• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Some of you guys are in for a surprise

I going to have to bow to the wisdom and experience of the culinary wizards here. Maybe I haven't had properly prepared lamb or goat.

So now yall have my curiosity up. Give me a good place in Texas and I'll try it again and report back.
Roughly where abouts in Texas? (I got kin there, so know some of the areas.) Come to think of it, I'd bet San Angelo probably has a decent restaurant there that serves lamb. I mean, it's the "wool capital of the US" (I shit you not), right? (yeah, I know, those aren't the best eating ones)

ETA: Here's a quick look up for Texas

Reactions: mikehotel and lash
Roughly where abouts in Texas? (I got kin there, so know some of the areas.) Come to think of it, I'd bet San Angelo probably has a decent restaurant there that serves lamb. I mean, it's the "wool capital of the US" (I shit you not), right? (yeah, I know, those aren't the best eating ones)
DFW, San Antonio, Lubbock. I travel all over the state frequently.

Reactions: lash
1713473543008.png

I was going to say, "OT" but since we've gone from Savage Sucks Balls to Beef Wellington- what are some decent places to eat in Houston?

I remember back in the day when things first came out, there was a bit of a issue with folks reporting that the AI Competition trigger made the rifle a lot less reliable in adverse conditions (and may have caused it to fail a government procurement test).

For awhile the going discussion was that if you wanted AI reliability then go back to the standard AI trigger group.

I'm not sure if things have changed.
I traded my AI competition trigger group for a spare original trigger group pretty much right after the issues started being reported.

AI_6473_400__63903.jpg

These darn things had both backed out on their own about two full turns. Simple fix. Easy lesson learned.

Goat! Obviously you’ve never eaten barbecue Goat,, cooked by a real connoisseur of goat cooking? That boy is fine eatin, or if you prefer, Fine Dinning.

Got to be slow cooked, to make it nice and tender. Then, transferred to a charcoal grill, to be smoked with plenty of barbecue sauce. Technically not barbecue in the true sense but it goes down darned good.

Now if you want to talk tough eating, chew into mutton. And chew and chew and chew and chew and chew, it just seems to get bigger and tougher the longer that you chew.
Cabrito is probably one of the finest meats you can eat. My uncle was a master at fixing cabrito. I wished I had learned his secret as its now a lost art.

Cabrito is probably one of the finest meats you can eat. My uncle was a master at fixing cabrito. I wished I had learned his secret as its now a lost art.
One of the horse farms that I got to has couple Hispanic guys working there (they've been there for years) . When they do Cabrito at home they make sure to save and bring me some. I know the do it over an open fire pit, don't know what they use for seasoning, but damn its always good!
First time I ever had it was in the early 80's when visiting a friend who had moved to Lubbock. Missed it till these guys starting working at the one farm.

One of the horse farms that I got to has couple Hispanic guys working there (they've been there for years) . When they do Cabrito at home they make sure to save and bring me some. I know the do it over an open fire pit, don't know what they use for seasoning, but damn its always good!
First time I ever had it was in the early 80's when visiting a friend who had moved to Lubbock. Missed it till these guys starting working at the one farm.
It's pretty simple...

DFW, San Antonio, Lubbock. I travel all over the state frequently.
Find you a reputable Mediterranean joint and try some lamb there as well.

Other than that, there used to be a quaint little place on the Afghan/Pakistan border known as BCP 4, that served a killer goat dinner. Might wanna check the latest yelp reviews though, I heard the management has changed some.

Did Cameljockey230 post on a tuner thread?
I see the moderators here hate all tuner threads and Brianf tokay444 308pirate bolt flutter and several others run to lil cranky whenever tuners are mentioned
Let me guess your all bashing pacific tool again and the midget is in another uproar?

200w.gif

I was going to say, "OT" but since we've gone from Savage Sucks Balls to Beef Wellington- what are some decent places to eat in Houston?

It's been a few years since I've lived in Houston, but here's some suggestions:

MF Sushi - best sushi in America, IMO. $$$
Hugos - great upscale Mexican
Crawfish & Noodles - Houston institution. The creators of "Vietnamese crawfish"
Theodore Rex - Upscale American farm to table fare, though I liked Justin Yu's concept "Oxheart" better
Anything Chris Shepherd - though I believe he's left his UB Hospitality group to focus on non-profit efforts

There's probably so many new restaurants that have popped up since I left in 2018. Houston has an incredible culinary scene - IMO the best in the entire country.

This thread has damn near everything. Bannings, food, dick jokes, Savage hate, stuffed squirrels with dildos and even a penis mold. Only thing it needs now is a picture that captures all of that in one shot.

A stock Savage covered in EVOO with a failure to extract living in a dive bar with a dildo as a muzzle brake would probably cover it.

I had it in Mexico around ‘91. A friend I made there, while setting up Maquiladoras in The Reynosa area, knew I liked good food and am adventurous. He took me to a little place that he told me was the best in the area. I believe him because I still talk about it to those that are interested.

Most delicious. 😋

This thread has damn near everything. Bannings, food, dick jokes, Savage hate, stuffed squirrels with dildos and even a penis mold. Only thing it needs now is a picture that captures all of that in one shot.

A stock Savage covered in EVOO with a failure to extract living in a dive bar with a dildo as a muzzle brake would probably cover it.

Isn't that what AI is for?

Sirhr

View attachment 8399563

These darn things had both backed out on their own about two full turns. Simple fix. Easy lesson learned.

The front action screws on my AT-X were not particularly tight when I checked them over after the 2nd or 3rd range outing. Strangely enough the rifle still shot good groups.

When I discovered this I took everything apart on the chassis and action, added some Vibratite VC3 to the action screws front and rear, and snugged up the trigger hanger screws. Someone assembling AT-X’s wasn’t hitting torque specs in the manual.

I’ve had no further issues.

It's been a few years since I've lived in Houston, but here's some suggestions:

MF Sushi - best sushi in America, IMO. $$$
Hugos - great upscale Mexican
Crawfish & Noodles - Houston institution. The creators of "Vietnamese crawfish"
Theodore Rex - Upscale American farm to table fare, though I liked Justin Yu's concept "Oxheart" better
Anything Chris Shepherd - though I believe he's left his UB Hospitality group to focus on non-profit efforts

There's probably so many new restaurants that have popped up since I left in 2018. Houston has an incredible culinary scene - IMO the best in the entire country.
Thanks. I was going to try Georgia James which is also a UB property that came highly recommended. Trying to find a few other places that have decent bbq and chicken for everyday.

Reactions: kthomas
I had it for the first time in January in Puerto Vallarta off of one of the street vendor's carts.

Dayum, was it good ! :eek: :love:
Heck, you probably had your first(?) taste of dog. When I was in Athens, Greece, you'd see dogs around the cart venders, then you wouldn't. Was still good eat'n tho! Mac:ROFLMAO:

Ok,
so after 12 pages, we all realize that if you have an issue with a SH sponsor, you do the following:

1. Contact them directly, by phone first, email second.

2. If not resolved, contact me, I might be able to get it sorted.

3. Still not resolved, post your issue for the world to see

Thanks for listen to my Ted Talk

Oh oh!!!!! If ANYONE goes through or lives in Lubbock, Texas. I HIGHLY recommend Las Brisas!!! It’s a fantastic hidden little gem! They have certified Japanese Wagyu steak, 12oz steak for $100 (TWELVE OUNCES!!!!!!)

It was my first time ever having it because i never had the opportunity to have it before. And it was Valentine’s Day Frank told me to get it. HOLY CRAP, it was awesome!
IMG_4874.jpeg

Oh oh!!!!! If ANYONE goes through or lives in Lubbock, Texas. I HIGHLY recommend Las Brisas!!! It’s a fantastic hidden little gem! They have certified Japanese Wagyu steak, 12oz steak for $100 (TWELVE OUNCES!!!!!!)

It was my first time ever having it because i never had the opportunity to have it before. And it was Valentine’s Day Frank told me to get it. HOLY CRAP, it was awesome! View attachment 8399602

That looks perfectly cooked! Nice!

If you have a taste for it... KC Cattle Company.... Veteran Owned. They have amazing Wagyu and often have sales that don't break the bank. Awesome guys!! Great business.

Not affiliated. But bought a lot of their stuff as company gifts, etc. It's always amazing.

Cheers,

Sirhr

• Love
Reactions: Sparky
I'm just in to recommend Steak Diane, after seeing that Wellington, and reading about mustard and mushrooms, and savages.
Flambeed is the way: Dad used to turn the lights off and intentionally hit the ceiling with the flames, hilarious.
What an entertaining Spring Cleaning thread this has been...
Best goat I had was in northern NM, started cooking in an orno, ended up in a red-chile posole stew.
Dinner time.

I never knew that Olive was suppose to be a black woman… till like 4 months ago! Crazy!!! Just a little information for the old 🧠 housing group! 😊
I'm just hearing this for the first time- Popeye's Olive Oyl was supposed to be a Black character?

That looks perfectly cooked! Nice!

If you have a taste for it... KC Cattle Company.... Veteran Owned. They have amazing Wagyu and often have sales that don't break the bank. Awesome guys!! Great business.

Not affiliated. But bought a lot of their stuff as company gifts, etc. It's always amazing.

Cheers,

Sirhr
Thanks!!!! I will take a look! Man! And it had bone marrow butter with truffle oil mixed in it. OH MY GOSH! It was to die for! I need to learn how to make Bone Marrow butter 🤤

Reactions: Threadcutter308
If you're ever in Amarillo, TX. stop at the famous Big Texan Steakhouse and take the 72 ounce steak challenge.

https://www.bigtexan.com/72-oz-steak/

I've been there... Stayed in the little motel, too!

First big texan 2.jpg

DIdn't do the 72 ounce challenge, though there were a couple of people there doing it.

I was expecting the place to be touristy (it was) and offer really 'middlin' steaks with the 72 ounce gimmick.

WRONG!!! One of the best steaks ever. I just got a 24oz ribeye with sides. Done Pittsburgh rare and with some blackening. Holy crap was it good. My buddies steaks were similarly perfectly cooked. Beef was fantastic. It's touristy. Which is the point. But hot damn is it a place for a great steak!

Not far from Cadillac Ranch... Another must-stop spot on Rt. 66! That was Oct 2008. Right in the middle of the financial meltdown. Listening to people call for a New Depression... while re-tracing the route of the Joad Family. Interesting time!

Thanks for the great memory!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Men you have never lived until you have eaten cajun cooked by an old Cajun lady whose last name is like Brossard, Landry, Boudreaux, or Richard (pronounced REE-shard)

Its Slap-Yo-Mama Good.
Isn't Papadeaux part of the "Houston Local Chain" of restaurants that is Papacitos, Mamacitos, etc? I used to go to those during the 1990's and they were wicked good Mexican. Loved the 'Tortilla-making' machines in the front of the restaurants.

Remember The Crazy Cajun restaurant in Clear Lake? Right on NASA Rt. 1 by El Lago? Loved eating at that place. Cajun steak was first rate. So much good food down there.

Oh and Tamale-cart Tamales on Galveston Island. Dripping in lard.... ummmmmmmmmm

Sirhr

Reactions: LeftyJason
I've been there... Stayed in the little motel, too!

View attachment 8399633

DIdn't do the 72 ounce challenge, though there were a couple of people there doing it.

I was expecting the place to be touristy (it was) and offer really 'middlin' steaks with the 72 ounce gimmick.

WRONG!!! One of the best steaks ever. I just got a 24oz ribeye with sides. Done Pittsburgh rare and with some blackening. Holy crap was it good. My buddies steaks were similarly perfectly cooked. Beef was fantastic. It's touristy. Which is the point. But hot damn is it a place for a great steak!

Not far from Cadillac Ranch... Another must-stop spot on Rt. 66! That was Oct 2008. Right in the middle of the financial meltdown. Listening to people call for a New Depression... while re-tracing the route of the Joad Family. Interesting time!

Thanks for the great memory!

Cheers,

Sirhr
Gf and I stop there on the way to Lubbock.

I just worked my own appetite up looking at those pics. I'm going to throw a steak in the skillet.

• Love
Heck, you probably had your first(?) taste of dog. When I was in Athens, Greece, you'd see dogs around the cart venders, then you wouldn't. Was still good eat'n tho! Mac:ROFLMAO:
Not that I know of.........

When I was a kid, our family would go to "Tai Tung" Chinese restaurant in Seattle for Sunday dinner. The health department was constantly raiding their dumpster, finding cat's heads and shutting them down. We didn't care. So yeah, I've probably had cat too. Many, many times.

Reactions: 10ring'r and lash
Taste of Texas is good. Went there once many years ago. Where I first tried cheesecake too.

Pappas family of restaurants are great.
SmartSelect_20240418_171107_Chrome.jpg

Goodson's Cafe in Tomball is really good for chicken fried steak.

Mel's Country Cafe in Tomball is also really good. Used to work in Tomball. Not big not expensive either. Used to get one of their lunch specials. Chicken and dumplings with sides of green beans, mashed potatoes, and an extra side of green beans.

Well, just FYI, if you go over seas and you see horse meat (besides Europe) don’t eat it. They import horse meat from the US, and 99.9% of the time our horses have phenylbutazone aka Bute which is over the counter pain medication given in the muscle, once the body has been introduced it never leaves their body. It causes brain tumors, liver failure and arsenic poisoning in humans. Korea has had a massive increase in all of those diseases and causes of death all linked to horse meat.

About 90% of Europe has banned American slaughter horses. Europe requires vet records in order for horses to go to human consumption. Mostly they breed and raise horses like cattle for meat.

Well, just FYI, if you go over seas and you see horse meat (besides Europe) don’t eat it. They import horse meat from the US, and 99.9% of the time our horses have phenylbutazone aka Bute which is over the counter pain medication given in the muscle, once the body has been introduced it never leaves their body. It causes brain tumors, liver failure and arsenic poisoning in humans. Korea has had a massive increase in all of those diseases and causes of death all linked to horse meat.

About 90% of Europe has banned American slaughter horses. Europe requires vet records in order for horses to go to human consumption. Mostly they breed and raise horses like cattle for meat.
If i go to far east i expect to be served local fed cat not horse.

Coppertox is probably even worse then bute and regumate for the mares.
I don’t know the studies on coppertox or regumate, but I’m going on a limb and say there’s probably a lot less horses given either of those than Bute in the slaughter pipeline. Bute is cheap and easy. Coppertox is mostly an farrier thing and regiment is expensive and most will put their bitchy mare in a kill pen and make $2.18per pound before sinking that kind of money into her to fix her hormone imbalance. And judging what Bute does to the human body, it’s enough to make never want it.

Last edited:

Apparently someone else is ahead of us on the dildo muzzle device.

IMG_0232.jpeg

Not that I know of.........

When I was a kid, our family would go to "Tai Tung" Chinese restaurant in Seattle for Sunday dinner. The health department was constantly raiding their dumpster, finding cat's heads and shutting them down. We didn't care. So yeah, I've probably had cat too. Many, many times.
This conversation just brought up the memories of being TDY to a few countries, and some of the possible strange foods I've encountered. In Greece, they were called "Souflaki" stands. Was supposed to be lamb on those sticks, but it was tough as shit. Still good, especially after tying on on for the night(s).
We could talk weird German and Filipino foods, too. Mac(y)

There’s a Chinese buffet style place in Gillette, WY that I used to go to when I was in town. Next door to a pet store.

The pet store went under.

The food quality at the Chinese joint wasn’t as good.

Coincidence? Maybe.

Lamb rocks, I love it
Me too. Dunno WTF these other guys were eating but I love good lamb.

Yo @Sparky , invite me to dinner for lamb and I’ll bring the high end scotch. Just not the night before I have to get up and shoot. I wanted to hang myself the next morning and it was really embarrassing to see you at the range bright eyed and bushy tailed. Getting old sucks.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

This conversation just brought up the memories of being TDY to a few countries, and some of the possible strange foods I've encountered. In Greece, they were called "Souflaki" stands. Was supposed to be lamb on those sticks, but it was tough as shit. Still good, especially after tying on on for the night(s).
We could talk weird German and Filipino foods, too. Mac(y)
Doner Kebab all over Germany.... Ummmmmmm

Sirhr