• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Some parts of a mates Grandad's story from the war

Droopz

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 30, 2009
NT, Australia
Although this is private, these memories are dying off so I thought some of you may be interested.

These are some notes taken from a buddie's Grandad's computer (yes, he had a computer for a few years before he passed away). A lot of this was lost and/or never saved but some was recovered, so apologies if it doesn't really go anywhere in the end. It is told in that classic, slightly rambling way, that these stories are best told.

When I asked the grandson if he minded if I on-posted these he was gad to see it spread.

---------------------------------------

MY history Pt.2 John.P.D
Somewhere I recall writing up until the time I went into the Army. Arrived at Essendon Drill Hall August 1940, Denis and myself, we tried to explain that Gary, Our youngest Brother, was a Downs Syndrome child, probably then we did not know that this was the name of the condition. Mother received forms, and had to take Gary to the Doctor and have the forms filled out, there were others who, though of low mental standard, were accepted, and many months were to pass before they were withdrawn from service. I recall one chap, who, when released from service perhaps eighteen months later in Queensland, arrived back in civilian clothes to join us.

I was next to Dave McCullough at the interview table at the Essendon Drill hall, we had gone through school together and had been mates for many years and had gone out at night to Pictures or Dances together. When asked what Branch of the Army I wished to be in, I said I did not know and did not care. Dave was driving a Truck in Civvy life and said he wanted to be in transport, as he was a driver. I was placed in the AASC as a recruit Driver, and Dave was placed in the Infantry I never saw Dave again, as he went into the 39th Battalion. The reason for this was that the Army in their wisdom, thought it was better to train new drivers than to break an old driver out of perhaps bad habits. If I had gone to the 39th Battalion, I would most likely have died on the Kokoda trail.

We were at this point of time only in camp for three months, out for three and then in again for three. This was because there was such a large call-up that the camp could not cope, so we were divided into two echelons. One of these camps I was refused permission to go as I was in a protected service I was a Mail Sorter at Spencer St

When we were finally called up for Active Service, Jan 1942, immediately after the Japs bombed Pearl Harbour, I was approached to transfer to a Postal Unit being formed. I was offered three stripes as an inducement to assist the training of recruits; I had been in the PMG for four years and was in the Mail Branch as a Grade.1. Mail Officer. I had been in camp with Denis, and had made some good mates, and looking hindwards, was foolish enough to refuse this offer. How many times in life I was to look back and regret past decisions, but I really cannot regret, or would even think of changing my past life and the best of the best, wonderful girl whom I had courted and married, Maureen. Why in Gods name would I change that, and the happy times we have had, in amongst the bad ones, and the wonderful eight children we had reared, perhaps even as much the great mates with whom I went through some good and some bad times. Enough sentimentality, on with the tale.

We had some great times at Seymour, just as well, as the camp would have driven some people mad. Living in rows of tents on floorboards, six men to a tent. When we arrived we were issued a chaff bag and told to go to a hut filled with straw and fill the Bag, this, called a Palliasse, was to be our mattress while at Seymour, Camp.17. We never had a mattress for the rest of our time in the Army; we had blankets, either on a wooden floor or on the ground. If we were in a place long enough we placed poles through a chaff bag, or other bags, and strung them from forked or crossed sticks. If we could get the timber we made a timber frame and nailed the bags to it

At Seymour, At six PM every evening the sanitary crew placed a lavatory can at the end of each row of tents, these were used to urinate in, no matter if some of the visitors on Sunday, which was an open day, had not left. Many soldiers probably got a thrill out of flashing, though such a thing was not known in those times

The Cookhouse was in a long shed with large open serving windows, we filed past these windows, with three or four kitchen fatigue workers ladling out food. We had tin plates. First on this was the meat, Mutton mainly, from which we had to brush the maggots if we wanted to eat it, then vegetables. At the end was Desert, mainly rice studded with currants, it was impossible to separate the weevils, but at least they were cooked. These mess huts had open doors and windows through which the flies and red dust swept. There was no cutting the meat off the Bone for a stew, it was chopped up, bones and all and the stew was full of pieces of bone chips.

The toilets and showers were also in long tin huts, [I forgot to mention that the cookhouse and Mess huts were also uninsulated,] What? Tin sheds insulated. These were left over from WW 1

There were of course no cubicles, and we sat in a row like cockatoos on a fence, opposite those who were showering. Now this was a part of Army life. In those days there was absolutely no Privacy in any form, dressing, undressing, sleeping, eating, showering, and the other, we lived in tents together, in my case for about four and a half years, so is it any wonder that our friendships were closer even than family life, or blood ties. Closer than Brothers many of us were, and this is what Anzac Day and reunions mean for us, We do not, as some people say, Glorify War, we meet and talk of the good times we have had, sometimes of the amusing or bad times, and at other times we grow solemn and pensive as we recall those great and friendly fellows, who had shared so much with us, times good and bad, and whom we would never meet again. We think “He was a wonderful chap, happy, strong, in great health, would give you the shirt off his back, why did he have to die, He was a great strapping fellow, I thought he would last forever”. Cancer, no doubt, has been the lot of most of them. Which brings me back to, [How did I ever forget him] my old best mate Tom Brazil. Tom went through Army life without touching a drop of the demon drink. Tom was my co-driver in Queensland, and many times when I was over, perhaps, 15, Tom drove me back to camp. I went to see Tom just before he died of Cancer in 1995, and he remarked that he had had a drink of sarsaparilla in all 27 pubs in Maryborough, keeping me and others company while we sampled the beer. “Many the time I got you out of a hot spot Jack” he said. I often wonder whether he meant a fight or trouble with our CO back at camp. It wouldn’t have been the CO as he was shit frightened of me, truly. I might mention here that I saw the CO one night and said,” If we go up forward you better not get in front of me as you will get a bullet up the arse” From then I was his pet. I never went on a route march and always had a cushy job at camp. Most likely if we had either Ken Jenkins, or “Spud” Myers with us, it would have been a fight. It is well to mention here that, when I met Tom again at my first reunion, I had stopped drinking and, for Pete's sake, Tom had started drinking. You bloody so-and-so, “Jack” He said, “I have been saying for years, that one thing I most wanted to do, was to enjoy having a beer with you, and now, Bugger it all, you have gone on the water wagon”

Re: Some parts of a mates Grandad's story from the war

Many lifelong bonds were made here, Ted “Spud” Myers, Dec. Fred “Bluey” Dalton [Dec.] Frank Green, Many others whom I regret to say have all gone. Still here though are, George “Shorty” Carter, Alex Dodd, and not to say the least, Jack Swan. While in Maryvale Hospital twice in 95/96 Jack came every day and we talked for two hours each day that is what friends are made of.

I very much recall sitting round a campfire in the jungle of New Guinea, With Jack, and Bill Cook, who incidentally was our Cook. Shorty,“Bluey”Dalton,“Spud”Myers and others, singing either” Keep on the Sunny Side of Life”, or at times,” Back, Back, Back, to Bacchus Marsh which was “Cookies” home town. I had not been to a Reunion since perhaps 1946. Really I did not know that there was one till about 1990. I went along, and one of the first to meet me was Alex, straight away he said “I've got a photo of you and I together on
At this, first for many years Reunion, I was devastated to hear the names read out of those who had deceased, “Spud” had been gone for twelve years, and I did not know, Freddie “Bluey”, Jack Holloway, and dozens of others. I remember being shipwrecked and being rescued by Yank barges, this was off the coast of New Guinea. There was a heavy swell running and we had to jump onto the barge as it came alongside and up, if one did not jump, within seconds, the barge was twelve feet down and about six foot out from the boat, if any man missed the barge, with all his gear on he was gone forever.

Jack Holloway froze to the rail, and I had to prise his fingers off the rail, and then when the barge came up again, threw him into it and jumped myself. We got ashore and were taken to the Yank camp. I forget what sort of a meal we had that night, but in the morning we had really wonderful porridge, must have been John Bull oats, it was really good and the milk was from Sweden, I think, and half full cream, the best breakfast I had for many a long day and I could never say again of any Army breakfast.
I guess there have been thousands of soldiers, since Gallipoli, and in every theatre of War since, who have gone to the bottom, not only at sea, but many times in rivers, Bougainville was one case, when at least one truckload of Soldiers went to their doom when a truck slipped off a Pontoon bridge.

To go back a little. We had been flown across the Owen Stanley’s and landed at Dobadura and then walked to Poppindetta where we were in Yank tents, they had probably been abandoned, as they were well past their prime, great rips and holes

It was amazing that when the Yanks moved out of a camp that they left loads of gear behind, on one occasion we dropped into where a Yank Unit had been, there were camp stretchers in the foxholes, a great bonus for us, the ones that got them of course, also at this camp was a Browning 50- calibre machine gun on a Tripod, brand new, one of our Officers attached this to a captured Jap Barge, to go fishing in. This was at Nassau bay.

We stayed at Poppindetta for almost a week, here the rations were a tin of Bully beef for three men each meal, and two Army biscuits to go with it. And you can believe me, that anything you have ever heard about what Army biscuits were like in those days was not that far wrong. We moved from here down to Buna all the way was mostly swampland and when we saw the beach there were Jap bodies everywhere, I don't think there was a top on any coconut palm in a huge plantation, all ripped off by shellfire. A lot of this was intentional, as the top of a Palm tree was a favourite hiding place for a Jap sniper

We left here at dusk, about a hundred of us lying on the deck {If you could find a place to lie down]. After a few minutes there was a burst of Machine-gun fire over our heads. We were now in sight of the Japanese at Salamaua. The Captain roared out.” If any other man lights a match I will lower the sights” This was the ship, which ran up on a reef.
For the next few weeks we fared a little better as we were on Iron Rations, a sealed tin, with, I think a days rations in it, such things as a block of compressed fruit, compressed chocolate, some tea, sugar, a couple of lollies. The Yank ration was better as there were cigarettes in it. We each had a little tin stove and in the tin there was a cake of compressed fuel to heat up the tin of M&V. [Meat and Vegetables], which you had to be desperately hungry to eat. While camped at Nassau Bay the Major made the cooks serve this up to us cold, to toughen us up, he said, at this stage he even had us lined up in Parade order with Boots polished to take our Atebrin pills by numbers.

When we arrived at Nassau Bay we moved in line down a track, Both Ken Jenkins and my self saw a can of Jap fish, Ken kicked it into the scrub and when we made camp we both went back and got it and had a shared meal, not giving a thought to booby traps or poisoned food, we were too hungry to think about that. One night here, there was a burst of shots. It was one of the guards peppering the Majors shirt hung out to dry; he claimed he thought it was a Jap coming at him.

We arrived at Nassau Bay by Barge, when we hit shore the landing gate dropped down, and one Officer, Jim Greer, rushed forward, waving his pistol and shouting, “Follow me Men.” He jumped in to the water and immediately disappeared, with his cap floating on top. How was he to know that there was a hole there, this may have been a godsend for someone else as he was not carrying any gear, the rest of us were in full gear, Rifle, Packs, Gas Masks, Steel helmet. {We had not as yet thrown these last two items away]

A few days later we came back to this same beach, and here was a Yank Unit cooking steak, on oil stoves, made our mouths water it did. We were sent back as a working party to unload the Yanks barges for them, this meant putting a case on your shoulder and trudging up the sand incline to the dump. On board was a stack of Rye bread, round loaves, we had not seen bread for many weeks, we formed in a line to pass the bread from hand to hand, and as each man got a loaf of bread he would take a bite out of it each loaf that reached the end of the line had all the outside eaten off it.

Here at Nassau Bay we heard that a Jap Patrol had ambushed an Aussie Patrol. Evidently the Aussie Patrol had been out for some time, and had not spotted any Jap Patrols; they came to a large pool in the Bitoi River and stripped off for a well-earned bathe. They were wrong about there being no Japs in the vicinity, as the Japs caught them napping in the water, there must have been some of the Aussies got away, one or two to get back to our lines to tell the story of the Ambush, and another as I will relate further. I think there is more on other disks.

(Last bit.)

Our CO called four of us to his tent. Myself Snow Bell, Fred Dalton and one other and told us we were to go to the Yank HQ, and pick up two jeeps and go by barge to TAMBU bay to drive wounded back from the front to the advanced dressing station, also any prisoners brought in. I recall one Jap prisoner badly wounded, two MPs had him in a tent, he was unable to move and to wash him they dragged him down to the beach and let the waves wash him. The time came for him to be taken to Port Moresby and they took him in a barge, he was unable to move. A couple of hours later they were back, and said he had attempted to escape, had jumped overboard and they had to shoot him.

While here, we were camped near Roosevelt Ridge at the best spot for barges to come. Every day the Japs from the other side of the ridge shelled us. The yanks were closer to the ridge and the guns trajectory was not enough to drop shells on them, but we were in the ideal spot. On top of this a Jap plane came over every afternoon “ Washing machine Charlie” we called him, dropped a couple of bombs then did a couple of strafing runs up and down the area, which was only a few hundreds wide. Fred and I dug a slit trench and the next day made it longer and put palm trunks over it, even then we could see daylight at the end and could hear the shells exploding so we made a right angle at the end and covered it so we felt safer.

I had a jeep with no brakes, they were a wonderful machine, I often drove across a creek with a bag across the front and I was sitting in water. The track was only wide enough for one; at one stage it took a right turn at a native village. I got to this corner one day and met a truck, the only one in the area, coming at me, having no brakes I went straight forward under a native long house, about four feet off the ground just enough for me to duck down, luckily it was in a straight line. Other times, to stop, you just drove into the jungle, of course we only drove about ten-fifteen MPH and another way to stop was, if going slowly enough, was to jam it into reverse, what a wonderful machine. I don’t recall using oil or grease, but I must have filled it with petrol.

A Sally Man {Salvation Army} had erected a small tin hut to serve coffee and biscuits. He must have had a hole dug under it, because after every strafing run we could count more holes in the hut and as soon as the plane had gone he had a row of tins filled with hot coffee waiting for us. Once we had a day off and four of us went exploring, we got to a bamboo hut and there were jap shoes and papers lying around, on our way back we came across a patrol creeping up to take the hut.

Snowy and I had to lay steel tracks for a small plane to land on the beach; this was I think, a Tiger Moth, spotting for the artillery. The pilot asked me if I would like to go up for a ride, He said, “There are some small bombs in the back there, I will tell you when to throw them over. “We flew over, nearly to Salamaua, with him telling me when to throw out a bomb. I could hear bullets whistling past and when we landed at base, he got out a puncture outfit and began mending the bullet holes in the fuselage. That was the one and only time I went up with him.
The yanks would come in from patrol and dump almost all their gear, except for their rifles and small arms. We would get land mines and grenades, go out to the rocks and pull a pin and throw them in the sea, in a few moments there were stunned fish floating up. Somewhere near the estuary of a creek was a good fishing spot, but sharks also knew about the fish and one day I saw a chap wading in chest high and holding a fish in each hand and a shark shot up and grabbed one fish. We did not worry about sharks when we went fishing, natives would shout and wave their arms if they saw a fin. Our main worry was the shells, some of which would land in the water, I saw some of the boys still swimming when they hit the sand in a rush to get to a fox-hole.

I was given a trailer, which I had never backed up before, and it was impossible to reverse in the sand, so I had perforce to unhitch the trailer and push it by hand up to a barge, and then hitch the jeep back on. I had to go up a trail to deliver shells, it was a very narrow track and some of the boys would push the empty trailer up the hill while I turned around, and then hitch it back on again. The track along the beach was very narrow and was made by a bulldozer pushing all the rubbish to one side. One day I had loaded my trailer from a barge, and I had a WO1 in the front, we always had the windscreen lying flat, the shelling started and there was only one way out. Snowy stalled his jeep in this and shot over the front and into a foxhole. I tried to go over a heap of rubbish and stalled, of course I went over the front and also into a foxhole The stupid WO1, Called “Bull” Eddy because of the way he roared at us, and whom we all hated, sat in the jeep and kept roaring out, “ Some body get me out of here” A dozen voices roared out “ Get your f…ing self out. The beachmaster, “Black Jack” McCullough was standing on a stump with shells whistling past, roaring, “Somebody get those jeeps out of there”, the same voices told him the same thing. There were two occasions when I should have been court martialled, this was one, and the other was when I threatened to shoot our CO.

Half a dozen of us, who had nothing better to do went exploring. We reached a small coconut plantation where there was a small hut. The Japs had left quickly, as there were Jap clothes and papers spread around we fossicked round a little and then headed home, shortly we met a Commando platoon creeping up to capture the hut which had been a Jap observation post.

Some of us from the Beach were sent forward by barge to LAE, which had just fallen, and the others of our Unit went into Salamaua which had also been taken. We spent a night with AASC HQ and had a couple of meals there ,we were sitting on a mound eating when one noticed maggots crawling out of the mound, there was a Jap buried there in a shallow grave.

Next we went to join a Unit which had just arrived from Australia, this was on the Melehang strip just out of LAE. We were last on the line for a meal when the air raid siren sounded. The others ran, and we walked up to the front and started filling our plates. An officer rushed up and bawled “Why aren’t you men in your slit trenches” One of our blokes stuttered {On purpose} “B-u- but s- s- sir no one dug any f-f-for us
S- s- sir. The Officer was a bit nonplussed and roared, “Why aren’t you men wearing Your gas masks and steel helmets?” Another of our boys said “We threw them away a year ago Sir” With that the Officer rushed off to join his crew in a foxhole while we continued with our meal. We had indeed thrown our gasmasks and steel helmets months previously; they were useless in the jungle. Our Unit moved in at the other end of the strip and we joined them. We did a bit of supply work here and most of us had a case of tinned fruit under our bunks. Working at the dumps we would get a lid off a four gallon drum, with a raised edge, put this on a fire, open a tin of sausages with a bayonet and there was our ready made Bar-B-Que, though no one had as yet come up with this word, it arrived many years later. We were playing cards one night, when there was a thunderous roar; a Jap plane had sneaked in under the Radar. We heard the bomb leaving the plane and threw ourselves to the ground. The bomb missed us by perhaps fifty yards but lifted us perhaps six inches off the ground.

There was a stage at the start of the strip where concerts were held, also a two-up school. I had learnt by this time to only take ten shillings with me, and if I lost this I was out
I don’t recall much about leaving LAE, except marching from where we had been camped down to the dock. Don’t recall anything about the trip only being at a staging camp outside Townsville. We had leave at any time while waiting for a train, things were not all that well organised. One thing was that the camp had a canteen with BEER. You queue up and when you reached the bar, which was a trestle table you saw that a barrel had been tapped and was running into a metal pot, from, there it was dished out with a metal ladle into your tin mug which held perhaps over half a pint. It was flat and awful but you went back to the tail of the line to get a second helping. There was a hotel opposite the camp across the rail line but there was never any activity there. When we did go into Townsville we never found a pub with beer this was the only activity you had in a staging camp, to go and look for beer.

Thanks for sharing. That was great.

The "beachmaster, "black jack" McCullough mentioned above was my Dad, he was a Major serving with the 3rd. Australian Infantry Division, 15th Brigade AASC, the same unit as John P.D., John served with the 152nd. Australian General Transport Company. "Black Jack" was CO of this Unit at inseption in Australia, and in Port Moresby when the Unit first arrived in NG., he then took command of the Ist. Australian Supply Depot Company in Wau and other areas until their return to Australia. I am the researcher for the 3rd. Division AASC Assosiation, Melbourne, [15th. Brigade AASC] and have set up a web site to record those who served in this AASC unit, you may like to visit. CLICK HERE
I WOULD LIKE TO BE IN CONTACT WITH JOHN P.D. 'S GRANDSON, could you please advise him of my connection to his Granfather and our website set up to his Unit. Best Regards