• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Soliciting advice for first build - optic

9Ball

Private
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2024
Raleigh, NC
Thank you for entertaining my first post. I've decided to start my first build with the intention of coming as close to a "do all" gun as possible; for this reason I chosen a Terminus Zeus QC SA. I've also decided on an ESS chassis for a decent modularity to weight ratio.

Here are the boxes I want the rifle to check:
-shoot .223 for training on a budget (out to 500M for now)
-shoot .308 for hunting and longer range target shooting
-shoot 300 BLK subs (solely for fun).

I need input on what optic to purchase for (ideally all of) these tasks. My current preference is finding a used ATACR 4-16 in MRAD. I don't *think* I'll be under-scoped in North Carolina. Additionally, the turrets and lack of tunneling on this particular model are appealing. Please let me know of other optics I ought to be considering as well as any other general input.

Thank you,

9ball

Dudes be raving about the TX6i 3-18. The MSR2 reticle is quite nice. Seems like it might be in line with your use case. The 4-16 Atacr is a solid choice. A favorite of mine. There’s the NX8 series too. You should be at less than 2k less with mount. Depending on the reticle in the Atacr.

Dudes be raving about the TX6i 3-18. The MSR2 reticle is quite nice. Seems like it might be in line with your use case. The 4-16 Atacr is a solid choice. A favorite of mine. There’s the NX8 series too. You should be at less than 2k less with mount. Depending on the reticle in the Atacr.
The SCR2 reticle looks really interesting. I think this looks preferable to the ATACR from a value perspective. Many thanks for the recommendation.

I heard that Hunter usually wants the most parallax forgiveness scope.

I would take a good look at the NX8 2.5-20x50 and the MK5HD 3.6-18X44. Great for hunting as well as comp-like scenarios without being stupid expensive/heavy as hell. Both options are posted regularly on the PX for around $1700.

I would take a good look at the NX8 2.5-20x50 and the MK5HD 3.6-18X44. Great for hunting as well as comp-like scenarios without being stupid expensive/heavy as hell. Both options are posted regularly on the PX for around $1700.
Thank you for the suggestions. Are you able to offer any insight on these vs the T6Xi or ATACR?

Thank you for the suggestions. Are you able to offer any insight on these vs the T6Xi or ATACR?
Never owned a Steiner T6, so I can't comment on anything about it other than what I have heard from others. The majority of reviews are really positive, especially about the glass and turrets. Now I have owned the ATACR 4-16x50, and it is a great optic for what you're wanting to do. Clear glass, nice turrets, and a nice reticle with good illumination. I really loved the ATACR up until I bought the NX8 4-32x50, and immediately got rid of it in favor of the NX8. Lighter, more magnification, better turret feel, and (at least to me) nearly identical glass quality. To me, the NX8 line is the best right now in terms of features, quality, and especially robustness for the price, alongside the new Zeiss S3's. If you can find a used 4-16x42 ATACR for a decent price, ($2k and under) I would jump on it over any of the other ATACRs. Those have the locking turrets and work beautifully on a bolt gun. Why they don't put the locking turrets on all ATACR models, I don't know. But to me, the ATACR line is much more suited for a "go to war" type of setup. But if you're not busting down doors and sniping insurgents past a mile, I would go for an NX8 every time.

Never owned a Steiner T6, so I can't comment on anything about it other than what I have heard from others. The majority of reviews are really positive, especially about the glass and turrets. Now I have owned the ATACR 4-16x50, and it is a great optic for what you're wanting to do. Clear glass, nice turrets, and a nice reticle with good illumination. I really loved the ATACR up until I bought the NX8 4-32x50, and immediately got rid of it in favor of the NX8. Lighter, more magnification, better turret feel, and (at least to me) nearly identical glass quality. To me, the NX8 line is the best right now in terms of features, quality, and especially robustness for the price, alongside the new Zeiss S3's. If you can find a used 4-16x42 ATACR for a decent price, ($2k and under) I would jump on it over any of the other ATACRs. Those have the locking turrets and work beautifully on a bolt gun. Why they don't put the locking turrets on all ATACR models, I don't know. But to me, the ATACR line is much more suited for a "go to war" type of setup. But if you're not busting down doors and sniping insurgents past a mile, I would go for an NX8 every time.
Thanks for the response. My understanding is that there was a lawsuit regarding the locking turrets with Leupold?