• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Some vintage uniforms…..

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 6, 2011
    MA
    Checked EBay before going on vacation for khaki cotton USMC WWII uniform….,

Love the khaki from that era though all those guys were malnourished so there are never modern human sizes.

Scored a size 5 shirt with size 34 waist pants…..

image.jpg
    image.jpg

Tell on the WWII vintage is the linen lining on the placket…..

image.jpg

Wonder who the dude was that I now will wear his trou…..

image.jpg

I actually wear the pants for work and the shirts are super light cotton great as quick cover….at the beach alll week I wore a reproduction WWII Navy chambray shirt……super light weight, good for lounging in.

These 1940s clothes tend to have super long tuck in length tails though almost look like sundresses…….

Last edited:
    I've bought some original pants off Ebay and some repro stuff from At The Front. I like the HBT pattern stuff.

I've bought some original pants off Ebay and some repro stuff from At The Front. I like the HBT pattern stuff.
    Have an At the Front repro khaki shirt.

They tend to be heavier cotton than the originals - the originals were "tropical weight" - great summer shirts.

Reactions: Average guy
    There are lots of Army khaki shirts on Ebay...I just Google USMC Cotton Khaki WWII.

The USMC sized them 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6........I dont belive they went larger than 6.

I have a size 4 the At the Front Repro is size 4 and it is slightly big on me.

I have a WWII size 3 that is too small.

I have a WWII size 4 that is about like the At the Front but bigger than this new one that is size 5 - Dude may have tailored it.

Lots of Size 1 and 2 on Ebay - you better have anorexia if you expect to fit one. Modern humans dont fit this stuff.

The Marines were crazy to abandon khaki....great unifroms for tropical climates. The polyester khaki they wear now sucks compared to this gear. Dispense with the miltary creases and wear it like the work shirt it is meant to be.

I dig khakis for work.....

The Marine Corps left a great uniform when they moved away from cotton khaki....Elmo Haney getting his Silver Star in khaki.

Pop-Haney-copy-300x241.jpg

Last edited:
    What's the original designation? If I was to look for one.

Do you weigh less than 170, chest smaller than 42?

Maybe 15 neck 30 sleeve and dont do curls?

The size 3 I have may fit you.

The Sateen uniform was the best looking, and most comfortable, uniform IMHO.

Reactions: n2ishun
    More than 40 years later, mine are still in perfect condition and I've not been kind to them.
    They have never torn or frayed and have never stained.
    They are heavy weight though and can be quite hot to wear in summer heat.

More than 40 years later, mine are still in perfect condition and I've not been kind to them.
    They have never torn or frayed and have never stained.
    They are heavy weight though and can be quite hot to wear in summer heat.

Like herringbone.......kind of hot and heavy.

Have one of my FIL's M-1941 herringbone jackets, they were still issuing them in the late 50s.

I'd call it a midweight shirt suited to a cooler day.

It's a much lighter shade of green than olive drab but still when the sun hits your back you can feel it.

I really like history in this sort of thing. Thanks.

And now... May I tell a short story I find very satisfying?

I have an old buddy, ex-Marine, who's 81. He was in the USMC in 61-63? Anyway, he gets a strange phone call one day a few years ago from some guy in California.

"... Are you ------? From ------, Missouri?"
    "Yeah. Why?"

Long story short, a big box shows up on his porch. Inside was my buddy's USMC foot locker from back then. You know... the big OD green wooden box with the removeable tray on top. He had written his name & Hometown inside it. Somehow the Cali guy had found it somewhere and called to send it back to him. A small piece of history had come home...

I enjoy watching old re-runs of the Gene Roddenberry TV series called "The Lieutenant" on Youtube.

I didn't find the name yet in the PDF... but apparently Albert W. Rasmussen is mentioned in this Newsletter.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Reactions: camocorvette
    Do you weigh less than 170, chest smaller than 42?

Maybe 15 neck 30 sleeve and dont do curls?

The size 3 I have may fit you.
    Thanks but age has made me a bit larger than that. All that stuff was made for younger (and thinner) men!

Reactions: pmclaine
    I didn't find the name yet in the PDF... but apparently Albert W. Rasmussen is mentioned in this Newsletter.

Cheers,

Sirhr
    He is mentioned on page 26 as contributing to the 1st Mar Div Scholarship fund, so I guess he was alive in 2009.

Found a Sgt Albert W Rasmussen in First Div Association from Washington State

Let’s see what we can find.

Don’t think this uni ever saw action.

Shirt seems to be brand new judging by the IPs that extend from button hole to next button hole as a remnant of manufacture.

Last edited: