• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

So what is the story with Vekronix Terrapin??

Blasst

Sergeant
Minuteman
UPDATE

4/17/14 Guys.....after a few calls the terrapin will be around a while yet. They a putting them together and easy to find. It may end in 6 or 8 months.....maybe less but I got little doubt from the people I talked to like it was no big deal for 6 months or so.....just to let you know.
I was bummed about it till I talked to multiple people. So....hope this eases a few pulses.:))) But if you want one get in in the next few months to be safe. :))))
JIm

Last edited:
nevermind....I read the thread in the group buy section. That sucks. But.....

That technology has improved almost exponentially the past 10 years in my opinion.......It has become so simple and used in so many ways I suspect someone will step up and fill the gap......but the shooters market is pretty small for it. There may be something coming that will blow it away. They may be selling the last ones while they can.

Something is about to appear to make it obsolete. That would be my guess .... one of the cheaper rangefinder producers may step up and produce one that will equal a Terrapin..... or it is about to be in scopes????.
Something will fill the need.
I wish I had grabbed one a few days ago. I didn't wake up soon enough.
But I really think something else will be out to fill that need......small though it is.

Any of you optics gurus know why long range spotters don't incorporate a laser? Imagine being able to rangefind with higher magnification and being able to combine the two devices.

Any of you optics gurus know why long range spotters don't incorporate a laser? Imagine being able to rangefind with higher magnification and being able to combine the two devices.

I am no optics guru but it seems that the cost is what would prohibit this. Look at the price of say a spotter 60 or even the leupold, now combing that with a laser RF that is as good as a terrapin. While I agree it would be cool, it would be crazy expensive with such a specific market.

My guess is that it would be really expensive...

Spotter60PLRF_zps1c470b5c.jpeg

We're probably not that far from a tactical spotter that's fairly modular with drop-in eyepieces, add-on LRF, laser illuminator, etc all in a more compact and integrated package. Imagine something just a tiny bit bigger than a Spotter 60 with an occular housing that can take multiple inputs to allow for overlay of LRF data or Thermal and NV? Anything that saves a few pounds of weight and bulk in a recon guy's kit would be worth the extra money.

Last edited:
Just got off the phone with Vectronix.

The story is:

The PLRF 25(?) is in high demand with the military. The Terrapin is a low margin product. The lower level lines are being discontinued to focus capacity on the PLRF 25.

The terrapin may come back in 18 months or replaced with something in kind, but the price point will be at a minimum $700 to $800 more than the current price.

So I think that if you are looking for great range finding at the lowest possible price, the terrapin is the only game in town.

For anyone still looking milehigh still has the coyote brown terrapin in stock, mine shipped same day as ordered. Also Potomac river group may still have some. I'd like the 10c with the data cable but these terrapins are awesome. I ranged a tree at 2700 yards on a clear bright day and at a stand of trees at 1500+ in a steady rain. On animals ranged the furthest cow I could find, a black cow at 900, no problem at all not sure how far it would read on it but ranged it the same several times consistently. I really like my leica's but this blows it away easily.

The only thing that bothers me is that they badly need a rubber housing around the metal case, if you drop it onto any hard surface they are done as there is no shock absorption whatsoever. I'd pay good money for a 3 or 4mm rubber case that would save a$2k optic that fell a couple feet onto concrete or swung into a rock on the lanyard.

For anyone still looking milehigh still has the coyote brown terrapin in stock, mine shipped same day as ordered. Also Potomac river group may still have some. I'd like the 10c with the data cable but these terrapins are awesome. I ranged a tree at 2700 yards on a clear bright day and at a stand of trees at 1500+ in a steady rain. On animals ranged the furthest cow I could find, a black cow at 900, no problem at all not sure how far it would read on it but ranged it the same several times consistently. I really like my leica's but this blows it away easily.

The only thing that bothers me is that they badly need a rubber housing around the metal case, if you drop it onto any hard surface they are done as there is no shock absorption whatsoever. I'd pay good money for a 3 or 4mm rubber case that would save a$2k optic that fell a couple feet onto concrete or swung into a rock on the lanyard.

I wonder if you can have it sprayed with bed-liner material (Line-x), (Rhino) to about 4mm, obviously you would have to tape of all the sensitive areas?

I wonder if you can have it sprayed with bed-liner material (Line-x), (Rhino) to about 4mm, obviously you would have to tape of all the sensitive areas?

I may do this if I can summon the courage. Would probably rule out servicing, but then again may prevent the need for it. I think the ideas would work, but sure would be nice if there were a rubber like commercial solution you could stretch onto the thing and then peel off if you needed to.

Talon grips has some rubber grips that are pretty nice. Maybe you can find out where they get their material or just get some from them. Make a pattern out of paper and then use that as a template to trim the material. It goes on easy and stays, but if ya ever had to take it off it comes of pretty easy too. Just a thought. Give em a call. (970) 367-7333

well rubber protection is not hard to come by. I agree with what you say also. I 'll go the cheapo routr. Some foam and tape until I come across someone that can make it pretty

Guys I was told this week by PRG that its over we are not getting anymore of the Terrapin range finders. They are our supplier and we don't know what or if the replacement
will be. Sorry it was a hell of a good piece of gear.
Thanks

Just got an email for EuroOptic that mine is finally on it's way! From the sound of it, they do not believe that there will be any more Terrapins to be had, but time will tell, I guess. I can't wait to try mine out!