• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Soft Shooting .223

Deaf and dumb is all I see now . Good luck OP . Damn know it alls suck the life right out of another thread .

OP, (as some others said) just go by a 9mm mpx or whatever version you like and use that. My 5 year old absolutely hammers my mpx(it is suppressed though). That is the softest shooting thing I can imagine and very accurate out to 100yds.

I don't give a crap about you or your kid . Why not help the OP with the load is looking for ?
Already did, genius. Really, you should read more carefully before posting. You even replied to my suggestion about Blue Dot loads, and someone else beat me to a good link for them.

Hello Snipers, I would like to develop a softer shooting .223 round for an AR Pistol. I'm looking for something with less recoil and blast than traditional loads. I'll be shooting it out of a 9.5" barrel with a 1:8 twist. This is meant to be a self-defense load for 50 yards and in. I will likely use CFE 223 or IMR 4895 unless you have a better suggestion. My main question is should I go with a heavy bullet like 90 grains or something light such as 55 grains? I will probably try to push it in the 1500-2000 fps range. I am not trying to make it sub-sonic. Let me know your thoughts.
Reloder-7 and a light TSX, or get a can since you can efile form 4's now

Reactions: Yondering
I was under the impression the 5.7 rounds are designed for it's velocities. Are they not? I though the blue tip was different construction from red tip. I wasn't aware the blue tips were available as a component either. Maybe I have bad info, if so apologies.

hornpic22241-3.jpg

Like a .30 110 tac tx isn't the same as the ttsx or tsx. Much lower expansion threshold. I thought it was a similar thing with the blue vs red tip.
So I went to the shop today and looked around at my 5.7 reloading crap. Apparently midway did offer the blue tip V max as a component at one time or another. I have a few boxes of them. As my original reply though, I don’t believe there is any difference in any of the “color” offerings of the 40g bullets. Pic is all three colors that I know of. Left to right: pulled from factory loaded FN ammo(note the heavy crimp indentation), midway seconds v max, green tip Z max. All versions are 40g, polymer tip boat tail of the same construction from an outside view.
0263AD38-4A4B-4F95-9F2F-FBD1740B4D8E.jpeg
5F984FB0-778F-4921-9070-1E58798D2942.jpeg

Hello Snipers, I would like to develop a softer shooting .223 round for an AR Pistol. I'm looking for something with less recoil and blast than traditional loads. I'll be shooting it out of a 9.5" barrel with a 1:8 twist. This is meant to be a self-defense load for 50 yards and in. I will likely use CFE 223 or IMR 4895 unless you have a better suggestion. My main question is should I go with a heavy bullet like 90 grains or something light such as 55 grains? I will probably try to push it in the 1500-2000 fps range. I am not trying to make it sub-sonic. Let me know your thoughts.
I think if I was trying to do what you were thinking, I would use 60 grain VMAX, and I would load it with AA2200, like some poster already said, which is a very good choice, and its going to be in the 19 grains area. Or I would use SW Tactical Rifle, which will cycle an AR down around 18 grain loads. That will be ideal for what you want, and economical. With 1:8 twist, you want to use 60 grain is just about perfect. It will be pretty accurate too. VV N130 can work too, down under 20 grains.

Reactions: Yondering
This maybe off topic but I think getting a soft shooting 9mm PCC is an easier solution for 50 yard. Unless you really love developing a new load.

In a blowback gun? Good luck.

Exactly. The common blowback 9mm carbines all have more felt recoil than a properly tuned AR. That heavy bolt mass has something to say about "soft recoiling".

Not that any of these recoil very much. But if the OP thinks a 5.56 AR is too much, he's not going to like a 9mm AR any better; only thing they do better for this topic is make less flash & blast.

In a blowback gun? Good luck.

Exactly. The common blowback 9mm carbines all have more felt recoil than a properly tuned AR. That heavy bolt mass has something to say about "soft recoiling".

Not that any of these recoil very much. But if the OP thinks a 5.56 AR is too much, he's not going to like a 9mm AR any better; only thing they do better for this topic is make less flash & blast.
My ar9 sbr is way worse recoiling than any 556 gun I’ve ever shot.