• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes So, what does a 1000 yd shot look like?

Cproflow

King of the Shank
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2011
Lyons, Colorado
I'm new to long range shooting--no shame in that, gotta start somewhere--and the longest range I've shot is 200yds. I haven't found a place to try for longer. I really need to figure out where to go in the Pawnee Grasslands!

Anyway, I sort of have it on my 'Bucket List' to hit a 1000 yard steel target. I realize that I don't actually know what that would look like--either through a scope, or just a 'distance' picture.

Right now I'm just shooting a bolt .223 Tikka, but next year I'll be able to get a .308 together. So, for now, that is still just a dream. I have much to learn on the way to get there.

Anybody have any pics of what a 1000 yard distance looks like? I'd like to envision what I have to shoot for!
Thanks!

Re: So, what does a 1000 yd shot look like?

Either get a laser rangefinder, or use a mil-dot reticle (on a known size objects) and take some range measurements. Heck, I'd say get a mil-dot scope and measure things like stop signs, window frames......just don't freak anyone out.
Get your .308 together and then go to a school.
good luck,

This is the one in Kentucky:

mammothpic.jpg

I don't have any spooled up of 1000, but thought you might dig 1800.

DTA SRS 338 Laupa. 5.5-22x56 mm Nightforce. 2 foot steel target.

IMG_0342-1.jpg

IMG_0346.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fireguyty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't have any spooled up of 1000, but thought you might dig 1800.

IMG_0342-1.jpg

IMG_0346.jpg
</div></div>

Man, those are some pretty sweet pics... but I have to ask.... why is your buddies truck downrange while you're on the scope?

The small white thing in the distance is the billboard in the last pic.
28jk41x.jpg

2woygr7.jpg

2vdl8k0.jpg

That small black dot is 1 MOA or approximately 10"

Oh, and you can shoot that .223 to 1000 yards, but the wind is going to be one hell of a battle. They shoot .223's to 600, 800, 900, and 1000yards in the competition I compete in.

Here are a couple that should give you an idea what a target looks like through a few scopes. This target is 2' by 3' wide, the circle in the middle is one foot diameter.

1000 yds, 10X IOR:

PICT0087.jpg

12X S&B:

PICT0116.jpg

15X Premier:

PICT0077.JPG

18X IOR:

3-18_18X1000Gong50.jpg

Here are a couple on the same target at 1500 yds:

14X IOR:

4_14at1500Full.jpg

15X Premier:

PICT0097.JPG

Reactions: half_duplex

1000 yards looking at a full size military E-type target...40 inches tall....scope is on 14x.

1000YdScopepic.jpg

Wow guys...these pictures are AWESOME. Better than I had hoped for.
Man, that is quite a ways! Looks like I have my work cut out for me.
Well, the journey of a 1000 yards begins with a single shot...

Great pictures indeed! What's scary is once you get comfortable at 1000 yds, what else is there?? haha! I need to find some friends with extremely large ranches to go shoot on. I can barely find 300 yds in my area, much less 1000. One day though, one day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cproflow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm new to long range shooting--no shame in that, gotta start somewhere--and the longest range I've shot is 200yds. I haven't found a place to try for longer. I really need to figure out where to go in the Pawnee Grasslands!

Anyway, I sort of have it on my 'Bucket List' to hit a 1000 yard steel target. I realize that I don't actually know what that would look like--either through a scope, or just a 'distance' picture.

Right now I'm just shooting a bolt .223 Tikka, but next year I'll be able to get a .308 together. So, for now, that is still just a dream. I have much to learn on the way to get there.

Anybody have any pics of what a 1000 yard distance looks like? I'd like to envision what I have to shoot for!
Thanks! </div></div>

Take a drive out to the Colorado Rifle Club in Byers . Very reasonable to join . They have a super sweet 1000 yard range with the nicest pits and target holders , and a 600 yard steel range . I am not a member there , but have shoot there on a few occasions , for High Power and a few other events . Nice outfit with good people .

I shoot my .223 AR out to 1000, just gotta be on the ball with wind calls. mine is a 1:8 twist so I am shooting 77grain smk handloads and if I do my part I can ring steel the only problem I have found is seeing or hearing the hit, when shooting long range .223 a good target camera is a key asset.

My advice to you is to get out and practice, handload your ammo, attend some matches, and if you can afford it attend some schools. good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IndySSD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fireguyty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't have any spooled up of 1000, but thought you might dig 1800.

IMG_0342-1.jpg

IMG_0346.jpg
</div></div>

Man, those are some pretty sweet pics... but I have to ask.... why is your buddies truck downrange while you're on the scope?</div></div>

My Leica can't range 1800 yards. So the truck sits at 1060 yards. We went up on the side of the mountain directly behind and lined up the truck and the target. The truck ranged at 740 yards. From the picture you can't really tell, but we are shooting about 400 feet over the truck. My buddy is sitting right next to me and no one else is with in two miles. I guess the Toyota isn't totally safe, but where the hell else can you find a mile range?

I made a short video showing all our targets at Rayners Range here in Ohio. Each position shows what it looks like from the shooters position looking out to the target and then zooming in on the target for the hit. Distances range from 234 yards out to an 8 inch circle at 1000 yards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwE70ihOYIk

Topstrap

Yeah but it is a Toyota and they run forever. A couple holes would not change anything.

I realy like the picture Jon A posted with the deer standing behind the target,took me a minute to believe my eyes! I bet he thought he was safe too......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fireguyty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

My Leica can't range 1800 yards. So the truck sits at 1060 yards. We went up on the side of the mountain directly behind and lined up the truck and the target. The truck ranged at 740 yards. From the picture you can't really tell, but we are shooting about 400 feet over the truck. My buddy is sitting right next to me and no one else is with in two miles. I guess the Toyota isn't totally safe, but where the hell else can you find a mile range? </div></div>

Fair enough! I was thinking someone was driving back from placing the target hehe.....

Thanks for posting the pic and then the explanation!

The Tikka comes in 2 twists for 223.If you have the 1-8 twist then you can shoot up to 80 grain bullets and are GTG for 1000Y.If you hand load you might want to load past mag length up to the rifling and single load.Or buy some factory match 75-77 grain ammo.

Just pick a calmish day and try to find a place with a dusty berm or hill so you can see the dust signature well.It sucks wasting a bunch of ammo trying to locate where the strikes are at and having to go set the steel up somewhere else.

Here's a few from the 1k range in Moyock, NC:

PC100324.jpg

PC100327.jpg

PC100322.jpg

The glass on that Premier looks extra awesome in the pic above.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon A</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

15X Premier:

PICT0077.JPG

</div></div>

That's a nice looking buck back there. A bad wind call and misdialing the elevation turret can put you 4 mils up and 2 mils left. Just sayin...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon A</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

15X Premier:

PICT0077.JPG

</div></div>

Great picture, can you give some specs on that Premier?

Would like to see the 1000yrd view through a SWFA SS HD 5-20x50mm. Maybe Jon A or someone else around here has a shot laying around or wouldn't mind getting one next time they are at the range.

Keep your powder dry,
Goat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean Hagerty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
targetviewfromthe600ydberm.jpg

Here is a view at 600 yds. The target boards are 10 ft tall, and the large white targets are 42" X 42"

</div></div>

pics are extremely deceiving. that looks like 100 yards to me.

no, i wasn't callin' you out. just stating that to MY untrained eye, it looks so much closer. in person i could naturally be able to tell it's 600.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lennyo3034</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon A</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

15X Premier:

PICT0077.JPG

</div></div>

That's a nice looking buck back there. A bad wind call and misdialing the elevation turret can put you 4 mils up and 2 mils left. Just sayin... </div></div>

Now that made me laugh.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bizill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean Hagerty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Here is a view at 600 yds. The target boards are 10 ft tall, and the large white targets are 42" X 42"

</div></div>

pics are extremely deceiving. that looks like 100 yards to me. </div></div>

I would guess it looks close because the backdrops are big, and the rolls in the land make it hard to see all the ground inbetween.

i will say this, i envy your lacation with all the green. i'm stuck in the desert and it's just too hot to even want to go out and shoot.

Half way down on the left are the 600 yard targets. Straight ahead are the 1000 yard targets:

P6260973%20-%20Copy.JPG

From a Konus 20-60x80 spotting scope:
P6260977%20-%20Copy.JPG

Here are a couple of videos of some 1000 yard shooting:

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vxo71WUP3l0"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vxo71WUP3l0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_KV8JhG0BOY&feature=related"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_KV8JhG0BOY&feature=related" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoahbodyImportant</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Half way down on the left are the 600 yard targets. Straight ahead are the 1000 yard targets:

P6260973%20-%20Copy.JPG

From a Konus 20-60x80 spotting scope:
P6260977%20-%20Copy.JPG
</div></div>

What power was the spotting scope set on?

So here is a picture of my boy shooting out to 1K and a picture of him at the target looking back at the shooting spot - we turned the stand around. On top of the hill, just left from straight up from the target stand you can see a full size truck with a camper on it.
2 hits were his and one was mine.
cool.gif

Photo048.jpg

Photo054.jpg