• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Socks for humping?

rdscottt

Private
Minuteman
Nov 25, 2009
Dallas TX
Does anyone wear any certain type of socks for humping? I usually just wear regular type but Ive been getting more blisters lately than usual. I am talking long distance..12 miles or so..with a 60 lbs ruck at about a mile every 15 min or so. THX

Re: Socks for humping?

I just pull off my boots and have at it, but the old od green ones with boots on is the most fun!

Ooohhhhhh, THAT kind of humping! got ya!
Still would go with silks and all rayon blends for a good ruck march since the combo basically denies major blisters. Glad that isn't part of my quarterly regimen anymore!

I think socks (and boots) that FIT, are more importantant then what the socks are made of.

In extended hikes, changing socks ever so often helps a lot.

I was infantry when infantry walked. Dry clean socks are worth their weight in gold.

Try a thin pair of dress socks under a pair on normal field socks, cuts out all of that nasty blister causing friction. worked for me for years.

Chef

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: drmarc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just can't get much traction when humping in socks. </div></div>

OMG I'm glad I didn't have coffee in mouth when I read that!

my wife doesnt like it when i wear socks while humping...wait i missread

as for hiking...i have always had very good luck with thorlos socks, usually their thin liner with almost any of their other thick hiking sox.

Thin nylon base socks and good wool blend over that. Wool is great even in hot weather because it breathes and it dries good after walking in the water.

I've been wearing the Under Armour "Heat Gear Boot OTC". About $9 a pair.

"UnderArmour has improved its existing HeatGear Boot sock with the new Over The Calf sock. Now with a seamless toe, Armour Block throughout the foot, embedded arch support, contoured "Y" heel, and Signature Moisture Transport mesh ventilation. 90% Olefin, 8% Nylon, 2% Lycra Spandex.
A3061.jpg

plenty of good quality foot powder b4 you start off, i find 'jungle issue' style socks are the easiest on the feet, if you are really suffering then a pair of thin runnining/sport socks under the issue socks can help, if you get a break during the hump change your sweat soaked socks to a pair of dry ones that you have already shaked foot powder into , only takes a minute to do and is well worth the effort

After Kevin posted about merino wool socks, I looked on REI's web site and found that they had some. Here's the link:

http://www.rei.com/product/664970

I ordered several pair. Shortly after receiving them, I was out in a 45 degree rain all day chasing shooters around the range. My feet were toasty. Good stuff.

Silk dress socks under wool ones. Both dry fast. Change them every chance you get.

I don't wear socks while humping but the wife sometimes does when she has cold feet....

+1 for smart wool.

On a side note, stay away from REI brand socks. I have a few pair and won't wear them hiking anymore as they have a seam on top of the foot just behind the toes and I've gotten blisters on the top of my foot twice.

Not all REI socks are made the same way. If the ones you had a problem with are not the specific ones being discussed, your comment may not be applicable.

I've not had that problem with these.

Wool in my opinion is the best choice try smartwool and danner, they are more expensive but will also last much longer, are much more comfotable and wick moisture better.

Sounds like the EIB prerequisite march. 15/min miles for 12 miles, ruck is way heavier than EIB standard though. Good luck keeping that pace, that's really fast. We did it with 35lb assault packs but we did have our front/back/side plates in. Got my EIB.
cool.gif

Thrulo,Thrulo,Thrulo!! Walked all over hell in them. Best 8 bucks i ever spent.I have had 4 pair for about 6 years.

Tag
I really need the cotton. I had 3 month bout of athletes foot growing up and the doc said go to cotton only and that fixed it. This was 20+years ago though

I have been wearing these socks for a long time now. The best thing about them for me is they dry quick, wik sweat and they have the antimicrobial stuff in them that keep the foot funk down, well at least when they are still newer. check em out

http://www.covertthreads.com/

man i tell yall its hell beatin it out with socks on!!!

i mean the trail that is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Teppo-Ka</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Smartwool has always done me well with a med-heavy pack </div></div>

Another vote here for Smartwool. I don't do any ruck marches or extended survival expeditions, just the occasional week camping and long day hikes. I walked about 50 miles in about 5 days with a pack up in Glacier NP and warm or cold, wet or dry, I didn't have any problems with blisters. Just have two pair with you, wear one, and hang the other off your pack to dry out, rotate them as necessary and keep a plastic bag handy in case it rains.

Thorlo and Smart wool, but for my feet the Thorlo's are better and last longer. Rotate to dry ones when you can.

Bass pro shops carry and merino wool sock that has a lifetime warranty. They are great, and if you wear them out just swing by and get a new pair, all for 10 bucks. I had 2 pair that where going on 3 years old with alot of miles on them and they finally got a hole in the heel and they swapped them out, no questions asked.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not all REI socks are made the same way. If the ones you had a problem with are not the specific ones being discussed, your comment may not be applicable.

I've not had that problem with these.
</div></div>

I have the exact socks you posted, color and all. In the picture you can see where they look like they were folded and there is what looks like a creese near the toes. Thats the exact area I had the problem.

That said, you are correct that it could be a problem with my socks and not representative of all REI socks. I won't be testing anymore of them to find out though.

a few have already said, A extra thin/slick pair of dress socks or similar under your heavy boot socks. A big plus+
A pair of Lady ( over the calf Nylons ) is the shit for against the foot for less friction . Also 'Pack' Mole Skin & 'liquid' Tuffskin or SuperGlue for Repair of the Blisters you ' Will ' get and better be @ least prepared for getting when doing 1-2 weeks of day upon day of hiking in rugged terrain. Do the repairs and then put the Nylons over the feet and then the heavy sock over & keep going. Blister will come and go but this is the best management of them. Try the shorty Nylons, I swear they are the shit .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Strickland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">look for hiking socks with little to no cotton content. You want something with poly in it. </div></div>

What he said, but I like my boot socks to be about 80% Wool, 20% Synthetic so they stay in place/wick moisture.

Several disadvanges - they do not protect against STD's, offer no protection against pregnancy, and generally limit the sensation of the experience.

On a more serious note, I am in the camp using silk liners with merino wool socks. No blisters, no wet feet, and warm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I normally grab the biggest sock I can get, for me larges don't fit and ya don't wanna stretch'er too much, then just dab a lil KY around the opening and PRESTO...instant meatpuppet! Hump that shit all day long! Oh and lint free that's important! Don't need a glogged muzzle.
grin.gif
</div></div>

I can't breathe!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oldgrayone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was afraid to open this thread thinking it was going to be a sailor patrol sock question. </div></div>

I am positively amazed at how many posts I read through till I started to see comments of this nature. I thought for sure reading the title of this thread it was gonna be a masturbation innuendo free for all. That being said I cant offer any good advice to the actual question.

Also I never understood the appeal of whipping up a batch of man chowder with a sock.

*edit* I guess I missed Switchblades post early on there.

If you like Smartwool you will be blown away by Point6. Point6 were developed by the previous owners of smartwool.

The absolute best socks I have tried to date.

Fox River socks have been the best I've ever used. Used them all over Ft Bragg, Camp Mackall, the Philippines, etc. They're good in dry heat, wet heat, and cold months as well. Highly recommended. Best money you could spend for long days on your feet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shakey yankee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been wearing the Under Armour "Heat Gear Boot OTC". About $9 a pair.

"UnderArmour has improved its existing HeatGear Boot sock with the new Over The Calf sock. Now with a seamless toe, Armour Block throughout the foot, embedded arch support, contoured "Y" heel, and Signature Moisture Transport mesh ventilation. 90% Olefin, 8% Nylon, 2% Lycra Spandex.
A3061.jpg
</div></div>

+1 I tend to like the UA and they seem to keep the blisters to a minimal as long as the boots FIT PROPERLY... Add a little powder and smoothe humping...

Agreed on Point 6 brand. The "Public Safety" line are great.

ZL, I didn't really like the Fox river sox at all. They made my feet sweat more than any other sock i have ever used.

The moister wicking socks under wool worked really well for me but can cause some discomfort if your boots are too tight to begin with.

The only 5.11 gear I have is their socks. I received about 6 pairs in Iraq in one of those any soldier boxes. I used them the whole year, and I absolutely loved them. They had great cushioning and overall feel for me. Good at moister wicking too, because I never noticed my feet sweating once.

Another vote for SmartWool! The best socks I have ever used. Been many a miles on the ole feet and only wear SmartWool for marches (10+ miles). Really good investment.

I wear Smart Wool, with liners on under them. Never had a problem. I did 16 miles and with 5,000ft of elevation gain and 8,000ft going down one time and never got blisters. Done also a couple of hikes approaching 20 miles and never had problems. Always worn the combination of liners and Smart Wool and never got blisters. When the weather does get hotter, I will go to liners, and lighter smart wool hiking socks.

Make sure your boots are broken in. Thats normally a major problem.

*1 on the thin dress socks or poly pro socks under heavier socks. I also take a bar of soap, rub it on the bottom of my feet, put on the thin sock, soap the bottom of that, put on the heavier socks soap the bottom of that. Helps prevent blisters

try lorpen. I have had great luck with them and they have a lifetime free of holes warrenty but I have not had to use it yet in 4 years

http://www.injinji.com/tetratsok/outdoor.htm

Takes a couple of days to get used to them but well worth it.

Been wearing them for years.

No moisture build up between the toes...EVER.

+1 for wool.

edit: after getting used to them they are much more comfortable than traditional socks. I size all of my footwear while wearing them.