" mag after mag......thats 20 round mag after 20 round mag. If I want it to shoot smaller groups, I load 155 Nosler CC or 168 CC and it will shoot between 1"-1.5". The best scope mount for them is the Bassett Low Picatiny and no matter what you do, if you scope it, you will need a cheek riser to get a proper cheek weld. TacPro makes a great adjustable one as does Bradley.

Yes, it is my understanding, not experience, that most of the time you can pull an AR-10 out of the box, lube it, run good ammo through it, and expect it to shoot less than 1.5" groups with little to no trouble. But you have AR's and you are looking for something classic; there's nothing quite like a good M14 for that!

How's that for my first post here; I'm new here, but not new over at M14forum.

Good luck with your choice.

Last edited:
I love my SOCOM 16, the original one not the II. That being said I use it for its best suited purpose, a Bush rifle. I find it balances well, shoots quick and takes a beating. I have taken deer, pigs and yotes with it, not at long range but with devastating results. I like the factory fat front sight, but again it suits my purpose for quick short to mid range shots. As for the stock I prefer the traditional style one that comes on it. The EBR chassis is a good, solid piece of gear but I wouldn't want to hump my SOCOM in one, the accuracy you gain, if any from the stock will be offset by the short factory barrel, wide sight blade and hard pulling factory trigger.

SOCOMs are fun! Like others mentioned, they are not precision firearms though. They offer great stress relief if you want to "plink" with a high power rifle.
There are a couple of smaller companies that assemble similar carbines on the M1A platform with higher quality parts that claim to offer better accuracy. check out M14 Forum - M14 Forum for M14 M1A Rifles