• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Socially UNacceptable Humor

ZomboMeme 03042023060003.jpg

Fixed it for you

And all jokes aside, NASA got some SERIOUS worth to prove. SpaceX just casually sent up AND brought back crews from the ISS in one week, literally with a shrug of the shoulders. And the 3D printed component rocket Terran-1 made some awesome initial impressions on it's grand debut just days after SpaceX made the action movie badass strut across the stage. Science and tech should not carry any political divisions and I hope NASA kicks ass with Artemis manned flight and return to the Moon.

Reactions: sirhrmechanic
And all jokes aside, NASA got some SERIOUS worth to prove. SpaceX just casually sent up AND brought back crews from the ISS in one week, literally with a shrug of the shoulders. And the 3D printed component rocket Terran-1 made some awesome initial impressions on it's grand debut just days after SpaceX made the action movie badass strut across the stage. Science and tech should not carry any political divisions and I hope NASA kicks ass with Artemis manned flight and return to the Moon.

I do too.

But NASA has been spending all its time on Woke and EEOC crap. I am hoping more that they don’t condemn a crew to death because they picked the most PC space program over the most qualified one.

And I am not just talking about the astronauts. The ground team better be the best, not just the most… ah.. photogenic… shall we say.

Sirhr

I do too.

But NASA has been spending all its time on Woke and EEOC crap. I am hoping more that they don’t condemn a crew to death because they picked the most PC space program over the most qualified one.

And I am not just talking about the astronauts. The ground team better be the best, not just the most… ah.. photogenic… shall we say.

Sirhr

This X100. NASA leadership better put down their lattes, watch some awesome Youtube podcasts on the events of recent history surrounding a certain Eastern European country and nuclear power, and ask themselves: Do we really want progress, or progressivism? Because progressivism AKA communism, and the degenerate habits it created, caused Chernobyl.

I do too.

Sirhr

Watch the last moments of the Columbia crew. There is clearly an "equity" candidate in the second row checking two boxes, that had no business being there. Relaying numbers incorrectly (7:39), forgetting re-entry procedures (at least 5 corrections) causing distractions; the others were so kind to "remind/assist" her. Her (mis)actions had no impact on the doomed outcome with re-entry, but still worth note. I think this is similar to what Tucker mentioned with airline pilots.

Last edited:
Columbia was doomed at takeoff when a chunk of foam on the main tank came loose and hit the leading edge of the shuttle's wing. Knocked a hole in that composite leading edge.

Even if the crew knew, they couldn't fix the hole.

Heat comes in at re-entry, ruins the wing, and it all comes apart.

That said, NASA flirts with disaster. While it takes risks, they take unnecessary risks to meet deadlines.

• Sad
Reactions: klf
Columbia was doomed at takeoff when a chunk of foam on the main tank came loose and hit the leading edge of the shuttle's wing. Knocked a hole in that composite leading edge.

That said, NASA flirts with disaster. While it takes risks, they take unnecessary risks to meet deadlines.

Who made the foam? Morton Thiokol?

• Sad
Reactions: 91Eunozs

Actually, they could have fixed the foam and adjusted the re-entry AoA to negate the perforation somewhat. They carried repair kits. Simple space walk. They could also have sent a rescue vehicle as they had a launch staged.

What they didn't do... was authorize (suggest) a space walk to inspect the wing leading edge. That was an oversight.

But high risk. High reward. Missions like this, sadly, cost the lives of pioneers.

What is sad that is both incidents were preventable. And especially on the first one, the engineer who predicted the O-Ring failure and tried to stop the launch was destroyed by his management in M-T. Also, the pressure to launch came because the previous mission had carried a congressman... And had been delayed something like a month. Causing the Congressman to be bitchy about launches and schedules and threaten funding if they didn't 'get their act together.' Because he was pissed off that he had to move his schedule around during launch delays. THAT was why the extreme pressure to launch and vaporize Christa McAuliffe.

Sirhr

Well aware of what happened with Columbia, hence I said her (actions) had no impact on the doomed outcome. My point is just if you listen to the recording - well, one would wonder if she was qualified/trained appropriately for such an important endeavor.

Reactions: Keith E.
I was born in '76. The space shuttle was hot shit when I was a youngster. And I thought it awesome. But my exuberance has waned...

I'm kinda conflicted about space exploration. I think it's mostly a waste of time and money... At present our best tech is equivalent to sending a 2 y.o. to explore Siberia on foot.

On the other hand I would like to ride a Saturn V into orbit, float around for a bit, and come back down... But that's an expensive amusement park ride.

And they keep sending satellites/probes to places we can't live... Venus is too fucking hot. And Mars, while habitable, would end up being another pork barrel... If we got wiped out by an asteroid, colonists on Mars are dead in a month, or less. And I don't give a shit how much ammonia is in Jupiter's atmosphere... I already knew we couldn't live there either.

I guess my point is we've done some fairly impressive stuff, but it's small potatoes in light of how much there is to space. We're just pulling ourselves up to walk, not really taking steps yet.

And we've learned some interesting factoids, but it's really just trivia... Nothing that will significantly alter the lives of humankind.

Even if someone unveils a method of FTL propulsion tomorrow, it would still take us 4 years or so to reach the nearest star/solar system outside of our own. What happens if we get there and every planet is a lifeless rock like every other planet in our own system?

How many trillions are we going to blow out of our butts before we say, "Yeah, not worth it."

And the answer is always: "But, science."

I don't know. Call me skeptical I guess.

Mike

What is sad that is both incidents were preventable. And especially on the first one, the engineer who predicted the O-Ring failure and tried to stop the launch was destroyed by his management in M-T. Also, the pressure to launch came because the previous mission had carried a congressman... And had been delayed something like a month. Causing the Congressman to be bitchy about launches and schedules and threaten funding if they didn't 'get their act together.' Because he was pissed off that he had to move his schedule around during launch delays. THAT was why the extreme pressure to launch and vaporize Christa McAuliffe.

Sirhr

It was earlier in the year, yes, but it wasn’t the previous mission when Sen. Garn flew as excess baggage.

Reactions: sirhrmechanic