• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes ***SOLVED ***Question about my Leupold mark 5, please help

odoylerules

Private
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2017
So I bought a used mark 5, 5-25x56 from a guy on another forum. It’s in great shape.
My question is about the zero lock. The directions just talk about how to reset the turret after you’ve dialed your round in, that seems easy and straight forward. What is the huge screw under the turret for? It clicks like you’re adjusting the elevation turret. Leupold says the scope has 3 revolutions of adjustment. No matter what I do I can’t get more than just shy of 2 revolutions. No matter what adjustments I dial to that big screw, I can’t get more than under 2 revolutions. This is my first Leupold. I’m sure it’s something simple. I feel like a moron already for not figuring it out. The directions don’t talk about it and I’ve exhausted YouTube trying to find answers to no avail.
Thanks guys
A52B2824-B175-479D-AF91-BD6B903608F6.jpeg
0BB3D9F6-4B43-43C4-82AB-C1733B2BCD12.jpeg
30362E40-CE30-4636-85B2-369FFD7E88F6.jpeg
63D2D861-E4B5-43D0-A21A-3F7A3B9C4212.jpeg

Ummm...is your other revolution of elevation going down (past the zero stop)?

You are adjusting the elevation when you turn the big screw. With the turret screws backed out so that no adjustments are being made can you get 3 revolutions? If you can get 3 revs this way but not with the screws tightened, you are out of internal elevation and need to add some more cant to the scope to get the 3 revolutions of elevation.

3 revs of elevation is 30mil, meaning the scope would have to be zeroed 5 mils from being bottomed out. you'd need a ton of cant, that scope only has 35mil of internal adjustment total. Another 40moa of can't would get you close, but it is not necessary, what caliber and ranges are you shooting that you need 30 mil of elevation?

Last edited:
Problem solved!!
Call Leupold described what was going in in detail and made a video. I apparently have a bad turret. It freezes at 1 3/4 revolutions. Supposed to go all 3. Loosening the set screws should allow it to spin 3 times in the track because it’s not engaged or “clicking”. Mine freezes around 1 3/4 Rev’s.
New turret on the way.

Reactions: gits and BigTex
This sucks I just discovered I have one too. Brand new scope. Damn. Won’t go past 13.7Mils.

Have to edit from my above comment. For me it was all a matter of loosening jumping the turret forward tightening and then setting back. Repeat a few times it gives you the full 30+. Of course my zero doesn’t allow me that much but 20+ mils is more than enough. I thought I had the exact problem you did.

Last edited:
How do you zero the scope when it’s elevation needs to be dialed past the zero stop? The directions don’t indicate this. My buddy has one on his 6.5cm, and it just needs a little more adjustment.

How do you zero the scope when it’s elevation needs to be dialed past the zero stop? The directions don’t indicate this. My buddy has one on his 6.5cm, and it just needs a little more adjustment.

Loosen the set screws. Dial it to just say 2 mils. Tighten the screws and dial it back to zero. You just gave yourself 2 more mils of adjustment.

Reactions: aslrookie
Loosen the set screws. Dial it to just say 2 mils. Tighten the screws and dial it back to zero. You just gave yourself 2 more mils of adjustment.
I've got an mk5 that needs to come way down but clockwise passed the zero stop I only get a few clicks. Is this the method I need to use? Turn it counter clockwise and retirement tighten then go down from there?

No, take the turret off and set your zero using a coin in the slot. Once zeroed you can reinstall the turret. The turret actually acts as a zero stop

Reactions: odoylerules
I had this issue too. New turret from Leupold is in the mail, their customer service is truly something we are so lucky to have in this industry.

Since my new turret was coming in, I decided to start playing with the current turret that stopped dead at 20 mils.

Issue is pretty simple. The pin circled in blue travels around the spiral on the inside of the turret.

As it reaches the third revolution, the large black turret button passes over the silver button circled in red. That silver button is part of the third rev indicator.

What happened on mine is the metal rectangular piece that button is part of was frozen in the down position, which prevented the blue pin from continuing any further in the spiral.

That was remedied by pushing up on that red circled plate carefully but firmly with a punch. It still sticks a little, but I can access the third rev now. I bet with some regular use it will free up completely.

Attachments

• IMG_2247.jpeg
    IMG_2247.jpeg
    524.9 KB · Views: 178