• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Something to think about when taking pics.

Re: Something to think about when taking pics.

I'm going to resurrect this one for you Tburkes, as I feel there is a LOT of useful tips in that first post and James (skinney) and I have taken a lot of those tips and put them into daily practice.
It's very hard when you're buy yourself (in the case of his elk that you linked in the first pic), but it can be done and I wish I would have been along on that hunt, to film AND to take the pictures.

It's really disappointing to see people try and memorialize a hunt, by taking a picture of something dead in the back of the pickup. I had this conversation with my dad just days ago. He wanted to take his deer, (that had been hanging for 30 hours) back out into the field to try and get a picture of.
After 10 minutes of him trying to crank and stretch it back into a proper position, I said it was a serious waste of time and I hope he learned his lesson.

Here's my west river white tail from this season, and we took close to 30 pics in order to find this ONE that I felt was adequate for people to see. I wish I had some baby wipes to try getting some of the blood off his mouth, but at least it wasn't all over the body.
Hopefully, it's obvious that we've learned our lessons and look forward to continue bringing quality pictures to the table.

665063_577977502766_1248477931_o.jpg

Since hunting season is upon us I thought I'd bring this post up again as a reminder for when the trophy's on the ground.

Safe hunting.

This thread rocks! I'm going to add a few from the past couple years......and hopefully a few from this coming season.

scan0038.jpg

Hunting pics aren't totally about the kill. This one takes me back almost 30 years to a great solo hunt made for unlimited bighorn sheep in Montana's Taylor Hilgard Wildernss area.....I can still smell the Whitebark pines right at timberline.

scan0050.jpg

A beautiful Dall's ram I helped a good friend take back in 1991.

scan0012-2.jpg

Myself and one of the best hunting pardners I've ever had.....he's long gone now, but not forgotten.

scan0026-2.jpg

Antelope are always very "photogenic". One of my favorite animals to hunt and photograph.

IMG_0332.jpg

Another antelope buck taken with a great shot by a really fine young man I had the priviledge of guiding a few years back.

scan0002-6.jpg

Many Octobers ago.....

2644cuc.jpg

331hovo.jpg

Wish I had taken better pics of this monster bodied bull. His rack left a bit to be desired, but he was a huge bull.

Just found this thread - hope its Ok if I put up a couple pictures. I'm also a solo hunter mostly so either I forget to take any or they don't turn out for the best. Anyway, here are a couple.

Here is one scenery picture I actually took that's looks kind of nice

scan0021-5.jpg

This one kind of has the look of an oldtime picture......I guess it was 27 years ago.

scan0015-7.jpg

Another one from the archives....I was retrieving a load of elk meat from a nice 6X6 bull I shot the day before and ran into this nice buck. This was another self-timed shot.

Couple more

Another solo picture that mostly turned out - just down the road a bit from Sendero_Man

My tallest antelope buck - so far!

My 1st Wyoming antelope, should of moved the head over a bit so horns would show a bit better

scan0038-3.jpg

Hunting bear near Alaska's Fidalgo Bay, near Prince William Sound.

SheepHunt2006119.jpg

A moment of silence shared with a great hunting pardner and one of the best outdoorsman I know. This ram was taken in one of Montana's unlimed areas. One of the greatest big game hunting challenges in the entire world.

SheepHunt2006164-1.jpg

Grilling sheep tenderloins at the finest eating establishment in Montana.....those of you that have eaten wild sheep out in the bush will agree.

All these photo's go me going!! Headed to as some say "307" on 10-9 to find a good antelope buck. Here's a bull I took in 2012 in unit 59 in wyo. Took 20 some pix but I like this one the best.
2011elk.jpg
[/URL]

Pokes,

Good luck! I bet there's a few guys here on the hide who will be killing speed goats on 10-9 in the 307!

Here's mine from this morning:

db30b44f617b9c85c31532694f765369.jpg

With the Bighorns picture:

01de2ca9666e898df5c95a40fa06733f.jpg

something to think about:

I forget which magazine it was, but they publish photos of people and their take.
they set a list of standards for publishing, that included in part the general admonition to "Show respect for the animal".
Among their list of items that I remember included "wipe the blood off the animals mouth"
and "Tuck the animal's tongue back into it's mouth".
I notice that the most pleasing photos are not only posed well, but have an animal that has been cleaned up a bit.
We are targeted in general for much of our life style, so it is important that others not be able to use our own photos against us.
There is some beautiful game, wonderful breathtaking scenery, and hunters with grins that look like you couldn't get them off with a hammer and cold chisel.
Good thread.

I didn't read through every page of this thread so I'm not sure if this has been stated already, but remember to tuck the tongue back into the mouth. Most of the photos I did view on this thread it appears as if everyone knows this already.

Not the greatest picture but it was hot and we needed to get him skinned out, deboned, and on ice.

Wish we would have gotten a better shot with his head in the sky.

We tried to get a good pic of this one but I uglied it up.

This one would have be great if I was using a camera instead of my cell phone.

Glad this was brought back to the top. There is a lot of great info on this thread and a bunch to be learned for sure. I have learned from mistakes over the years, but it is nice to know I am not the only one that has taken bad pictures. Pat said it best take as many pictures as you can because only a few turn out. I have thought I had plenty only to get home and only have one good one out of 50. I have some horrible pictures of great animals when I used to carry the disposable film cameras in my pack. I still have the memories but if I only had it to do over.

scan0038-3.jpg

Hunting bear near Alaska's Fidalgo Bay, near Prince William Sound.

SheepHunt2006119.jpg

A moment of silence shared with a great hunting pardner and one of the best outdoorsman I know. This ram was taken in one of Montana's unlimed areas. One of the greatest big game hunting challenges in the entire world.

Truly some incredible photos and even more inspiration to try the Unlimited in a few years. Thanks, Pat....

Here are a few I wish I would have done a little better. Wish I'd turned a fill flash on for Dad's buck last year. We were bushed after a long couple days...

These photos were tough as they were taken with the self timed camera sitting on my pack in some fairly steep dead-fall. I wish I took the time to get this buck photographed on the skyline at least once or twice. Still a very good token of a day I'll never forget.