• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Some practical buying advice for a newbie?

pittfurg

Private
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2012
Columbus, OH
Hi everyone,

First, let me just say that I've been a lurker here for some time; this forum has really helped me with understanding precision and distance shooting far and away better than any other source I've sought out, including other rifle owners. And I also apologize in advance for the somewhat long post, but I come here to get some practical buying advice for my first precision rifle.

In terms of experience, I'm relatively new to shooting in general. I started shooting about a year and a half ago having getting started later in life than most (at the age of 31). But I'm hooked; I love going to the range and just plunking away with my various pistols, learning the intricacies of becoming a consistent marksman and continuing to improve. I've found as a whole, most people who shoot are extremely friendly. It's been a great experience and my only regret is not starting sooner.

I purchased my first AR earlier this year: A colt M4 sportier. Previously, my only rifle experience was my grandfather's old Sears and Roebuck .22. But once I got the M4 onto an indoor range (75 feet) and took the time to learn how to zero the sights, clean and maintain the rifle, and read up on proper rifle handling and shooting, I love it.

But so far, my only experience has been indoors. Living in central Ohio, I would have thought there would be more outdoor ranges within reasonable driving distance, but the closest one to me is a 100 yd range in a state park about 30 minutes north of where I live. Now that the weather is warming up, I'm considering picking up a larger caliber rifle (most likely .308) to shoot outdoors. I'm excited at the prospect of shooting in a more dynamic environment than the controlled indoor environment of the range. Learning how to adjust for drop, wind and other factors seems like a challenge, but a rewarding one. And while my M4 would (probably?) perform well at 100 yards, I'm always looking for a new toy to purchase
smile.gif

Now, just like every other forum on the internet, opinions on what is "best" runs deep. I'm not here today to ask you for what I should buy; I know that, from reading other posts, that I'll get many different answers. While the issue of cost isn't a big deal to me, my main concern is quality; cost comes second. After having read up on here (mostly) and other sites on the internet, I've come up with a better solution: I'd like to share my thoughts on what I'm considering, and perhaps solicit honest feedback that my choices are sound and that I'm not making any bad decisions. My main fear is that I'll purchase something sub-par when there are other, better alternatives out there. And while the range I'll be visiting is only 100 yards, once I comfortable shooting out of doors I'll really start looking for other places to shoot too so I can continue to up my distance.

So, having said all of that, what am I looking at? Well, here we go. These aren't ranked in any sort of order. Just more of a list that I'm compiling.

1. <span style="font-weight: bold">GA Precision GAP-10.</span>: I found out about GA precision mostly from these forums, but I've heard other people say amazing things about the rifles. I also like that I can customize the rifle straight from them, getting what I want in the gun straight away. The price, when compared to other rifles I am looking it, is actually reasonable as well. The only problem? They are currently running anywhere from two to four months from the time I place my order to when I'll actually receive the rifle. After speaking to a man named Dustin, who was very courteous, the process seems simple: pay your money, get a rifle. However... maybe I'm just being naive, but plunking down that amount of money for now solid delivery date is not something I'm exactly comfortable doing. I realize that they're a reputable company, and I have no doubt they'll deliver. But I'm interested in getting started sooner than 2 - 4 months from now, as well. Part of me is telling me to be patient, but while other options exist, I will consider this if the other guns I am thinking don't work out.

2. <span style="font-weight: bold">Springfield M1A (or M21)</span>: On the other side of that coin, these guns seem to be in ready supply around here. And they all seem to offer great accuracy at a cost that can't be beat. And to get the extra accuracy and quality, I'm even considering the M21. But my main concern here is the recoil: if I understand it, unlike my M4 or other free-floating AR's that there is significantly more muzzle climb and this rifle requires a lot more patience than other semis. But having never shot one, I obviously do not know.

3. <span style="font-weight: bold">SIG 716 Precision Marksman</span> Strangely, I cannot find much information about this gun. I first stumbled across it in the 2011 SIG Sauer catalogue while looking for a new .45 (that I have since purchased). On paper, it's impressive: 2 stage trigger, 3 position gas valve, 20" barrel, Magpul PRS stock, and it's a SIG, who make guns that I very much enjoy and seem to have a loyal following as well. But all the dealers I talk to can't seem to get it in stock; they can get the regular 716 models but not this one. Also curious is that at one time it was a product that was selectable on their web site, but the link is no longer there (but you can still get there via Google). Price wise, it's almost in line with the GAP-10. Does anyone have experience with them, or know why they're a hard find?

4. <span style="font-weight: bold">FN SCAR 17</span> I've always liked FN hardware, and the SCAR is a heck of a gun, but my buddy just bought one; we can't have the same equipment, right
smile.gif
But seriously, with only 16" of barrel, what's the long range performance of the gun look like? Is it a viable option in the class of the guns above? Or should I go for something with more precision features?

5. <span style="font-weight: bold">LWRC REPR</span> I will admit, I had never heard of this company of this rifle prior to reading threads on this forum. But after getting tipped to them, they certainly look like they make a quality firearm. The price is a bit more than the others, but again, I'm not so worried about that at the moment. They seem to have a similar ordering process as GA Precision, but they appear to take deposits instead of a lump sum. I have not spoken to them as to their ordering process or availability, yet.

So that's the list. And let me be clear in case I wasn't in my earlier paragraph: I'm new at this. I'm not expecting to spend money and suddenly be a world-class shooter. I know it takes time and patience to master any skill, and precision shooting is certainly no exception. Again, my main focus is getting the right equipment to start, and avoiding anything that will not perform well or has problems. I value everyone's time and comments, and I thank you in advance for suffering through my massive (first) post. I look forward to what you all have to say. I have so many more questions, and while I'm still learning lot, I figured this was a good place to start.

Thanks again!

/pittfurg

Re: Some practical buying advice for a newbie?

Welcome to the hide!

IMO, you can't go wrong with any of your choices. The Sig I'm unfamiliar with, but I'm sure its high quality. The M1A is a different beast than anything else you mentioned, but can be mastered no problem. That being said, here is my advice.

Start with a remington SPS .308. Invest in a high quality optic for it, and spend the rest on ammo to practice. Then as your skills increase, spend money upgrading it to what you want. The only way you can learn what you truly want in a rifle is by shooting the piss out of it. The Remington 700 has a giant aftermarket availability, and you will find no shortage of parts for it.

If you absolutely have to have a semi auto, get the REPR.

GAP 10. Buy the most expensive optics you can possibly afford. Buy once cry once.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dlxcupid</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">GAP-10. Buy the most expensive optics you can possibly afford. Buy once, cry once.</span></div></div>

This right here. ^^^

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dlxcupid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">GAP 10. Buy the most expensive optics you can possibly afford. Buy once cry once. </div></div>

Based on the choices you listed, go with the GAP. Get great glass and you can't go wrong. Very good first post. You had me at "I read the other posts". Nothing like seeing "Which .308 Platform to buy/is the best" every freaking week. Welcome to The Hide.

I don't think you will go wrong with the GAP rifle. Good mounts and glass have already been recommended.

You can save yourself lots of problems by starting out with a good coach. One of the nice things a coach can do is help you to avoid starting out with bad habits that you may later have to "unlearn". If you get it right at the beginning, you can continue going forward, rather than having to unlearn something, and learn it right before you can move forward.

I would vote LWRC and gap-10 in that order. I don't own either but get to shoot both quite a bit as my range buddy has both. They're both excellent but that's just my preference. Can't go wrong with either. Welcome and best of luck with your search

GAP-10 or LMT MWS. GAP is nicer, MWS is a beast.

Get the best glass you can afford.

S&B better glass, USO stronger build, custom made for you. NF would be my only other choice.

Good luck, 997/2

Nice list.

If you are looking for a great direct impingement rifle, the GAP 10 wins hands down. If it's a piston gun you are looking for, LWRC REPR and POF (I have a POF) are great choices.

The M1A/M14 is a good choice (I have an LRB), but they get to be very expensive to make accurate to the point of a good AR10 style rifle.
just my opinion...

I own 2 POF-308 16", and I am also window- shopping for a 20" GAP or GAP upper. Obviously, those are my top 2 choices.