• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Some Advice on the SCAR 20s

Uh... .4 inches at 1200 yards is like 0.03 moa. At 100 yards . 4 inches is still top end bolt gun accuracy.

From what I understand in a gas gun their will be a torque on the barrel from the gas system causing the barrel to tilt while the bullet is on the barrel. Less gas should result in less off axis force to tip the barrel and thus less deflect/harmonic barrel effects. For the DT MDRx we saw improved accuracy at lower gas settings.
Two separate sentences. .4 was @100y. I shoot 1200y at a 2ft plate. Also, I can't say it would give a .4 over 10 shots. I have a hard time shooting groups over 5 at a time due to my form breaking down and anxiety creeping in trying not to spoil the group. But I have had quite a few 5 shot groups in all my scars in the .5s +/-. I don't generally pay attention to groups at 1200y with my 308's as I'm past subsonic and just find it fun at that range. Any semiauto getting near .5moa is about as good as it gets. Technique is crucial. I shoot it like I shoot a bow. Follow through the whole shot, and try to control the recoil all the way through the cycle. All those moving parts love to pull your shots. I agree the less gas, the less recoil. One thing I believe the scar system has going for it is a monolithic rail and a rather long bolt carrier system that reduces tilt as it as the axis length and track is much longer than your typical ar10 style rifle. It's far from a perfect rifle but I've had a few 308 size platforms over the years and scars are still my favorite.

Two separate sentences. .4 was @100y. I shoot 1200y at a 2ft plate. Also, I can't say it would give a .4 over 10 shots. I have a hard time shooting groups over 5 at a time due to my form breaking down and anxiety creeping in trying not to spoil the group. But I have had quite a few 5 shot groups in all my scars in the .5s +/-. I don't generally pay attention to groups at 1200y with my 308's as I'm past subsonic and just find it fun at that range. Any semiauto getting near .5moa is about as good as it gets. Technique is crucial. I shoot it like I shoot a bow. Follow through the whole shot, and try to control the recoil all the way through the cycle. All those moving parts love to pull your shots. I agree the less gas, the less recoil. One thing I believe the scar system has going for it is a monolithic rail and a rather long bolt carrier system that reduces tilt as it as the axis length and track is much longer than your typical ar10 style rifle. It's far from a perfect rifle but I've had a few 308 size platforms over the years and scars are still my favorite.

A 24" plate at 1200 yards is about 0.2 moa. Are you saying the Scar is less accurate up close?

I am really having a hard time figuring out what to expect from a Scar from your post.

Hornady did an accuracy study on group sizes and basically showed a formula of how to convert the moa of 3 or 5 shot groups to true moa of a rifle which is the rifle pattern after firing infinite shots.

The trick is you can't pick which group is best. The rule applies to every group you shoot first or last so the technique used is average multiple groups good or bad.

They also said that sub moa was really hard and half moa is near impossible.

The formula for group size from a 10 shot group is about 50% larger than a 5 shot group. So if it doesn't grow with number of shots something weird is going on.

A 24" plate at 1200 yards is about 0.2 moa.
Your decimal is in the wrong place. 24” at 1,200 yards is close to 2 MOA.

Here is a chart that shows the number of inches in 1 MOA out to 1,000 yards. To estimate (~less precise), you could multiply 1.1 by the number of yards. This won’t yield the correct number, but it puts you in the ballpark.

Here is a calculator for finding MOA or inches given the other after you’ve entered a distance.

Your decimal is in the wrong place. 24” at 1,200 yards is close to 2 MOA.

Here is a chart that shows the number of inches in 1 MOA out to 1,000 yards. To estimate (~less precise), you could multiply 1.1 by the number of yards. This won’t yield the correct number, but it puts you in the ballpark.

Here is a calculator for finding MOA or inches given the other after you’ve entered a distance.
Ah, thought it looked a bit funny. Thank you.

That swings now the other way 2 inch groups, but maybe that is expected with environmental effects.

Reactions: Coffee_and_Pipes
Love my 20

DE6BC11A-DC9F-4DC7-A5E5-3B462F38750E.jpeg

Newly upgraded Steiner 2.9-20 m7xi
6556361C-6759-4835-AA8E-AAE920D5A4D0.jpeg

There is also the Scaburator from Mototech for the SCAR that allows you to tune the gas setting to be much less over gassed.

Has anyone run one and seen if it improves accuracy?
I will like to know about this as well

I will have my gen 4 scarburator this next week I'll report back

Always wanted to chop my 20S to 18” before I got rid of it. Might have to trade into another and do that.