• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Solvent

Jackalope33B

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2010
Sunny Florida
If this is in the wrong section, MODS please move it..

I currently use Sweets 762 to clean the copper out my barrel. I must say It does an awesome job. But the Sweets is just for copper and not powder residue. I know over time you might have copper build up, then powder residue, copper again, powder etc etc built up in your barrel.

After using one the cleaners in the barrel, are you guys using a "neutralizer" before using the next solvent so there is no chemical reaction between the 2 solvents? I thought about using NON Chlorinated brake cleaner to flush everything out, but wanted suggestions.

Re: Solvent

I use 50 BMG for my cleaning.

Patch it dry and away I go!!

I stick to Boretech Eliminator. One solvent does everything it needs to. Barrel safe, eco safe and all around awesome.

If you have never tried it your missing out.

Also still working on my 25 year old bottle of Sweet's 7.62 for copper fouling.
I just run 3 or more dry patches through the barrel till it's absolutely dry and use the powder solvent.
When I use the Sweet's I use Bore Tech, Eezox, I think that's how it's spelled, or Hoppes.
I have read somewhere not to use Shooter's Choice, which is my normal powder solvent, with the ammonia such as Sweet's, because the butyl cellusolve reacts with the ammonia and if not completely removed will leave pitting in the barrel.
I suppose you could just run wet patches with water after the ammonia to neutralize it. But remove that immediately also. Just one man's opinion. Enjoy!

Mainly use M-Pro 7 to clean powder. I only use sweets for copper if I see copper or am at 1k+ rounds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kroil. The Butch's Bore Shine. Then Kroil. </div></div>

I use the exact same recipe. Butch's is (IMO) the closest thing to the "Do it all" cleaner you can get.

For my hunting rifles, 5.56, 308, and other high volume stuff (all best quality match grade barrels btw) I just use Wipe out. Just soak the barrel then patch it out (no brush) and the barrels continue to out shoot me for their entire life. Every 200-300 rounds I go to work with Carbout (made by Wipeout) to make sure I keep the throat clear of carbon then follow up with Wipeout to remove the carbon. On match rifles that see a lot of action I usually soak the barrels overnight. Dead simple, no stink, and it works.

On my lower volume ultra precision stuff (6mmbr etc) I clean more often with butches Bore shine. I used to use Kroil, but after investing in some serious bore scope equipment I no longer bother.

Here is a great perspective on barrel cleaning by guys that like 0.1 groups.
6MMBR Bore cleaning

To be honest I think the bore guide and rod you select are more important than what solvent you use.

Peace

Hydrochloric acid will remove all of the copper and powder fouling from your barrel.

It will also destroy it.

Slow and easy. I take 8-10 hours to clean a gun. Its only about 10 minutes of actual work. Let something safe do the work.

Montana Xtreme 50 BMG formula followed by two patches. Clean as a whistle.
wink.gif

+1 on Bore Tech Eliminator. It's fairly mild, but very effective if you let it soak.

For pistol barrels, I put them in a ziploc bag with just enough solvent to fill the barrel, then let it soak overnight. I can then re-use it for another barrel.

For degreasing, cleaning or removing solvent I use CRC QD Electronic Cleaner (QD Contact Cleaner at HDepo). It works like brake cleaner, does not leave residue and does not have any chlorinated stuff in it. Excellent for cleaning trigger groups, muzzle brakes and chambers.

For years I have used Hoppe's #9 and then Hoppe's Bench Rest for copper. Recently changed to Hoppe's #9 for crabon/powder and Montana Extreme for copper. But I use a couple of patches of alcohal between the two to ensure there is no chemical reactions. Then coat the bore with Kroil before storage.

I have been using the Kroil and copper solvent for a while but have startec using "Wipe out" Stuff works real good with almost no work at all.

Boretech eliminator, stuff works great with no smell. When I miss burning my nose and making my eyes run I bust out the aqueous ammonia, that shit peals copper from the barrel. Quite frankly cleaning guns is over rated and it just leads to having to shoot a bunch of rounds to get the accuracy back. To each his own
smile.gif

I have used Wipe Out for a couple of years now. It takes care of eveything and all I have to do is patch it out.

I forgot to pass on another little 'gem' that I learned while in Marineland.

AR15 BCGs are best cleaned with Automatic Transmission Fluid. You wouldn't believe how easy they clean up and stay lubed with an overnight soak in a tuperware tub full of ATF. It's the best alternative that I've found , to date, on cleaning a BCG and it works like a charm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RoosterShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I forgot to pass on another little 'gem' that I learned while in Marineland.

AR15 BCGs are best cleaned with Automatic Transmission Fluid. You wouldn't believe how easy they clean up and stay lubed with an overnight soak in a tuperware tub full of ATF. It's the best alternative that I've found , to date, on cleaning a BCG and it works like a charm. </div></div>
ATF has a large amount of solvents that work well on carbon.

Didnt know that.. Sweet!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RoosterShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I forgot to pass on another little 'gem' that I learned while in Marineland.

AR15 BCGs are best cleaned with Automatic Transmission Fluid. You wouldn't believe how easy they clean up and stay lubed with an overnight soak in a tuperware tub full of ATF. It's the best alternative that I've found , to date, on cleaning a BCG and it works like a charm. </div></div>
ATF has a large amount of solvents that work well on carbon. </div></div>

Do a google search for Ed's Red Bore Cleaner. Make it yourself. It is NOT for copper, but is superior to ANYTHING I've ever tried for carbon, for wad material, etc. A gallon will cost you about $15.00 and it'll last you for YEARS.

1 part kerosene
1 part ATF
1 part Acetone
1 part paint thinnner

Best kept secret of the shooting sports.

I'm not a bolt gun precision shooter and I clean my Chrome lined AR 15 & AR 10 barrels as follows.

I use Dewey coated rods and jags with a soaked patch of Barnes CR-10 and let it sit for 5 minutes followed by another until the patch comes out without any blue from the copper. I then follow with a patch soaked with Kroil. I let the Kroil work for a few minutes and then run a dry patch.

This seems to work for me but I'm open to alternatives.