• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes So many Kahles for sale....whats up?

Haven't used em yet bud, but yeah i could see myself liking ZCO a lot but don't feel like taking the hit and spending more for one plus rings. I do like that reticle and the new Mil-XT from NF. Also and this could be frowned upon but i was disappointed seeing people say it didn't match TT. That was the entire premise of the optic to me at least in my mind. Otherwise i'd just stick in the price range i'm in with Schmidt, Kahles, NF, etc. I do think paying retail for a k525i is hard to do but you can usually have them below that by picking up the phone. One day though i'll probably switch or retire the K525i to another rifle, but it's going to be post school lol.
My k525 is now dedicated for vudoo22 and hunting rifle....:)

Reactions: 5RWill
Because they released two new reticles with .2 mil wind holds that everyone wants.

What's a good deal on a used razor 4.5-27 now days? The bunch that I've seen for sale haven't been too competitively priced compared to new.

Think the sell off will affect the used value of the scopes at all?

For a EBR-2C I'd say around 1650 is fair used in good condition. If you want the new reticle expect to pay just a bit under retail. The new reticle will no be affected by the used scopes on the market now. However Vortex did lower the MSRP of the scope by 500 dollars. That obviously will impact resale value. Dollar for dollar, and in my personal opinion, nothing comes close to the Gen 2 Razor in terms of overall value. This is comparing new street prices. Used opens a lot more options.

If weight is not an issue the Gen2 razor is an outstanding scope.And less cash than it was a couple years ago.

For a EBR-2C I'd say around 1650 is fair used in good condition. If you want the new reticle expect to pay just a bit under retail. The new reticle will no be affected by the used scopes on the market now. However Vortex did lower the MSRP of the scope by 500 dollars. That obviously will impact resale value. Dollar for dollar, and in my personal opinion, nothing comes close to the Gen 2 Razor in terms of overall value. This is comparing new street prices. Used opens a lot more options.
I agree that $1650 is what they've been going for. But you can get them for under $1800 new. I sure wouldn't pay 95% of the new price for a used scope. The used ones would have to be down at $1400-$1500 to interest me compared to <$1800 for a new one.

Reactions: treillw
I agree that $1650 is what they've been going for. But you can get them for under $1800 new. I sure wouldn't pay 95% of the new price for a used scope. The used ones would have to be down at $1400-$1500 to interest me compared to <$1800 for a new one.

I've seen new as low as $1650. New reticles.

Right? I’ll buy 3 at that price. Fuck the zcomp

Edit: never mind. I thought this was a Kahles thread. I could care less about vortex.

Last edited:

At some point used prices go low enough that people will keep them before they take too big a loss.

At that point, a buyer has to decide if saving $150-$200 is worth it.

They were selling for 18/1900 used when you could get them for 2k-2100. Roughly the same % off used vs new as now.

Obviously new reticles excluded at the moment.

Reactions: generalzip
At some point used prices go low enough that people will keep them before they take too big a loss.

At that point, a buyer has to decide if saving $150-$200 is worth it.

They were selling for 18/1900 used when you could get them for 2k-2100. Roughly the same % off used vs new as now.

Obviously new reticles excluded at the moment.
Yeah, and I would have never considered the 1800-1900 used price either.

I think it speaks mostly to Vortex warranty & customer service. Other brands do not hold value like that IMHO.

Got behind a Minox today most notably the FOV was massive compared to my 525. CA control was better though Kahles had little to none as well. IQ below 20x was hard to pick it apart. Past 20x or on the high end it goes to Minox. DOF was also in Minox's favor. Lol i want a ZP5 now.

Got behind a Minox today most notably the FOV was massive compared to my 525. CA control was better though Kahles had little to none as well. IQ below 20x was hard to pick it apart. Past 20x or on the high end it goes to Minox. DOF was also in Minox's favor. Lol i want a ZP5 now.

Wait until you get behind a TT :). Personally I preferred the ZP5 over the K525. The used prices on ZP5's are going for now are extremely attractive.

I agree with most of your assessment, but I thought the ZP5 handled CA better than K525. My K525 had slight amounts, my ZP5 had none.

Wait until you get behind a TT :). Personally I preferred the ZP5 over the K525. The used prices on ZP5's are going for now are extremely attractive.

I agree with most of your assessment, but I thought the ZP5 handled CA better than K525. My K525 had slight amounts, my ZP5 had none.

I thought that's what i said ha. ZP5 had none Kahles had just a little. It was worded poorly i guess. Yeah it has me thinking but idk probably hard to offload a K525 at this point for any return investment.

Financially speaking i don't need to walk anywhere near a TT lol

Call Scott at Liberty Optics for a deal on a Razor.

As far as the Minox goes I agree the glass was better than my K525i but for those turrets they can keep it. The controls on the Kahles feel too notch. (I do have a spinner lever on my parallax lol).

I will say i haven’t found a turret i like more than my kahles. But the Minox turrets were very meh. Glass quality from 5-20 is a wash. Fov is the main reason I’d want to move away from the kahles.

I agree minox probably got the edge on glass (CA) and FOV but i like the turrets on my k525 and the compactness vs minox 5-25
If i want to upgrade my k525 to a longer 5-25 then id go with sb over minox... with those new reticle sb just released or even horus

Reactions: generalzip
I agree minox probably got the edge on glass (CA) and FOV but i like the turrets on my k525 and the compactness vs minox 5-25
If i want to upgrade my k525 to a longer 5-25 then id go with sb over minox... with those new reticle sb just released or even horus

What reticles the grid?

Reactions: bjay
I will say i haven’t found a turret i like more than my kahles. But the Minox turrets were very meh. Glass quality from 5-20 is a wash. Fov is the main reason I’d want to move away from the kahles.

Then def don't go near a TT haha. On a serious note though I thought mechanically Kahles is one of the best packages even in this price range. Optically I think it's one of the worst in this price range IMO. It's still "good", but for $2800+ it better be great.

As far as turrets Schmidt DT are probably some of the crispest clicks aside from TT. The spacing is just close but you get used to it. The NF and kahles I felt are similar, but I've felt differences between samples of ATACRS.

Then def don't go near a TT haha. On a serious note though I thought mechanically Kahles is one of the best packages even in this price range. Optically I think it's one of the worst in this price range IMO. It's still "good", but for $2800+ it better be great.

As far as turrets Schmidt DT are probably some of the crispest clicks aside from TT. The spacing is just close but you get used to it. The NF and kahles I felt are similar, but I've felt differences between samples of ATACRS.
It would be good to clarify "which" Schmidt DT turrets, the ones on my Ultra Short 3-20 with 18 mil per rev were some of the worst I've experienced, Kahles was definitely better in this regard.

What is/are you dont like about 3-20us im thinking of buying one with h59
The only thing I did not like was the turrets and I should qualify by saying the 18 mil turrets because I had the Ultra Short 3-20 with 14 mil turrets last year and thought they weren't that bad, but the new 18 mil turrets have hardly no audible click to them and are so close together it was hard to discern what I dialed if I wasn't looking at them. Turret feel is very subjective and I used to not care that much, but I tried to like the Schmidt 18mil DT turrets and just couldn't, obviously YMMV and some may not be bothered at all and may actually prefer them. The video above gives you a quick peek along with being able to hear the sound of the clicks between the Schmidt and the Kahles, hard to tell from a video but the Kahles is clearly more audible and the markers are better defined - meaning it is easier to dial the Kahles without looking and be able to count your clicks.

Reactions: bjay
The only thing I did not like was the turrets and I should qualify by saying the 18 mil turrets because I had the Ultra Short 3-20 with 14 mil turrets last year and thought they weren't that bad, but the new 18 mil turrets have hardly no audible click to them and are so close together it was hard to discern what I dialed if I wasn't looking at them. Turret feel is very subjective and I used to not care that much, but I tried to like the Schmidt 18mil DT turrets and just couldn't, obviously YMMV and some may not be bothered at all and may actually prefer them. The video above gives you a quick peek along with being able to hear the sound of the clicks between the Schmidt and the Kahles, hard to tell from a video but the Kahles is clearly more audible and the markers are better defined - meaning it is easier to dial the Kahles without looking and be able to count your clicks.
Hmmm now the more i cant wait that 4-20 zcomp

One will dream for people to resell em for dirt cheap. Then I'd bite and see what the whole khales talk is about

Just looked at the FOV comparison of the K525 to ZP5... maybe it's just that the image seems larger on the ZP5 but they're literally a tenth of a meter apart. Roughly a three inch difference at 100m on 25x i guess that translates to a varying degree at distance but not nearly as bad as i thought at least on paper. Obviously there is the noted effect when behind the optics.

Last edited:
Just looked at the FOV comparison of the K525 to ZP5... maybe it's just that the image seems larger on the ZP5 but they're literally a tenth of a meter apart. Roughly a three inch difference at 100m on 25x i guess that translates to a varying degree at distance but not nearly as bad as i thought at least on paper. Obviously there is the noted effect when behind the optics.
I would suspect that the DOF makes the FOV feel larger

I was able to pick up one (SKMR3) from the PX last week and I love it. Wouldn't have been able to afford a new one...

I picked my 6-24 SKMR3 and Spuhr rings off the PX also about a month back. Awesome scope and reticle. I dig it!

My kahles gets smoke FOV wise compared to my Schmidt and NF.

Edit: remove with corrected info

Last edited:
Here’s pics I shared in another thread of the 525 kahles against a Schmidt and NF 7-35. It’s noticably smaller compared to the other 2.
Edit: removed comment on Minox after previous comment corrected

Attachments

• 90BFCB35-EE2A-43F2-A563-F13887D7FE8D.png
    90BFCB35-EE2A-43F2-A563-F13887D7FE8D.png
    5.5 MB · Views: 135
  • 10013951-3BF4-418B-B82D-FAB83347925D.png
    10013951-3BF4-418B-B82D-FAB83347925D.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 145
  • 5C44DBBC-9845-45CC-9B43-F9B0B6A54342.png
    5C44DBBC-9845-45CC-9B43-F9B0B6A54342.png
    5.2 MB · Views: 140
  • 00BB2E25-AA51-45C7-8564-3EDC3C172628.png
    00BB2E25-AA51-45C7-8564-3EDC3C172628.png
    5.2 MB · Views: 154
  • 22546DC6-20F2-476B-AB39-AA11420D4620.png
    22546DC6-20F2-476B-AB39-AA11420D4620.png
    5.3 MB · Views: 144
  • B6DCE688-60F9-43A2-8599-1A0F349473E5.png
    B6DCE688-60F9-43A2-8599-1A0F349473E5.png
    5.4 MB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Reactions: 762by51
@generalzip He stated he misspoke, about the Minox FOV. The ZP5 FOV is massive. How about you fact check a little bit?

Minox ZP5 5-25 is 24.93’ /5.25’ at 109.63 yards

Kahles 5-25 is 21.7’/4.4’ at 100 yards

S&B PMII is 17.38’ /4.92’ at 100 yards

Nightforce 7-35 is 15’/3.4’ at 100 yards

Fact check? I was basing off of what the above guy said comparing the two? He said they are a tenth of a meter apart. Also your NF numbers are at 35x fyi. I sold my Minoxs so don't have them to compare anymore.

Why the attitude?

Fact check? I was basing off of what the above guy said comparing the two? He said they are a tenth of a meter apart. Also your NF numbers are at 35x fyi. I sold my Minoxs so don't have them to compare anymore.

Why the attitude?

Yup, NF is at 7 and 35.

The other numbers still give you an idea

Sold my Minox also, to upgrade to TT

Why the attitude?

To clarify it was just worded poorly didn't really misspeak. But yeah the FOV on the Minox is larger than all three. It's right there with the 624i. I'd consider selling my Kahles for one if i could get turrets equivalent to my Kahles. The turrets on the ZP5 i handled were meh to say the least.

Totally agree. I had one that was total mush and another that didn't line up. The Kahles has great turrets.

Once I get my Kahles back from ILya I'll have to throw it up next to my Minox ZP5 like I did with the Schmidt Ultra Short 3-20. I'm assuming/hoping the K318i turrets are close to the K525i turrets. 5RWill, it's interesting, I have seen you and others mentioned the ZP5 turrets are meh while mine have been very decent, makes me wonder if Minox has different versions they've sent out, similar to the 2nd rev situation where early models were a lot more difficult between 1st and 2nd rev. It would take a lot to pry the ZP5 out of my hands :)

What thread was this on previously? That is a sweet chart to reference Spife, thank you. That XTR III 5.5-30 is looking better and better, man I really hope that scope delivers optically.
This thread: Technical Scope Question by subwrx

And just to show the back ground, so hopefully if I am off base I can be corrected, here are the formulas

Min and Max Linear FOV are published
I converted some from meter@100m to feet@100 yards, most are published with feet and yards though. S&B 5-25 is 5.3 meters fov @ 100 meters at 5x. Thats 5.3*3.28=17.3885' at 100 meters, multiply it by .9144 to get it to yards and you end up with 15.9'@100yards. 25x is 1.5 meters, thats 4.9 feet@ 100 meters x .9144=4.48'@ 100 yards.

Angular FOV is derived from this article https://www.opticsden.com/what-is-field-of-view/ which claims that 1 angular degree is equal to 52.5'@1000 yards, a tenth of that gets you to 5.25'@100 yards.

Apparent FOV is magnification*real FOV

Apparent FOV @ 20x to get them all to the same baseline I took the a max magnification and divided it by 20 to scale all of it to the same level and then multiplied it against the apparent FOV at max magnification.

We will have some here on Monday :devilish:

Reactions: kl7883