• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Something to think about when taking pics.

Re: Something to think about when taking pics.

should have moved rifle forward a little...
Scott_2009_101.jpg

I saw one bigger than that yesterday......grin!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I saw one bigger than that yesterday......grin! </div></div>

did you see the turdy point'R ??

He always seems to get away! Like the big fish I almost got into the net!!

scan0023-2.jpg

Shadow face...

scan0044.jpg

Youngsters are always the best and easiest to get good pics of..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i liked this bad boy so much.... i had him bronzed....

DSC_0554.jpg
</div></div>

that is gonna leave a mark ! LOL

Wow, I didn't expect this to take off like it has. Very nice! If people would spend a little time studying these pics to see what they like and don't like, while trying to visualize the position the camera was located in, it would almost be like dry firing your rifle I think.

Sendero, Tyler is one lucky rascal, what a place to be raised up in, with a dad that hunts that much. He's having quite a year for sure. DUDE! B&C and no field pictures!! I don't know what to say about you son.
smile.gif

Logan too Pat, I'd have given about anything to have grown up where you guys live.

You guys just have to show all those outstanding Mule Deer and Elk. I've got all the kids I need so I'd be happy to donate either nut to be able to hunt those guys. Of course Pat had to include the Dall Sheep too, thanks a lot Pat!

Sendero, I hesitate to say anything about any of your pics. You've got so many that some will be better than others. If it's with a special person though, like all of Tyler's firsts this year, then I'd take twice as many pictures at I thought I could use and I'd play with different settings on the camera too. You never can tell what may turn out to be a really neat shot.

It's kind of hard to get good pictures of the dog, cat, and bear groups, in my limited experience. Here's a few of a Jackal I shot right at dark. I could barely make him out in the dark and was happy to have the illuminated reticle for sure on this animal. I've really enjoyed the camera we bought to take on the trip, it was a Nikon Coolpix P100.

05b33946.jpg

15d0f82a.jpg

4d73010d.jpg

Rule number 14 - Try not stand next to famous people when you are having your picture taken.

TigerBuck.jpg

Did this little photoshop to a friends animal last year.

PGS and Sendero_man, your sons are very lucky to have fathers like your selves. thanks for sharing the photos.

PGS and Sendero_man need to start their own hunting show. Those are awesome pictures and a ton of nice animals. Thanks for the show.

This has been a good thread, for sure. One thing I'll reiterate, is don't be afraid to take A LOT of pictures. I feel self-conscious in the field setting up tons of pictures on the self timer. I aim not to be vain, but a little vanity goes a long way when reviewing and adjusting field shots. And you know what, when ever I get home and review them, I am glad I didn't skimp. If anything, I almost always wish I had a few more of each angle, and a few more angles. Here is an antelope hero shot, that I really like how the composition turned out on. I took 60 self timer shots (3 at a time, so 20 setups). It took a lot of time and all my patience. And I got ONE that stands out from the pack for it.

P1010178.JPG

My biggest challenge is actually getting good field pictures when hunting with someone who either doesn't value good field pictures, or who just doesn't understand how much work goes into them. I love my dad, and spending time hunting with him, but he takes pictures like he's paying for them, even with my DSLR.

He went on an antelope hunt with me in Wyoming this year, and I took a pretty nice antelope, 78+ and easily my best. I made him take a few, and more than he probably wanted, and I'm still not as happy with how they turned out as with the one above, despite having another person and a DSLR. Below are my favorites of what we did get. Good, but I see room for improvement.

DSC_0090.JPG

DSC_0093.JPG

CIMG2165.JPG

In this mule deer picture, the deer had just busted off one of his forks, and I hadn't found all of it (yet, I did two days later) and was a bit bummed. That shouldn't have stopped me from moving the rifle out of the background on this one, and maybe hiding some blood. I've put the rack back together at home but my field pictures will never reflect that, and I really can't help that. It will remain an especially special deer none-the-less, and I've never had a better day hunting, or with a better hunting partner.

CIMG2167.JPG

I really like this angle, but there's lots wrong with this picture. The deer is just too far to the side, although with the background available (I personally really like the dark ridge in the background, but it isn't universal) cheating the deer and I to that side does make sense, just not to that extreme. There is a pack lid laying in the picture, and I'm not smiling that well.

CIMG2168.JPG

I generally like this view on typical mulies, but I don't like having my face behind the antlers.

CIMG2171.JPG

This picture is probably the best I've got of this deer. I'm glad I've got them, that's for sure. That said, there was a lot of time pressure and it was a 24 hour+ day backpacking in the mountains as it was. Sitting here a couple of years later, I wish I'd of sucked it up and taken twice as many.

My first mule deer. I wasn't as picky on trophy shots back then as I am now, but I was still pickier than my partner (an otherwise great hunting partner) who was taking the pictures. Decent pictures? Yes! As good as they could have been? Nope.

CIMG1558.JPG

CIMG1585.JPG

I'm pretty happy with how this year's mule deer pictures turned out. The antlers could have used more contrast with the background, but the sky was a ways away, I was by myself, and it was really hard to keep the deer from rolling down the slope it was on as it was. They aren't perfect, but I've no regrets.

P1010554.JPG

P1010548.JPG

I'm from Bozeman. Just updated my profile but it doesn't seem to have refreshed just yet.

lived there from 88 to 94 went to MSU on the six year plan. LOL

was a ski instructor at Bridger Bowl for 2 winters... Bozone has changed a lot since those days !

lasthunt002.jpg

A 28", heavy old buck we took yesterday with two good friends. My buddy's girl friend's very first deer...she was thrilled as you can tell!! Earlier that morning, she shot her first elk. My GAP .308 was on loan to her and she knew how to shoot it!(I'm lucky to get back home with it....grin!) The elk was 455 meters, this buck was right where you want them....60 meters after a long and intense sneak and peak hunt through the timber. 155gr scenar, per usual.

lasthunt005.jpg

A little closer shot...

lasthunt010.jpg

Self timed shot of all three of us...

Great pictures guys and some very good pointers for all us hunters who take a camera with us to the field. Been more than a few pics I'd like to do over and a few that turned out okay but I keep learning. Gotta love the flexibility of digital camera.

Great photo's fellas. Lot's of really nice game there. Couple years back I shot a very nice whitetail and only got a tailgate photo (175" 6x7). The next year I took this cull buck and thought I would play with the camera a bit. Even if you are a solo hunter, get as many pics as possible. I have taken a lot of great trophies over the years, but have very few photo's of them.
09Whitetail.jpg

There's alot wrong with it but I always liked this picture.

Picture100.jpg

I recognize some of those folks PGS. Glad you guys had a successful time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
lasthunt005.jpg

A little closer shot...

lasthunt010.jpg

Self timed shot of all three of us... </div></div>

You can bet if Kurt is involved there are some good critters to be had.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tyler and nice bull

TB_elk.jpg
</div></div>

Double main beam? Gotta another picture of that side?

Sendero_man and PGS,,, you boys are going to have ghosts haunting you for years. Nice critters. Like the thread,,, taking good hunting photos is an art. I usually have to do mine off a timer since i hunt alone most of the time but I do know a couple guys that have the touch,,, make the 130's look like 160's.

One of my favorites I got this year.. My dad and my 4yr old boy (soon to be five) swapping a shell as the boy works over the target with his cricket.

100_1560.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KClark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There's alot wrong with it but I always liked this picture.

Picture100.jpg
</div></div>

That's a neat photo

some of you guys are going to have to take me hunting (looking at you, Sendero man)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Copper91</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One of my favorites I got this year.. My dad and my 4yr old boy (soon to be five) swapping a shell as the boy works over the target with his cricket.

100_1560.jpg
</div></div>

that is a great picture.... smiles tell it all !

I like the old time looking photo.... have some of my Dad's we found after he passed.

Did you guys have a sepia setting on the camera ?

I wanted to thank Tburkes for starting this thread and all of you who have contributed. I put some of the great advice to use last night on this muley I took in western KS. Still room for improvement as I couldn't remember all the great advice but I went back and re-read this thread today to hopefully do better next time.

IMG_4499.jpg

Congrats on a really cool buck!! He's old and has a lot of character!

Pictures taken at dusk are always a challenge with the fading light.It also seems like we are in a hurry to get going after dark and tend to not take the time to make sure we get the "money shot". Maybe try to clean up the mouth a little....get rid of the tongue. You should be able to clean up the redeye with the edit feature on your photo gallery.

Got a pretty bad story as far as getting a photo! Just got back from a bowhunt I do in Eastern Colorado just before Thanks giving. Got on a buck the second day, spent 6 days after him, many close calls and finally closed the deal on him the last day. After I hit him he took off into a draw in the middle of a CRP field tok a header into the bottom, about 8 feet or so, landed on his horns and head and snapped the rack all up. Gathered up most of the pieces and pieced the rack back together and rough scored him at between 224-228". He is 35 1/2 wide outside, 31 1/4 inside, 7X7 with some sticker points. Probably the biggest deer I will ever kill. Had no tape with me in the field and got no pics of him. Have one of him with my outfitter holding it up the next day before taking it to the taxidermist to get it fixed and mounted but that is it. Anyway here are a few pics of some of my animals, this one I took in eastern Colorado with the Bowtech, horns blend in with the back and camera was too high I think.

DSCN0027.jpg

This one turned out much better. Took this one last year in the same area but with a rifle. Scored 202" for a typical 4X4!

IMG_2415.jpg

Heres a good pic of a speed goat I took in NM last year, turned out good with the camera angle low and skylighted horns.

IMG_0709.jpg

Man, theres alot of great pics, i will remember your helpful info Tburkes, thanks for the additon heads up when taking pics in general and in the field.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tburkes</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I suspect that this picture may have been taken with the delay since this hunter may have been by himself.
473b10de.jpg

Yep had to use the delay... but still should of matted the grass and taken pics from a few different angles.

</div></div>

DSC00056.jpg

its, my second job LOL, got a dvd commin and thats on the cover.

skinney-thats badass man. wish you could come out to my ranch, theyre hittin our kid goats and lambs like theyre candy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
scan0019-7.jpg

One I've always regretted....sitting on top of the animal is not cool...plus my rifle muzzle is pointed right at me. </div></div>

Good point:

Maybe it's just a pet peeve of mine, but for the life of me, I don't know why 90+ % of all pics show the rifle pointed at or in the same direction as the shooter, lying across the animal, with action closed.

I guess I may be 'hyper-sensitive' re: muzzle control and gun safety, but geesh, wonder if anyone has been shot or had any accidental discharges?

Do it safe gang...

I'd almost forgotten about this thread. Really nice pictures guys, keep up the good work, and you're welcome KSKevin and Skinney. I'm glad to be able to help out a little.

those are a lot of nice pictures!

here are some of mine... some good, others not so much.

this one i like a lot. it just looks good to me.. mount lassen bear. california.
aaronbear7.jpg

these are the bucks my brother and i got this past season. kansas. this could have been an awesome picture for both of us! i kept telling him lets take them to the grass and take nice pictures but he didnt want to cause he didnt feel well. he said to me recently that he regretted not taking better pictures. this was an old old old buck i got on the left and probably the biggest deer my brother will get for a long time! free range whitetail!
double.jpg

another buck of mine that i should have taken better pictures with.
kansas2010.jpg

you know htey always take the best pictures for you in africa! haha
DSCN0268.jpg

DSCN0256.jpg

took these two turkeys by myself. unfortuantely i wasnt able to take nice pictures by myself so i had my friend take them...a not so good picture. you dont find turkeys in the garage! haha
002.jpg

another buck... you can see whats wrong with it. haha.
004.jpg

thats all i have for now.