• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Maggie’s So You Ride a Mountain Bike, huh?

Back when I rode I did Porcupine rim, and I've done some other sketchy stuff but that was stupid. I've seen really good riders fall from unexpected stuff, bang the handle bar on one rock outcropping, or the loose trail surface let go and you'd get a freefall there. That's kind of like the guys who climb free-solo, eventually they slip.

I ride but not gnarkill like that. I have several buddies who are serious dh bikers and it scares me. Ive burried enough friends in last 15 years to last 5 lifetimes. One day Im scared phones gonna ring... and u know.

^^ I did some amature motocross after my EAS from usmc. Had fun, rode hard injury free for 7 years. Long story short, random race hit slimey clay, destroyed my right knee. Im an electrician so work physically. Was outa work almost a year, disability didnt even pay the bills.
Wife said its me and the boy or bikes. So sold dirtbikes. Now my mountain bike cost almost as much as my dirtbike did.

Wow. Like the helmet cam footage of the red bull rampage. Cool stuff.
Had a friend pass last fall. Riding something not so gnarly in Moab. Hit by a powerful gust and bounced downhill a long way. Chopper to the hospital. His family had the stones to pull the plug as soon as they got there, knowing he wouldn't want to be a veg or a burden to anyone.
RIP D. Lucks

When I did PP Rim at Moab I was riding alone. I signed in the book at the trailhead so if anyone reported me missing they knew where to start looking.

At one point I fouind myself cranking along in the big ring and I realized that I had about 6 feet of slope off to my right before I was into a fall that would have lasted a very long time. Doubt I'd have made it to the river, but I doubt that I'd have known the difference either. (I didn't slow down, just paid closer attention)

I have had my knee scoped and had cartilage trimmed after a getoff at just over walking speed in a spot that I knew what sketchy, and I was ready for and I still found myself on the ground and wasn't sure how I got there.

"just a matter of time" yep, that nailed it.

The title reminded me of this:-

Attachments

• Still a Hat.jpg
    Still a Hat.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 13
This is the kind of stuff I used to do on mountain bikes, not so much the boring stuff in the beginning, more like the excitement towards the end.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.liveleak.com/ll_embed?f=b633ef87c49b" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I always felt youve had some sort of head injury....LOL

Yeah, no thanks!

I broke my wrist and a rib at the old Red Bull Rampage site in Virgin. No bueno for handgun shooting. It's been nearly a year and I have full mobility back pretty much, but there's still some tightness/weakness and pain. I had to back off from most of that nonsense. They're insane. Going again this September, but I'll mainly stick to spectating. Whistler in BC (168's vid) is no joke either.

Sorry to load this up with my bullshit, but it's still a bit of a passion along with shooting and such.

Red Bull gap backflip
Red Bull Rampage 2013 Kelly McGarry Canyon Backflip - YouTube

Backflip POV
Kelly McGarry's 72ft Canyon Gap POV - Red Bull Rampage 2013 - YouTube

Shot of the flip from my cell
1383964_10201331877072126_554009053_n.jpg

994618_10201331875872096_1152217847_n.jpg

Rigs

1471875_10201781135263300_873285445_n.jpg

555372_10201130836046226_140216653_n.jpg

Last edited:
I'll ride a 5-6" travel bike *almost* anywhere. No RB Rampage stuff. No huge drops, or 60' senders, but down the most techy/sketchy stuff you can come up with. Exposure doesn'tbother me either. I ride (and teach) "slow and in control". It takes way more talent than travel to ride most of Moab. I'd much rather have an extra inch of talent than travel.