• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Some Savage 110 questions

Cserv

Private
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2010
wherever I may roam...
I picked up an older Savage 110 '06, went to another sight to check out some stuff, and was advised that it is a pre-66 model and that I won't be able to change barrels and do my build. Is this truly so? Or will it just be way more difficult. I know we have a great knowledge base here, so Savage guys please help a brother out.
Thanks for any help/advise.
Eric

Re: Some Savage 110 questions

Barrels wont be a problem. As far as I know they are all the same for savage except for a difference between large and small shank. Look at the front of your barrel nut. If it has a step down, then the barrel is a large shank, just find one you like that's a large shank. If it doesn't have a step, it is a standard small shank.

Stocks might be difficult to find. You have to measure your bolt spacing and find a stock that will fit.

I found a lot of useful information and parts at northlander shooting supply.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cserv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes it has a barrel nut. The nut steps down and tapers. </div></div>
The barrel will be what has the step down in it, not the shank. Sorry if I didn't explain it well. Look just forward of the nut at the barrel. If it has a "shelf" meaning the diameter immediately shrinks here, then it is a large shank model.

If you still cant figure it out, call Savage and tell them your serial number, they will be able to tell you if it is large or small shank when they look it up in the computer.

Edit: As far as I know, if You would like to switch between large and small shanks, the only thing that is required is the correct barrel nut. I have a 111 receiver, and it is small shank. As far as I know all long actions are dimensionally similar except for possible variations in bottom metal screw spacings.

Eager to hit 100? I respectfully request that you forgo posting something useless, and instead post something useful that doesn't attack the other posters. I believe your post was not helpful in any way.

On an unrelated note Cserv, what do you plan to do with this rifle?

I am looking at rebarreling to a varmint contour at about 22 in. adding a dbm ,stock, and optics. It will be a hunting/target rifle to 700-800 hundred yards. Mostly hunt hogs and deer, some predator, paper and steel.
No step down on the barrel.
Thanks for the helpful info, and wow to the one douche trying to get posts.
Eric

What caliber? I'm assuming it is a staggered feed, if its older. If that is the case you either have to go with a cdi dbm or do a slight modification to the action to swap to a newer centerfeed dbm. The old staggered feed dbms had a button release on the side of the stock and it is hard to find replacement stocks for them. What brand of barrel do you plan to go with?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: want2Baccurate</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cserv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes it has a barrel nut. The nut steps down and tapers. </div></div>
The barrel will be what has the step down in it, not the shank. Sorry if I didn't explain it well. Look just forward of the nut at the barrel. If it has a "shelf" meaning the diameter immediately shrinks here, then it is a large shank model.

If you still cant figure it out, call Savage and tell them your serial number, they will be able to tell you if it is large or small shank when they look it up in the computer.

Edit: As far as I know, if You would like to switch between large and small shanks, the only thing that is required is the correct barrel nut. I have a 111 receiver, and it is small shank. As far as I know all long actions are dimensionally similar except for possible variations in bottom metal screw spacings. </div></div> The large and small shanks are more than just different nuts. The barrel thread diameter is different. 1.055" for the small shank and 1.125 for the large. If it's an older 30/06, its a small shank. Some of the really old Savages had the recess in the barrel like a remington. So the easy to find aftermarket barrels won't work out of the box. Any decent gunsmith with a lathe could modify one though. Personally, unless it's semtimental, I'd sell it and buy a little newer 110 to tinker with.

You could even go with a Stavens model 200 if you plan on heavily modifing it anyway... Cheap way to get a Savage action. Thats the route I went for my 338 edge build.