• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns So with a 10 round+ ban...

Re: So with a 10 round+ ban...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pdogsbeware</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm the one laughing at the range. Cost, cost, cost. Do I like the .45? Yup. Do I like the cost of 9mm more? Hell yeah! I have one carry gun in a "manly" caliber, everything else is 9mm. Fun to shoot, and CHEAP to shoot!
</div></div>

I reload pistol. It is a little more expensive than 9mm, but not much for reloaded ammo. For manufactured ammo, 9mm is much cheaper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pdogsbeware</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm the one laughing at the range. Cost, cost, cost. Do I like the .45? Yup. Do I like the cost of 9mm more? Hell yeah! I have one carry gun in a "manly" caliber, everything else is 9mm. Fun to shoot, and CHEAP to shoot!
</div></div>

I reload pistol. It is a little more expensive than 9mm, but not much for reloaded ammo. For manufactured ammo, 9mm is much cheaper. </div></div>

I reload thousands of both every year, and 9mm is still significantly cheaper.

You may be right that the price gap is more substantial with factory ammo; it was a long time ago when I was still buying factory ammo.

It's true that we save so much by handloading that it may not seem important, but 9mm is still cheaper, by quite a margin, which is the reason why I shoot more 9mm than .40 or .45.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gpo1956</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That was pretty much the outcome last time. Many more 45's sold and traded in my area with the hi cap magazine ban. I hope it doesn't happen this time, but I'm afraid its probably a done deal. From what I understand, they will go after hi cap mags (pistol and rifle), "assault weapons" and stopping sales between individuals without going through a dealer and doing the forms and background check. I'm beginning to wish maybe I lived in Arizona. I NEVER saw hicap mags for anything close to a reasonable price, much less $15. personally, I wouldn't count on it.</div></div>

Ditto. Look at the technology. The last high cap weapon to come out before the last ban was the Grendel P30 (pretty sure). It came out only months before the ban, it was a 30rd .22mag. Guess what happened to those sales? Also, the G21 hadn't been out that long either, and mags for it were around $100. I still have a couple.

At the end of the ban, the technology shifted to much larger calibers. Alexander Arms came out with the .50Beowulf. There was the .50GI.

It is simple. If they make a ban, the technology will just shift to work around it as best as possible.

I'm rooting for no ban too. And if you have the time to write on here but haven't written your congressman and both senators yet, you should be ashamed of yourself. Go do that right now.

PS, for those of you new to this ban shit, the younger crowd, stop using your high caps now and just buy/use the 10rd'ers for range, etc.

Been doing this for a long time and most of my high caps, the non-carry ones, are all basically new.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krm375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So NY with a seven round ban? </div></div>

Yes sir they are screwed!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dragbag</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krm375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So NY with a seven round ban? </div></div>

Yes sir they are screwed! </div></div>

Wonder if this applies to revolvers too in NY? Some .22 hold 10, some 38/357 now can hold 8. Does it apply to the lever action rifles?

I am not sure but I heard it was for detachable magazines. I could very well be wrong.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krm375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So NY with a seven round ban?</div></div>

Yip. You are stuck with your grandfather's 1911. On the other hand, you are now shooting with class.

I had to check to see if Chip McCormick even made 7-rounders. He does. My low-cap CMC mags are 8-rounders.

That ban is absolutely freaking ridiculous... but a good test case for the Supreme Court.

This may be a good thread to ask what the hell do the New Yorkers do now that they can only have 7 rounds, does that not make 80% of all handguns useless???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: E3C3H3O3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This may be a good thread to ask what the hell do the New Yorkers do now that they can only have 7 rounds, does that not make 80% of all handguns useless??? </div></div>

I guess the proper question is are handguns that carry more than 7 being grandfathered in or is it going to be illegal for all permit holders to carry and have a mag with more than 7 rounds or round capacity? If the latter is true that is even more ridiculous.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: E3C3H3O3</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: E3C3H3O3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This may be a good thread to ask what the hell do the New Yorkers do now that they can only have 7 rounds, does that not make 80% of all handguns useless??? </div></div>

I guess the proper question is are handguns that carry more than 7 being grandfathered in or is it going to be illegal for all permit holders to carry and have a mag with more than 7 rounds or round capacity? If the latter is true that is even more ridiculous.</div></div>

From another site:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After the bill was signed, New Yorkers were no longer allowed to purchase a magazine with a capacity of more than seven rounds. New York’s previous capacity limit was 10 rounds, though magazines manufactured before 1994 were not subject to the ban.

That changed on Tuesday. Those who own pre-1994 magazines that hold more than 10 rounds now have one year to either sell them out of state or surrender them to authorities.

Magazines purchased before Tuesday that can hold eight, nine or 10 bullets remain legal, but they become illegal if more than seven rounds are loaded in them at any one time.

The penalties for possessing an outlawed magazine vary. If someone possesses a pre-1994 high-capacity magazine after one year, they could be hit with a misdemeanor.

For a grandfathered-in magazine, the penalty for loading it with more than seven rounds in the owner’s home is a $200 fine for a first violation and a misdemeanor for a second violation. If it’s outside of the owner’s home, the penalty is a misdemeanor.</div></div>

So basically, you can still own an old magazine with a 10 round capacity, you just can't load up 10 rounds... how the evidence will work for that, I don't know.

You can still own the gun that takes a larger magazine. Just not the magazine itself. But good luck using a Glock 17. I don't think they will be manufacturing a mag for that weapon that only holds 7 rounds any time soon.

It is really a backdoor prohibition on handguns designed after 1935. I mean not even the Browning Hi-power features magazine capacity of 7 rounds or less.

So back to my original post, you are basically stuck with a 1911. Even the M&P 45c has an 8 round mag. The HK-45c also has an 8 round mag. You could buy these with pre-ban mags and load them to 7, I guess. Obviously, they chose 7 rounds to illegalize the vast majority of handguns on the market.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: E3C3H3O3</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: E3C3H3O3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This may be a good thread to ask what the hell do the New Yorkers do now that they can only have 7 rounds, does that not make 80% of all handguns useless??? </div></div>

I guess the proper question is are handguns that carry more than 7 being grandfathered in or is it going to be illegal for all permit holders to carry and have a mag with more than 7 rounds or round capacity? If the latter is true that is even more ridiculous.</div></div>

From another site:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After the bill was signed, New Yorkers were no longer allowed to purchase a magazine with a capacity of more than seven rounds. New York’s previous capacity limit was 10 rounds, though magazines manufactured before 1994 were not subject to the ban.

That changed on Tuesday. Those who own pre-1994 magazines that hold more than 10 rounds now have one year to either sell them out of state or surrender them to authorities.

Magazines purchased before Tuesday that can hold eight, nine or 10 bullets remain legal, but they become illegal if more than seven rounds are loaded in them at any one time.

The penalties for possessing an outlawed magazine vary. If someone possesses a pre-1994 high-capacity magazine after one year, they could be hit with a misdemeanor.

For a grandfathered-in magazine, the penalty for loading it with more than seven rounds in the owner’s home is a $200 fine for a first violation and a misdemeanor for a second violation. If it’s outside of the owner’s home, the penalty is a misdemeanor.</div></div>

So basically, you can still own an old magazine with a 10 round capacity, you just can't load up 10 rounds... how the evidence will work for that, I don't know.

You can still own the gun that takes a larger magazine. Just not the magazine itself. But good luck using a Glock 17. I don't think they will be manufacturing a mag for that weapon that only holds 7 rounds any time soon.

It is really a backdoor prohibition on handguns designed after 1935. I mean not even the Browning Hi-power features magazine capacity of 7 rounds or less.

So back to my original post, you are basically stuck with a 1911. Even the M&P 45c has an 8 round mag. The HK-45c also has an 8 round mag. You could buy these with pre-ban mags and load them to 7, I guess. Obviously, they chose 7 rounds to illegalize the vast majority of handguns on the market. </div></div>

That is just absolutely unreal, and how quick that got passed is scary. I live in CT and we are following the same path, at least it is a much slower process here. I saw elsewhere hear that there is a petition to impeach Cuomo for this, I don't know if that is too political for this site, but to just sit back and let our 2nd ammendment rights get stomped all over is not something I am willing to do. And if CT does follow the same route I am getting the hell out of the state quick, they aren't going to get my hard earned tax dollars.

2nd amendment politics are allowed on this site as they relate directly to our purpose. Democrat, Republican, Libertarian, or Constitutionalist, I think everyone here agrees that this is wrong and will certainly limit our enjoyment/use of firearms.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ken226</div><div class="ubbcode-body">9mm brass, bullets, primers and "pre-ban" mags will be and always have been so common that a ban will be irrelevant. During the 10 years of the Clinton ban, i was able to purchase P226 and Beretta 92 mags, AR15 30 round GI mags all for less than 15.00 each.

Obama or Fienswine don't scare me. I was able to buy anything during the ban that I could have before or after. </div></div>

I agree the difference this time is I gotta stock up on magpul. In 94 it was ak mags.