• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Some Vintage Gunsmithing because BuffaloWinter can't have all the fun...

And a bit more on the 'case' front today... Not the Army Navy case, but a period-looking case for a Confederate Whitworth sniper rifle (Pedersoli repro.)

Box made of cedar. It's 'sort of' like the originals. Though there are very few original surviving and they are all a bit different. So I just made something that I like.
View attachment 7769745

Long Reach funnel I made to use and go in the case. Turned from a solid brass bar with a brass tube soldered on . These were used to deliver the powder closer to the chamber than just pouring it down the muzzle. This led to better filling and more consistent shots.
View attachment 7769746

Hexagonal boolits... for the Whitworth. These are as-cast. Drop poured. My 'new generation' are hand poured from a ladle and much better.
View attachment 7769747

Piecing the compartments and box together. The three compartments at top with the ebony blocks in them will have covers with knobs on them.
View attachment 7769748

Paper patched whitworth bullets.
View attachment 7769749

All fun time in the shop over this Christmas weekend.

Cheers,

Sirhr
What kind of accuracy are getting? I've considered getting one( a repro). I had an old Civil War era target/sniper rifle, percusssion, with about a 1.25 inch barrel. Have since sold it, never got around to shooting it. With notable exceptions, like the Whitworth, Civil War era heavy barrel target rifles (missing the false muzzle) are pretty common for around $1,500.

Got more done on the Whitworth case today... but big 'finish' was to get my little patch knife done with a pewter pommel cap. It's based on a Revolutionary War CT Militia Button. The 'Hawk is from Rich McDonald of the Contemporary Longrifles Assn. Forged and gorgeous!

patch 1.jpg
Deer antler. German Silver pin. Forged/filed/ground blade. Copper lining in the lanyard hole.

patch 2.jpg

Size next to 'Hawk. Patch knives were tiny and for trimming the patches off round balls when inserting a patched ball in a muzzle-loader.

patch 3.jpg

Gratuitous picture of a really cool forged 'hawk!

patch 4.jpg

Pommel cap is a pewter button, affixed to the antler root and then polished.

I'll finish the Whitworth case tomorrow! Did hinges and one case corner today along with covers for the various compartments. Ordering some leather straps from Galazan, too. So it closes nicely!

Cheers,

Sirhr

What kind of accuracy are getting? I've considered getting one( a repro). I had an old Civil War era target/sniper rifle, percusssion, with about a 1.25 inch barrel. Have since sold it, never got around to shooting it. With notable exceptions, like the Whitworth, Civil War era heavy barrel target rifles (missing the false muzzle) are pretty common for around $1,500.
Excellent question... because I have not shot for groups yet. I did sight it in when I first got it and was getting about 3 at 100 yards. But I didn't like my cast boolits... and I was not 'really' trying for groups. No powder charge 'adjustment' either. Just 70 grains FFg. Just to get things in the center of the bull as best I could.

I've since switched my casting pot for this rifle to a dipper, not a drop pour. Those appear to do a better job filling out the hex mold, which is pretty big!

Subsequent 'testing' was shooting steel out to 200 and it just didn't miss once. Half-torso's and a couple of 'heads.' Just rang them and rang them. So it was definitely ready to shoot 'minute of Sedgewick' at the drop of a hat.

This summer I'll get some real accuracy testing going along with another rifle. This will be the 'control' group. I have seen Videos of 100 yard 1" groups with these guns. So I don't have any doubt that its going to be a really accurate piece!

Cheers,

Sirhr

PS... and a fun anecdote. I am not sure 'ringing' was the right word. Pounding might be better. While .30 cal bullets splash on the AR500, the huge .451 'Bolts' hammered the target over backwards. It has a 2" square steel stake into the ground... 2 feet deep into earth. Just smashed it backwards and I had to replant it. Interesting how the energy transfer was 'different' vs. a modern jacketed high velocity round!

Last edited:
Reactions: Modoc and ZG47A
Sir in your travels, if you get to Oklahoma City, visit the 45th Division Museum. They have one on display. They have a nice vehicle collection and a very nice collection of firearms and ephemera from the Civil War on. They also have a large section on Bill Maudlin.

Reactions: ZG47A
Excellent question... because I have not shot for groups yet. I did sight it in when I first got it and was getting about 3 at 100 yards. But I didn't like my cast boolits... and I was not 'really' trying for groups. No powder charge 'adjustment' either. Just 70 grains FFg. Just to get things in the center of the bull as best I could.

I've since switched my casting pot for this rifle to a dipper, not a drop pour. Those appear to do a better job filling out the hex mold, which is pretty big!

Subsequent 'testing' was shooting steel out to 200 and it just didn't miss once. Half-torso's and a couple of 'heads.' Just rang them and rang them. So it was definitely ready to shoot 'minute of Sedgewick' at the drop of a hat.

This summer I'll get some real accuracy testing going along with another rifle. This will be the 'control' group. I have seen Videos of 100 yard 1" groups with these guns. So I don't have any doubt that its going to be a really accurate piece!

Cheers,

Sirhr
Pretty good for the days of muskets, volley fire, and bayonet charge.
1640648579640.jpeg

Reactions: ZG47A
So finished the English case today... came out really well. Still needs a case label. Working on that. Used a nice red felt. It looks 'redder' in the photos.

case finished 1.jpg

With my C. 1910 Army Navy English 12 more. This gun is what would be called a Birmingham Best. Sold by Army-Navy store in London. Sort of an outfitter for British officers heading overseas to India, Africa, France and other third world countries. Very light and fitting sort of thing an Admiral would have had. As the case is 'named' to Admiral Jervis Tucker.

case finishe 3.jpg

Tomorrow, I'll finish up the Confederate Whitworth Sniper case. All the felting is done. Lids, too. Label is in. Need to do latches and leather straps and a nice leather handle. It's going to really look good! It's not intended to be a 'fine English' fitted case. More of a fitted transit or delivery case that they'd ship in. Though some of these rifles were ordered pre-war by Southern Plantation owners for competitions, etc. So the case is a cross between a simple shipping/transit case and a quality case befitting the highest-quality rifle one could buy in the late 1850's/early 1860's.

case finished 2.jpg

Some very cool accessories go in this one! Looking forward to getting this one finished as well. Case-making is always fun. Sort of the jewelry of our hobby.

Sirhr

Last edited:
So finished the English case today... came out really well. Still needs a case label. Working on that. Used a nice red felt. It looks 'redder' in the photos.

View attachment 7806545

With my C. 1910 Army Navy English 12 more. This gun is what would be called a Birmingham Best. Sold by Army-Navy store in London. Sort of an outfitter for British officers heading overseas to India, Africa, France and other third world countries. Very light and fitting sort of thing an Admiral would have had. As the case is 'named' to Admiral Jervis Tucker.

View attachment 7806544

Tomorrow, I'll finish up the Confederate Whitworth Sniper case. All the felting is done. Lids, too. Label is in. Need to do latches and leather straps and a nice leather handle. It's going to really look good! It's not intended to be a 'fine English' fitted case. More of a fitted case. Though some of these rifles were ordered pre-war by Southern Plantation owners for competitions, etc. So the case is a cross between a simple shipping/transit case and a quality case befitting the highest-quality rifle one could buy in the late 1850's/early 1860's.

View attachment 7806546

Some very cool accessories go in this one! Looking forward to getting this one finished as well. Case-making is always fun. Sort of the jewelry of our hobby.

Sirhr
What wood and finish on the Whitworth case? Love the blue. The other case felt looks pink.

What wood and finish on the Whitworth case? Love the blue. The other case felt looks pink.
Yeah... not pink ;-) But camera sure makes it look that way!

The finish is Minwax stain... kind of mixed with some reddish. The case is cedar. So reddened it a bit. The finish is a polymerized tung oil finish. I can send you the brand. It's made here in New England. I definitely like it. It's fantastic on maple and gunstocks!

Cheers,

Sirhr

So finished the Whitworth case today. Went a bit overboard including the ivory scrimshaw presentation plaque. Meh... go big or go home, I guess! Leather straps came out great. Got them from CSMC. Along with the case corners.

whit 1.jpg

Bit of mammoth ivory, scrimshawed with the Whitworth presentation info. I think he'd have made a nicer case if he presented a rifle to some shooter... or Jefferson Davis. I almost scrimshawed it to say "To John Sedgewick from Jos. Whitworth." Just for irony's sake. Sorry about my scrimshaw work. It sort of sucks compared to the masters.
whit 2.jpg

Inside the case with the box tops off. Wrapping paper, primers, grease, patches, tools, boolits, all the good stuff. Repro Whitworth label from Dixie Gun Works.
whit 3.jpg

Rifle with mold, etc. and the covers on the compartments. Box is Spanish Cedar, in case anyone was wondering. Got a deal on a couple of sheets at my local wood store. Best smelling shop in New England. Except for the cigar shop and the puerto rican bakery in Ludlow... but I digress.
whit 4.jpg

So, another fun project put to rest. This will go South in April with the Hinson Rifle for some empirical testing of Confederate Sniper capabilities. Right now, I can't say it shoots much better than minute of grapefruit at 200 yards. But have not really gotten into it. Just tested function. When I fired it into my steel silhouettes... it didn't so much group as knock them backwards on their posts. Thing hits like a ton of bricks.

I need to put this and the MRAD... maybe some others together for a photo... the modern cases and theold British case are such a great contrast. So much history.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Attachments

• whit 5.jpg
    whit 5.jpg
    771.1 KB · Views: 126
What's the projectile weight on the w
Whitworth and estimated velocity?
The results are amazing. Your a craftsman.
Thanks! The bolts (technically not bullets) are about 500 grains depending on alloy. You can put more tin in these and cast them pretty hard as they don’t engage rifling, instead riding the hex.

With 70 grains of ffg they run about 1400 fps (from tables - I have not chrono’d). Though some 1000byard shooters run up to 100 grains BP in them.

Hoping in April to have more data.

Thanks for the kind words!

Sirhr

Got more done on the Whitworth case today... but big 'finish' was to get my little patch knife done with a pewter pommel cap. It's based on a Revolutionary War CT Militia Button. The 'Hawk is from Rich McDonald of the Contemporary Longrifles Assn. Forged and gorgeous!

View attachment 7770410Deer antler. German Silver pin. Forged/filed/ground blade. Copper lining in the lanyard hole.

View attachment 7770411

Size next to 'Hawk. Patch knives were tiny and for trimming the patches off round balls when inserting a patched ball in a muzzle-loader.

View attachment 7770412
Gratuitous picture of a really cool forged 'hawk!

View attachment 7770413

Pommel cap is a pewter button, affixed to the antler root and then polished.

I'll finish the Whitworth case tomorrow! Did hinges and one case corner today along with covers for the various compartments. Ordering some leather straps from Galazan, too. So it closes nicely!

Cheers,

Sirhr
Beautiful work!!

Reactions: sirhrmechanic
You Sir do really exceptional work, so good in fact the average guy (BW excluded Lol) doesn't even grasp the complexity & difficulty involved, much less be able to replicate it.

Reactions: Modoc
What mould is that for the Whitworth and what does it cast?
Whitworth wasn’t rifled. It fired hexagonal “bolts” from a hexagonal bore. Long and aerodynamic (compared to a .577 minie) the hex ensured high velocity without stripping rifling.
These are also paper patched.

They make a very unique whistling sound. Union troops knew when a Confederate sniper was around because the Whitworth projectiles whistled or buzzed, depending on the account.

Sirhr
0FC83B9D-55AC-4528-8DA0-1BDDFD0379FD.jpeg

Have you measured the bolts and are they .451 from side to side? Who made the mould?

For the benefit of other members here, I have done extensive research on the blackpower muzzle loader sharpshooter who preceded the WW I sniper. My first book was on that subject matter (856 pages with endnotes and full bibliography) and while over 200 pages covers the flintlock era, over 500 covers the American Civil War where the Whitworth saw service in the Confederacy. Those corn-feds were hitting the Yankees at minium of 1325 yards distance (Fort Sumter to Cumings Point on Morris Island).

Most folks aren't aware of it but the first scoped rifle in America was made in 1776 by Boston instrument maker David Rittenhouse for portrait painter turned Continental Lt. Charles Wilson Peale. Since Peale didn't know about cheek weld and got a black eye from shooting, Rittenhouse fitted the rifle with springs to absorb the recoil. That took a few more years of research to figure out "springs". Apparently "V" springs were installed into a metal cup (like a slip on rubber recoil pad) that was fitted onto the rifle butt. Rittenhouse got that idea from a British gunmaker.

Last edited:
Reactions: D_TROS
Mmmm.... bad things. A co-worker was helping a friend's widow sell some guns a few years back. Bought a Ruger No.1 from her. Contacted her the following year about the rather impressive list of muzzle loaders to see what she still had. Made her a more than fair offer on a Pedersoli Missouri River Hawken I think it was. (I've been in that spot a couple times, selling guns for widows, not fun), But being mid covid, one of us was sick and something else going on and we never reconnected for the sale. Regret that.

But one of the things she had was a Parker Hale Whitworth. I think it was missing some small parts and I wondered about being able to replace them. (a lot of the guns seemed to be, he must had had many of them disassembled when he passed) That rifle tormented me for quite a while, going back and forth on buying it or not. It being it was a whole 'nother can of worms to open as far as guns go, plus knowing my iron sight days are pretty much behind me now sadly. After debating with myself for a couple weeks I talked myself out of it and made the other offer. Seeing this, and writing, I guess it still haunts me.

(just found the the list... the other can of worms was a percussion Sharps carbine, again another can of worms I was afraid to touch)

#cas6969 - You can try to find Parket Hale Enfield parts for the Whitworth. The Perdesoli Whitworth isn't the same as the one purchased by the Confederacy. The Confederate one as seen in the images from the 45th Infantry Div. Museum (Thunderbirds, OKC - free admission so no excuse for you cheap bastages not to visit it) has only a 33" barrel and is two band, not 36" and 3 band as made by Perdesoli. Because of the positions of the band, a new stock needs to be made (easy-peasy for a blackpowder gunsmith) and the barrel shortened. That extra 3" can be be made into two bullet moulds (bottom plug needs to be made). Some engraving (2nd Quality) needs to be done on the grip portion of the trigger guard. Additionally, I'm not sure if the bands on the Perdesoli are the correct ones (the bands for the Enfield used during the Civil War are different from the ones used in post-American Civil War - which happens to be the ones Perdesoli copied to make the Enfield). Those N-SSA guys are the experts on this subject matter.

The 45th ID Museum also has the howtizer captured from Mosby's Rangers and a swivel gun which has provenance to Adm. Dewey (he was a junior officer aboard the USS Mississippi when it was sunk at Port Hudson, Louisiana) of Manila Bay fame ('You may fire when ready, Gridley"). They also have Hitler's cape (donor during his childhood wore it to play Batman and was jumping off the garage roof when his father (a 45th ID man) said, "Hey, stop playing with Hitler's cape." Only at that point did the father realize the significance of the cape. He took it to wrap up and protect the chinaware he was looting. When donor grew up, he donated it to the museum).

Reactions: BScore
Also have a very good Bill Mauldin exhibit. The museum is well worth the visit.

Have you measured the bolts and are they .451 from side to side? Who made the mould?

For the benefit of other members here, I have done extensive research on the blackpower muzzle loader sharpshooter who preceded the WW I sniper. My first book was on that subject matter (856 pages with endnotes and full bibliography) and while over 200 pages covers the flintlock era, over 500 covers the American Civil War where the Whitworth saw service in the Confederacy. Those corn-feds were hitting the Yankees at minium of 1325 yards distance (Fort Sumter to Cumings Point on Morris Island).

Most folks aren't aware of it but the first scoped rifle in America was made in 1776 by Boston instrument maker David Rittenhouse for portrait painter turned Continental Lt. Charles Wilson Peale. Since Peale didn't know about cheek weld and got a black eye from shooting, Rittenhouse fitted the rifle with springs to absorb the recoil. That took a few more years of research to figure out "springs". Apparently "V" springs were installed into a metal cup (like a slip on rubber recoil pad) that was fitted onto the rifle butt. Rittenhouse got that idea from a British gunmaker.
Let’s hear more about this book.

If you just ask what’s a good price to sell it it’s not like you be violating and I be interested in reading it.

Also have a very good Bill Mauldin exhibit. The museum is well worth the visit.
Mauldin served in the 45th and left his original artwork to the 45th Museum. He starred with Audie Murphy in a b/w version of Stephen Crane's Red Badge of Courage. Recently I learned that when Audie played the young soldier, he refused to admit to his fear to the soldier protrayed by Mauldin. "I'm not going to admit my fears to a rear area inkslinger." The script had to be rewritten on the spot to have the Mauldin character admit to his fear and then the young soldier Murphy responding with, "Me too." I shared that with M. Gonzalez, the curator (and good guy)/director of the museum.
Let’s hear more about this book.

If you just ask what’s a good price to sell it it’s not like you be violating and I be interested in reading it.
My book Sharpshooters (1750-1900): The Men, Their Guns, Their Story provided the format that my other book, World War II Snipers: The Men, Their Guns, Their Story is patterend after. Chapters generally begin with a short discussion of the technology of the era and then the general campaign and then battles where marksmanship played some role. It begins with slightly before the French & Indian War (or Seven Years War in Europe) and why the rifle was slow to win acceptance among the militaries of Europe. You'll read about why the British Army briefly realized why aiming at marks had practical application. Remember the flick, Last of the Mohicans? It protrayed more of 1755 when Edward Braddock's Arrmy met a humilating defeat at the hands of the French Canadians and especially the Indians. By 1757, the British had a command, "Tree all!" which meant break ranks and hide yore arse behind a tree and fight from behind it. Of course, the flick didn't show that.

Second chapter covers the American Revolution and the rise (and fall) of the American Rifleman. They enjoyed a propaganda value until the Hessians showed that a bayonet charge brought them quickly to the feet (run away! run away!). Daniel Morgan at Saratoga worked with the light infantry and showed how teamwork was needed (gotta hide behind the safety of the light infantry bayonet fighters). Still, there were some battles in the South that were easily won b/c of riflemen. Look up Maham towers which were lincoln log structures built off site, diassembled and then reasembled overnight and allowed the Americans to dominate the British field fortifications.

Chapter 3 covers the War of 1812 and has an incident at the Battle of New Orleans which told of E. McBrank, the lone marksman who stood atop of the Jackson's parapet. It discusses his feat and provides a minimun distance that McBrank could have begun firiing at the approaching British. Longest range hit with a flintlock rifle (incredible 600 yds) was between an American and an Indian. It's not the longest and the longest supposedly goes to some feuding Corsicans.

Chapter 4 has marksmarship afloat where men shooting from the firing tops made a difference in ship to ship combat.

Chapter 5 covers The Texas War of Independence, the Mexican-American War and the Crimean War where the minie ball was introduced.

Chapter 6 covers technology with a more indepth discussion of conical bullets, the minie ball and its predecessors, fulminate of mercury for percussioon firing systems and the percussion cap, priming pellets, metallic cartridges and practical breechloading firearms (breechloaders were around since the flintlock era and before but sealing the breech was always an issue)

Chapter 7 discusses the Civil War sharpshooter. Who and what they were, how they were seleted, their training, etc. At over 100 pages, it's an exhaustive study of the subject matter. It also covers why Lee didn't initially raise sharpshooters when ordered by the Confederate adjutant general. Did you know that the periscope rifle was invented by the Yankees? It was a simple hand mirror that was stuck into the stock and hoisted above the trench. By looking at the mirror, the soldier could spot the Confederate headlog and skip a bullet down into the Confederate trench.

Chapter 8-10 covers the Army of the Potomac's battles against the Army of Northern Virginia.
Chapter 11 is devoted to coastal defense with the majority covering the Siege of Battery Wagner (Morris Island, South C'lina).
Chapter 12 covers the battles of the Army of Tennessee.
Chapter 13 covers the battles around the Mississippi (including Vicksburg, Port Hudson, Red River Campaign)
Chapter 14 coers post Civil War into WW I. Billy Dixon and other long range shots are discussed. The "snping" of the Boer War is covered too and "sniper" and "sniping" began being used. Do you guys know who Frederic Maurice Crum was? He was the KRRC officer who complained that they had to do something about the German snipers, but he didn't know what. Well, he later learned from a Gordon Highlander Sgt. Forbes and I've identified him as Sgt. John Keith Forbes and have his image in my book.

Chapter 15 is all about guns. Various muzzle loader types, sharpshooter rifles of the Civil War.
Afterword was written by Maj. Jim Land - Carlos Hathcock's boss.

It's endnoted and supported by a complete bibliography so you can check out my sources.

Log Cabin Shoppe in Lodi, Ohio has some copies (call them and ask for it since it's hard to find on their webiste) and so do I.

BTW, you can also probably borrow it via interlibrary loan for free (as well as my other book, World War II Snipers: The Men, Their Guns, Their Story (The curator at Fort Benning's Infantry Museum is using that book as a basis for setting up thier WW2 sniping exhibit. The museum's gift shop manager likes the book and is supposed to stock it on their shelves). Some of the major national battlefield parks have them (Sharpshooters) and this would include Springfield Armory, Gettysburg, Antietam, Fredericksburg/Chancellorsville/Spotsylvania Court House/The Wilderness, Richmond (Chimborazo), Petersburg and a few others. If you visit those places, ask the ranger.

Last edited: