• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sold my new 94, what to replace it with?

FWoo45

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Jun 19, 2020
NorKal
Looking for a new lever gun. A good guy at work really wanted a model 94 in 30-30 and couldn’t find one within a couple hour drive. I’d maybe put 10 rounds through mine and I’m constantly trying to consolidate calibers so it’s gone. It broke my heart though. So now I’m shopping. I think I want a .357 as that is a caliber that won’t ever get the ax. So what do I get? A couple Henrys have caught my eye but I’ve read mixed reviews. Lots of MIM I guess, not sure that that matters. Willing to shop around for a nice example of an older gun if that would be preferred. Thanks for any advice or recommendations.

I snagged a Marlin 1894 CST in 357 a few years back and absolutely love it. I believe Ruger has started pushing out the Marlin's again, or should soon.

If you want the sleeper of .357's, I'd get a Rossi 92 and just upgrade it all to what you want. Ranger Point Precision should have what you'd need.

Reactions: MarshallDodge
I have a older JM Marlin 1894 357 and I love it. You can find them on gunbroker now and then. I haven’t seen the new Ruger made Marlins, but I would imagine they are doing a much better job than Remington was making them.

I also have a Rossi 92 44 mag and I like it as well. They make a nice 357. Just know, you’ll likely need to take it apart and lap the moving parts to smooth it up. It’s not hard, but does take time. It’s incredible how rough they are inside, yet still cycle well.

Kind of depends on if you want to put an optic on it someday. If you do, the Marlin is a better choice.

I also have a Rossi 92 44 mag and I like it as well. They make a nice 357. Just know, you’ll likely need to take it apart and lap the moving parts to smooth it up. It’s not hard, but does take time. It’s incredible how rough they are inside, yet still cycle well.
They’re also incredibly strong actions. I had a .357 Rossi for a few years. Really liked that rifle

Reactions: KYAggie
They’re also incredibly strong actions. I had a .357 Rossi for a few years. Really liked that rifle

This is very true. You can run 180 grain cast bullets out of one and a very healthy pace with a case full of H110 or Littlegun.

Reactions: Gustav7
shame , shame , shame you should have kept both you can't be a gun hoarder if your selling them off like unwanted children 😱
1677897696476.jpeg

well at least you got something you wanted .

Reactions: XP1K
shame , shame , shame you should have kept both you can't be a gun hoarder if your selling them off like unwanted children 😱
View attachment 8088520
well at least you got something you wanted .
Haven’t bought anything yet. Just started shopping. I was bummed when I pulled it out of the safe but the caliber consolidation must go on. Dan was way more stoked when I handed it to him than I was when I bought it.

My first instinct would be to see if I could find a Marlin that I like.

This is very true. You can run 180 grain cast bullets out of one and a very healthy pace with a case full of H110 or Littlegun.

I run 180 GC’s behind a stout load of 300-MP, which I have found to be one of the fastest powders in rifles behind the heavy bullets. Faster than H110 and 2400 by a decent margin. It’s like the RL26 for .357 rifles lol

Either the marlin or Winchester 1892 pattern (Rossi, Taylor’s/Uberti, Winchester).
I have all of them and the thing that I have noticed is that they can be finicky on OAL and bullet shape. As you know, they make a great knock about Gun.

If you just want a range toy to try and go fast, look at the 1873 clones. The problem there is that it is a weaker action and does not do well with high pressure loads, think Colt vs Ruger.

Reactions: Gustav7 and FWoo45
Either the marlin or Winchester 1892 pattern (Rossi, Taylor’s/Uberti, Winchester).
I have all of them and the thing that I have noticed is that they can be finicky on OAL and bullet shape. As you know, they make a great knock about Gun.

If you just want a range toy to try and go fast, look at the 1873 clones. The problem there is that it is a weaker action and does not do well with high pressure loads, think Colt vs Ruger.
I’ve got a possible line on a used Marlin or I’m thinking the Miroku built Win 73 CCH shorty.

Reactions: Modoc
I’ve got a possible line on a used Marlin or I’m thinking the Miroku built Win 73 CCH shorty.
I would seriously consider the Marlin over the ‘73 if you have any desire to shoot .357mag reloads. The ‘73 is awesome and fun but it’s really a low power action and excels using cowboy 38’s and occasional mild 357's.

The Marlin '94 and Win/Rossi ‘92 series are what you seek for a "do all" rifle that can handle from 38subs up to hot rodded .357 loads.

Reactions: FWoo45
Another vote here for the Rossi 92 rifle.
I have a 24” Octagon barreled 45LC and a 16” .357 Mag with threaded barrel. They are really nice guns, especially when mated to a matching revolver.

Another vote here for the Rossi 92 rifle.
I have a 24” Octagon barreled 45LC and a 16” .357 Mag with threaded barrel. They are really nice guns, especially when mated to a matching revolver.
Just make sure to label your "rifle only" loads lol... We all know someone who's blown up a revolver...I think

Beware “The Marlin Jam,” especially if you are pursuing an 1894.

IME it is unrecoverable without tools.

It happened to me twice and I swore off Marlins forever — yes even the new ones and yes even similar designs like Henry.

1892 takedown for me.

-Stan

Beware “The Marlin Jam,” especially if you are pursuing an 1894.

IME it is unrecoverable without tools.

It happened to me twice and I swore off Marlins forever — yes even the new ones and yes even similar designs like Henry.

1892 takedown for me.

-Stan

The marlin jam is quite preventable if you do the modifications before it develops. Easy mods to do.

I know.

But it is still a design flaw and a ticking time bomb to any purchaser.

-Stan

Not if they can use a file and a screwdriver for 10 minutes. If they can't do the mod, they shouldn't buy the gun.

Easiest thing ever.

And the marlin bolt removal is literally 1/50th of the work of the 1892.

Reactions: Modoc
Not if they can use a file and a screwdriver for 10 minutes. If they can't do the mod, they shouldn't buy the gun.

Easiest thing ever.

Thus why I advocated for the 1892 take down as I can get all the access I need for general cleaning quite easily.

-Stan

Last edited:
Reactions: MK20

I have both and this is absolutely the truth. When I clean my Marlins I always clean from the back forward because it’s so easy to remove the bolt; my 92’s get it from the muzzle.

“Marlin jam”. Shoot now I’m going to have to google the problem and the fix; I’ve never had any of my Marlins jam. Mine are JM’s though. Does that even matter?

I have both and this is absolutely the truth. When I clean my Marlins I always clean from the back forward because it’s so easy to remove the bolt; my 92’s get it from the muzzle.

“Marlin jam”. Shoot now I’m going to have to google the problem and the fix; I’ve never had any of my Marlins jam. Mine are JM’s though. Does that even matter?

Yeah. It is a wear pattern that was not corrected in the initial design. It appears after extensive use. If caught fairly early it only requires reprofiling of a small nub on the lever. Otherwise, a new carrier might be needed too. But this requires very extensive use, normally in CAS shooting.

I was always fond of Marlin,but last year someone had Rossi cant remember what it was chambered in,but i do remember that he ran 100 cast wadcutters with no issues. Went home impressed never seen him again to ask him if he had to do any work on the rifle to work like that.

Both of my rifles that developed the Marlin Jam were JMs.

-Stan

Any marlin will develop this jam. It is endemic to the design but is prevented by 5 minutes of filing on the lever cam surface.

Easiest fix in all of gun work.
For me it less about the fix being easy, and more about it being unprofessional to sell a product that the user needs to fix themselves the day they purchase it.

-Stan

Not the first time I’ve seen that vid, your wife is definitely faster than I would be. Italian over Jap ‘73?
I like the '73 no matter who makes them. Simple design, minimal moving parts, nearly impossible to jam. The Uberti/Taylors/Cimarron 1873 Short Rifle is my preference and I have owned several, and slicked up dozens for Cowboy Action Shooting. My wife and I have used them to win multiple World Campionships in Cowboy Action Shooting.
1678041591017.jpeg
ComancheriaDaysElkeRifle.jpg ComancheriaDaysRickRifle.jpg

rickeot.jpg Worlds_RickAward.JPG

Last edited: