• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes So, what about Leupold Mark 5 ?

I asked in a FB group but didn't get much feedback. Is there any consensus on image quality between the 3-18 and the 5-25? It seems the 5-25 would be better because they didn't have to compromise to make it a certain size. Is there really any downside to going 3-18 besides the lower magnification?

-Dan

I have both, the difference if any is not significant. I do notice the eye box is slightly better on the 5-25, but not much. I really like both scopes.

I have both, the difference if any is not significant. I do notice the eye box is slightly better on the 5-25, but not much. I really like both scopes.
It’s strange how some scopes are easier to get behind even when the mag, objective, & exit pupil are the same. I often wonder if ocular size, or fog has something to do with it, like I have an easier time getting behind an elcan spectrDR that has a slightly larger ocular but the same mag & objective as the trijicon acog 4x32

It’s strange how some scopes are easier to get behind even when the mag, objective, & exit pupil are the same. I often wonder if ocular size, or fog has something to do with it, like I have an easier time getting behind an elcan spectrDR that has a slightly larger ocular but the same mag & objective as the trijicon acog 4x32
Fov not fog

I was able to check out a Mk5 HD recently and was rather impressed. However, I think Leupold is still a bit too proud of their products. I think that scope would be a contender at about 14-1500.00. A good competitor with the Bushnell DMR's.

Reactions: Steel+Killer
I was able to check out a Mk5 HD recently and was rather impressed. However, I think Leupold is still a bit too proud of their products. I think that scope would be a contender at about 14-1500.00. A good competitor with the Bushnell DMR's.
Which one did you see the 18x or the 25x because I like the 25x a little better

I saw the 5-25. It had their CCH reticle in it which actually looked pretty good. I thought the turrets were pretty good. I normally stay away from getting into the whole glass clarity and turret tactility talk because I believe those issues are rather subjective. Seems like a well-built optic overall. Grab one up and let us know how it is.

Me & a sportsman’s wherehouse employee to a couple of demos outside we saw some ca. Don’t know if it was sample variance, roughed up demo, or ocular adjustment trouble. Then I saw the 18x & 25x power at the range & I was impressed, it was very good. I wish i had my pmII with me but it’s on a 338 & the range goes to 900 yards so I use my pst2 & 6.5 cm or 308 there. I had it side by side by side mk5 & pst2 & it was no contest, mk5 is leagues above pst2 which is a very good $900 scope. So I’m trying to pick between the mk5, xrs2, or razor amg, tough choice, I may have to do like the guy above get 2 of them & sell the 1 I don’t like as much or it will be in the back of my mind every time someone gives a good review for 1 or the other

Personally, I really like the elevation turret design (wish the windage knob was the same). It makes zeroing the scope a breeze. Not tooless, but pretty impossible to screw up.

Me & a sportsman’s wherehouse employee to a couple of demos outside we saw some ca. Don’t know if it was sample variance, roughed up demo, or ocular adjustment trouble. Then I saw the 18x & 25x power at the range & I was impressed, it was very good. I wish i had my pmII with me but it’s on a 338 & the range goes to 900 yards so I use my pst2 & 6.5 cm or 308 there. I had it side by side by side mk5 & pst2 & it was no contest, mk5 is leagues above pst2 which is a very good $900 scope. So I’m trying to pick between the mk5, xrs2, or razor amg, tough choice, I may have to do like the guy above get 2 of them & sell the 1 I don’t like as much or it will be in the back of my mind every time someone gives a good review for 1 or the other
Please excuse my ignorance but I’m just getting into better quality optics and doing a build in 6.5 saum. What is CA that a lot of folks on here are referring to?

Chromatic Aberration (that milky white, washed out look, with color fringing around bright white objects, when looking through a scope).

Reactions: SCGunner84
Chromatic Aberration (that milky white, washed out look, when looking through a scope).
Thank you for educating me. I’m trying to decide on a scope/scopes for the 6.5 Saum build I have in progress. Currently I don’t have any FFP scopes. I have some nice glass but none in FFP. I have the Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 on my Rem 700 300 Win, have a Trijicon Accupoint 2.5-10x56 on my built gas gun 308, and on my Rem 700 7 mag I have the Leupold VX5HD 3-15x56. I’m trying to decide to I try to find a do it all scope for hunting and shooting in FFP or but another quality SFP scope for hunting and some like a Vortex PST FFP to start learning FFP for punching paper and plinking steel.

Generally speaking, most find a lower power FFP scope the best compromise when crossing between hunting and competition disciplines. 3-18× seems to be a happy medium where the reticle is still useable at low power (for hunting situations) and 18x is still sufficient for 1000+ yd shots on steel targets.

Just keep in mind, the "horse designed by committee" compromise being made, and tailor expectations accordingly.

Generally speaking, most find a lower power FFP scope the best compromise when crossing between hunting and competition disciplines. 3-18× seems to be a happy medium where the reticle is still useable at low power (for hunting situations) and 18x is still sufficient for 1000+ yd shots on steel targets.

Just keep in mind, the "horse designed by committee" compromise being made, and tailor expectations accordingly.
Yea I’ve been reading up on the MK5 3-18 because I’m in South Carolina. Sometimes hunting I may have a harvest opportunity at 50 yards or it maybe several hundred yards. For that reason I like the range of the 3-18 but I haven’t had a chance to see or handle one in person. I have some family land I can set up for practice out to 800 yards. Once I get comfortable enough I could also hunt the same spot.

I emailed Leupold about the Mk5 vs the Mk8 in terms of quality differences. The rep told me the Mk8 glass is “inherently better” but you would only notice a difference looking at targets far away in poor conditions. I was originally planning on getting a Mk5, but I like the 3.5-25 magnification range better on the Mk8.

Reactions: mpl2353
I emailed Leupold about the Mk5 vs the Mk8 in terms of quality differences. The rep told me the Mk8 glass is “inherently better” but you would only notice a difference looking at targets far away in poor conditions. I was originally planning on getting a Mk5, but I like the 3.5-25 magnification range better on the Mk8.

Do you also like the price tag that comes along with the mk8?

Seriously. I'd seek out someone who doesn't work for the company that has been hands on with both.
I agree, I just can’t imagine that the mk8 is $2000 better. The mk8 doesn’t seem to far off my pmII in image quality which is very good. I said earlier there could have been other reasons for the ca & the sportsman’s wherehouse guys are sending the optic back & putting out a new demo, so I will take a look at it & again

This is what the rep said:

"The Mark 8 does inherently have better glass than the Mark 5 series at distance. With that being said, for most people, the difference in cost is more than the quality of glass difference. The Mark 5 series scope still has great glass, and you can do anything with it than you can the Mark 8 series, though at extended distances, in poor optical conditions, the Mark 8 optically takes the cake. The Mark 5 series gives you more access to internal adjustment, and comes in quite a bit cheaper than the Mark 8 series. If you put both scopes next to each other, most people might not even notice a difference.

Let me put it this way, I have an illuminated 3.5-25x Mark 8, and my next purchase will be a Mark 5 5-25x as the difference in glass quality wont make a practical difference in the field to me and its nice having the Mark 5 extra accessible adjustment."

Reactions: mpl2353
I agree, I just can’t imagine that the mk8 is $2000 better. The mk8 doesn’t seem to far off my pmII in image quality which is very good. I said earlier there could have been other reasons for the ca & the sportsman’s wherehouse guys are sending the optic back & putting out a new demo, so I will take a look at it & again
I meant the mk5 is close to my pmII in quality, I haven’t seen a mk8

Can anyone tell me if the flip up caps that come with the Mark 5 are worth a damn? Went to order some from aadmount but they don't make them for the Mark 5.

Someone said earlier the pst is a good one to start with & I agree. I have the pst2 & use it more than my pmII, because the pmII is on my 338 & I don’t like shooting 338 at a sub 900 yard range. The pst2 is a solid choice to start, you may find you don’t need a $2500+ optic, unless money isn’t an issue otherwise I would have pmII 5-20 ultra short on all my semi autos & have tangent theta, new kahles 5-25, 7-35 atacr, & I would have that $7000 hendsoldt & pmII 5-45 high power $5-6000. If your spending mk8 money the pmII 3-27 high power has come down in price to $4300-5000, so that kind of money will get you tangent theta & the new kahles which has great reticles, I don’t see the mk8 competing with these top optics

The sportsman’s wherehouse guys said some scopes were damaged from shipping but he didn’t catch it because he didn’t take them outside & do a thorough inspection. Which makes sense because the mk5’s I saw at the range were very good & I couldn’t had a hard time finding any ca & this is a very good scope that can be had under $2k. Only competitors I see for it are xrs2/dmr pro, vortex hd/amg, & the athlon Cronus but I haven’t seen that one. Only bad thing is illumination & horus reticles will raise the price to its competitors range but I don’t need illumination & the cch reticle will help keep prices below except xrs2 can be found with illumination & Horus reticle for cheap especially with sale prices & there are a lot of good sales going on now

I ordered the 5-25 cch & will have it side by side with my pmII 5-25 & my friends xrs2 as soon as it gets here

Hope you checked out Liberty Optics end of the year deals

@LibertyOptics sale is giving me fits. Want to snag another scope while Scott is being so generous. Just not sure if I want to go 3-18 Razor, XRS2 or 3-18 Mk5. The weight of the Razor isn't really an issue. Picked up a 4.5-27 a month ago. Just want some quality glass for my LMT Valkyrie.

Reactions: SCGunner84
I haven't read this entire thread, but I thought I share my thoughts on my 5-25 in case it helps anyone.

I bought the 5-25 non-illuminated with the Tremor3 reticle. This was a leap of faith for me, as I didn't know if I'd like the reticle and I've always thrown shade on Leupold for overpriced products with mismatched turret/reticle offerings, but two seconds after looking through it at Mile High and comparing it to some others I decided it was worth a shot.

The scope feels light for its size. It's quite long with the sunshade. The flip-up caps are very cheap and thin but seem to be working just fine.

The elevation turret is amazing. Some hate the 10.5 mils/rev but I don't mind as I've got it on a 6mm Creedmoor and would rarely need a 2nd revolution let alone a third. Compared to my Steiner T5xi, Burris XTR II, Vortex PST II or Razor HD gen II, the zeroing process is stupid simple. Love it. Clicks are solid without being stiff and tracking has been spot on.

The windage turret is an abomination. The mark for what setting it's on is at some kind of 45 or 60 degree rotation up the curvature of the dial, making it impossible (for me at least) to have any idea what setting its on. I zero it by leveling out the logo on the side, then I just hold for wind using the reticle. Utter junk IMHO.

Being a 35mm tube, it's got tons of elevation adjustment. I have something like 29 mils of usable adjustment with my zero. Nice! Way more than I need for a 6mm.

The glass in my copy is fantastic. It easily matches my K525i, S&B PMII. Almost unnoticeable CA and it's bright and sharp all the way to 25. This is stellar glass for the price.

The Tremor3 reticle ... I guess I have mixed feelings. I love the floating dot, and after learning the wind holds I've found them to be worthwhile in competition settings. But, it's all a bit busy. I have to really concentrate to keep track of which mark is my aiming point and tune out the rest of the reticle noise. I tend to dial elevation more than using the full reticle functionality, but I'm confident in the reticle if and when I choose to hold for both elevation and windage.

Overall, I'd give this model a 75% rating and I'd recommend it for anyone who holds for wind. A simpler reticle would improve the score, as would a proper windage turret marking system. The glass, elevation travel, and elevation turret make this a really solid scope for the money, as long as you can rationalize away the flaws.

For anyone wanting an illuminated reticle, I think they charge an obscene amount and I'd probably not recommend this scope if that's a major criteria for you.

Reactions: Dwillis496
@LibertyOptics sale is giving me fits. Want to snag another scope while Scott is being so generous. Just not sure if I want to go 3-18 Razor, XRS2 or 3-18 Mk5. The weight of the Razor isn't really an issue. Picked up a 4.5-27 a month ago. Just want some quality glass for my LMT Valkyrie.

Pick which reticle you like best. Unless you need the extra magnification of the XRS2, then it primarily comes down to what you have to look at on every shot.

Yes that’s where I ordered, I was in the same situation, xrs2 vs mk5 25x, but I like 56mm for 25x, any of those choices you can’t go wrong. Someone said earlier that bushnell can have some variances in qa but my friends xrs2 is very good & if you thought it was bad they have good customer service having used myself & for others at my family gun shop but i would think on their top scope qa would be better than lower end

For mounting get a spuhr it’s too easy to level & it’s solid no movement in my pmII & no loctite used shooting 338 lap. Optics planet sale on spuhr

I'm considering the Razor because I like the ebr2-c and it would give me commonality between my RPR with the 4.5-27 and my LMT. In the other 2 I'm looking at the Tremor3. Looks interesting and has me intrigued. Not that I need it or use illum a ton but the fact the Razor has it and the other 2 don't (with the Tremor) is another point.

I'm considering the Razor because I like the ebr2-c and it would give me commonality between my RPR with the 4.5-27 and my LMT. In the other 2 I'm looking at the Tremor3. Looks interesting and has me intrigued. Not that I need it or use illum a ton but the fact the Razor has it and the other 2 don't (with the Tremor) is another point.
Vortex has that awesome reticle too

If you like the reticle and are happy with the weight probably be best to stick with the Razor.
Whilst it's not particularly hard to learn a new reticle, if you are happy with what you've got you may as well stick with it.

The main reasons I'd go for a MK5 would be the lower weight and I think it looks better (physically better proportioned IMO), but I don't love any of the reticle options.

If you like the reticle and are happy with the weight probably be best to stick with the Razor.
Whilst it's not particularly hard to learn a new reticle, if you are happy with what you've got you may as well stick with it.

The main reasons I'd go for a MK5 would be the lower weight and I think it looks better (physically better proportioned IMO), but I don't love any of the reticle options.
Leupold needs to check out kahles & vortex reticles, those are my favorite, Ebr-2c & skmr3

I also use my uncles h59 on a us optics 25x & pst2 ebr-2c, & leupold cch reminds me of h59 but less busy. It’s not hard to switch reticles but yeah having 1 reticle could be an advantage in making things easier

Has anyone looked at the Tubb DTR? It will be available in the 5-25 Mk5 in the future. Currently you can get them in the Mk6 and Mk8

Leupold needs to check out kahles & vortex reticles, those are my favorite, Ebr-2c & skmr3

As far as just picking a reticle, I'm fond of the ebr7-b. I like the the .2 marks they added on the main cross hair and the center dot. Just not sure I can scrounge the extra couple hundred for an AMG in the next few hours. Lol.

Has anyone looked at the Tubb DTR? It will be available in the 5-25 Mk5 in the future. Currently you can get them in the Mk6 and Mk8
1546308292277.jpeg

Just a quick search and I'm not sure about what I read. The article made it seem like its essentially a BDC type reticle with a 250fps velocity range. It also said the scopes come with different calibrated elevation turrets for different 308 loads/projectiles.

Is that it
Yes
Just a quick search and I'm not sure about what I read. The article made it seem like its essentially a BDC type reticle with a 250fps velocity range. It also said the scopes come with different calibrated elevation turrets for different 308 loads/projectiles.

It uses distance in yards and wind in mph instead of conventional MIL and MOA. There are various versions all based on BC and velocity of various projectiles and calibers. Not only 308. They are surprisingly accurate and the wind dots take into account the gyroscopic characteristics of the bullet as it’s effected by the wind. Very fast in practice. Also several videos on YouTube of it in practice.

http://www.davidtubb.com/index.php?route=account/download/free&download_id=30

The windage turret is an abomination. The mark for what setting it's on is at some kind of 45 or 60 degree rotation up the curvature of the dial, making it impossible (for me at least) to have any idea what setting its on. I zero it by leveling out the logo on the side, then I just hold for wind using the reticle. Utter junk IMHO.

as would a proper windage turret marking system. .

The windage turret is set up the way it is so when behind the gun you can see the setting by simply looking over the top of the scope, for a right handed shooter that is...

I wonder how accurate it is between sea level & higher elevations

I wonder how accurate it is between sea level & higher elevations
In the first link in my previous post it goes into the correction. It’s a very easy and quick formula to give you the corrected added or subtracted effective distance. It’s all in there.

The windage turret is set up the way it is so when behind the gun you can see the setting by simply looking over the top of the scope, for a right handed shooter that is...

Ah ha! That makes sense. I'm a lefty, so it just never seems to make sense or line up properly from my side.

must have been to good a deal on liberty optics on the mk5, they pulled them early off the site