• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Socially UNacceptable Humor

So a belief that a diety exists is a religion but a belief that one does not isn't?

Generally speaking yeah, that's seems appropriate. Controlling for someone who is a pantheist or deist (someone who believes in a non personal prime mover), the vast majority of theistic belief system are rooted in religion, a collection of dogmatic principles.

Atheism, being the lack of belief, cannot be categorized in the same way.

Reactions: Aries256
So a belief that a diety exists is a religion but a belief that one does not isn't?

By definition of the word religion, atheism is not a religion.

re·li·gion
/rəˈlijən/

noun
noun: religion
  1. the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.
    "ideas about the relationship between science and religion"

Reactions: Aries256
D67C4829-E243-4B55-A7EE-4A29911770CE.jpeg

Correct. They remain unconvinced which is different than saying a god DOESNT exist. Two different positions.

No, actually an atheist is someone who is convinced gods don't exist.
It's agnostics, like Carl Sagan, who believe there isn't any scientific evidence for either argument.
Convinced atheists are as narrow in that part of their thinking as those who profess that there are fairies at the bottom of the garden and anyone who doesn't share their beliefs should be punished.

It's agnostics, like Carl Sagan, who believe there isn't any scientific evidence for either argument.
Convinced atheists are as narrow in that part of their thinking as those who profess that there are fairies at the bottom of the garden and anyone who doesn't share their beliefs should be punished.

Not sure I am following, but to reword:

Null Hypothesis (H0) = I dont believe a claim
Alternative Hypothesis (H1) = I believe a claim based on X,Y,Z evidence

For me personally, in regards to any god claims, I reject H1 based on the currently available evidence.

Does that help?

Screenshot_20200428-205052_Chrome.jpg

"So I heard your brother got coronavirus?"
"Yeah but it's not serious"
"I see, did you call your doctor or the hospital?"
"Nah man, he's my brother, we have the same blood, I'll take care of him"
"Nice, but just out of curiosity, what does he eat for breakfast?"
"Nothing special, a thin slice of ham and a cracker"
"Ah, and for lunch?" "A thin slice of ham and a cracker"
"Dinner?" -"A thin slice of ham and a cracker"
"Wait, do people with coronavirus have to eat only a thin slice of ham and a cracker?"

"No, that's the only food in our house that can fit under his bedroom door after I screw it shut with 3'4 plywood and 2x6's".