• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision So..what technique do you use to do your night shooting?

The King

Back to the Range
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Sep 17, 2004
    Florence, CO
    What is everyone's favorite technique for running a rifle after dark?

I think I have done them em all now and haven't found a method I loved.

-
    Running a rifle how & Method ?
    hunting, target paper, self defense ? . With NV on Head With NV on Rifle with NV on Head & rifle ? . With Thermal . With AR platform or Bolt action . ?

when shooting at night, I open my eyes wider as to let more light in...try not to blink as that just resets the image.

Can you be more specific on what you're trying to accomplish? Are you referring to close range combat or long range?

The method and equipment depends on a lot of factors. For example, for assault rifle in a dynamic situation under 200 yards, head / helmet mounted NV with thermal overlay and IR laser aimer on the rifle gives superior detection and lightning fast target acquisition. For more stationary, long distance shooting from a fixed or concealed position: clip-on NV with spotting scope for observation tasks and clip-on thermal imager with day scope (with aiming reticule) on the rifle, for shooting, works well. However, in the same scenario but with weather conditions adverse to thermal imaging, swapping the clip-on NV in place of the thermal scope gives adaptability. There are dual-band clip-on technologies but their cost is out of range for most civilian riflemen.

IR-V

Give victor a call @ tnvc, he can hook you up so that you are properly prepared for each application.

I'm guessing I didn't ask this question right...good idea to call victor though. I'm looking for the best combo for open field work with potential to go close in. I've used all of the above systems and am looking for the system wherein the end user is staggered by how well it works not saying when it's over "I guess it works ok..."

Way#1
    Step1:Spot it with the hand held thermal.

Step2:Walk to a reasonable distance to make the shot wearing the 14.

Step3:Shoot it with the pvs-22 mounted on your rifle.

Way#2
    Same as way #1 but skip step 2 and replace pvs-22 with pvs-27

So, for hog and varmit inside 200 yds, would you go with a helmet PVS-14 and IR or D760? I am now to NV and want to do the right thing the first time.

So, for hog and varmit inside 200 yds, would you go with a helmet PVS-14 and IR or D760? I am now to NV and want to do the right thing the first time.

If you are hunting over bait to where you know where your game/adversary is, rock the weapons mounted NV. If you are going to have to spot/stalk/scan, the only way to go is helmet mounted with a good IR laser.

Yep what he said^

A pvs-14 on a rifle is good also so don't rule that out. A dbal-d2 is a beast of a laser/illuminator! I'm about to get one myself.

TNVC Vic was steering me towards the PVS-14 and a LDI TAC-II pistol IR?

I was confused about stories mounting the 14 in-front of a Eotech or scope when other companies say you can. Vic says don't

I have a Trijicon TA31FG (green chevron), Eotech 552 with 3x and a S&B PMII. Just want to max my options with the NV.

Oh, the hogs are eating plot food

Thank you for the input!

The same one that I use during the day.

I'll now defer to Sterling to chime-in about the fundamentals of a good position and the elements of marksmanship (or is that the elements of a good position and the fundamentals of marksmanship? - it seems that I am too 'new school' to keep them straight).

Vic says no because the point of impact shift is pretty bad. It works pretty darn good behind my S&B. I popped a small hog sized target the other night at 380yrds with mine. Not full moon either!

There's no need to put the pvs14 in front of a acog or eotech because you don't really gain anything by doing so. You would by using it in front of a day scope but it simply just don't work good.

I mounted a PEQ-15A on my LWRC and i just zero it to my reticule and can shoulder fire or hip fire pretty damn accurately

Helmet mounted PVS14
    NV compatible EOTech
    AN/PEQ2A

This was I have the versatility of the PVS and am not chained to having to line up the rifle just to see whats around me. Try walking over terrain like that for a while; itll get old real quick.

I leave the EOTech on and use the laser/illuminator; if you practice bringing the rifle up to your face with the PVS14 down you will be able to get everything lined up to shoot rather quickly. One tip here is that your buttstock will need to come back (if using an AR) to probably the very furthest position in order to get your face/eyes level with the EOTech and laser.

Way#1
    Step1:Spot it with the hand held thermal.

Step2:Walk to a reasonable distance to make the shot wearing the 14.

Step3:Shoot it with the pvs-22 mounted on your rifle.

Way#2
    Same as way #1 but skip step 2 and replace pvs-22 with pvs-27

This is essentially the method that seems most effective, except that I run a D-740 versus a clip-on since the range has been shortened. The wider FoV and lighter weight seem beneficial when the sounder explodes in all directions after the first suppressed volley.

Environment/terrain influences tactics and gear.

Last edited:
    I spot it with my ps32, shoot it with my d740....nothing hard or complicated about that at all ever. Works like a charm.

Walk around with my Team Wendy mounted PVS-14 and keep the DBAL-D2 ready to illuminate with laser if something pops up fast. If nothing pops up walking out to our stands, I use the FLIR LS64 and PS-32 to hand scan for thermal signatures. Once I positively ID, flip up the INVG mounted PVS-14 and put it down using a FLIR T-50 or FLIR T-60.

Find 'em...

Shoot 'em...

Forget 'em....

T50%20Hog.jpg

Last edited:
    I will tell you what Technique I am adding to my list . With Using/ small back pack with night gear / pvs14 on the head / Rifle in my hands

It happened last night & one other time in the past when walking from my parked truck to where I am setting-up the rifle & call . Not even half way to my call spot and a nice looking adult Coyote trots right out in front of me . I was NOT READY . Did Not have a Round jacked in the chamber 'with the safety on' & the Long-Leg Bipod was not extended, folded & ready for a Sitting Shot .
    And that is going to change from now on . Plus to piss-off more : was the only Coyote I saw last night .